Start by marking “Runt: Memories of a Dyslexic Bastard” as Want to Read:
Runt: Memories of a Dyslexic Bastard

Runt: Memories of a Dyslexic Bastard

Runt knows there are things within him that makes him different; just what they are is not clear. His dad calls him a 'runt bastard', his teacher calls him a 'defiant brat', and his mother doesn't call him at all. His brother skips grades, while he has to repeat them. The only good thing in his life Bee, his slightly older niece.
Published July 18th 2009 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Runt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Runt

Lindsay
Jan 04, 2010 Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Lindsay by: The author
I was asked by Ray Shoop to review his book, Runt: Memories of a Dyslexic Bastard. This book examines many themes, including abuse, war, relationships, and living with learning disorders. This book immerses you in the lifestyle of a hillbilly family in the 1940's, letting you glimpse their joy, pain, heartache, and resilience in hard times. Shoop does for the Woodrum family in the rural 1940's what Steinbeck did for the Joad family in The Grapes of Wrath.

Runt is about a young boy, initially seve
Linda B
Dec 05, 2009 Linda B rated it it was amazing
Book Description:
Runt knows there are things within him that makes him different; just what they are is not clear. His dad calls him a 'runt bastard', his teacher calls him a 'defiant brat', and his mother doesn't call him at all. His brother skips grades, while he has to repeat them. The only good thing in his life is Bee, his slightly older niece.

My Review:
Runt is a view of life from the eyes of a child of a backwoods mountain family. It is a wonderfully vivid tale of the family in times of f
S.G. Rainbolt
Oct 12, 2011 S.G. Rainbolt rated it did not like it
Shelves: burn-pile
If there was a way to rate this .5 star, I would. I choose to say, generally, nice comments about an author's effort in storytelling. But it pains me (greatly) to have to admit I read this book (to a certain point). It is my opinion that certain books need to have a disclaimer on them when they have to do with child sexual abuse. What frightens me is that this book was available to the general public (meaning children could have picked up this book) and been exposed to this completely ...more
Sheri Fresonke Harper
Feb 21, 2013 Sheri Fresonke Harper rated it really liked it
Shelves: culture
I was very pleased by the quality of this self-published book; it was well edited and the cover package was fitting. I found Ray Shoop’s storytelling compelling. The story is told by a first person narrator, Run, who as hero slowly reveals his background growing up during the years leading to World War II. The historical aspects of farm life feel odd to many of us who’ve grown up with a room all our own or shared with just one brother or sister or who’ve seen the huge commercialized modern farms ...more
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2012
Alexander Briggs
Alexander Briggs marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014