Start by marking “Secret Six, Vol. 2: Depths” as Want to Read:
Secret Six, Vol. 2: Depths

Secret Six, Vol. 2: Depths (Secret Six #2)

When Batman's cowl winds up for grabs after his death in FINAL CRISIS, two members of the Secret Six think they have what it takes to be the new Dark Knight. But will Robin put up with the unruly team in his hometown? And where have all the forgotten heroes and villains of the DC Universe been? The Six are blackmailed by someone claiming to be their old boss, Mockingbird, ...more
Published April 13th 2010 by DC Comics (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Six, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Six, Vol. 2

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1 by G. Willow WilsonSaga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanMs. Marvel, Vol. 2 by G. Willow WilsonSaga, Volume 2 by Brian K. VaughanMs. Marvel, Vol. 3 by G. Willow Wilson
Diverse Heroes in Comics/Graphic Novels
109th out of 142 books — 20 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreSaga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreLocke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe HillBatman by Frank Miller
Greatest Graphic Novels
230th out of 259 books — 121 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
Jun 08, 2014 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Every bit as enjoyable as the first volume, with the added benefit of a more interesting story. The headline story, Depths, is probably helped by at least a passing understanding of Amazons. Lucky me, I have that understanding. But even without that, watching each character have individual reactions to finding themselves in the role of defenders of slavery. It's interesting to see how prisons, and the treatment of prisoners in particular, is Bane's hot button issue. As well it should be. I'm ...more
Sophie
Apr 08, 2010 Sophie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, favorites
Secret Six is one of my favorite series. The Secret Six aren't heroes, that much is certain, but you can't quite call them villains, either. That position is part of what makes this book so interesting - that, and the fact that the stories are always interesting and engaging and explore the lines that we draw to distinguish between good and evil. Add to that a group of really well-written characters (some of which are hot and some of which are not, but all of which are lovable, in their way) and ...more
Seth
Jun 05, 2015 Seth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Here's the part where I talk about how great Gail Simone, and rightfully so. She is pretty Boss! This Secret Six series is so good, the team is way cooler than the Suicide Squad and the witty banter between the members is fantastic, it adds a great sense of comic relief to most hairy situations the Six run into. The way Simone has set up each member's relationship to the other team members is also quite interesting. There are some really dynamic relationships within the team. My favorite being ...more
Lynda
Mar 01, 2012 Lynda rated it really liked it
Lots of action and fun in this volume, but it is the character building that shines through.
The Library Ladies
May 27, 2016 The Library Ladies rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
As much as I do love a good dark and twisted story, I am also quite the fan of fluffy, goofy, one off side stories that round out my favorite characters. That’s the reason that I do find myself reading comics skewed towards younger readers, such as “Li’l Gotham” and “Itty Bitty Hellboy”. I am usually very excited when the adult comics I read go in a more light hearted direction, and I was very happily surprised when Secret Six even got in on this action, at least a little bit, in “Depths”. I ...more
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it really liked it
Gail Simone gives readers another collection of dark, challenging, and hilarious stories about complex villains trying to get through their daily adventures. This volume begins with a couple of single-issue stories to flesh out the personalities of the main characters: in the first, three of the Secret Six members go on a double date (well, with a fourth member secretly stowing away for comedy), and in the second, the other three members try to take down some kidnappers who are trying to run ...more
Marc Lucke
May 26, 2016 Marc Lucke rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction

As much as I enjoyed Unhinged, I have to agree wholeheartedy with other reviewers who've pointed out the improved writing in Depths. From the opening scene with Scandal, Liana and Insignificus, Simone displays her trademark ability to blend the banal with the extraordinary: the encounter in the supermarket is layered, funny and revealing.

(as an aside, I love Insignificus: Simone's skewering a very particular kind of misogyny here and I think it's brilliant. Even while he's superficially obsequio

ElphabaNewlin
We once again join our favorite anti-hero troupe, this time having to navigate Amazons, a prison island, and an event filled double date. I gotta say, this series is still going pretty darn strong for me.

I definitely love the humorous story lines more than the serious ones, though that isn't to say that I dislike the darker tone. The funny story lines just jump off the page, letting the characters fully shine and banter off each other, which is my favorite part of this series. I like Deadshot an
M
Jul 30, 2011 M rated it really liked it
After the brutal carnage of the first volume, the second seems almost tame by comparison. Battle lines are drawn as the team faces both love and prison duty. Summonded to a remote island, the Six are asked to be jailers and oversee the slave mine being run. The discovery of the Amazon warrior Artemis amongst the prisoners - as well as their horrific treatment - splits the team down the middle. Forced to battle Wonder Woman, each other, and the mythical Grendel, the Six proves that every family ...more
Shannon Appelcline
Aug 25, 2012 Shannon Appelcline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, comics-dc
More great characterization and some nice background on our newest cast member. The Scandal Savage and Gotham stories that lead things off are both terrific. They give us nice, in-depth looks at several of the characters, advance their stories, and at time offer laugh-out-loud humor [8.5/10]. The continued story, Depths, is quite good for what it reveals about the characters, but it probably goes an issue too long [7.5/10].
Danielle Bahr Barbosa
Aug 17, 2016 Danielle Bahr Barbosa rated it really liked it
Issue #8 is a MASTERPIECE!!! I think I'd never laughed so hard as I did when Scandal Savage was at the Val-Star or when they went to a double date together. The dark humor was perfectly written and I screamed with laughter most of parts.

I'm a big fan of the Amazons and I usually love the stories involving them, but this one didn't particularly caught me, the slavery issue and all. That's why I gave the 4 stars and not 5.

Cale
May 04, 2013 Cale rated it really liked it
This is one of the toughest reads on the Secret Six collection. With a focus on slavery, including arguments for and against, the team ends up split on ideological differences. The story is brutal, and reminds you that the Secret Six are villains, even if they spend as much time fighting other villains as they do heroes. That it can delve into issues like it does says wonders for Simone's writing abilities.
Jeremy DeBottis
Nov 14, 2014 Jeremy DeBottis rated it really liked it
This took what started in volume 1 and took it further and crazier and even better. A chapter in here takes place in a Batmanless Gotham city, which alone makes the book worth reading. The humor in this volume is stepped up and makes for even a more entertaining read than the first. Based on the first two I plan to continue to check out the other volumes.
Corey
Jan 05, 2014 Corey rated it it was amazing
How is Gail Simone not the Editor-In-Chief of DC Comics yet? Everything she writes is great! She took a series about a ragtag group of villains that no one would care about (save for Deadshot and Bane), and made them into a weird AntiHero Team of villains who take any job, but usually go against the orders as it seems to be against their code of ethics.
Shaun
Jun 05, 2012 Shaun rated it really liked it
This volume got me thinking how similar the dynamic of the Secret Six is to the crew of the Serenity in Firefly. The crew of the Serenity with a much lower average sanity and a much lower regard for human life. Not only is this book a fun wild ride, it's a fascinating examination of human relationships and right and wrong by degrees.
Angela
Mar 10, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, dc
The team have a couple of fun outings and then a serious one. Dates are always interesting when you promise that nobody will be killed. Bane honours Batman's memory. The team gets tricked into helping slavers. Some great stories and nice characterisations. A great read.
Jay
Nov 09, 2012 Jay rated it really liked it
I wonder why this is so darn hard to find in stores and so expensive on eBay. Second arc of Secret Six was a great read. Scandal Savage does some serious gory stuff here. Art was decent throughout Depths.
Todd
I'm worried about Floyd Lawton on the big screen because I can't imagine he'll be nearly as fun as he is here. Also without Catman to bromance I worry he won't be as interesting. Bane is awesome. Ragdoll is a creepy dandy.
Markus Seaberry
Apr 25, 2010 Markus Seaberry rated it it was amazing
This is actually the second trade of the current series. For some reason, the subtitle "Depths" is not showing up in the title. Awesome read, Ragdoll is crazy, Catman is badass, and Deadshot is awesome. All of the characters are very interesting. Gail Simone, you rock my world!!
Alan
Jul 07, 2010 Alan rated it liked it
The first two chapters were an excellent mix of humor and anti-hero snark. This is not to downplay the remainder of the TPB which centers on the questions of restoring legal slavery to save the world, and the near dissolution of the team.
Sonic
May 21, 2011 Sonic rated it really liked it
Very fun and twisted bumpy ride with some great villains.

As D.C. Berman once asked:

"Why can't monsters get along with other monsters?"

Andrew
Jan 24, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The second story you see why they are not really acting as indiviual heroes or villians, you see more back story given and its a fun right from start to finish. Everyone should read these books.
Sophia
Sophia rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2014
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
S.J. Hollis
S.J. Hollis rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2013
Kadeem Blackwood
Kadeem Blackwood rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2014
Pat Donahue
Pat Donahue rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Mutant Supermodel
Oct 06, 2014 Mutant Supermodel rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love this group
James Young
James Young rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2014
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 4: End Game
  • Power Girl, Vol. 2: Aliens and Apes
  • Legion of Super-Heroes, Vol. 2: Death of a Dream
  • Batman: Arkham Reborn
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".
More about Gail Simone...

Secret Six (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Villains United