The Historian as Detective - Essays on Evidence

The Historian as Detective - Essays on Evidence

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Published 1970 by HarperColophon (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Historian as Detective - Essays on Evidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Historian as Detective - Essays on Evidence

Kathy  Petersen
Four months to read this book? That's because I own this book but kept going to the library, which insists that I read its books in three weeks. So The Historian as Detective got put aside multiple times.

It's hard to rate a book of essays of different topics by multiple writers who hold various viewpoints. Winks does gather them all around "evidence" and what it means to history and history technique, with sidebar nods to the detective story. So in general I, as a semi-professional [retired] his...more
Qhlueme
For the small amount of practical application that I derived from this book, I got a great amount of joy in reading it and following the "cases." Of course, it did open my eyes to the fact of counterfeit documents and relics created not for their own sake, but to advance someone's career or benefice. The Historian as Detective is not a typical research manual telling one where to look for information, but a forensics manual explaining how to discern and evaluate purportedly historical evidence.
Eleanore
The Historian as Detective is a playful collection of essays concerning historical methods built within the frame of detective fiction. Interspersed liberally with Winks's own thoughts and analysis, it is an eminently readable, occasionally whimsical, and assuredly valuable starting point for any examination of history as a discipline.
Michael Mendenhall
A true classic in every sense of the word. This book is a compilation of essays by various authors on various subjects of historical interest. This is pretty heavy reading and can get dull at times if you're not totally nuts about it. I like the title of the book though.
Jordan McPeek
A book I've hung onto from university days. Maybe I'll re-read it someday.
LD
LD marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Taruia
Taruia is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2014
Polina Ukrainskaya
Polina Ukrainskaya is currently reading it
Mar 12, 2014
Mazen Allal
Mazen Allal marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Terrianne
Terrianne marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Eclectic Bookworm
Eclectic Bookworm marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Sunnie Evers
Sunnie Evers marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Elyse
Elyse marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2013
Blank_postcard
Blank_postcard marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2013
Daniel Borrego
Daniel Borrego marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013
Kenny
Kenny added it
Jan 14, 2013
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2012
Mark Singer
Mark Singer marked it as to-read
May 30, 2012
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2012
Europe and the Making of Modernity: 1815-1914 The Ancient Mediterranean World: From the Stone Age to A.D. 600 Medieval Europe and the World: From Late Antiquity to Modernity, 400-1500 The Blacks in Canada: A History Europe in a Wider World, 1350-1650