Start by marking “Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3)

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3)

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,732,041 Ratings  ·  93,368 Reviews
The greatly anticipated final book in the New York Times bestselling Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins.

Format: 9 CDs, Unabridged
Narrator: Carolyn McCormick

The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

Who do they think should pay for the unrest?

Katniss Everdeen.

The final book in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins will have hearts racing, pages turning, and
Audio CD, Unabridged, 10 pages
Published September 1st 2010 by Scholastic Audio Books (first published August 24th 2010)

Kings & Queens by Courtney VailConduit by Angie MartinThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Huntress by Michelle O'LearyMagic America by C.E. Medford
Unforgettable Female Protagonists
20th out of 184 books — 172 voters
The Clique by Lisi HarrisonTwilight by Stephenie MeyerPretty Little Liars by Sara ShepardThe Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann BrasharesThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
The Ultimate Teen Chick-lit Library
111th out of 215 books — 433 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (the Grinch)
WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF AN ENDING IS THAT?! SERIOUSLY, WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF AN ENDING IS THAT?

Ok, short summary. This is day 3 of my Hunger Games binge after I watched the last movie last Saturday without knowing anything about the books and not having watched any of the movies. First book. Awesome. Second book. Glorious. Third book. FUUUUUUUU *wails out something that sounds like "fuck you, Peeta!!!!!!"*

So now I know what a Mockingjay is (and I can probably eat it), I know who Coin is, I know wh
Tatiana
Nov 10, 2015 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who prefers to think instead of obsessing over love triangles
Update 11/28/14. So, of course I had to read it again after getting only half of the story from the Mockingjay movie. Unsurprisingly, cried and cried again. My feelings basically remain the same about this installment. Structurally, the novel is quite messy. There is such a big game going on and Katniss' motivations and actions don't always make sense to me. But the ending is brilliant, especially the final chapters.

I need something to cheer me up ASAP.

Let's face it, a series is only as good a
Tina
Dec 04, 2013 Tina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
SPOILERS AHEAD!!

What. the. f***. Words can't begin to express my disappointment. I bought Mockingjay the first day it came out and I was preparing myself for a truly epic novel, one worthy of its predecessors. I loved The Hunger Games; it was fast-paced, thrilling, suspenseful. Catching Fire wasn't as good but it was still enjoyable (I was majorly impressed by the game arena). I wasn't let down by Catching Fire though; I figured it was just a transition novel, build-up to what would undoubtedly
Hope
I’m never very good at predicting outcomes. Nothing I could’ve predicted would have been quite as good as this. Although I did get close (a very distant "close") on a few things, and I was right in saying that it wouldn’t be walking through a field of flowers and sunshine.

A book like this just couldn’t be.

It's good, and yet not good. Because it’s good in a very heartbreaking, chilling, haunting, intense way.

Katniss is a different person from the first two books. I found her softer, more thought
Annalisa

Well, hmmm. I'm not sure how to react to Mockingjay. I didn't love it and I'm not sure it satisfied me, but it was a disturbing read that will stick with me. Sadly, I can't say that I'll be recommending the series as fervently as I did after reading The Hunger Games. Not that the series isn't good, but I'm not longer sure it's for the masses of YA readers.

Like Catching Fire, Mockingjay took awhile for me to get into. When the pages turned into the triple digits and I wasn't hooked, I go
Michelle
i NEVER thought i'd ever rate this book below a 5...but here i am....and the only reason i gave it a three even is because the first two books of the hunger games were just SO GOOD they brought this one up...by three stars. honestly, i’ve waited so long for mockingjay to come out. i practically peed my pants on august 24th and now that i’ve finally finished the book (thanks to a full day of obsessive reading-meals not included) all i can feel is…annoyance. annoyance and disappointment. annoyance ...more
Kiki
Jayna
Aug 27, 2010 Jayna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kaela
Aug 25, 2010 Kaela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kat Kennedy
This review has spoilers!

Bitches...

What were you doing when you were 16? Checking your boobs each morning to see if the Boob Fairy had paid you a visit? Sneaking out of the house to the park down the street where you and your six friends would share a single can of beer and pretend you're drunk? Making out? Homework? Fighting with your parents? Watching scary movies?

Katniss is sixteen years old and she's been in two Hunger Games, fighting against twenty-odd opponents to the death. Then she becom
Heather
Aug 25, 2010 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, dystopian, 2010
How do I begin to convey my disappointment? I suppose it all comes down to expectations and as mine were not met, I feel vastly underwhelmed, and a little bit devastated. When I read HungerGames, I was enthralled. I thought Katniss was intelligent, resourceful, and displayed tremendous strength in character. Moreover, Katniss’s arc appeared to parallel with the overall arc of the story/series. As Katniss grew more bold, so did the remaining characters and the uprising initiative. I expected this ...more
karen
Aug 24, 2010 karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
these are the things i have done for this book:

i have given up my birthday, waiting in line from 5 until its midnight release, braving the crowds and noise and commotion...

i have missed my subway stop and ended up taking the crappy way into work...

i have seriously considered calling out of work to sit at home and finish it...

i have read in elevators, while walking down the street, walking up the stairs, while eating dinner without even tasting it...

i have rushed my beloved dawn powell's book, ra
Mike (the Paladin)
Feb 18, 2015 Mike (the Paladin) rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, rereading
Below is my original review. I'm leaving it as it's still essentially how I feel still. I have however decided that the overall story of the book rates a higher rating than I originally gave (you'll see below). The biggest problem for me was that Katniss seemed to grow some throughout the first and the second book, yet slid back and forth/up and down throughout this. I just didn't think it was still Katniss in some ways.

To each of course and I'd say try it yourself and see how you feel/what you
Sparrow
I guess, sometimes our emotional bones need to be re-broken in order to set them right. Maybe this was a common experience for those who read this book, but a lot of its most emotional points were like reading a bizarre dream about the last few years of my own life. I’m not going to go into it because that would be, like, an unacceptable amount of over-share, even for me. That’s just to say that I have no ability to be objective about it. This story: real or not real?

I love Mockingjay like I lov
Nataliya

All Katniss really wants is to not be "a piece in their games". But nobody apparently got the memo. Once again, she is a pawn in somebody's power games. Same shit, different day. Only the Gamemakers have changed.

The above are synonymous in the eyes of the Capitol. Or District 13, for that matter.

Even free from the clutches of the Capitol, Katniss still has a role to play - whether she wants it or not. This time it's Mockingjay, the face of the rebellion she unwittingly helped to bring. But the p
Melissa ♥♫
Mar 19, 2013 Melissa ♥♫ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baine
Jul 31, 2010 Baine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"THERE IS NO DISTRICT 12."
Period. End of sentence. End of story. Biggest. Cliffhanger. Ever.
Oh. my. gosh.

I CANNOT WAIT!!! August 24... Someone could tell me the world was ending August 23rd and i'd say, no it isn't! Mockingjay isn't out yet, stupid! The world can't end! What about August 25th? Hah! well i'll have red it by then, so im good.

Was it just me or did everyone else frantically flip the pages after finishing Catching Fire? I was like,
NOOOO! That cannot be how she ended it! DANG that wa
Penny
Updated! November 25, 2014 New 2nd addendum below the 1st addendum. Further thoughts/explanations as to why I gave this book five stars at the end of the original review. Warning: addendum contains some spoilers.

I've thought long and hard as to how I should review this book. For starters I feel I need to say upfront, this book is not for everyone. Mockingjay is the darkest book of the Hunger Games trilogy, containing excess violence, brutality and ugliness. People die. It would be naive to expe
Mohammed Arabey
Aug 25, 2016 Mohammed Arabey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

أهلا بك في نهاية أهم ملحمات الديستوبيا في العصر الحديث

"Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where they strung up a man they say murdered three.
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met up at midnight in the hanging tree.”

"هل تأتي ,هل تأتي الي الشجرة
حيث علقوا منها رجلا يقال أنه قتل ثلاثة
أشياء غريبة حدثت هنا ولكن لن يحدث الأغرب
في حال تقابلنا هنا بمنتصف الليل, عند مشنقة الشجرة"

الحبكة التي يراها البعض خطرا علي بعض انظمة الحكم

أحداث ثورية واقعية علي نظام فاسد ديكتاتوري ,يمتص جهد
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of 'The Hunger Games' and 'Catching Fire'
Spoilers.

When I first read 'Mockingjay' I was a silly little fourteen year old, drunk up on the fast paced action and immediate danger Katniss faced in the first two novels. Given her weakness and exclusion from important events, not to mention my almost 12 month wait for its release, I was bitterly disappointed.

Perhaps, reading now, I appreciate Mockingjay more because of my lower expectations. Perhaps it is because I can look at it in a new light. Perhaps its both.
I will not delete my origin
Amelia, the pragmatic idealist
2013 edit: Time can do a lot to influence my opinion of books. In some cases, time goes on and I end up appreciating a book more than I did originally, like Ender's Game or The Great Gatsby. But in other cases, time actually diminishes my opinion of certain books.
I'm so sick of all this HG-movie hype. Seriously. Ms. Collins' novels were thought-provoking, but not *that* much. I'm left to wonder if I read the same books as everyone else. Collins' writing style doesn't have that much depth. And I
Arlene
There is so much I love and despise about this book and my brain is still in a mindfog trying to sort out some of the catastrofuck that just occurred. But first and foremost I must say… hats off to Suzanne Collins for penning an epic finale of courageous and daring proportions!! Wow she really spared no expense in ending The Hunger Games series with a final installment that will leave a lasting impression! Collins is without a doubt FEARLESS.

I am still in complete and absolute shock as I contem
Maureen
Dec 02, 2015 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series will never get old for me - it's fantastic.
I like the ending a lot better after rereading it I have to say!
Bookworm Sean
Feb 13, 2016 Bookworm Sean rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
By now it’s no secret that I fucking hate the The Hunger Games. Instead of doing my usual thing where I attempt to explain why Suzanne Collins’ books are atrocious, I’m going to lay down my reasoning in a set of seven straight forward points.

1. Katniss has the personality of a vegetable

2. Peeta is a needy little baker boy

description

I’ll never get over how the author can justify his camouflage techniques born as a result from his cake decorating experience……

3. The world is completely unacceptable and u
Gemma
Aug 25, 2010 Gemma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
K.D. Absolutely
Aug 30, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to K.D. by: Mo Twister (Book 1)
Shelves: ya, adventure, dystopian
Her name is Katniss Everdeen. Mockingjay. "Haba ng hair"

"Haba ng hair" literally means long hair. However, in the Philippines, it means that the girl to whom you address this is very fortunate to have many guys falling for her.

That, in this book is Katniss. She has the goodlooking hunter dude, Gale by her side and she enjoys his kisses while doing their hunting (I am not sure how they could still get animals from bomb-striken District 13) in the meadows. Over at the Capitol, is her previous co-t
Haleema
Jessica (priceiswong)
Jun 10, 2015 Jessica (priceiswong) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
LOVED this the second time around! Can't believe I used to think this was the worst of the series... I think this was just as good if not better now. There was so much raw emotion and just.. Ah.. I cried along with Katniss while she had to face just sorrow after destruction over and over again. This story is so violent and bleak but I love it. I love that there's still some small rays of hope present. I'm also very content with the way the trilogy ended now (where as the first time I read this t ...more
Lyndsey
Be warned. Spoilers abound . As well as Major Ramblings. *salute*

Odd tidbit of information: Recently, I had a teeny, tiny silverfish (I almost typed catfish, which would have made this story much more interesting) that just chilled on my bathroom floor for days, in the same spot. It had to have been at least three or four days.

I know it was alive because it would half heartedly scurry out of the way of much-too-close feet, a stark contrast to the usual lively and feisty personality of the creat
mark monday
Mar 30, 2012 mark monday rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ALL SPOILERS

Chapter 1
A memorial of sorts. Some final books in trilogies spend time carefully recounting what happened in prior books. Some jump right into the action. Mockingjay has ash and despair and the end of a life our heroine once had. It does not feel like a stirring call to arms; it does not feel like a revolution is about to happen. It feels like the end of things, it feels like death. This is the beginning of the book.

Chapter 2
The brave rebels of District 13. A humorless communist stat
What do you think Katniss and Peeta's kids should be called? 5 63 Aug 26, 2016 05:53AM
Worst. F**king. Ending. Ever! 577 4628 Aug 25, 2016 04:34PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review 1 7 Aug 24, 2016 10:49PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Mockingjay 26 79 Aug 24, 2016 07:22PM
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Mockingjay 3 16 Aug 23, 2016 08:45PM
HELP: WHY did snow LAUGH at Katniss when she killed Coin? 19 278 Aug 23, 2016 11:32AM
Katniss approving another hunger games at the end? 241 1935 Aug 22, 2016 08:29AM
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
  • The Dead-Tossed Waves (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #2)
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, #6)
  • Everwild (Skinjacker, #2)
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)
  • Red Glove (Curse Workers, #2)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Knife-Throwing Scene (Divergent, #1.5)
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
  • Mistwood (Mistwood, #1)
  • Academy 7
  • Hunger (Gone, #2)
  • Double Cross (Noughts & Crosses, #4)
  • Briar's Book (Circle of Magic, #4)
  • Front and Center (Dairy Queen, #3)
  • The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon—and me, Ruby Oliver  (Ruby Oliver, #3)
  • Sapphique (Incarceron, #2)

Since 1991, Suzanne Collins has been busy writing for children’s television. She has worked on the staffs of several Nickelodeon shows, including the Emmy-nominated hit Clarissa Explains it All and The Mystery Files of Shelby Woo. For preschool viewers, she penned multiple stories for the Emmy-nominated Little B
More about Suzanne Collins...

The Hunger Games (3 books)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)

287 trivia questions
94 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“You love me. Real or not real?"
I tell him, "Real.”
25223 likes
“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.” 10252 likes