Start by marking “Tragedy and Hope: A History of the World in Our Time” as Want to Read:
Tragedy and Hope: A History of the World in Our Time

Tragedy and Hope: A History of the World in Our Time

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  405 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
"The powers of financial capitalism had a far-reaching plan, nothing less than to to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole." Carroll Quigley, quoted on the cover of his book, Tragedy and Hope.
Published December 31st 1995 by G. S. G. & Associates, Incorporated (first published January 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Tragedy and Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tragedy and Hope

The Constitution of the United States of America by The Founding FathersThe Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the U... by Founding FathersThe Federalist Papers by Alexander HamiltonA People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnGreen Illusions by Ozzie Zehner
Best Books to Become an Informed Voter
207th out of 709 books — 935 voters
1984 by George OrwellBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyNone Dare Call It Conspiracy by Gary AllenThe Unseen Hand by Ralph EppersonThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
New World Order books
8th out of 65 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Manny
Sep 24, 2014 Manny rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in modern history
Recommended to Manny by: Bird Brian
This gigantic book - 1350 pages! - reminds me in an odd way of Roger Penrose's almost equally massive The Road to Reality, which I read last year. In both cases, we have an unusually gifted person, who sets out to present an integrated overview of an entire field. For Penrose, it's modern physics; for Quigley, it's world history during the period from 1895 to 1960. In both cases, we soon discover that the author has a highly non-standard but strangely persuasive view of their respective subject, ...more
Jan 26, 2015 11 rated it it was amazing
T

Sometimes you just know that the book you are reading is going to be one of those great reads of a lifetime. That’s what happened when I started reading Tragedy & Hope; it got added to my Top Ten list before I was even half-finished with it.

Shallow Hal

So, does anybody remember that 90’s movie "Shallow Hal", where titular Hal is hypnotized to only see the inner beauty of a woman, but his horrified friends can’t get past her unappealing exterior? I think that’s what it’s like, loving this book, and I do
Nov 03, 2014 Jennifer is currently reading it
It's 1300 pages, and I've been reading it online, so I've no idea what page I'm on! But, I think I've still got a long ways to go. Anyhow, very interesting! So far, I've found that his explanation of Russian ideology makes other Russian novels make more sense to me.

President Clinton said this guy influenced him alot (he's a Harvard/Princeton scholar), and lots of people consider this kind of an authoritative conspiracy theory text relating to international banking, The Council on Foreign Relatio
Diana (Bever) Barber
Why do they call it Conspiracy THEORY when there are books like this on the market? Carroll Quigley (mentor to Bill Clinton and others) is unapologetic in his socialistic/neoMarxist/fascistic leanings. He details how socialists and others have and are taking away our freedoms and why. WOW! This book is an eye-opener. I wish I had a personal copy of it (I had checked it out through inter-library loan).
Marks54
Jun 26, 2012 Marks54 rated it really liked it
This book still gets a lot of interest, even though Quigley has been dead for over 40 years. Perhaps, his mention by Bill Clinton in his inaugural address has maintained interest. There have been other drivers of interest for Quigley (and this volume) as well, not all of them laudable or fair.

I rated the book highly because of the impact it (and the class for which it was read) has had on me. To this this day, I vividly remember Quigley's classes (five semesters) as if they were yesterday. The a
Philana Walker
Mar 06, 2009 Philana Walker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-lost-years
This book covers 15o years (up to the 1960s) of social development that Quigley associates with the rise of positions of power in the western world. As daunting a book as it may seem, it is one that must be read. Power, economic influence, globalism and the transnational forms of government. If you can get your hands on it, read it.
Jerry
Dec 07, 2007 Jerry rated it it was amazing
Quigley taught at Georgetown, after a long career that involved him behind the scenes in international bidniss. His perspective is often financial, but his insights are crisp and amazing.

This book changed my perspective on history in some interesting ways.

Oh, one of his students was a young Bill Clinton.
Danny
Apr 28, 2009 Danny rated it it was amazing
You're not gonna find a better history book. Leave's "The People's History of the United States" in the dust.
Kenneth
May 07, 2014 Kenneth rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Often the favorite of conspiracy quacks in the US.

Read just the other day that there is a difference thinking that history has conspiracies & thinking that history is a conspiracy.

I think the latter is an important consideration to think about.

I don't think that the "&" on the cover page of the present edition was always in "purgatory pink" for instance.

Written in 1966 Quigley was supposedly a political insider with the Rhodes scholar people. Clinton is said to have cited him for infl
James
Mar 15, 2015 James rated it liked it
So far I am a little short of halfway through this tome. I find it very interesting at some points, yet very boring because the economics of it is a bit overwhelming. At the same time it is very interesting where the politics and history of it are giving me a perspective I never really saw before. Of course I do realize that economics and economic policy is what drives a lot of history and motivates politicians to do what they do but that still does not change the fact that as much as I try to u ...more
Monica Perez
Dec 21, 2011 Monica Perez rated it it was amazing
This is THE book that explains the grand conspiracy. I don't normally go for the intellectual over analysis of social phenomena, but this book is actually a fascinating, comprehensive overview of a history in our time as the subtitle promises. But what made this book famous - or infamous - is how this establishment insider, Georgetown professor Carroll Quigley, tells all about the conspiracy to establish the second coming of the British Empire, albeit under the radar. Quigley names names, dates, ...more
Bob Bingham
Sep 03, 2014 Bob Bingham rated it it was ok
Frankly, a disappointing book. For all its bulk and the hype surrounding it, this is definitely not an insider's look at how the "Eastern Establishment" operates. Rather, it is one professor's rather slanted interpretation of world history from about 1890 through 1963. Professor Quigley ran out of invectives to hurl at Joe McCarthy, but utters barely a whisper about Harry Hopkins (close adviser to FDR) and other players who likely had more long term influence (and did more damage) than McCarthy. ...more
Sara
Feb 14, 2011 Sara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Totally looking forward to reading this.
Olivia
Jan 06, 2009 Olivia added it
I am reading this book aloud with Evan!

Quigley was BClinton's , or old-blue-eyes, as I like to call him, mentor. What an ambish book, trying to cover "world history in our time" This book is dense as War and Peace, and War What Is It Good For.

I am only reading parts of it; we are on page 532,372 and the topic is McCarthyism and the Cold War. If you are knowledgeable about this McCarthyism topic, or history in general, let's talk!

I would like to compare Quigley's finance and detail heavy text on
Andrew Taylor
May 12, 2015 Andrew Taylor rated it liked it
A great book, not without its weaknesses, especially in the second half with the endless anticommunist ravings. It's quite annoying when the only types of atrocities the writer condemns are the ones done by communists while others such as the purges in Indonesia, he turns a blind eye.
Another thing I didn't like were the last few chapters where the author switches from warfare and economics to psychology of the masses. The chapters about the American middle class and the battle of the sexes are d
Susan Mills
May 22, 2015 Susan Mills rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A tome of historical knowledge

The author is writing from years of astute observation of world history. The large book is not light reading, but can be interesting to anyone who wants to ponder the impact of historical decisions. Since the narrative ends in the mid 1960's, the reader has the advantage of knowing what the near future brought us, and the implications are haunting.
Mad Russian the Traveller
I just added this to my "to read" list, however stuff like the following may cause me to have some disagreement with this book:

"while the Right follows the Manichaean doctrine imported into Christianity by Saint Augustine (evil is a positive force, and man needs strong external discipline to protect him from it)"

Donna
Aug 02, 2011 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All US citizens who want to know how we got into this mess
Recommended to Donna by: Honestly forget now, it was a book, however
I read this back in the early 90's. I was lucky to get it on interlibrary loan, as it was out of print then. I'm so glad it is back in print now. It is essential reading if you want to know more about what happened and who caused it to happen. I'm looking forward to reading it again.
Jason
Jan 09, 2010 Jason rated it really liked it
The neoisolationists have taken over and Quigley's rolling in his grave. Let's hope 50 million people won't die again as we transition from the 20th to the 21st Century.
Jarrad Klapko
Mar 06, 2014 Jarrad Klapko rated it it was amazing
Read this if you want to shatter your perception of how the world works. Also good for inducing sleep.
Dusan Stanic
Apr 03, 2015 Dusan Stanic rated it liked it
"Att the moment it's like reading about the solar system and finding out that the conclusion of the matter is that the sun will expand and burn everything up. You are left wondering, what is the point?" On the other hand books that questioning official explanations and are inspiring the public reader to see us and our existence in an alternative way is a must.
Richard
May 16, 2016 Richard rated it it was ok
An epic undertaking to read this book. It is dense with detail, some of which is fascinating, some deadly dull. Was it worth it? The jury is still out...
Merlot Winters
Mar 20, 2008 Merlot Winters is currently reading it
Very dense but very interesting. Carol Quigley was a history professor at Georgetown who was very influential to a generation of the 'Best and Brightest' baby boomers including Bill Clinton. Very candid about the influence of secret and not so secret societies on the history of the west since 1700. Good basic info on the history of English colonization and Russia and China in modern (post enlightenment) times. A very thick but satisfying read so far, when i have the time to crack it open.
C.H.E. Sadaphal
Feb 14, 2013 C.H.E. Sadaphal rated it it was amazing
If you ever wanted a comprehensive analysis of human history and civilization, this is book to read. I would caution readers, you need to set aside ample time to read it as the book is 1500+ pages. Dig in and enjoy ... there is knowledge on every page. It is always fascinating to read text written decades ago that can accurately forecast events that are happening today.
Manish Gupta
Mar 01, 2016 Manish Gupta rated it it was amazing
A monumental book. Covers the world history from early 1800's to 1964-65 from a wide variety of perspectives. Would take a great deal of finish but the end of it, is worth every minute spent on it. This book provide background to a lot of historical incidents and why things happened.
Matt
Feb 15, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty interesting stuff on WWII and the Cold War.
Knarl
Apr 08, 2016 Knarl rated it really liked it
Shelves:
This isn't a Book, it's a tome (1340 Pages) but it's a very sharp analysis of history up until around the mid 60's. However, I'm more interested in any hypothetical futures that the author commits to. I'm officially starting this book as of now...
MyVa
Jul 16, 2009 MyVa added it
Don't be intimated by this huge book. Though this image shows the newest version of Quigley's Tragedy & Hope, I read his original one, I believe in the early 80's.
I have not compared the writings of this newest to his earlier one.
Paul Billy-Bong-Gong
Jun 18, 2007 Paul Billy-Bong-Gong rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quigley
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo highly informative (x)
  • Proofs of a Conspiracy
  • Fire in the Minds of Men
  • The True Story of the Bilderberg Group
  • The Creature from Jekyll Island: A Second Look at the Federal Reserve
  • Sinister Forces-The Nine: A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft
  • The Secret Team: The CIA & its Allies in Control of the United States & the World
  • The Underground History of American Education: An Intimate Investigation Into the Prison of Modern Schooling
  • 9/11 Synthetic Terror: Made in USA
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • Nullification: How to Resist Federal Tyranny in the 21st Century
  • Bloodlines of the Illuminati
  • Robert Anton Wilson Explains Everything or Old Bob Exposes His Ignorance
  • The CIA And The Cult Of Intelligence
  • Behind the Green Mask
American historian and theorist of the evolution of civilizations.

Noted for his teaching work as a professor at Georgetown University, for his academic publications, and for his research on secret societies.

He was an instructor at Princeton and Harvard; a consultant to the U.S. Department of Defense, the House Committee on Astronautics and Space Exploration; and the U.S. Navy.
More about Carroll Quigley...

“The argument that the two parties should represent opposed ideals and policies, one, perhaps, of the Right and the other of the Left, is a foolish idea acceptable only to doctrinaire and academic thinkers. Instead, the two parties should be almost identical, so that the American people can “throw the rascals out” at any election without leading to any profound or extensive shifts in policy.” 0 likes