Start by marking “Slay and Rescue” as Want to Read:
Slay and Rescue

Slay and Rescue

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  17 reviews
It's not easy being a prince and Charming had just about enough of it: dragons to slay, villains to fight, and one beautiful princess after another demanding to be rescued from a fate worse than death. But in the Slay and Rescue business, you're always on call . . . .
Published February 1st 2000 by Xlibris Corporation (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Slay and Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slay and Rescue

Stormytiggs
John Moore has an incredible grasp of satire and dry wit. I had already read 'Heroics For Beginners', based on a recommendation from Amazon, and I'm delighted to have discovered this talented humorist. The author's first novel is essentially a re-telling of the Prince Charming legend, you know, the way it 'actually' happened. Moore does not disappoint in his send-up of fairy tales and the use of all the classic cliches of the swords and sorcery genre, once more. I will continue to read this auth ...more
David
Prince Charming has a problem. As a charming teenager he is tasked with a number of rescue missions on behalf of his father's kingdom. Unfortunately, his is too honorable to make advances towards the maidens he rescues and they are really too honorable to do more than reward with with a chaste kiss on the cheek.

He returns home and demands some time off--- in hopes of actually losing his virginity-- but his father sends him on another mission and soon Charming is dealing with Two Princesses (Sle
John Logsdon
Great book. Funny and fun! John Moore (along with Terry Pratchett, Robert Asprin, John DeChancie, and a smattering of others) are what got me into writing comedic SciFi & Fantasy, so I may be a little biased here!

This isn't the longest of books, but I kind of like that. It's a lighthearted adventure that has one fun turn after another. There were a couple of moments where I cracked a smile, but nothing laugh-out-loud in this one for me. Still, I give it 5 stars because it challenges the stan
Roderick Ellem
Enjoyable fractured fairytale. Not his best book but enjoyable.
Migdalia
Feb 08, 2009 Migdalia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes comic fantasy
Shelves: fantasy-comic
One of John Moore's early efforts, and a fast and satisfying read. It's only 160 pages; so, it's good when one wants something witty and light. I didn't have any laugh-out-loud moments, but I did smile most of the time. If you need a pick me up, it's worth a try.
Brittnie
one of the most hilarious books ive ever read. i loved it. i loved it so much i read it twice which is something i never do. its just an awesome rendition of prince charming and his relationships with snow white, sleeping beauty, and Cinderella.
Shanna
This is written from the point of view of a teenage boy. This means that sex is his number one goal. Even though I am a bit of a prude I still loved it. Really good weaving together of common fairytales and giving them an interesting twist.
Dada
Apr 24, 2013 Dada rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dada by: tina-chan
Veľmi vtipné a svieže (tradičné rozprávky trochu dosť inak...), aj keď trochu sexistické - ale každý princ bol raz v puberte. :D Postavy boli sympatické, dej mal spád - čítalo sa mi prosto dobre! :)
Tatiana Nekrasova
Уморительно смешно !!! :D
Ali
Sep 12, 2009 Ali added it
This book was soooo effing hilarious! It kept me totally entertained on my road trip. I love it and will always have it on me shelf for a day when I need a smile.
Travis
Fun quick fantasy read that does a parody of all those classic Disney fairytales.
Angela
Nov 06, 2007 Angela rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: craig and shawn
Shelves: sf-fantasy
For any fan of Terry Pratchett or anyone who likes witty, sarcastic fantasy!
ChJ Loveall
Barrett
...aaaand, i just re-read it. still a good read, light, fun, cheeky.
Roswita
A truly funny take on the Prince Charming tales.
Jessie
Hilarious!
Sara
Awesome!
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Scoutaccount
Scoutaccount marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Stormy
Stormy added it
Oct 17, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Summer
Summer marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Callie
Callie marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Ayelet Kessel
Ayelet Kessel marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Frezanda
Frezanda marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
  • Excalibur: The Legend of King Arthur
  • The Green Man
  • The Girl, the Dragon, and the Wild Magic (Rhianna, #1)
  • Dreizehn
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • The Order of the Stick: War and XPs (The Order of the Stick, #3)
  • Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1)
  • Dissension (Magic: The Gathering: Ravnica Cycle, #3)
  • The Floating Island (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #1)
  • The Brega Path (The Silver Call, #2)
  • The Moons of Mirrodin (Magic: The Gathering, Mirrodin Cycle, #1)
  • Golden & Grey: An Unremarkable Boy and a Rather Remarkable Ghost (Invisible Friend #1)
  • Grailblazers
  • Sad Monsters: Growling on the Outside, Crying on the Inside
  • Gather Yourselves Together
  • Pandemonium
  • A Coldness in the Blood (Dracula Series, #10)
  • Stones Unturned (The Menagerie, #3)
John Moore is an engineer who lives and works in Houston, TX. His stories have appeared in Realms of Fantasy, Tomorrow, New Destinies, Aboriginal SF, Writers of the Future, Marion Zimmer Bradley's Fantasy Magazine, and other magazines and anthologies. He is the author of six novels in the fantasy and science fiction genre, with the newest, The Lightning Horse , just released from YD Press.

In 2014
More about John Moore...
Heroics for Beginners The Unhandsome Prince Bad Prince Charlie A Fate Worse Than Dragons The Lightning Horse