Start by marking “Slay and Rescue” as Want to Read:
Slay and Rescue

Slay and Rescue

It's not easy being a prince and Charming had just about enough of it: dragons to slay, villains to fight, and one beautiful princess after another demanding to be rescued from a fate worse than death. But in the Slay and Rescue business, you're always on call . . . .
Published February 1st 2000 by Xlibris Corporation (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Slay and Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slay and Rescue

Gavin
Oct 22, 2015 Gavin rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The heroic Prince Charming is famous all across the Twenty Kingdoms. He slays vicious dragons, defeats evil knights in single combat, outwits dastardly sorcerers and wizards, and rescues damsels in distress, and he does it with all the charm he was named for. The people love him. They should of course and this is the very reason his father sends him on these unending slay and rescue missions. It's great PR for the Kingdom. The big problem is that Prince Charming is beyond tired of being so, well ...more
David
Aug 21, 2014 David rated it liked it
Shelves: completed
Prince Charming has a problem. As a charming teenager he is tasked with a number of rescue missions on behalf of his father's kingdom. Unfortunately, his is too honorable to make advances towards the maidens he rescues and they are really too honorable to do more than reward with with a chaste kiss on the cheek.

He returns home and demands some time off--- in hopes of actually losing his virginity-- but his father sends him on another mission and soon Charming is dealing with Two Princesses (Sle
John Logsdon
Sep 29, 2014 John Logsdon rated it it was amazing
Great book. Funny and fun! John Moore (along with Terry Pratchett, Robert Asprin, John DeChancie, and a smattering of others) are what got me into writing comedic SciFi & Fantasy, so I may be a little biased here!

This isn't the longest of books, but I kind of like that. It's a lighthearted adventure that has one fun turn after another. There were a couple of moments where I cracked a smile, but nothing laugh-out-loud in this one for me. Still, I give it 5 stars because it challenges the stan
Brittnie
Jun 26, 2011 Brittnie rated it it was amazing
one of the most hilarious books ive ever read. i loved it. i loved it so much i read it twice which is something i never do. its just an awesome rendition of prince charming and his relationships with snow white, sleeping beauty, and Cinderella.
Munderpool
Feb 03, 2014 Munderpool rated it it was amazing
John Moore has an incredible grasp of satire and dry wit. I had already read 'Heroics For Beginners', based on a recommendation from Amazon, and I'm delighted to have discovered this talented humorist. The author's first novel is essentially a re-telling of the Prince Charming legend, you know, the way it 'actually' happened. Moore does not disappoint in his send-up of fairy tales and the use of all the classic cliches of the swords and sorcery genre, once more. I will continue to read this auth ...more
Ali
Sep 12, 2009 Ali added it
This book was soooo effing hilarious! It kept me totally entertained on my road trip. I love it and will always have it on me shelf for a day when I need a smile.
Travis
Nov 05, 2012 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun quick fantasy read that does a parody of all those classic Disney fairytales.
Rowen
Jun 26, 2016 Rowen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful. This really should have been called "The Adventures of Prince Charming," but apparently that title was already taken...a pity, since this little gem is too easy to overlook on the fantasy shelves. Fantastic humor is easy to do, but tough to do well; Slay and Rescue does it quite well.

There are parts that come off a little sexist, but that kind of goes with the source material (fairy tales, with a fun "classic Disney" influence) that the author is riffing on. All in all, it's funny,
Eric Carter
Nov 09, 2014 Eric Carter rated it it was amazing
Short but satisfying and fun.
Roderick Ellem
Enjoyable fractured fairytale. Not his best book but enjoyable.
Shanna
Dec 15, 2008 Shanna rated it really liked it
This is written from the point of view of a teenage boy. This means that sex is his number one goal. Even though I am a bit of a prude I still loved it. Really good weaving together of common fairytales and giving them an interesting twist.
Dada
Apr 24, 2013 Dada rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dada by: tina-chan
Veľmi vtipné a svieže (tradičné rozprávky trochu dosť inak...), aj keď trochu sexistické - ale každý princ bol raz v puberte. :D Postavy boli sympatické, dej mal spád - čítalo sa mi prosto dobre! :)
Tanya Nekrasova
Jan 02, 2014 Tanya Nekrasova rated it it was amazing
Уморительно смешно !!! :D
Angela
Nov 06, 2007 Angela rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: craig and shawn
Shelves: sf-fantasy
For any fan of Terry Pratchett or anyone who likes witty, sarcastic fantasy!
Ch J Loveall
Mar 11, 2011 Ch J Loveall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barrett
May 21, 2008 Barrett rated it really liked it
...aaaand, i just re-read it. still a good read, light, fun, cheeky.
Keith
Mar 22, 2015 Keith rated it it was amazing
Classic, would give it 6 stars if I could
Roswita
Mar 03, 2009 Roswita rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
A truly funny take on the Prince Charming tales.
Jessie
Aug 24, 2012 Jessie rated it it was amazing
Hilarious!
Sara
Jun 15, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Awesome!
Ernest
Ernest rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Brandon Petkov
Brandon Petkov marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
J. C
J. C marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Sarah Rose
Sarah Rose marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Thaddeus Nowak
Thaddeus Nowak marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
jacque
jacque rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
jindras
jindras marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Marguerite Weith
Marguerite Weith rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Kian
Kian marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
  • The Wizard's Tale
  • Excalibur: The Legend of King Arthur
  • The Green Man
  • Dreizehn
  • Die eisige Zeit (Das Spiel der Götter, #4)
  • The Girl, the Dragon, and the Wild Magic (Rhianna, #1)
  • Grailblazers
  • My Sparkling Misfortune (The Lakeland Knight #1)
  • Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales (The Order of the Stick, #D)
  • Dissension (Magic: The Gathering: Ravnica Cycle, #3)
  • The Moons of Mirrodin (Magic: The Gathering, Mirrodin Cycle, #1)
  • Golden & Grey: An Unremarkable Boy and a Rather Remarkable Ghost (Invisible Friend #1)
  • The Wager
  • The Brega Path (The Silver Call, #2)
  • The Floating Island (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #1)
  • The Musketeer's Seamstress (A Musketeers Mystery, #2)
  • The Steam-Driven Boy and Other Strangers
John Moore is an engineer who lives and works in Houston, TX. His stories have appeared in Realms of Fantasy, Tomorrow, New Destinies, Aboriginal SF, Writers of the Future, Marion Zimmer Bradley's Fantasy Magazine, and other magazines and anthologies. He is the author of six novels in the fantasy and science fiction genre, with the newest, The Lightning Horse , just released from YD Press.

In 2014