Start by marking “Finding Grace: A True Story About Losing Your Way In Life...And Finding It Again” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Finding Grace is the powerful, often humorous, and deeply moving story of one woman’s journey of broken dreams. It is the story of how a painful legacy of the past is confronted and met with peace. This book is for anyone who has struggled to understand why our desires— even the simplest ones—are sometimes denied or who has questioned where God is when we need him most. Th ...more
Published April 28th 2009 by St. Martin's Press (first published March 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Grace

Christina
The story here is nothing new: the author writes about her struggle with infertility and her journey towards adoption. What IS new is the beautiful, heartfelt writing. I was moved many times in the book.

There were some loose ends and not everything was brought to a clear conclusion. I found her inclusion of the story of being molested as a child (tastefully done, with no graphic details) important to understanding her, and she returned to it often, but it wasn't really ever resolved for me -- b
Sondra Santos
The one complaint I have about Finding Grace, by Donna VanLiere, is that there wasn’t an index highlighting the many brilliant minds mentioned throughout the book. Quoting authors, poets, philosophers, and even the Bible, VanLiere’s literary education is quite impressive. The best quotes though, in my opinion, are from VanLiere herself:

“Sometimes we need to be reminded why we’re here, that we are valued and loved, and at the end of the pain there are still deeper and higher dreams to discover.”
Mishel Zabala
I'm not a very religious or spiritual person so I was a little hesitant to accept this book to review. I don't mind reading inspirational stories in reference to God, however I do find myself wary of them. So I'm not really sure what my expectations were before reading it. I must admit the blurb made me think I'd at least be able to get through it. I'm happy to report I really enjoyed Finding Grace.

Donna VanLiere's life has definitely been filled with hardships and as she retells her story I co
Abby
Somebody tell me the most awesome book they've ever read, please. I am so bored. I am in the middle of about ten "meh" books, and I can't summon the energy to finish any of them, and I keep starting new ones hoping for better luck. Maybe I'm the problem. I'm the common denominator. I really want a great, non-fiction book (I'm ho-hum on novels and fiction) that I can escape in and enjoy. I'll give a dollar to anyone who suggests one that I read and end up loving.

This book here is by the author of
Diane

Finding Grace, was picked up by me at the library on a whim. I had enjoyed (3) previous books by this author in the Christmas "hope" series: The Christmas Shoes, The Christmas Blessing, and The Christmas Hope, and since the past year has been a trying one for me, I thought perhaps this book might be just what I needed --- yes it was.

In this inspirational memoir the author shares some devastating experiences, beginning early on in life, that would certainly test the faith of many women. It is a s
Tara Evans
WOW, read this in 2 sittings.

This puts Oprah's aha moments to shame. VanLiere was able to write about infertility with such honesty without requiring the reader to pity her.

Central theme was "life isn't fair & we don't get what we want".....but wait here come the grace part. We don't get what we want BECAUSE what God has planned for us is FAR better. This book reminds you to let go and let GOD and defines grace and joy so simply that you wonder why you searched for so many years when ALAS
Angie
I really struggled with this CD. I guess I finished it b/c it was only 4 CDs. I don't know if I didn't find the humor, didn't hear it, or just didn't share the humor. Parts of the book were really good, but parts were just like "oh my, please move on"! There are some good lessons, but if it had been longer than it was, I would not have finished it.
Kathy
The author's life verse might well be: Galatians 1:15-16a “But when God, who set me apart from birth and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him …”

VanLiere writes of her personal journey through childhood abuse, past years of infertility, to her quest for purpose. I enjoyed her "language of words" as she told me her story.

We live life in a culture of ungrace (I love the way she worded that), thus we cannot expect to be unscathed or pain free. In fa
Clockstein Lockstein
Finding Grace by Donna VanLiere is a powerful memoir with a message of God and grace in your life. VanLiere was sexually abused as a child and compartmentalized it as her own fault making relationships difficult in her adult life. After facing multiple miscarriages and infertility, along with constant upheaval in her professional life, she finally discovered the gift of writing that God had given her and began the long process of adoption. VanLiere takes all of the bumps in her life's journey an ...more
Debra
Having loved VanLiere's wonderful stories of love and grace, I was drawn to this to find out more about the author. At times this story is hard to read, but always straight forward and honest as she struggles with life and the God whom she feels deserted her.
That struggle and the beauty of where it leads her keeps you reading. This is one I will probably read again.

Martha P. Lee
Finding Grace

It has always seemed to be a contradiction to me that Jesus says to find real life, we have to lose our life- or at least our idea of life. How well this book demonstrates the truth of this statement.! Even though this was someone else's story, I found truth and recognition of myself in it. It was a blessing to read. I highly recommend it.
Jessica
Recommended to me by: Francie

Well, she managed to put a name to the feeling I have been dragging around behind me for the past three years: The Desert. I have just called it being ignored by God but it seems like The Desert is a very apt way of describing it to me. I don't think this book has helped me understand why I feel this way or how I can change it, but it did make me feel not alone.

I took off one star because (black-heart-alert!) I *loathe* The Christmas Shoes. And she talks about it a
Videoclimber(AKA)MTsLilSis
So many things in this story remind me of my own story. I guess most people would say that their life has never been easy, but it is how you deal with it all that really matters. VanLiere is very inspirational. I also have no problem discussing things that have happened in my life. I believe everything happens for a reason and that God is in control at all times, even when we don't like our situation. The author pointed this out very well. I enjoyed the stories about how she was rewarded with he ...more
Heather
Oct 13, 2009 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has experienced the ups and downs of life
Shelves: my-faves
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. The author shares how being sexually abused at a very young age shaped her view of herself and her perception of God and Grace. It is later in her life, during struggles with infertility, that she finds the meaning of Grace in her life and her perceptions of God change. This book is very easy to read and does not come across as an overwhelming tragedy or preachy. In fact, you feel a lot of love. While the events are tragic the author writes candidly but w ...more
Sheila
What a good book! I thoroughly enjoyed Donna's writing style. This is her true story. It made me laugh, cry and question myself over and over. I had to reread parts because they were so profound I didn't want to miss a thing. I will most definitely read more of her books. Heck I plan on reading this one over. I hadn't planned on picking this book up at the library. One of the library staff had put a small card on the shelf with a little write up about the book. I thought, if someone has taken th ...more
Sandie
The author's personal story; dealing with infertility, broken dreams, and finding grace.
Sylvia Bielefeldt
I've loved Donna VanLiere's books for years and this one is just as thought provoking and wonderful as the rest. This is a story of faith, hope, courage and finding trust and grace in the blessings of heaven while struggling with heartbreaking childhood disasters,trials, afflictions, disappointments and disillusions. The terrible and amazing personal experiences shared by the author are a lovely rainbow to the reader as she shares her thoughts about God and our will and His will - of acceptance ...more
Su
A very quick read about a woman who at one time in her life had decided that God had given up on her, but as she grew into adulthood and eventually motherhood, she realized he had been there for her all along. The book begins in a terrifying fashion with her as a 5 year old being sexually abused by a neighbor boy. She never tells this to anyone until she is an adult. Hence, why she thinks God was not on her side. I thought it was a bit preachy, but the parts about her adopting her three children ...more
Audrey
Excellent book! This is Donna VanLiere's personal story of abuse, love, disappointment, disillusion, and lastly, finding overwhelming grace. A beautiful and heart-wrenching tale, I appreciate her honesty and openness about her struggles with God and how she came to find His grace and mercy in the brokenness of life. I especially loved the stories of the VanLieres' adoptions and the encouragement found in this book.
Dundee Library
Excellent book! This is Donna VanLiere’s personal story of abuse, love, disappointment, disillusion, and lastly, finding overwhelming grace. A beautiful and heart-wrenching tale, I appreciate her honesty and openness about her struggles with God and how she came to find His grace and mercy in the brokenness of life. I especially loved the stories of the VanLieres’ adoptions and the encouragement found in this book.
A great choice for a book club, or just to pick up- reads very quickly. Highly rec
Nikki
Sep 15, 2009 Nikki rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those with infertility issues
This was a very inspirational book. Having read the dustjacket I didn't know specifically what it was going to be about. It was interesting to find that as I read it I actually had a lot in common with the author, and frequently shared a lot of the same emotions as her. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is having or has had issues with infertility, or have felt life just wasn't taking shape the way it was suppose to....according to how we expect it all to turn out.
Tamara
I recently finished listening to this audio book. I truly enjoyed learning about the author's struggles in life and the happy ending of the things that effected her the most. I have fortunately not faced any of the hardships that Mrs. VanLiere has, but I have had hardships as we all d, o and hearing her talk about how she overcame them was very inspirational. I know she has written other books and I plan to read them as I really enjoy her writing style.
Catherine
I didn't really know anything about this author's life and I love her books, so it was interesting to learn about her. She has had some hard trials in her life, but she learned to trust in God and His will. It was neat to see how she continued learning important lessons throughout her life, just like we all do. It could be a really helpful book for someone who is struggling in life.
Budd Dwyer
Jan 03, 2010 Budd Dwyer rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: religionist fools
"Grace" is a filthy religionist conceit, unless you're talking about Grace Kelly, who is a little cooler and certainly had nice breasts.

The best moment of my year was when that terrfic woman pulled that celibate jackass pope "Benny Dick" over on his repugnant butt in the Vatican. He is as horrid as the Mormons, and even less attractive than Mittens Romney.
Rebecca
Loved it. A quick, easy read, and totally uplifting without being cheesy. It provoked a lot of great thoughts in my head and made me want to be a better person in so many ways. I also loved that it is a true story of an ordinary person - those are always the best because they are so much more real to me. I totally recommend it if you a looking for a good pick-me up.
Chelsea Weikart
Writers, moms, daughters,and artists would love this book. Vanliere tells about her journey with God and her struggle with everything from pride to insecurity. Her interesting career and her story of adoption of her two daughters from China is an awesome God-filled story, you don't have to have read any of her novels to relate to her "open-book"; life story.
Sabrina
Total non-fiction, more a biography of her life. I liked it though and her take on finding "grace". How she overcame sexual abuse as a child and learned to lean on the Lord, plus her journey of infertility. I am glad she chose to share. It is not overwheming though, fast read, and leaves you feeling blessed and appreciating your own path in life.
Teri Moote
A biographical story of Donna VanLiere, author of Christmas Shoes, among many others. There were nuggets of gold in her writing about grace, forgiveness, purpose, and focus. She shared her time in the desert and how God led her through and was there for her all along. A victorious story I enjoyed.
Ann
touching, thoughtful ideas about overcoming challenges in the "deserts" of life...things that happen beyond our control outside of the Plan we had for ourselves...I related to this, as the last 5 years in particular have been an adventure in dealing peacefully with things we didn't plan on.
Linda
I enjoyed this book. It was truly honest, and it was inspiring without being sappy. This is a quick read and a great pick-me-up for those times when we need to be reminded that it's not all about us and our problems, and that grace is all around us. We often just don't notice it.
  • Silent Sorority: A Barren Woman Gets Busy, Angry, Lost and Found
  • The Christmas Box Miracle: My Spiritual Journey of Destiny, Healing and Hope
  • Street Child : A Memoir
  • Step Out on Nothing: How Faith and Family Helped Me Conquer Life's Challenges
  • Real Life, Real Miracles: True Stories That Will Help You Believe
  • An Eagle Named Freedom: My True Story of a Remarkable Friendship
  • I'm Taking My Eggs and Going Home: How One Woman Dared to Say No to Motherhood
  • The Hittite
  • One Call Away: Facing the Unexpected with Resilient Faith
  • Hellhole Inferno (Hellhole, #3)
  • A Good and Perfect Gift: Faith, Expectations, and a Little Girl Named Penny
  • Angel Unaware: A Touching Story of Love and Loss
  • Cooking with My Sisters: One Hundred Years of Family Recipes, from Bari to Big Stone Gap
  • The Silent Gift
  • One Light Still Shines: My Life Beyond the Shadow of the Amish Schoolhouse Shooting
  • Saddled: How a Spirited Horse Reined Me In and Set Me Free
  • Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs: The Making of a Surgeon
  • The Color of Rain: How Two Families Found Faith, Hope, & Love in the Midst of Tragedy
Donna VanLiere is a New York Times and USA Today best-selling author and gifted conference speaker. She has published ten titles including The Christmas Shoes and The Christmas Blessing, both of which were adapted into movies (starring Rob Lowe, Kimberly Williams-Perry and Neil Patrick Harris) and garnered big ratings for CBS television. LifetimeTelevision adapted The Christmas Hope (starring Made ...more
More about Donna VanLiere...
The Christmas Shoes (Christmas Hope #1) The Christmas Blessing (Christmas Hope, #2) The Good Dream The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3) The Christmas Secret (Christmas Hope, #5)

“It is predictable that God will take care of us. What's unpredictable is how he will do it.” 30 likes
“The problem with unfilled dreams is that they give us tunnel vision. We focus on ourselves, and that can be depressing and discouraging place to look.” 8 likes