Start by marking “The Authorized Ender Companion” as Want to Read:
The Authorized Ender Companion

The Authorized Ender Companion

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The Authorized Ender Companion is a complete and in-depth encyclopedia of all the persons, places, things and events in Orson Scott Card’s Ender Universe. Written by Jake Black under the editorial supervision of Card himself, The Authorized Ender Companion will be an invaluable resource for readers of the series.

If you ever wondered where Ender went after he left Earth, be
Published November 10th 2009 by Tor Books (first published November 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Authorized Ender Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Authorized Ender Companion

Alan
If you are looking for a comprehensive guide to Orson Scott Card's Ender books, including short stories published online and the side story Shadow series then this is an excellent book for you. Especially, as when it was published to know it is missing only one book (Shadows in Flight).

After an extensive encyclopedia of people and places, which includes story point highlights for each character, there is a summary of the novels and as I said the online short stories, and hard copy short stories.
Ashley
Ok, so I haven't read the whole think cover-to-cover, but it's not really that kind of book. It's more of an encyclopedia of every character, place, and concept in the Ender series. There are also articles on how things work (like the Battle Room--with diagrams). My favorite section (disclaimer: because I'm in it) is the Friends of Ender section at the end of the book. Ordinary people wrote their stories of how Ender has changed their lives. Sounds a bit melodramatic, I know, but there are so ma ...more
Garrett
This is an encyclopedia of all things Ender. It is not meant to be read straight through, but referenced (although I did read it straight through because I wanted to know everything that was in there . . . and I have read the entire series and all the possible short stories and collections).

There are also a couple sections toward the back that describe the battle rooms, the design of the battle school, and the work of getting the story made into a movie. There is even a section where "friends" o
Leslie (That Chick That Reads)
I’m a fan of Orson Scott Card’s Ender series and was delighted to find this companion! I’m slowly re-reading the series and it’s opened up my eyes as well as refreshed my memory on some of the characters and events! The pictures that are included in The Technology of Ender’s Game, were very detailed and made the picture that was in my mind clear up. Black went into exclusive detail of every event, character, giving us a useful encyclopedia that needed to be created. This book provided a great in ...more
Boothby171
I especially loved the chapter on "The Technology of Ender's Game."

Because I wrote it.
Celine
This is a great guide if you are on your journey through the Enderverse. It has an Ender encyclopedia inside that gives you mini biographies of all of the characters if your mind ever needs refreshing and explains some of the technology that is used. It also has given me some insight on the writing of the screenplay for the upcoming Ender's Game movie.
Taj
Although comprehensive, the entries themselves are not annotated as to which book the information is taken from. Entries for major characters are lengthy and provide the "cliff notes" version of their life story as found in the numerous books in the series.

Interestingly, the weirder parts of the story (philotes, etc) remain just as incomprehensible. >.<
Jamie
Apr 04, 2010 Jamie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: friends of Ender Wiggin
Shelves: uncompleted
I didn't read it all...it's encyclopedic, after all. It's best enjoyed when reading the novels and you come across a reference that has been faded by memory.

There are a couple interesting essays, including one on the different of interpretations of Ender which have come up during screenwriting, and one on the technology in the Enderverse.
Stephen
Not only did I read it (and love it), but I also wrote the chapter on "The Technology of Ender's Game"!!

And you can buy it, now, new and hard-covered, for $2.50, on AMAZON.COM
Adam
A good way to remember what happened to everyone in the shadow and ender series.
Shannon Appelcline
Very detailed, if not necessarily that interesting.
Phaez
Phaez added it
Dec 24, 2014
Cameron
Cameron marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Lance Miller
Lance Miller is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2014
Cristella
Cristella marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
cody stair
cody stair is currently reading it
Dec 03, 2014
Abby Bartholomew
Abby Bartholomew marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Dule
Dule added it
Nov 03, 2014
Abby
Abby added it
Nov 06, 2014
Vic Stanton
Vic Stanton marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Nicholas Bozovic
Nicholas Bozovic marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show
  • Heroes and Monsters of Greek Myth
  • Movies In Fifteen Minutes: The Ten Biggest Movies Ever For People Who Can't Be Bothered
  • Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.
  • Star Wars: A Pop-Up Guide to the Galaxy
  • Star Trek and History
  • Brave New Words: The Oxford Dictionary of Science Fiction
  • The Tolkien Companion
  • A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
  • Badass: The Birth of a Legend: Spine-Crushing Tales of the Most Merciless Gods, Monsters, Heroes, Villains, and Mythical Creatures Ever Envisioned
  • Spider-Man: The Ultimate Guide
  • Rules for Writers
  • An Almost Perfect Moment: A Novel
  • Fit2Fat2Fit
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card...
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2) Ender's Shadow (Ender's Shadow, #1) Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #3) Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet, #4)