Start by marking “Under the Blue Flag: My Mission in Kosovo” as Want to Read:
Under the Blue Flag: My Mission in Kosovo

Under the Blue Flag: My Mission in Kosovo

Seeking to escape the monotony he had come to endure in his job as assistant District Attorney in San Francisco, Philip Kearney needed a change. His solution came one day in a casual email from a friend: "U.N. has opening here for an international prosecutor doing war crimes stuff. You should apply, gotta go."

"Here" meant Pristina, Kosovo. And "stuff" - Kearney soon finds
Published March 30th 2010 by Phoenix Books (first published February 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Under the Blue Flag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Blue Flag

Bob H
Dec 04, 2014 Bob H rated it it was amazing
Shelves: law-history
"The feeling of distance from my old life grew stronger as I met up with friends during my few days at home. They all wanted to know how Kosovo was, but I found it almost impossible to tell them. Even the simplest anecdote required so much background information to make any sense that I preferred not even to begin. I had been living in another universe."

And so, it needed a book-length telling. Here it is. To those who have studied international law and war crimes law, this book will be an anythi
Dec 18, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic
Picked up on a whim, I initially thought getting through this one would be like taking medicine. Good for you, but not pleasant. Because I know a few Macedonians I felt a need to understand where they were coming from as there opinions (about Albanians) are so strong, deep, and negative. My eyes are now more open thanks to the straight forward reporting of Philip Kearney, an American attorney who spent nearly a year trying to bring some kind of justice to the Albanian and Serbian people of Kosov ...more
Jan 25, 2011 Colleen rated it really liked it
Though I haven't been to Kosovo, I did spend two years living in Bosnia which struggled with many of the same challenges in the aftermath of the breakup of Yugoslavia. Kearney does a good job of framing an incredibly complicated set of issues in order to make them palatable to readers unfamiliar with the complexities of war crimes tribunals. His picture of working for the UN as an American rings true and provides an excellent introduction into that lifestyle. Though I would have preferred more f ...more
Adam Paradowski
Feb 11, 2013 Adam Paradowski rated it liked it
A good read. Once I got started it was hard to put down. Got a bit tired of the author continually commenting how odd it must be to everyone to see an American working for the UN.
Jan 09, 2016 Dan rated it really liked it
An easy and interesting read, I found Mr. Kearney's sphere of the Kosovo conflict to be very interested and also quite balanced. A great read.
Ryan Quinn
Ryan Quinn rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2010
Patrick Sullivan
Patrick Sullivan rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Jen rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2015
Aaron Smith
Aaron Smith rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2011
Fitim Bozhdaraj
Fitim Bozhdaraj rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Michael rated it liked it
May 23, 2012
Julia N ONeil
Julia N ONeil rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Joshua rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Sharat rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Alex rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2016
Laura Alina
Laura Alina rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Andrew rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Melissa rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2013
Elliott rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2011
Laura Hall
Laura Hall rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Emily rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2014
Ross Low
Ross Low rated it really liked it
May 24, 2015
Constance Vincent
Constance Vincent rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Jaime rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2013
Sue Dawson
Sue Dawson rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Doug Leung
Doug Leung rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Emily Guiney
Emily Guiney rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Marc Statham
Marc Statham rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Flamur Flamo
Flamur Flamo rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Lauren Stewart
Lauren Stewart rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013