Start by marking “Star Spangled Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #11)” as Want to Read:
Star Spangled Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #11)

Star Spangled Murder (Lucy Stone #11)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  808 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Lucy Stone is in the doghouse--with her next-door neighbor, Mrs. Prudence Pratt. It seems that Kudo, the Stones' misbehaving mutt, has developed a taste for Mrs. Pratt's blue-ribbon winning chickens, as well an escape artist's talent for sneaking out. With the Fourth of July coming up, Lucy doesn't want to set off any more fireworks with the crabby Prudence.

Another sign t
Published June 7th 2005 by Kensington (first published January 11th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Star Spangled Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Spangled Murder

Mandy Blair Crider
Jun 30, 2016 Mandy Blair Crider rated it really liked it
Minus the tragic pet incident this was a great book! Lucy always makes me laugh even though she's a worrier. The ending was perfect and the plot was great for a 4th of July story. Lobster poaching, nudity, no fireworks, a hit and run.... All make for a great story!
Melissa (Take Joy)
Feb 03, 2013 Melissa (Take Joy) rated it did not like it
Animal Lovers Beware of this book.

I started these books looking for a good cozy series that had a strong female lead in a loving relationship with her husband. What I got was a weak-minded female character who is too afraid to raise her kids properly because she wants them to like her and treats her husband more like a casual acquaintance than her husband. The characters are flat and exist for one reason and one reason only- to give Lucy Stone something to complain about in her head.

I have read
Kate
Feb 05, 2016 Kate rated it liked it
This book was annoying in many ways (for example, Lucy's whole "gee, I wish there's something I could do?" attitude about her teenage daughter sunbathing with a group of nudists. Be a parent Lucy!) and I didn't like the careless way the family dog was treated. But apart from that, this book gave me everything else I've come to expect from a Lucy Stone book and so it was enjoyable enough to merit 3.5 stars.
Nancy Anderson
Oct 23, 2013 Nancy Anderson rated it liked it
Set in Maine. Nice family...slow start but it came together nicely to the finish. Loved her friend, Sue.
Lisa
Jul 26, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Great light murder mystery... she is a great writer and I enjoy her story lines and characters!
Tabby Kat
Lucy Stone, wife, mother and full time reporter of the Tinker's Cove, Maine weekly paper the Pennysaver was covering the Board Of Selectmen's meeting.

Normally the most interesting thing at the meeting was whether she would be able to stay awake during it. Tonight, however things turned out to be exciting.

Jonathan Franke, local environmentalist has discovered that the purple spotted lichen plant is growing around Tinker's Cover. And by state law, any endangered species must be protected at all
Catherine
May 13, 2015 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Lucy Stone is in the doghouse with her neighbor Prudence Pratt. It seems that Kudo, the Stone's misbehaving mutt, has developed a taste for Mrs. Pratt's blue ribbon chickens as well as a escape artists talent for sneaking out. With the 4th of Judy coming she doesn't want to set off any fireworks with Prudence. When a group of naturists a.k.a. nudists descends on Tinker's Cove a skinny dipping at the pond that borders Mrs. Pratt's property, giving her something to compla ...more
Luffy
Mar 17, 2014 Luffy rated it it was ok
It's odd how for certain authors genius appears only in flashes. Not in any way shape or form is this book great or even good. I never liked the courtroom scenes or any sort of administrative scene. Lucy's family were rarely seen and they never made their presence count, them being together near the end notwithstanding. The Prologue was a hoot and a magnificent start to an otherwise drab book. But I wonder if there was a clue in the song titled 'She Wore and Itsy Bitsy Eenie Meenie Yellow Polka ...more
Zuleima
Feb 02, 2016 Zuleima rated it really liked it
Meier really has gotten so much better with her work, I was honestly worried that they were just going to be awful books but I have found myself wanting to come back to Tinkers Cove and to see what the characters are all up to. This story was a little different with Lucy being the one who was under investigation and under media attention. It was a nice take on Meier's part with showing Lucy how other people must feel when a crime occurs and she's always under their noises with questions. The onl ...more
Kim j
Jun 14, 2013 Kim j rated it liked it
Shelves: meier
This book was not as offensive to women as some of the others but Lucy still complains ALOT!!! She never really does any investigating & the killer always confesses or she falls into solvong the crime. I am glad they are short & not expensive because I would be mad if I had paid good money for this. I gave it a three star only because out of the others this is good.
Carol
Jul 18, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
Another story from the Lucy Stone series. I enjoy Lucy and her family and all the trouble they get into. Their neighbor is murdered and Lucy and her son are considered suspects because of run ins they have had with the family. But they know they aren't guilty so to get the media off their case Lucy has to find out who the real murdered is.
Jan 26, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
Best book so far! I especially loved that the opening and closing chapters were cutely different than usual! I didn't think I could fall in love with the Stone clan anymore and I do with every book!
Linda
Nov 20, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
A neighbour is murdered; this time Lucy and family are suspects. The actual killer is a bit of a surprise. This is a long series, but it's holding up pretty well.
Mary
Oct 18, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Lucy and her family are viewed as being Hatfields and Mccoys with their neighbors who aren't very nice people.
Tammy Chaffins
Apr 29, 2016 Tammy Chaffins rated it really liked it
surprise ending tricked me!
Dale Di Pietro
Nov 20, 2015 Dale Di Pietro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No fireworks on the 4th of July!

Prudence Pratt is out to get Kudo, Lucy Stone's unruly pet dog after he continuously tries to kill her prize winning chickens. This is just the beginning of the problems at Tinkers Cove.

Naturalists (nudists) converge on Blueberry Pond, bringing unexpected exposure to the plight of this small town to save the 4th of July fireworks and parade while still protecting an endangered plant.

Sit back, put your feet up and enjoy Lucy Stone in this cosy mystery.
Nolan
Jan 12, 2016 Nolan rated it it was ok
It's hotter than usual in Tinker's Cove, Maine, and the locals are on edge for a variety of reasons. A rare form of lichen has been discovered, and that discovery will cancel the Independence Day fireworks activities. Naturally, it pits environmentalists against the conservative old-timers. Worse still, a group of nudists have determined that a pond near town is a great place for skinny-dipping, and they've put the word out on the web regarding their discovery. That pits the free-spirited libera ...more
CD
Mar 25, 2012 CD rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense, mystery
One more on the guilty pleasure list of entertaining books.

Amateur detective and newspaper reporter Lucy Stone is dealing with naturists, naturalists, and nincompoops who are all out to ruin the 4th of July!

Lucy's own daughter discovers the joy of sunbathing au natural until the creepy people show up at the local swimming hole. Then a rash ends that trauma for Lucy and family. There is still the problem of the criminal charges against her son for a fight, the legions of press and T.V. people s
Sheila Cronin
Aug 22, 2014 Sheila Cronin rated it it was amazing
I recommend this mystery writer for her attention to family dynamics. One thing Leslie Meier does very successfully is keep her protagonist, Lucy Stone, busy with marriage, family, community, newspaper job, and in this book, the family pet, as well as with the mystery that develops. Fresh, entertaining and credible. I feel I know Lucy Stone.

Sheila M. Cronin
Author, The Gift Counselor
Valerie
May 16, 2015 Valerie rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Not a bad cozy, but the electronic version had several spelling and grammar errors. In addition, there were parts of the story that did not flow very well, and the conclusion seemed forced and not very conclusive. I have not read any others by this author, but I am not sure I would pursue any due to the above problems.
Mary Schildman
Feb 10, 2015 Mary Schildman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Number 10 is good

Been a fan of "Lucy" for years. Missed a few books but catching up. Enjoyed this easy and fast moving story. Nice little twist at the end. Looking forward to reading more about "Lucy" and Tinkers Cove.
Amelia-Irene
Jul 24, 2011 Amelia-Irene rated it really liked it
I have liked this series, which I pick-up out of sequence all the time. This one seems to be more about some family relation trip problems that spill over... Things that happen when you have two college age kids still living at home, but trying to make a statement, and two kids that are still in grade school. Lucy and husband are trying to learn to cope with this learning curve as well as a neighbor of 20 years who's always been disagreeable, but more so of late. Lucy discovers the neighbor dead ...more
Angela
Feb 17, 2016 Angela rated it liked it
Enjoyed the book. It's a shame about what happened to Kudo but I wasn't overly surprised. Also the person who turned out to be the killer came out of nowhere. Had no idea or wonderings about that character at all.
Beverly
Feb 05, 2016 Beverly rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite series--this one didn't have much about Miss Tilley but there are nudists, chicken killing dogs and firework smuggling. All in all, a pretty cute read.
Julie
Aug 23, 2015 Julie rated it it was ok
Not as good as others in the series. I don't want to say why I didn't enjoy it as that would give away some of the story, but it just didn't hit the 'cozy' mark like others have.
Mirian
Aug 20, 2015 Mirian rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Pat
Oct 06, 2014 Pat rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Lucy Stone. Good, her dog gets out and kills a chicken. Next door neighbor is weird. Nudists stop by the town.
Are lobsters being poached?
Will there be fireworks?
Good.
Andrea
Things are changing in Lucy Stone's world and not all of the changes are comfortable for out amateur super-sleuth. The eleventh book in the Lucy Stone Mystery Series finds Lucy's family including one of her children under suspicion when one of their neighbors (a difficult one) up dead , a victim of a hit and run. Lucy gets hot under the collar over her children's lives as the summer temperatures rise. She is finding out how hard it is to be a parent to young adults who no longer confide in you, ...more
Carole Anderson
Sep 24, 2015 Carole Anderson rated it really liked it
These are such fun mysteries. I've read several and it's been fun living through the main family's lives. I remember Lucy being pregnant with the 4th child the last book I read and now Toby (the oldest) is 21! (Lot of murders for a small town - lol). If I want a quick, fun read, a Lucy mystery is perfect. Very enjoyable!
Linda
Jul 01, 2014 Linda rated it liked it
An enjoyable mystery. I didn't like that the murder didn't occur until 100 pages in and the culprit was just stumbled upon but overall a likeable book.
  • A Catered Halloween (A Mystery with Recipes, #5)
  • Gilt Trip
  • The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)
  • A Streetcar Named Expire (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #16)
  • The Legend of Sleepy Harlow (League of Literary Ladies #3)
  • Gingerbread Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13.5)
  • Murder of a Real Bad Boy (A Scumble River Mystery, #8)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Pumpkin Pied: A Gray Whale Inn Short Story
  • The Pumpkin Muffin Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #5)
Leslie Meier lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She is the creator of 'Lucy Stone', a reporter and amateur sleuth in New England.

More about Leslie Meier...

Lucy Stone (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Wedding Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #8)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)

“Lucy Stone wasn’t usually a clock watcher. Time didn’t pass slowly for her; it galloped ahead of her.” 0 likes
“It’s not a guideline—it’s a deadline.” 0 likes