Start by marking “All the Places to Love” as Want to Read:
All the Places to Love

All the Places to Love

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  1,194 ratings  ·  151 reviews
A little boy recounts all the special places on his family's farm. Eli knows that no matter where the rest of his life takes him, all the places to love are right here, connected to the land. MacLachlan's moving text is paired with stunning full-color illustrations that capture the simple beauty of farm life.
Hardcover
Published May 28th 1994 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about All the Places to Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Places to Love

Heidi
This book was great, but considering the author, I expected it to be. I wasn't prepared for the beautiful pictures. They are wonderful. And the story is sweet. I felt like I was there, where the world is relaxed and uplifting. Books like these make me wish I could raise my family in such a place full of love and happiness and memories. As much as I like the book, though, it is too slow for a story time.
Urs

So precious, with wonderful illustrations. ENJOY!
Kathryn
I think I was expecting more from this book since Patricia MacLachlan's novellas are so beautiful. This is still a really sweet story about all the dear places the little boy gets to experience as he grows up on his farm--and the family that makes it special. The illustrations are great, too. I don't know, though, I keep forgetting that I read it so it didn't really "grab" me, if you know what I mean.
Relyn
Oct 25, 2010 Relyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Cynthia Rylant
Shelves: lawsonland
This book is amazing. It is tender and sweet and full of wide-eyed wonder at the world around us. However, it is not one of those children's books written for adults. My class loved it when I read it to them to kick off our geography unit.
Olivia Lagore
All the places to love is a book my mother used to read to me all the time when I was little, and even today it holds such a special place in my heart. I too grew up showing my little brother all the places to love in our home.
The book tells the story of Eli, a little boy born onto his family's farm. As he grows up, he is introduced to all the places to love on the farm.
This would be a perfect book for Kindergarten as it first many of the standards for that grade, such as "Identify celebrations
Bonnie
This is one of my favorite children's books. It is a great example of the love that is shared within a family than spans generations. The artwork in this book is also beautiful.
Brenda Cregor
There are no memories more beloved to my soul than those which are attached to my mother's small yellow kitchen.
Though the color scheme has been changed over the years, yellow is what it remains, golden, warm, inviting, full of love, and yes, sacrifice.
ALL THE PLACES TO LOVE takes me not only to that kitchen, but to wind-beaten Gulf Coast beaches, parks by a choppy bay, and the people who filled those humble places of my youth.
This simple, beautifully illustrated, book should be championed mor
Rosa Cline
This is a very heart touching and at times bring tears (happy) to your eyes (if your an adult reading it to your child) This is perfect book to buy for a new baby, or for an older sibling to "give' to a new sibling. Starts with the little boys' birth and all the wonderful things his family does with him in the outdoors and around the farm. Teaching him to enjoy the world and environment. Then his baby sister is born and he wants to share it all with her. The paintings just add to the wonderful s ...more
Kathryn Brewer
This story was a beautiful reminder to be thankful for everything in life, mainly focusing on nature and big moments in life in this story. I would read this to my class and discuss places they go with family or friends that they love. I could use this book during Thanksgiving week to discuss with my students they are grateful or thankful for.
Sherry Thornberry
Tara
This is a book that describes one family's favorite places, told from the perspective of a young boy. What I love most about this book, though, are its rich, descriptive language and its stunning, warm, soft, detailed painted illustrations that truly make this book a work of art!
Annika
The story itself is very sweet and endearing, however, it's the incredible paintings in this book that make it work.

I had the privilege of meeting this painter when I was in college, he's from Oklahoma and he is an incredible artist. His oil paintings are astounding, and then to see them shrunk down so as to fit on a storybook page seems a bit..wrong. But it has to work or else storybooks would be too massive to lift.

Very relaxing, escapism feel to this book, about a narrator (a father? a mother
Tina Mcconkie
I loved the imagery in this book. The themes of family and belonging shine through loud and clear. The illustrations match the text perfectly and add greatly to the story. This is the type of book you can read over and over and fall in love with it again each time.
Jen
This story is exquisite in paintings and in words. I love the way Ms. MacLachlan describes crows swaggering like pirates or trout flashing like jewels. Mr. Wimmer's art made me feel like the people could walk off the page.
Candace Offutt
I love Patricia Maclaughlan and I think this is a wonderful book, just like the rest of hers. I used this book for creating visuizations and making predictions with my students. They loved it and completed the tasks at-hand well.
Janice Redding
This was the first time I read this book. In fact, this book made me think of a peaceful place. I say this because one of the first places mentioned in the book was a valley. Personally, I have never been to a valley, so I automatically pictured it in my head. In general, this book evinced that no matter the location of a place, the reader is in control of not only what they learn, but what they experience as well. This book will be a great addition to my classroom library, so children can start ...more
Jana
This is a heartwarming book about growing up and all that home means. The paintings are awesome and I'm really excited to share this book with my 5th grade students and see what they think of it.
Lisa
This is a wonderful book for teaching prepositions. It has a beautiful story, and lovely illustrations. I read it to my fourth and fifth grade students, and they loved it as much as I did.
Virginia
This is a lovely book that everyone should hear or read at least once. Beautiful language and fitting illustrations make this a great read-aloud and mentor text for the classroom.
Tara
Memoir Genre. Vivid descriptions and illustrations - creates a feeling of wanting to be with the characters. "Soft sound of cows chewing". His birth-his sister's birth.
Lisa
This book takes me back to my childhood and spending time withy grandparents. You could use this as a writing prompt to help kids think of places that they love.
Tara
MacLachlan is one of my favorite authors. This picture book embraces nature, the land and family. Beautiful illustrations add to the effect. My six-year-old loved this, especially because the boy in the book shares his name, ELI. I highly recommend.
Ashley Brocious
Almost every page begins with an introductory clause that introduces a different character or thing and then an action following the clause.
Katie Carlisle
I think this book allows children to remember the places they love and it would be a good model to use as a writing prompt.
Megan Staten
This is a really good book about living in the country and growing up. The author really grasps the mind of a child.
It is very cute, it is a little bit like a poem, and I LOVE the paintings.
Good job Mike Wimmer
Elizabeth
Such a beautiful book. Read it while babysitting and almost started crying.
Linda Lipko
This is an author who touches the heart with both her illustrated and non-illustrated books.

This is a simple, delightful tale of life in the country. Told from the perspective of young Eli, we are drawn into the beauty of the earth and importance of family. This is a calming book that hearkened to a time when life provided the opportunity to stop and enjoy nature.
Alice
No body writes books like this anymore!! Everyone is trying to be different, trying something new, using crazy characters and stupid stories. It is SO refreshing, to have nice, honest, heart warming (without the cheese)book. Books about real things!

The illustrations are beautiful! I could just look at them all day. The story is sweet and the writing is beautiful! I think I am becoming a Patricia MacLachlan fan (I didn't know she wrote picture books until today...I just thought she was the Sarah
Hatka Prozorac
The book All the Places to Love by Patricia MacLachlan uses descriptive words to provide vivid images for the reader. The book focuses on a farm setting with descriptions of the farming lifestyle and animals. The book metions a wide range of farm animals. The book also mentions several senses, such as smell, taste, and smell. The book also focuses on family and generational differences of children, parents, and grandparents on farms. The book also discusses different types of landscapes. This bo ...more
  • The Old Woman Who Named Things
  • The Sweetest Fig
  • Weslandia
  • The Giant Carrot
  • Roxaboxen
Patricia MacLachlan is a bestselling U.S. children's author, best known for winning the 1986 Newbery Medal for her book Sarah, Plain and Tall.

For more information, please see http://www.answers.com/topic/patricia...
More about Patricia MacLachlan...
Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1) Skylark (Sarah, Plain and Tall #2) Waiting for the Magic Caleb's Story (Sarah, Plain and Tall #3) Edward's Eyes

“Where else," I will say, "does an old turtle crossing the path Make all the difference in the world?” 3 likes