All the Places to Love

All the Places to Love

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  943 ratings  ·  138 reviews
A little boy recounts all the special places on his family's farm. Eli knows that no matter where the rest of his life takes him, all the places to love are right here, connected to the land. MacLachlan's moving text is paired with stunning full-color illustrations that capture the simple beauty of farm life.
Hardcover
Published May 28th 1994 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1994)

Heidi
This book was great, but considering the author, I expected it to be. I wasn't prepared for the beautiful pictures. They are wonderful. And the story is sweet. I felt like I was there, where the world is relaxed and uplifting. Books like these make me wish I could raise my family in such a place full of love and happiness and memories. As much as I like the book, though, it is too slow for a story time.
Relyn
Oct 25, 2010 Relyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Cynthia Rylant
Shelves: lawsonland
This book is amazing. It is tender and sweet and full of wide-eyed wonder at the world around us. However, it is not one of those children's books written for adults. My class loved it when I read it to them to kick off our geography unit.
Bonnie
This is one of my favorite children's books. It is a great example of the love that is shared within a family than spans generations. The artwork in this book is also beautiful.
Bre Cregor
There are no memories more beloved to my soul than those which are attached to my mother's small yellow kitchen.
Though the color scheme has been changed over the years, yellow is what it remains, golden, warm, inviting, full of love, and yes, sacrifice.
ALL THE PLACES TO LOVE takes me not only to that kitchen, but to wind-beaten Gulf Coast beaches, parks by a choppy bay, and the people who filled those humble places of my youth.
This simple, beautifully illustrated, book should be championed mor...more
Rosa Cline
This is a very heart touching and at times bring tears (happy) to your eyes (if your an adult reading it to your child) This is perfect book to buy for a new baby, or for an older sibling to "give' to a new sibling. Starts with the little boys' birth and all the wonderful things his family does with him in the outdoors and around the farm. Teaching him to enjoy the world and environment. Then his baby sister is born and he wants to share it all with her. The paintings just add to the wonderful s...more
Tara
This is a book that describes one family's favorite places, told from the perspective of a young boy. What I love most about this book, though, are its rich, descriptive language and its stunning, warm, soft, detailed painted illustrations that truly make this book a work of art!
Annika
The story itself is very sweet and endearing, however, it's the incredible paintings in this book that make it work.

I had the privilege of meeting this painter when I was in college, he's from Oklahoma and he is an incredible artist. His oil paintings are astounding, and then to see them shrunk down so as to fit on a storybook page seems a bit..wrong. But it has to work or else storybooks would be too massive to lift.

Very relaxing, escapism feel to this book, about a narrator (a father? a mother...more
Tina Mcconkie
I loved the imagery in this book. The themes of family and belonging shine through loud and clear. The illustrations match the text perfectly and add greatly to the story. This is the type of book you can read over and over and fall in love with it again each time.
Candace Offutt
I love Patricia Maclaughlan and I think this is a wonderful book, just like the rest of hers. I used this book for creating visuizations and making predictions with my students. They loved it and completed the tasks at-hand well.
Janice Redding
This was the first time I read this book. In fact, this book made me think of a peaceful place. I say this because one of the first places mentioned in the book was a valley. Personally, I have never been to a valley, so I automatically pictured it in my head. In general, this book evinced that no matter the location of a place, the reader is in control of not only what they learn, but what they experience as well. This book will be a great addition to my classroom library, so children can start...more
Lauren Giobetti
Author is very descriptive in the different places. Adjectives used are powerful and help describe the importance and emotions attached to each location. Such a great read for students.
Tara
Memoir Genre. Vivid descriptions and illustrations - creates a feeling of wanting to be with the characters. "Soft sound of cows chewing". His birth-his sister's birth.
Lisa
This book takes me back to my childhood and spending time withy grandparents. You could use this as a writing prompt to help kids think of places that they love.
Tara
MacLachlan is one of my favorite authors. This picture book embraces nature, the land and family. Beautiful illustrations add to the effect. My six-year-old loved this, especially because the boy in the book shares his name, ELI. I highly recommend.
Ashley Brocious
Almost every page begins with an introductory clause that introduces a different character or thing and then an action following the clause.
Katie Carlisle
I think this book allows children to remember the places they love and it would be a good model to use as a writing prompt.
Megan Staten
This is a really good book about living in the country and growing up. The author really grasps the mind of a child.
Elizabeth
Such a beautiful book. Read it while babysitting and almost started crying.
Linda Lipko
This is an author who touches the heart with both her illustrated and non-illustrated books.

This is a simple, delightful tale of life in the country. Told from the perspective of young Eli, we are drawn into the beauty of the earth and importance of family. This is a calming book that hearkened to a time when life provided the opportunity to stop and enjoy nature.
Alice
No body writes books like this anymore!! Everyone is trying to be different, trying something new, using crazy characters and stupid stories. It is SO refreshing, to have nice, honest, heart warming (without the cheese)book. Books about real things!

The illustrations are beautiful! I could just look at them all day. The story is sweet and the writing is beautiful! I think I am becoming a Patricia MacLachlan fan (I didn't know she wrote picture books until today...I just thought she was the Sarah...more
Hatka Prozorac
The book All the Places to Love by Patricia MacLachlan uses descriptive words to provide vivid images for the reader. The book focuses on a farm setting with descriptions of the farming lifestyle and animals. The book metions a wide range of farm animals. The book also mentions several senses, such as smell, taste, and smell. The book also focuses on family and generational differences of children, parents, and grandparents on farms. The book also discusses different types of landscapes. This bo...more
Amanda Stacy
This is a great text to self for students have have been to a farm or text to world doe those who have not. This book is about a young boy named Eli who lives on a farm. Eli tells about the farm and all the special places on the farm. His details give the reader a feeling of what he loves the most about the farm and what he does with his family. The rich details give the reader a safe and comforting feeling. This could be used as a great story for students to retell or write a story using their...more
Deyanne
"There's no place like home!"
Jarm Del Boccio
Loved this sweet book! A boy learns to love his parents/grandparents farm as they introduce him to "all the places to love". Then, when his sister is born, he dreams about the day he can do the same for her. The last page brought tears to my eyes. It reads, "All the places to love are here, I'll tell her, no matter where you may live. Where else, I will say, does an old turtle crossing the path Make all the difference in the world?" I've lived in the city all my life...this book inspires me to h...more
Melanie Atkinson
This is one of those books I can't get through without crying. About 1/4 of the way in, my voice starts cracking and I wind up having to stop reading to gather myself together while my kids looks at me like I'm nuts. Maybe I am nuts.
My mother in law gave it to me after I had given birth to my first little boy (whom I named Eli like the main character) and I was overwhelmed with the tenderness and the gentle flow of the story. Definitely a must have book in any storybook collection.
Alana Arlequin
From personal experience, I cannot relate to the family structure or the setting expressed in this book. However, I really enjoyed this book it made me feel calm and peaceful. I was able to visualize the setting and the interactions between the characters. This would be a great book for a read-aloud before nap for younger students or as a reflection as well as a tool for critically looking at multiculturalism and diversity.This would also be a great book for a imaging lesson.
Josiah
The beautiful writing of Patricia MacLachlan in this story is so seamlessly interwoven with the equally beautiful illustrations by Mike Wimmer as to make the two one, a rare and magnificent accomplishment for a picture book. The story is highly memorable and deeply moving, among the very best picture books that I have ever read. As usual, Patricia MacLachlan's genius for resplendent simplicity comes through in these pages with breathtaking clarity. Quite an accomplishment.
Sheniqua
This book was very serene, peaceful and reminded me of my home back in the country. I can just picture dark green grass, dust flying up the air, and my grandmother sitting on the porch while my grandfather watches his old cowboy movies on the Western channel. I would use this book during an activity where we are discussing our five senses and also a book available in the class library for my students to enjoy when they are feeling stressed or not having a very good day.
Wendy
I really liked this book. I thought that it was a very beautiful book. I think that this book would be great in a classroom to introduce a different culture. Some students are not familiar with rural life, and this book allows them to get a good feel for it. We did an activity in class that I really liked. We were not allowed to see the pictures and we had to write about what we saw and felt. It was a great way to get us into the book and really use our imaginations.
  • The Old Woman Who Named Things
  • Bigmama's
  • Roxaboxen
  • The Sweetest Fig
  • Come On, Rain!
  • Brave Irene (Sunburst Books)
Patricia MacLachlan is a bestselling U.S. children's author, best known for winning the 1986 Newbery Medal for her book Sarah, Plain and Tall.

For more information, please see http://www.answers.com/topic/patricia...
More about Patricia MacLachlan...
Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1) Skylark (Sarah, Plain and Tall #2) Waiting for the Magic Caleb's Story (Sarah, Plain and Tall #3) Baby

“Where else," I will say, "does an old turtle crossing the path Make all the difference in the world?” 3 likes