Start by marking “Inside: One Man's Experience of Prison” as Want to Read:
Inside: One Man's Experience of Prison

Inside: One Man's Experience of Prison

In 1994 John Hoskison, a successful professional golfer, accepted a few drinks after a game and killed a cyclist when driving home. This work recounts his time inside one of Britain's toughest prisons following the incident: the squalor, violence, noise, stench, brutality, drugs and danger.
Unknown Binding, 224 pages
Published June 18th 1998 by Not Avail (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside

Joanne
Dec 29, 2013 Joanne rated it it was amazing
A humble, well written account about a man's experience of prison life. I enjoyed reading his book he could of revealed more though I respect what he did share. Truthfully everyone at some point in life have ignored instinct and made the wrong decision enduring the consequences.
A.C. Fullwood
Apr 27, 2012 A.C. Fullwood rated it it was amazing
Originally I decided to read this book for research purposes, but then found myself being drawn into an emotional and touching account of REAL life prison. Hoskison's Deeply personal and truthful story should be made available and read by anyone, particularly the young, who are contemplating or involved in a life of crime. Prison is no holiday camp! I highly recommend this well written book if you have an interest in the crime genre or a fascination of what goes on inside the head of someone who ...more
David Fallan
Mar 02, 2013 David Fallan rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Well written and a complete eye opener. It took courage to open your soul to write this book.
Maureen
Nov 08, 2014 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the true story of professional golfer John Hoskison. It shows how, after 20 years as a well respected player, he chose to ignore his conscience for the first time in his life, accepted drinks after an event, and then proceeded to drive home. This moment of madness resulted in him colliding with a cyclist on a country road, killing the man instantly. Instead of stopping, he fled the scene in panic. After a year on bail, he was sentenced to 3 years in prison. This book tells how it REALLY ...more
Beej
Jun 11, 2014 Beej rated it liked it
I picked this book up looking for something to expose the reality of British prisons and the justice system, and for the biggest part it did. I enjoyed John's narrative and his naive insight through the introductory stages of his stay at prison.

I did find the golf metaphores a little tiring, and some of the language used to describe John's black inmates suggested racist undertones.

All in all it was a short but enjoyable read that highlights the stress and danger that British prisoners are expos
Sonya Dickerson
Aug 11, 2012 Sonya Dickerson rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for a prison story where the author actually takes responsibility for what he did wrong, this is a book for you. I wasn't aware that the story was about a prison in England but it was. Boy was my impression of English jails wrong. I naively thought they played cricket and drank tea all day long. Very cruel world indeed, as most prisons I assume.

Even though he was sentenced to prison, I really felt sorry for him that his life ended up that way but he did learn from his mistake
Roger Neilson
Aug 12, 2014 Roger Neilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, finished in one sitting. Truly terrifying account of what life is actually like in prison. Shows how one stupid mistake can almost destroy someone.
Christopher Fox
Jun 22, 2017 Christopher Fox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frightening, honest, mature view of life inside H.M. (i.e. British) prisons. Totally accepting the punishment for his crime (many times in the narrative he expresses heartfelt remorse for the pain he caused to so many others), the shock of hard-core prison life for a successful, otherwise upright citizen is palpable in these pages. How he was able to survive not only the physical degradation and dangers but also deal with his profound despair is the substance of the story. His is, I'm sure, an a ...more
Jool
Jun 27, 2017 Jool rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true story about a PGA Tour golfer who had a car accident, killing a motorcyclist. He was in prison for three years. (Takes place in England). If you want to understand what it is like to be an upstanding professional who finds himself in some of the worse prisons in the country, and how he copes, I highly recommend this book. This was a fascinating testimony. I hope you read it.
Lorie
Mar 25, 2017 Lorie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful

Staggering information regarding the truth of prison politics. Nothing held back, by the author as to personal experience and feelings regarding his journey. It would be interesting to know if changes have occurred, in the system, after this expose.
Mark A.
Jun 26, 2017 Mark A. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book grips you from page 1. It reads like a novel. The author does a superb job in taking you on an emotional journey with him.
Naomi
Mar 01, 2017 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tough lesson

This should be read by everyone of all ages. One moment of choice can make a terrible difference not only in your life but will spiderweb to all other lives it touches. This is reality and it can happen to any of us. It just takes one bad decision for some. For others, it is bad decisions on raising children who sadly never have a chance and it is only a matter of time when hope is lost forever.
Judith Sentyz
Mar 02, 2017 Judith Sentyz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review

This book was very well written. It educates about Britain's prisons and I learned much. His story was sad, humorous, a little scary at times but interesting. It's a good read.
Christina
Nov 25, 2012 Christina rated it liked it
I stumbled upon this book on the iTunes Book store as I was looking for my next read and I'm glad I found it. Although it's not usually a book that I would be drawn to, I was pleasantly surprised. John Hoskison was a professional golf player and decided to write this Autobiographical story of his time in Prison after he drunkenly killed a cyclist when driving home from an event one night. During his time in Prison, John witnessed the incompetence and blatant disregard of the prison staff towards ...more
~lucy~
Apr 21, 2015 ~lucy~ rated it it was amazing
This book was a compelling, if not entirely enjoyable, read.
I had not heard of John Hoskison, who had achieved some fame as a professional golfer before his life changed on a November evening when he did something that he had never done before and accepted a drink after a golf match before driving home. On his journey home he hit and killed a cyclist and was sentenced to three years in prison.
Unlike many people who find themselves in a situation like this, from day 1 John admitted his offence a
Phil Patterson
Mar 05, 2016 Phil Patterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
This books follows the prison sentence of John Hoskison as he has to give up a professional golf career due to hitting a cyclist whilst under the influence of alcohol.

As he has to adapt and change his lifestyle and learn to sink or swim in an environment to which he never imagined that he would ever experience. As we travelled through John's experience of prison, we got an insight into prison life that we would never have been given by the government or by media.

This book is a good book and well
Rosemarie Short
Apr 10, 2013 Rosemarie Short rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
After watching the TV series OZ (which is fantastic and I would recommend to all) I wanted to delve deeper into the reality of prison life. John Hoskison was a professional golfer who, in a previously unheard of occasion, drank and drove - leading to the death of a cyclist. Thanks to his unblemished record and the plea of the cyclist's widow for leniency Hoskison got three years; this is the recounting of his three years in prison. It's hard hitting in it's honesty and I was struck by Hoskison's ...more
John E. Donovan
Mar 01, 2016 John E. Donovan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the blink of blink of an eye!

A lapse of good judgment, fearing his friend would think less of him for refusing another drink, ultimately, finds the author in court for vehicular homicide, where he is found guilty and sentenced to three years in prison. If you've ever wondered what it might be like to serve time in prison, this book will give you a good idea of what you might expect should this nightmare become your reality. A very personal, and very scary, account of prison life, and one that
Tim Worley live
An emotional and compelling journey as John Hoskison is a man who has gone through the prison system. This is his journey from profesional golfer to a life mixing with murderers and serious criminals. His account is graphic and honest and questions the lack of rehabilitation for offenders. It is supposed to squash any belief that prison life is easy as is often depicted in the media. I found it honest, at times engrossing - be interesting to find out how the system has changed in the 20 years si ...more
Stan Brown
Jul 11, 2014 Stan Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating!

We all have ideas from the movies of what it's like in prison, but it's something else again to hear from someone articulate, who accepts responsibility for the action that put him there but can still make a case for why the treatment of prisoners is not just bad for them but bad for society.

English usage was good, and there were too few typos to be troublesome.

I'd like to see a similar book from a prisoner in a US prison. I suspect the abuses from trying to make a profit out of pris
Carla Harris
Jun 29, 2014 Carla Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never read a book like this before.

if you are looking for a true story that is truly different this one up is for you. Reading about the inside workings of a priest is unique...no it's no an American one...none the less it was still an horror place. See how some of the prisoners made good come out of their incarceration...
Rosalynd Friend
Good read, not sure how much the prisons have changed since the human rights act came out after this book.

Good read gripping lines.
To hear it from Hoskisons point of view was good. I couldn't agree more around the issues of drug use. The government must do more to help the addicts.
Sarah Watson
Feb 27, 2016 Sarah Watson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a really good read of one man's time in prison - not once did he say he shouldn't be there but as an ordinary person entering the prison it was a case of doing the time as quietly and productively as possible
Marti
Dec 11, 2015 Marti rated it liked it
usually I don't read non-fiction, but this sounded as though it might be interesting--and it was. John served three years in various British prisons for a drunk driving murder. His background was professional golf. How he coped with this experience is rather interesting.
Janice Richardson
Feb 13, 2016 Janice Richardson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to believe that one could endure the conditions Mr. Hoskison had to face in the prison system. The fact that he persevered and is advocating for reform is a testament to the kind of individual he is.
Troy Cook
Oct 04, 2014 Troy Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was touched by the genuine remorse this man had for his crime. He committed his crime and he did his time knowing he deserved his punishment. In the end a man came out the other end of this with a better insight into the world and his part in it.An enlightening read.
frederick l payette
To Hell and Back

A nightmare journey into a maelstrom of deceit and senseless violence navigated by a courageous ,gentle person of steely character.A winner certainly of a badge of honour.
Karen Fiddler
It's that boring I have abandoned it
Debbie
Apr 02, 2012 Debbie rated it it was amazing

Great book. Eye opening insight into prison life and how no-one can/should take anything for granted.
Ruth Turner

A compelling story and very well written.

Unfortunately, it didn't come to life for me. I got no real feel for the characters or the prisons. Nevertheless, it was an interesting read.

Author Comments 2 5 Aug 28, 2012 10:12AM
  • Dead Man Running: The True Story of a Secret Agent's Escape from the IRA and the Mi5
  • Today Everything Changes
  • I Think I'm OK
  • Ten Thousand Miles by Freight Train: A Memoir of Beauty and Freedom on the Rails
  • Yellow Green Beret Vol. I: Stories of an Asian-American Stumbling Around U.S. Army Special Forces
  • Fish: A Memoir of a Boy in a Man's Prison
  • The Line, the Itch and the Rabbit Hole
  • You Saved Me, Too: What a Holocaust Survivor Taught Me about Living, Dying, Fighting, Loving, and Swearing in Yiddish
  • The Last Enemy (Classics Of War)
  • Fragments of Isabella: A Memoir of Auschwitz
  • What the Butler Winked At: Being the Life and Adventures of Eric Horne, Butler
  • The Plutonium Files: America's Secret Medical Experiments in the Cold War
  • The Rugmaker of Mazar-e-Sharif
  • To Die in Mexico: Dispatches from Inside the Drug War
  • Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story of Death, Deception, and Dishonor in Iraq
  • Jimmy