Start by marking “Go Fish” as Want to Read:
Go Fish

Go Fish (Go Fish #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  279 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Ian and Cal have known each other since they were kids. When Cal offers to let Ian move in with him, Ian doesn't even let the fact that Cal is gay factor in. It's supposed to be a joke when Ian brings home a fish bowl with no fish, but when Cal buys fish and comes into Ian's room to check on them, Ian starts seeing more of Cal than he'd counted on, and liking what he sees....more
ebook, 1st Edition, 83 pages
Published December 2nd 2009 by Torquere Books

I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal RoseShattered Glass by Dani AlexanderCut & Run by Abigail RouxSno Ho by Ethan DayTell Me It's Real by T.J. Klune
The Best Humorous Gay Romances
72nd out of 365 books — 897 voters
Faith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon SuedeThe Tin Star by J.L. LangleyPromises by Marie SextonThe Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay Friends Become Lovers
66th out of 488 books — 800 voters

More lists with this book...

Vio
Just what I needed as a pick me up, so hilarious and such a fun read I had to control myself with my outbursts of sudden laughter. I thought Ian and Cal would never get it together every attempt was one disaster after another, the fish were the secret matchmakers in them both finally getting it right. I loved it, this story was cute and entertaining perfect for anyone wanting a sweet and lovely romance!

Thanks Sims for recommending this!
Deeze
I'm not a fan of GFY but this one felt right.

The humour is great, I was laughing out loud in the pet shop, and the comedy of errors after kept me chuckling.

Ian and Cal make a great couple. But as always this is a short so don't expect too many details on backgrounds.

A sweet little coming together read with laughs aplenty.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
I first read this one in March 2011 but for some reason didn't rate or review it.
Deeze brought it back to my attention with her review and I decided to reread it.

Humor is hard to do, describing physical slapstick like accidents is difficult, at least to make it so I can picture it and think it's cute.
The author managed it with this one though and of course the fish shopping was cute.
Cal and Ian have been best friends forever, we don't really get Cal's thoughts but it's still pretty clear they ha...more
Irena
You cannot find this story anywhere now. I've read it thanks to a friend. There are so many crappy stories around that I don't understand why this isn't available anymore.

You've probably read a few friends to lovers stories already, so you know what to expect. Cal and Ian are roommates too. What you probably haven't read about are all kinds of jinxed ways Ian is trying to seduce his best friend. There is nothing pathetic about him. His stubborn persistence combined with bad luck are hilarious.
Heather C
Cute, funny story about two best friends who use fish to bring themselves closer together.

R.I.P. Scrappy I, II, and III
Jenre
I was attracted to this story because it sounded like quite a fun little read. After all the angsty books I’ve been reading recently, I fancied something light and this cute little Gay For You story involving two best friends whose fish buying habits bring them together was just the ticket.

Ian and Cal have been friends since childhood. Ian has recently moved in with Cal after his last flatmate got married and he couldn’t afford the rent on his own. Cal is gay and Ian is straight but obviously li...more
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I liked this short story it was so funny but it lacked development in the end the last 20% or so seems to be focused on sex and I would have rather had it focus on how their relationship developed after they had sex instead of focusing on the sex
Meep
Up until the first kiss this book is a big smile of cute goofyness. I loved it. Unfortunately (for me) it went rapidly downhill from there and I ended up skimming to the end.

There's a very chatty feel to the writing that's a bit marmite, and the humour is all physical slapstick which is never my favourite - this could therefore be a case of not-for-me.

I liked the fish, they were cute. A couple of times I couldn't quite figure out what was going on though, it felt like information was missing. A...more
Candice
Nov 25, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Candice by: Vio
All I can say is if you are looking for a book that is light and give you a good laugh, this is the one.
Kassa
This is a very cute and funny story about two best friends that fall in love. The humorous touches make the light narrative one that is just flat out adorable and fun to read. The narrative style is pretty informal with a lot of internal musing and physical antics which works well in the short length but I would have been annoyed with if the story had gone on longer. If you’re looking for a cute, fun story with a lot of laugh out loud moments, this bit of comic genius is a must read.

The story i...more
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This was a super cute and funny read. Ian and Cal are hilarious. I loved their relationship and how they start to develop something because of Ian's fish. Those poor fish. Marcy was a nice edition to this short and definitely should be given a reward for getting Ian and Cal together. I loved the book but the ending of it seemed abrupt as well as sex filled. Since the book has barely any sex, I was shocked that it ended with an almost nonstop sex scene which put me off a bit. Still, I enjoyed the...more
Stacey Jo
This was a very cute and sweet short story of two long time best friends who finally see each other as more than just BFFs and take the plunge. One is gay while the other is straight, or maybe not as straight as he thought. Through a series of mishaps, and a fishbowl for an excuse, that they finally come together. A really good read!
Chris
This m/m romance was great fun! I laughed out loud more than a few times at some of the wonderfully clever bits, such as this: “He had no idea why he was thinking with dramatic pauses now. He just was.” Or this: 'He was not pouting. 'Yes, you were.' He was not doing a very good job of keeping his inner thoughts inner, either.'
Simsala
May 13, 2011 Simsala rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Cute and funny Screwball(-driver)-Comedy with matchmaking fish and hot s..!
Camille
I really appreciate the means by which I got to read this. Gigi generously loaned it to me. It's out of print now so I was happy to get it at all.

Unfortunately, it wasn't to my liking. It's very slapstick and I was overdosing on the brand of humour employed here: rambling, double entendres, silly witticisms, self effacing and mocking, overly jocular/never ever serious etc.

Then there was the oxymoronic purpleness of the prose and Spartan action in the sex scenes. So, this book is accomplished if...more
Serena Yates
This is a wonderful story written with a hilarious sense of humor that made me laugh even though the situation of Ian, the main character, isn't funny throughout most of the story. Not really.

Ian and Cal have been best friends since grade school and are now roommates. The 'excuse' of the fish that happen to be in Ian's room and 'need' checking by Cal is a great ploy to get the two together. Or make them try to. It takes quite a few mishaps, accidents and Ian falling violently ill for the two men...more
orannia
Nov 16, 2010 orannia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to orannia by: Meredith Shayne
Shelves: m-m
Four and three quarter stars. Yes, I'm knocking off one-quarter of a star because I'm being nit-picky. There were a few editing errors that knocked me out of the story slightly. Other than that (and I know I'm being really being nit-picky but editing errors are a bug bear of mine) I adored this novella. It was light, it was witty (and normally various authors' attempts at witty leave me frowning as I have no sense of humour :) and even though it was short the characters felt real and 3D to me. I...more
Mary
Ian realizes he has feelings for his friend Cal. What follows is a hilarous and sometimes embarrassing comedy of errors as he goes about trying to make his feelings known.

This novella definitely hit the spot. I loved the fact that instead of a drama about a straight man falling for his gay friend and coming to terms with his sexuality, it was just a fun and sweet story about a guy falling in love with a dear friend-that this friend was male wasn't even the issue. I totally loved this...Ian was j...more
Fairy / Anna
In fact, maybe it's 2,5 stars. This novel was pretty funny and cute, what was important, I didn't get bored, so why so low rating? In my opinion it was too chaotic, to understand what was really going on. I had an impression that something is missing. Once or twice I felt lost. Perhaps the fault of the fact that English is not my native language, but I don't think so, because I've never had this problem.
Lily

Cute, sexy story about best friends, one gay and the other straight, falling in love. I enjoyed the author's writing style and the humor found throughout the story.
Snowtulip
Apr 03, 2011 Snowtulip rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Snowtulip by: Alyosha
Shelves: m-m
I see fish in a whole new light now. I loved the humor in this book and it was just a great, fun read.
Mandi
3.5 stars. Funny story about two friends and one realizes he wants to be more with the other one.
Nene
Laugh out loud funny! Great, quick read.
OkayKim
Love it!!!!!
Tam
Jan 06, 2010 Tam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
It's short, it's only 46 pages but is one of the funniest 46 pages I've read in a while. It's so funny I was literally laughing out loud (not LOLing in my head) and my daughter thought I was insane. Okay, it was so good I had to read part of it out loud to her. (the non-smexin' part) It was so what I needed Monday. Straight Ian lives with his best friend forever Cal who is gay. Ian notices himself noticing Cal in other ways and he's not completely freaked out about it, but doesn't do anything. H...more
Yvonne
May 15, 2011 Yvonne marked it as dnf
I tried with this one, but could not get through it and it's a Very Short Book. I was overwhelmed by the cuteness. It's probably me--I'm too cynical, too jaded & forgot what it's like to be 12 and in love. Ok, just kidding there as they weren't really 12. I think they were some form of adult. I just couldn't tell from how they acted. If I eventually do finish reading this, and my opinions change I will of course, change the review. For now, cannot rate because I didn't finish.
Wendy (wluvsbooks)
I’m not sure exactly what I was expecting when I picked this book to read but it certainly wasn’t a laugh out loud cute story! The concept of the fish, the “go fish” game, and getting advice from a nerdy pet store clerk to get these guys together might seem a little corny or too cutesy, but it just worked for me. All of the characters were wonderful and I couldn’t get the smile off my face while reading this one. I will most definitely be checking out the sequel. Loved it!
Mara Ismine
How could I resist a romance with a goldfish on the cover? I think that is Scrappy IV in all his glory.

This was a fun read and must have covered all the everyday disasters that can stop two guys getting together -- including a bout of food poisoning. Fortunately for Ian, Cal doesn't give up easily.

When you need a story that'll leave you smiling, this is it.
Cryselle
This was a fun and funny look at a couple of guys who can't quite get it together. Everything that can go wrong does go wrong, in entertaining fashion, until finally, it goes right. The ick factor of one of the disasters makes this a four rather than a 5 (4.5 isn't a choice) but it is a sweet light story and I'd definitely read more by this author.
Jess
Everything up until the first kiss was 5 star writing that had me laughing and loving it.
Everything after the first kiss was 1 star writing and frustrated the hell out of me.
I compromised with a 3 star rating. Its cute, but the ending is disappointing. Still worth a read but I think Im so peeved because this story had such promise to begin with.
  • All's Fair in Love and Advertising
  • Boys of Summer (Boys of Summer #1)
  • Left of Centre
  • Aquamarine
  • Out of the Closet (The Closet, #1)
  • The Match Before Christmas
  • If I Must
  • A Trouble Halved
  • Becoming Us
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O’Shaughnessys #2)
  • Wanting (Rocky Mountain High: Campus Hearts, #1)
  • Mandarin Orange: Sweet and Sour (Fruit Basket, #3)
  • Get What You Need
  • Inseparable (Inseparable #1)
  • Written in the Stars
  • Unspeakable Words
  • Tortoise Interruptus
  • Eight Days
Sticky Fingers (Sequel to Go Fish) Derelict

“He was not pouting. 'Yes, you were.' He was not doing a very good job of keeping his inner thoughts inner, either.” 3 likes
“He had no idea why he was thinking with dramatic pauses now. He just was.” 3 likes