Start by marking “Moon Bear” as Want to Read:
Moon Bear

Moon Bear

3.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Moon Bears, or Asiatic black bears, are so named because of the white moon-shaped blaze on their chests. The moon bears are seldom seen but their footprints, claw marks, hair, and bear nests high in the trees give us clues about how they live. Sadly, there are now more moon bears in captivity than in the wild, as these animals are being "farmed" for their commercially valu ...more
Published May 11th 2010 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Bear

Over and Under the Snow by Kate MessnerOwl Moon by Jane YolenThe Mitten by Jan BrettWaiting for Winter by Sebastian MeschenmoserLost and Found by Oliver Jeffers
Picture Books About Snow Animals
104th out of 109 books — 22 voters
Wabi Sabi by Mark ReibsteinLon Po Po by Ed YoungThe Masterwork of a Painting Elephant by Michelle CuevasSeven Blind Mice by Ed YoungRed Thread by Ed Young
Best of Ed Young
77th out of 79 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Sep 22, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Charming, lyrical text by Brenda Guiberson really captures the activities of the moon bear, playing, searching, eating, hunting, being wary, sleeping... I was not quite as captivated by Young's illustrations as I wanted to be. I really appreciate his artistic vision and the collage effect is very neat, but it just isn't really my style in this case. Still, this is a very worthwhile read for anyone who enjoys nature and animals and is endorsed by Jane Goodall. Moon bears aren't very well known an ...more
Tasha
Jun 14, 2010 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Follow a moon bear through a year from one spring to the next. Each page begins with a question that is then answered through a short verse. So much of the book, just as with the bear’s life, is taken up with the search for food. Food that will make children squirm and food that they too would love to find. Guiberson’s text is more poetry than scientific information, offering readers a beautiful look at a rare creature. Adding to the beauty of the book are the amazing collage illustrations by Ed ...more
Laura Harrison
Jun 11, 2015 Laura Harrison rated it it was amazing
Ed Young's pictures are captivating, bold and beautiful. A great preservation message.
Barbara
Jun 19, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
With edgy, colorful collage illustrations featuring different sizes and shapes and simple but moving words, the author and illustrator make an effective plea for these animals whose survival has been threatened by humans. The use of a chronological pattern describing the moon bear's year seems a bit awkward at points, lessening readers' appreciation for the book. But the photographs of moon bears at play on the book's closing pages makes up for that flaw in many respects. There is even a website ...more
Ivy Wesner
Nov 09, 2015 Ivy Wesner rated it really liked it
Guiberson, Brenda Z. Moon Bear. Henry Holt and Company, LLC, 2010. 40 p. Gr. P-3.
Moon Bear wakes after a long winter’s snooze. As she peeks through the sunlight of the Himalayas she seeks sweet food to fulfill her appetite after going many months without eating. As she journeys through the forest she marks her territory and climbs the trees to find more food. Moon Bear avoids poachers and loggers and again in the fall, gorges on extra food to fill her tummy for another long winter of hibernation
Carol Royce Owen
Apr 10, 2011 Carol Royce Owen rated it really liked it
I was introduced to this book by none other than Irene Fountas as she used it in a struggling readers workshop. This book, written in rhyme shares some great facts about the moon bear (which I had never heard of before) following it through a year in her life. There is so much that can be learned by students in this book including efforts to save the Moon Bear going on now.
Ashlyn Ryder
Sep 08, 2014 Ashlyn Ryder rated it it was ok
Shelves: libs-642
Guiberson, Brenda Z. (2010). Moon Bear. New York: Henry Holt.

Picture Book Soak

A picture book with a cause, this book brings attention to a special Asiatic bear endangered species. This could be a great addition to a book collection to teach young children about the concept of endangered species. The text offers great vocabulary sure to start conversation. My “picture walk” of the book left me wondering the story line because of several mostly dark colored full page pictures. Young readers may
Mylinh
Non-Fiction

Not my favorite book, but it offers good facts about the endangered Moon Bear for both young and older readers. Is a good book to show the basic behaviors of these bears and have younger children compare their actions to those of the Moon Bears. Additional information in the back of the book help readers learn more about Moon Bears and how they can help the species.

From School Library Journal
Starred Review. Grade 1–3—The endangered Moon Bear, or Asiatic black bear, is the subject of t
Destiny Thompson
Jul 17, 2015 Destiny Thompson rated it liked it
Shelves: nature
Moon Bear is a book that will have kids learning, without even knowing it. Moon bear's journey after awakening from hibernation is described to us detail. This book gives kids a better understanding of what bears do, it portrays bears as kind and curious. I would recommend this book for first or second grade children.
Feb 07, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it
Ok picture book - several of the words would have to be explained to most children. IE - "scat" as in bear poo.

The last few pages after the story are interesting facts on Moon Bear conservation.
Janie
Jan 25, 2016 Janie rated it it was ok
I found the illustrations unclear; the text lyrical but not quite appropriate for the young child. It must just me and this day: the author and illustrator are both excellent and well-credentialed.
Tom
Jan 22, 2014 Tom rated it it was ok
**SPOILERS**

I didn't like the sudden appearance of the cubs. I thought it was about the plight of the extiction of the moon bear and would have been happy to see the cubs playing at the end but we were robbed of the chance to see the relationship between Mother and Father develop.
Taylor Wood
May 04, 2015 Taylor Wood rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I think this is a cute book. It can help students develop an understanding of bears. It can be for any student who is interfered in leaning about animals,
Matthew
Jul 30, 2016 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Really cute, and the mixed medium art is beautiful in this book!
Carrie Gelson
Aug 04, 2014 Carrie Gelson rated it really liked it
Stunning illustrations and interesting back pages bump this to a 4.
Jean
Feb 21, 2016 Jean added it
This book works well to teach descriptive language.
David
Jun 24, 2010 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
Beautifully illustrated in collage art by Ed Young, Moon Bear gives a look into the little known world of the endangered Moon Bear. Photographs in the back show a number of moon bears at the Animals Asia Moon Bera Rescue Center in China. A series of questions and answers with some challenging descriptive vocabulary by author Brenda Guiberson generally match well with Youngs illustrations of these Asiatic black bears with white moon markings. Perhaps best shared in a small group or one on one.
Nielson
Oct 08, 2010 Nielson rated it did not like it
Follow the activities of this moon bear, otherwise known as an Asiatic Black Bear, as he sleeps, scratches, searches, scuttles, and shuffles along. With these very unique collage illustrations, kids will become more informed on these increasingly rare bears. Also included at the back is more information and pictures on moon bears. Honestly, I'm not sure how captivated kids will be by this book. Nothing grabbed my attention and it just felt dull.
Samantha
Jul 17, 2013 Samantha rated it liked it
Question and answer text reveals the way moon bears spend their days when in their habitats. Cut paper collages bring the moon bear's world to life.

Following the story is an author's note urging readers to take action to protect moon bears and contribute to the construction of sanctuaries so moon bears can enjoy the freedom to behave the way their built to behave.
Waller
Jan 06, 2010 Waller rated it liked it
A well-intentioned effort in a good cause (the protection of the severely endangered Asian moon bear), but I thought the text was a bit pedestrian and Ed Young's highly stylized collage illustrations were less effective for the purpose than photographs or more realistic illustration would have been.
Sharon Lawler
Amazing artwork by Ed Young, and simple text by Brenda Guiberson, lead us through a day in the life of an Asiatic Moon Bear. This book is part of an effort to improve the lives of the Moon Bear, as most of them live in captivity, and not in the wild as depicted in this book.
Dolly
Nov 07, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a short picture book that explains about Moon Bears. The narrative is fairly simple and the colorful collage illustrations are the highlight of the book. We all learned a little bit about these little-known creatures and we enjoyed reading the book together.
Kate
Mar 25, 2011 Kate rated it did not like it
Blech! I wanted to like this Ed Young-illlustrated book, but it was just awful. UGLY collage illustrations and one gross part about bear scat that I could not get past. I don't understand the raves about this book...
Judy Desetti
Feb 01, 2011 Judy Desetti rated it liked it
Illustrations are dark and hard to see, except as a lap book. But their texture and paper on paper technique is very interesting.

Story about an Asian bear who goes through the seasons spring to spring.
Courtney
Aug 11, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it
With illustrations done in a collage style similar to Eric Carle and short catchy prose to back them up, this book makes the endangered Moon Bear into a cute and lovable protagonist for this book.
Toby
Dec 13, 2010 Toby rated it it was ok
I love Ed Young's illustrations but these don't work for me: too dark, too confusing, and I don't think they inspire the reader to want to help save the bears, the underlying purpose for the book.
I liked the poems better then the illustrations, and the poems were not awesome. I found the illustrations to be muddy at times and hard to distinguish. Another fuse hopeful.
Linda
Jun 20, 2010 Linda rated it it was amazing
Beautiful minimalist language; fabulous collage art from a Caldecott medalist. The call-and-response approach has me even deeper in love with the Asiatic black bear.
Michelle
Oct 14, 2013 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Primitive cutout art but I guess that's just the style. What was really annoying is that the author would mention an animal (like a fox) and then not show it
Melanie
A picture book story about the year-long activities of the Asiatic Black Bear. Beautiful illustrations done by Caldecott winning illustrator Ed Young.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Elsie's Bird
  • Friends: True Stories of Extraordinary Animal Friendships
  • Yucky Worms
  • Born in the Wild: Baby Mammals and Their Parents
  • A Strange Place to Call Home: The World's Most Dangerous Habitats & the Animals That Call Them Home