Golf: An Unofficial and Unauthorized History of the World's Most Preposterous Sport

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  5 ratings  ·  2 reviews
As a serious player, a high handicapper, or simply a baffled onlooker to the awesome nonsense that is golf, have you ever wondered why, say, the golf balls have dimples, and the tee is both the thing you stick in the ground and the place you hit from, and the hole is so small, and the courses have all these big pits full of sand where any sane person would put grass?

Well...more
Published December 8th 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Golf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golf

Tom
If you are a golf nut, or just wish you were this book is a nice mix of golf history mixed with clever and witty humor. I found this book at the $1 store so for that price it really is a five star book.
Marilyn
My golf instructor gave me this book. Whimical, and funny at times. But in on the back of the toilet. Perfect place for it.
Jason Moss
Jason Moss marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Mr. George
Mr. George marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2012
Henry N. Beard (born ca. 1945) is an American humorist, one of the founders of the magazine National Lampoon and the author of several best-selling books.

Beard, a great-grandson of Vice President John C. Breckinridge, was born into a well-to-do family and grew up at the Westbury Hotel on East 69th Street in Manhattan. His relationship with his parents was cool, to judge by his quip "I never saw my...more
More about Henry N. Beard...
French for Cats: All the French Your Cat Will Ever Need Poetry for Cats: The Definitive Anthology of Distinguished Feline Verse Miss Piggy's Guide to Life Latin for All Occasions X-Treme Latin: All the Latin You Need to Know for Surviving the 21st Century