Start by marking “Poems of Color” as Want to Read:
Poems of Color

Poems of Color

Full-color reproductions of original pattern swatches, sweaters, and accessories from the Bohus workshop in Sweden, along with the history of the women who designed them.
Published December 1st 1995 by Interweave Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Poems of Color, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems of Color

Josiphine/Tessa
Eh. It was interesting enough, but calling Bohus knitting a 'cultural tradition' seems a bit overkill when it was invented for profit in the 1930s. The pictures and knitting itself are gorgeous, but not nearly as impressive as it was made out to be. An interesting look at the knitting economy in Sweden, but not really about folk knitting at all. The patterns included are very 1980s.
Greenmtngirl
Dec 30, 2007 Greenmtngirl rated it it was amazing
A fascinating look at Bohus sweater knitting in Sweden. There is great historical information as well as reproductions of some of the original color charts and photos of the sweaters.

Rather than a traditional form of knitting, Bohus stickning was founded by a visionary woman in 1939 to provide extra income for Swedish women in the wake of the Depression. The cooperative employed designers to create the patterns and hand knitters to complete the sweaters, which were sold worldwide and became coll
Poodytat
Jan 26, 2014 Poodytat rated it it was amazing
I've knit three of these designs in this order---Swan Cap, Red Palm Cap and Wild Apple Cap. Each was more difficult than the last. What makes the technique difficult is the purl stitches added to the stranded knitting. It's something I wasn't used to. Also, there can be four colors per row, which can be difficult to keep track of with just two hands. I thought about becoming at octopus. My biggest complaint is that the color key boxes are toi small and that makes it difficult to tell which color ...more
Beverly
Dec 26, 2011 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
I took a Bohus Knitting class at Stitches East in October. The technique is not difficult, but the designs are stunning. The teacher had many original Bohus garments for students to examine (with white gloves on to protect the fabric, of course), which was my favorite part of the class.

I received this book as a Christmas gift, and partnered with the information from class, I now have excellent understanding of the Bohus Knitting industry/movement. The background section is well researched, and
Cayenne
Mar 25, 2009 Cayenne rated it really liked it
Interesting story and beautiful patterns. About a Swedish woman, the govenor's wife in the state of Bohuslan, who very selflessly helped start a business allowing women in the area to earn money and support their families during an economic depression. I would love to knit one of these designs someday.
Tara
Aug 26, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing
Overview of Bohus Stickning in Sweden. A great companion to Susanna Hansson's Bohus class. For anyone who loves the historical side of fiber crafting.
Ann Johnson Davis
Jul 16, 2008 Ann Johnson Davis rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting-books
I drool over this book on a regular basis, but have yet to knit one of the projects. Perhaps when I retire and live in Hawaii I will have time to knit my Bohus sweater.
Amberjean
Nice overview of the history of Bohus Stickning, including some excellent vintage photos. The pattern recreations have been modernized in fit and gauge.
Lynda
Lynda rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2008
Laura Thomas Boren
Laura Thomas Boren rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2015
Joy
Joy rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2009
Betsy
Betsy rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2010
Dana
Dana rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015
Kira
Kira rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2011
Leah
Leah rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2014
Sheri
Sheri rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
Toffeesmum
Toffeesmum rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Linda Lamar
Linda Lamar rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2016
Gillian
Gillian rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2008
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2014
Aliasknitter
Aliasknitter rated it really liked it
May 03, 2010
monica ann rozakis
monica ann rozakis rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Lily
Lily rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2016
Hez
Hez rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2016
Elizabeth Brown
Elizabeth Brown rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2011