Start by marking “Cables Untangled: An Exploration of Cable Knitting” as Want to Read:
Cables Untangled: An Exploration of Cable Knitting

Cables Untangled: An Exploration of Cable Knitting

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Beautiful, intricate, flowing, mysterious, iconic—cable knit sweaters are all that and more. They are classic, stylish wardrobe staples. For many of us, cables are the main reason we were compelled to learn to knit in the first place. But it’s necessary to be an ultra-advanced knitter to even think about knitting cables, right?

Not really. In Cables Untangled, widely publis
Published October 24th 2006 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Cables Untangled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cables Untangled

Liz
Aug 27, 2008 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Knitters!
Shelves: knitting
This is not the type of knitting book I typically go for but I love it! Not only does hit have some beautiful patterns, it also has a stitch dictionary in the back. Before this book I balked at "charted" patterns and cables in general, but now I'm cabling all the time and have a hard time with patterns that aren't in charts.

And a note to all who might be interested: The beginners scarf and hat set that is shown in the book in pink cashmere (if you find and buy the yarn its $290 min) works out be
Matthew Gatheringwater
Oct 26, 2007 Matthew Gatheringwater rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: intermediate knitters
Shelves: knitting
This big, pretty coffee table kind of knitting book really is pretty. The lovely models frolic at a fun fair at the seaside in beautiful cabled sweaters (and one dog of an electric blue poncho). What makes for a good coffee table book, however, isn't so practical when one is trying to actually knit. Those big, glossy pages, for example, make the patterns hard to read. A big book doesn't travel well and it is hard to prop open while one is knitting. (That is why I typically photocopy the pattern ...more
Lobstergirl
Sep 27, 2011 Lobstergirl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pat Nixon
Shelves: reference
The very first sweater I made was going to be all stockinette stitch, but by the time I got to the front, I was so bored I had to put in a big ole cable. Even though I didn't know how to do a cable, I wanted one there. So I bought a cable needle and I slipped stitches onto it, and held them in the front....then in the back...then in the front....then in the back. As cable knitters know, this produces an ugly-ass cable: it is precisely the wrong way to cable. Lesson learned!

This would be a good b
Jennifer Riley
I use this book during all of my cable classes. It is so easy to come up with swatches from the cable samples in the back, fantastic book!
Janet
Aug 18, 2008 Janet rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters and knitters-to-be
Recommended to Janet by: Twisted Yarns
From the book flap:

Here's the book that will bring your knitting to a whole new level, help you impress family and friends with your beautiful creations, and open up a new world of creative opportunities.

This is an excellent book -- there are projects and patterns for every skill level and clearly-written charts and instructions. It includes not only patterns, but other excellent resources - e.g. a cable stitch pattern dictionary and tips for designing your own projects. This is probably my fav
Carrie
I prefer the second book about cables by this author, Continuous Cables: An Exploration of Knitted Cabled Knots, Rings, Swirls, and Curlicues, to this one. The projects in this book have large, chunky cables that are probably great for someone who is just starting with cables, but they are a bit busy for my taste.
Amanda
The patterns seem to be pretty much basic to me. As a new knitter curious about cables, Melissa does a wonderful job with pics chosen. But I was very dissapointed in the fact that the patterns were not given specific names. If I want to find that pattern elsewhere, I can't just look it up, I have to physically look at every single pattern pic out there before I find the right one. But, having the book, why would you have to look elsewhere?
Jacey
May 13, 2010 Jacey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters with plenty of time on their hands
Shelves: knitting, non-fiction
The patterns are beautiful, the cable stitch pattern collection in the index is a great reference (if you don't already own a BW Treausry of Stitch Patterns or a Vogue Stitchionary). There wasn't a single pattern that I felt I had the patience to complete, though. Cables take forever (even without a needle), and I had to admit to myself that there was really no chance of me investing enough time to complete any of the lovely patterns.
Ryan
Currently making the sampler afghan that's on the cover, but I actually want to make about 4 other designs from the book. They've got great, very accessible projects that are good if you're hankering for a more labor-intensive design than just another scarf. And the instructions are very simple and easy to understand - it takes the mystery out of cabling.
Gina
wow! I didn't even realize how many types of cables existed! Beautifully done. I'm learning how to read the chart patterns so I can start trying to knit different cables. Knitting is such a great challenge, both mentally and in patience-building.
Terri
I've read some of this, and the patterns look pretty good, but I haven't made anything from it yet. The first sweater I ever made was from a Melissa Leapman pattern, and her instructions were very easy to follow.
Alicyn
good illustrations of lots of techniques
unique cable patterns for pillows, afghans
two-color pillow (narrow stripes, cables)
celtic knots
reversible cable scarf
cute small bag
includes big pattern dictionary
Jen
Love this book - it has a huge cable dictionary in the back and some beautiful patterns to go with it. I like three of the sweater patterns and will be trying the Cotton Raglan pattern this spring.
Elizabeth
A good explanation of how to knit cables with a great stitch library of cables in the back.

I didn't really love any of the patterns, but there is a cute throw pillow I'm going to try.
Snorkle
An awesome book that I would not mind owning one day, these cable designs were so lovely I felt like abandoning everything to just start knitting something from this book.
Sheila
Very nice cable patterns for items ranging from sweaters to hats to afghans. And a nice basic cable stitchionary.
Jules
Absolutely stunning photographs of complicated cables!
Heywu
Good Reference book for cables
Martine
goood patterns
Haley
Haley added it
Feb 02, 2015
Megann Zeigler
Megann Zeigler marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Gigi Jordan
Gigi Jordan marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Amanda Tikkanen
Amanda Tikkanen marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
  • A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Scarf Style
  • Folk Shawls
  • The Vogue® Knitting Stitchionary Volume Two: Cables: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue® Knitting Magazine
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Victorian Lace Today
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • Knitting Around
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • A Gathering of Lace
  • New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One
  • Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter
Mastering Color Knitting: Simple Instructions for Stranded, Intarsia, and Double Knitting Cool Crochet Continuous Cables: An Exploration of Knitted Cabled Knots, Rings, Swirls, and Curlicues Stashbuster Knits: Tips, Tricks, and 21 Beautiful Projects for Using Your Favorite Leftover Yarn Cozy Crochet: Learn to Make 26 Fun Projects From Fashion to Home Decor