Start by marking “Cables Untangled: An Exploration of Cable Knitting” as Want to Read:
Cables Untangled: An Exploration of Cable Knitting

Cables Untangled: An Exploration of Cable Knitting

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  239 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Beautiful, intricate, flowing, mysterious, iconic—cable knit sweaters are all that and more. They are classic, stylish wardrobe staples. For many of us, cables are the main reason we were compelled to learn to knit in the first place. But it’s necessary to be an ultra-advanced knitter to even think about knitting cables, right?

Not really. In Cables Untangled, widely publis
Published October 24th 2006 by Potter Craft

To ask other readers questions about Cables Untangled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cables Untangled

Liz
Aug 27, 2008 Liz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Knitters!
Shelves: knitting
This is not the type of knitting book I typically go for but I love it! Not only does hit have some beautiful patterns, it also has a stitch dictionary in the back. Before this book I balked at "charted" patterns and cables in general, but now I'm cabling all the time and have a hard time with patterns that aren't in charts.

And a note to all who might be interested: The beginners scarf and hat set that is shown in the book in pink cashmere (if you find and buy the yarn its $290 min) works out be
Matthew Gatheringwater
Oct 26, 2007 Matthew Gatheringwater rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: intermediate knitters
Shelves: knitting
This big, pretty coffee table kind of knitting book really is pretty. The lovely models frolic at a fun fair at the seaside in beautiful cabled sweaters (and one dog of an electric blue poncho). What makes for a good coffee table book, however, isn't so practical when one is trying to actually knit. Those big, glossy pages, for example, make the patterns hard to read. A big book doesn't travel well and it is hard to prop open while one is knitting. (That is why I typically photocopy the pattern ...more
Jen
Feb 19, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arts-crafts
LOVE this book! I've made several items from it, including the blanket on the cover, which is GORGEOUS and one of my favorite things I've ever made :) I'm usually more of a crochet person, but I absolutely love knit cables, and this book is full of beautiful ones!
Lobstergirl
Sep 27, 2011 Lobstergirl rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pat Nixon
Shelves: reference
The very first sweater I made was going to be all stockinette stitch, but by the time I got to the front, I was so bored I had to put in a big ole cable. Even though I didn't know how to do a cable, I wanted one there. So I bought a cable needle and I slipped stitches onto it, and held them in the front....then in the back...then in the front....then in the back. As cable knitters know, this produces an ugly-ass cable: it is precisely the wrong way to cable. Lesson learned!

This would be a good b
J. Riley
Jun 17, 2014 J. Riley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
I use this book during all of my cable classes. It is so easy to come up with swatches from the cable samples in the back, fantastic book!
Mckinley
Aug 12, 2015 Mckinley rated it liked it
Includes stitch patterns. Variety of projects including for children, men and women.
Janet
Aug 18, 2008 Janet rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: knitters and knitters-to-be
Recommended to Janet by: Twisted Yarns
From the book flap:

Here's the book that will bring your knitting to a whole new level, help you impress family and friends with your beautiful creations, and open up a new world of creative opportunities.

This is an excellent book -- there are projects and patterns for every skill level and clearly-written charts and instructions. It includes not only patterns, but other excellent resources - e.g. a cable stitch pattern dictionary and tips for designing your own projects. This is probably my fav
Carrie
Jan 15, 2015 Carrie rated it it was ok
Shelves: knitting
I prefer the second book about cables by this author, Continuous Cables: An Exploration of Knitted Cabled Knots, Rings, Swirls, and Curlicues, to this one. The projects in this book have large, chunky cables that are probably great for someone who is just starting with cables, but they are a bit busy for my taste.
Amanda
Jul 12, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
The patterns seem to be pretty much basic to me. As a new knitter curious about cables, Melissa does a wonderful job with pics chosen. But I was very dissapointed in the fact that the patterns were not given specific names. If I want to find that pattern elsewhere, I can't just look it up, I have to physically look at every single pattern pic out there before I find the right one. But, having the book, why would you have to look elsewhere?
Jacey
May 13, 2010 Jacey rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: knitters with plenty of time on their hands
Shelves: non-fiction, knitting
The patterns are beautiful, the cable stitch pattern collection in the index is a great reference (if you don't already own a BW Treausry of Stitch Patterns or a Vogue Stitchionary). There wasn't a single pattern that I felt I had the patience to complete, though. Cables take forever (even without a needle), and I had to admit to myself that there was really no chance of me investing enough time to complete any of the lovely patterns.
Ryan
Jan 26, 2008 Ryan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Currently making the sampler afghan that's on the cover, but I actually want to make about 4 other designs from the book. They've got great, very accessible projects that are good if you're hankering for a more labor-intensive design than just another scarf. And the instructions are very simple and easy to understand - it takes the mystery out of cabling.
Gina
Jul 11, 2008 Gina rated it really liked it
wow! I didn't even realize how many types of cables existed! Beautifully done. I'm learning how to read the chart patterns so I can start trying to knit different cables. Knitting is such a great challenge, both mentally and in patience-building.
Terri
Jan 21, 2009 Terri rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting, gift
I've read some of this, and the patterns look pretty good, but I haven't made anything from it yet. The first sweater I ever made was from a Melissa Leapman pattern, and her instructions were very easy to follow.
Ali
good illustrations of lots of techniques
unique cable patterns for pillows, afghans
two-color pillow (narrow stripes, cables)
celtic knots
reversible cable scarf
cute small bag
includes big pattern dictionary
Jen
Nov 11, 2009 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Love this book - it has a huge cable dictionary in the back and some beautiful patterns to go with it. I like three of the sweater patterns and will be trying the Cotton Raglan pattern this spring.
Elizabeth
Apr 15, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: feeling-crafty
A good explanation of how to knit cables with a great stitch library of cables in the back.

I didn't really love any of the patterns, but there is a cute throw pillow I'm going to try.
Apr 04, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
An awesome book that I would not mind owning one day, these cable designs were so lovely I felt like abandoning everything to just start knitting something from this book.
Sheila
Sep 04, 2011 Sheila rated it really liked it
Very nice cable patterns for items ranging from sweaters to hats to afghans. And a nice basic cable stitchionary.
Jules
Mar 12, 2012 Jules rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Absolutely stunning photographs of complicated cables!
Heywu
Aug 21, 2010 Martine rated it really liked it
Shelves: knit-and-crochet
goood patterns
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
John Kelly
John Kelly marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Anabel
Anabel added it
May 07, 2016
Anne
Anne added it
May 06, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Porsha
Porsha marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Monica Wesolowski
Monica Wesolowski rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Lace Style
  • A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • The Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume Two: Cables: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • Victorian Lace Today