Start by marking “Shrimp: The Endless Quest for Pink Gold” as Want to Read:
Shrimp: The Endless Quest for Pink Gold

Shrimp: The Endless Quest for Pink Gold

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  13 reviews
The Most Fascinating Food You'll Ever Love The story of shrimp is as delicious as the creatures themselves. Renowned nature writers Jack and Anne Rudloe tell that story with passion, revealing a hidden history that has spanned millennia. You'll discover the human stories and heritage behind centuries of shrimping around the the most remarkable of the world's 4 ...more
Published December 1st 2009 by FT Press (first published August 11th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Shrimp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shrimp

Shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp its myriad uses, the story of America's #1 seafood is nearly bottomless. I read this book for work-related research purposes, but it's actually a great foray into the world of shrimping and fishing for a living. The book focuses mostly on American shrimpers, particularly in the Gulf, and their struggle to make ends meet while stocks dwindle and fertilizer run-off pollutes the oceans. Unfortunately, this is but a small slice of the big picture because ...more
Eric Wright
Jack and Anne Rudloe take the reader on a very readable description about everything related to shrimp. Threaded through their own adventures they educate us on the kinds of shrimp, the history of shrimping, the problems with nets destroying the bottom and catching turtles, the loss of wetlands, the rise of the farm shrimping industry and its devastating effect on US shrimpers and much more. Well written and very enlightening. I needed the background for a fiction story I'm doing with a shrimp b ...more
Aug 16, 2011 Rc rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Rc by:
A detailed first-person account on the adventures, lifestyle, and industry of shrimpers. It is the experience of hearing a widely traveled elder tell you about his life and learned lessons. By the later portion of the book, it broadens into a light exposition on the dynamics and environmental consequences of an international sea farming industry of which shrimping is but one portion. It was refreshing and insightful of a lesser known niche in the world.
Engaging, easy to read narrative that takes the reader from the microscopic (anatomy, different kinds of shrimps) to the large-scale (ecosystem, species conservation, land development, tug-of-war between different but equally important objects). I started with the expectation of learning lots about the little critters, but I ended up with more than that - how the pieces (economic, ecological, biological, political, international) fit together.

The biology of shrimp, the commerce of shrimp, the ecology of shrimp, the taste of shrimp...

It's rather a quiltwork of information, and you had better be interested in shrimp starting out, but the information is quite readably presented. I was hoping for a stronger ethical stance, one way or another, but this book is more about educating than lecturing or emotion-wrenching, which I also appreciate.
Interesting read. Chapters range from somewhat technical discussions of shrimp biology to tales of the shrimping industry to the history of shrimping. Sounds kinda boring described like that, but it's more engaging than you'd think. The book is paced nicely and you skip entire chapters if you're not interested in a particular topic.
This book was more interesting than I thought it would be, but I guess I am a bit of a nerd. It was writting in an engaging style and looked at all aspects of shrimping, from social and economic factors to biology and the environment. It's also made me a bit hungry.
Nov 07, 2011 Dolores added it
Shelves: micro-history
I like a nice micro-history. I would prefer one on botany, but this might satisfy my interests in agricultural industry and maybe a little Louisiana history. However, I hope it doesn't reveal any yucky secrets because I would hate to stop eating shrimps.
An interesting look at shrimp -- their biology, what it takes to catch them, shrimp farming, and ecological/political issues surrounding them. About the only thing missing is the buffet!
Elliott Bäck
Informative, especially if you don't know about the Shrimp industry in the US. Also, appreciate the sustainability focus.
While this was interesting, about half way through I thought TMI and gave it up. Sure made me want to cook some, tho!
This book answers many questions for the shrimp-curious, from shrimp history to shrimp sustainability.
Short read for anyone interested in the shrimp fishery in the Gulf of Mexico.
Maureen C. Berry
Maureen C. Berry is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2015
J.E. Clymer
J.E. Clymer marked it as to-read
May 28, 2015
Janis Ian
Janis Ian marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Rea is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2015
Kat marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Natalie marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015