Dreaming of America: An Ellis Island story

Dreaming of America: An Ellis Island story

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A Caldecott award-winning author tells the inspiring true story of the first Ellis Island immigrant, fifteen-year-old Annie Moore.
Published March 15th 2001 by Troll Communications (first published December 31st 1999)

Annie Moore and her two brothers sailed the SS Nevada from Ireland to New York and were the first immigrants to be processed through Ellis Island in 1892. This book tells the story of them traveling across the ocean to meet their parents in America. The voyage was difficult and they had many fears but they made it. This is a longer picture book for grades 3-6. I like the combination of illustrations and actual photographs to tell the story. I think this story would be good to get students thinki...more
Matthew
The copy I read was falling apart, but it didn't diminish how well this book was made at all. The writing is so attentive to detail, I felt like I was there with her. Having had family that came to America in much the same way that this trio did, it was especially personal. I really enjoyed the story with the anecdotes and artifacts interspersed throughout. I was really impressed with every aspect of this book. I highly recommend it, especially in connection with a unit on U.S. immigration.
Mary Valerio
Annie Moore is leaving Ireland with her two young brothers, to meet their parents who have been in America for three years and are finally sending for them. She is afraid but must be brave for her brothers. They have a hard journey across the ocean, but are looked after by a kind man from Russia. They land in America on her 15th birthday. She is the first to step off the boat and beomes the first immigrant to be registered in the new processing center on Ellis Island. For her birthday she reciev...more
Patricia
This is the story or a fifteen year old girl who travels to America with her two younger brothers to meet their parents. Their parents left Ireland three years earlier for a better life and the children remained in Ireland with their aunt and uncle. Actual photographs with captions help the reader to relate to the actual historical events. Annie, the main character, is befriended by an elderly man who looks after the children on their voyage to America. We see a glimpse of life aboard one of the...more
Kristen Lindsay
The book is an interesting read, appropriate for grades 3-5.The book can be used for an integrated lesson with ELA and history/social studies
The book is also great for introducing topics of immigration and American history
* Students can create journal entries, pretending that they are immigrants that have arrived to Ellis Island. What is happening? What are their thoughts and feelings? I feel that students can use this book to express their thoughts on immigration as well as experiences
Julie Suzanne
Apr 25, 2009 Julie Suzanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in Irish heritage or immigration
I didn't realize until the end what historically significant person this protagonist was! Annie Moore-the "first immigrant to enter the United States through Ellis Island." My son and I recently read a little about this in a page from S is for Shamrock, and this version brings her story alive.

Full of symbolism, voice, dialect, and warm, lovable characters, this would be a great book for the classroom for a unit on immigration or Irish culture. Refers briefly to the "wake" in which she participat...more
Ahmed El masry
Apr 07, 2014 Ahmed El masry marked it as to-read
Lorie
Annie Moore leaves Ireland with her younger brothers to be reunited with their parents in America. This true story is fictionalized to depict their trials and tribulations aboard an immigrant ship to America in the late 1800’s. Students could write their own journal as the main character to show how she endured the journey.
Brianna
Grade Levels: 3-5
* Can be used for an integrated lesson with ELA and history/social studies
* Great for introducing topics of immigration and American history
Padmashree Rajagopalan
Apr 08, 2013 Padmashree Rajagopalan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Padmashree by: Shaeley Santiago
I found this book pretty interesting because it tells about the first immigrant to the Ellis Island, a fifteen year old Annie Moore. I was interested because I'm new to the US too, as Annie and her 2 brothers were. It's just about how they'll meet the parents back!@!

Read it to your kids..!
Bonnie Pohlig
This would be an excellent book to read to students because it tells the story of the first immigrant to ever be processed through Ellis Island. It helps give them an idea of what it might have been like to come over on a ship and start a new life. The pictures are lovely.
Shuntia Williams
This story tells the story of Annie Moore. Annie Moore was the first immigrant to be processed in Ellis Island. This book would be a good introduction for discussing immigration.
Finny
Mommy says: Puts the immigrant story in a meaningful perspective for a kid by telling about three children leaving Ireland to meet their parents in America at Ellis Island.
Samantha
This book had great pictures. An older sister and her younger brothers set out alone to meet their parents in America. A historical book that brings history to life.
Rachel
really wish there was a better, less juvenile looking cover to this book. story is great...about first immigrant thru ellis island. true story
Natalie
Story of the first immigrant to be processed through Ellis Island (January 1, 1892).
LeeAnn G
Nice book for learning about those who came here and went through Ellis Island.
Leah
Leah added it
Jul 14, 2014
Jessica Potter
Jessica Potter marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Stacy Shaffer
Stacy Shaffer marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Amanda Young
Amanda Young marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Danielle Wheeler
Danielle Wheeler marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Megan L.
Megan L. marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
A
A added it
Jan 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
19126
Eve Bunting is an author with more than 250 books. Her books are diverse in age groups, from picture books to chapter books, and topic, ranging from Thanksgiving to riots in Los Angeles. Eve Bunting has won several awards for her works.

Bunting went to school in Ireland and grew up with storytelling. In Ireland, “There used to be Shanachies… the shanachie was a storyteller who went from house to ho...more
More about Eve Bunting...
Smoky Night Fly Away Home The Wall S.O.S. Titanic Flower Garden