Start by marking “Music Lust: Recommended Listening for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason” as Want to Read:
Music Lust: Recommended Listening for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason

Music Lust: Recommended Listening for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason

The MP3 and iPod revolution have changed forever how people listen to music, but choosing what to listen to next remains the dilemma of music lovers everywhere. As music director of KCRW in Santa Monica, CA, and DJ of the influential “Morning Becomes Eclectic” show, Harcourt uncovers the best in new and overlooked music for over half a million listeners every day. In Music ...more
Published August 15th 2005 by Sasquatch Books

To ask other readers questions about Music Lust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Music Lust

Erin
Aug 30, 2009 Erin rated it it was ok
This book is a cursory analysis of many many music genres. While I appreciated the coverage of categories like "cowboy songs" and "rock soundtracks" there isn't a need to discuss "bands from iceland" or "bands named after food" in depth. If someone were going on a game show this book would be a perfect way to study all sorts of popular music though.
Ben
Jun 07, 2007 Ben rated it did not like it
As if the infestation of "list" cover features that have replaced music journalism in the past few years isn't bad enough, now we have L.A.'s arbiter of "good taste" giving us, the listening/reading public, a slice of his musical world. What we get is the most boring and predictable list of music choices imaginable. You know those Columbia House CD Club blow-in cards that used to be in music magazines? Harcourt's lists read like one of those. Seriously. When I first picked up (lifted up, not bou ...more
Becca
Jun 17, 2014 Becca rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Anyone who has never heard of huge worldwide bands, Pandora, Spotify, Napster, or the Radio
This was a waste of paper. There was nothing original in here at all aside from some Native American and Japanese artists. The categories were overly predictable. I was expecting something like "If you like Led Zeppelin, try this band you may never have heard of" or maybe "If you're feeling angry or romantic or lonely or unpredictable, then listen to this". Instead it was mostly "Top 10 Beatles Songs", "Jazz Vocalists: The Ladies" and "Jazz Vocalists: The Men" with only the occasional list that ...more
Marjanne
Jul 03, 2007 Marjanne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in expanding their musical horizons
This book is basically a brief history for several music genres and artists. It is also a book of lists, recommending albums, artists, etc. in a variety of music genres. If you are interested in music in general, you will like the different areas and artists discussed, as well as it may give you good leads on albums and artists. I agreed with some of the authors recommendations, however I have checked out a couple of the bands he noted and was a bit disappointed. Though there are probably as man ...more
Gus Sanchez
Nov 23, 2010 Gus Sanchez rated it it was ok
Shelves: music
Terrible disappointing and somewhat trivial compilation. Definitely written in mind for the musically clueless. I mean, if you need an introduction to the Beatles or Miles Davis, then this book is written specifically for you. For serious, dedicated music lovers, Music Lust isn't lusty whatsoever.

Skip it, you probably already know the syllabus by now. Assuming you do know who Fela Kuti and Serge Gainsbourg are. Right?
Jansie
Jul 16, 2007 Jansie rated it did not like it
This was not what I expected at all. This was basically a book full of one or two page 'essays' on a particular style of music or band or singer. The title is misleading, as he recommends everything in the book---without consideration to mood, moment or reason. If you are an eclectic music fan you will know practically everything in this book anyway. If you are a newbie to certain genres then it could be helpful as a starting point...but so is the internet. Very disappointing.
Kurt
Jan 30, 2008 Kurt rated it liked it
The best sections of this book are Nic's autobiographical reminisces, but the "listener's guide" format doesn't suit his personality or style. I would love to read a full autobiography by Nic, as he's had an interesting life and is a terrific guy. He must be, to get all these difficult/antisocial musicians to not only play on his show, but talk comfortably in interview segments.
Michelle
Jul 01, 2007 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is what I'd call the ultimate music primer. If you're looking to expand your horizons or just want a brief history on what you already know, this book covers it all. I think I ended up listing 10 different albums I want to buy--and that was just after skimming it the first time through! Pretty much every genre is covered, including genres I didn't know had a specific name to their genre.
Ash Crowe
Feb 12, 2008 Ash Crowe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
This book needs a warning label. Reading this book will make your list of music to buy go up by 20 or 50 albums. I wish Harcourt would have covered some of the subjects in more detail but the range of music covered is exceptional and my wish list of music has gone up two fold.
Rachel Terry
Mar 04, 2012 Rachel Terry rated it it was ok
Shelves: music
I was hoping for a bunch of new ideas for my Grooveshark lists, but this wasn't really helpful. It's sort of like 250 pages of sparsely elucidating lists.
Jeff
Jan 14, 2009 Jeff is currently reading it
Shelves: music
Nic Harcourt has is a definitive authority on a broad spectrum of music. I love his radio show and I love this easy-to-read book of lists and essays on music genres.
Lyn
Feb 12, 2008 Lyn rated it it was amazing
A good reference guide for someone who doesn't know a lot about music history. There are some great recommendations in here. Plus the author is the legendary radio DJ/programmer at KCRW.
Dan
Jul 12, 2008 Dan rated it really liked it
A nice guide to popular music from the past hundred years or so. An easy read with lots of good recommendations.
Gregg
Aug 08, 2007 Gregg rated it it was amazing
Great book by the brilliant Nik Harcourt of KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic, the best music channel in the U.S.
Bea
Bea rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2008
Gerald Kubicki
Gerald Kubicki rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Sam
Sam rated it it was ok
Jun 18, 2008
Jeff
Jeff rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2009
Seth Thomas
Seth Thomas rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2009
Ryon
Ryon rated it it was ok
Oct 31, 2015
Danny Matson
Danny Matson rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2013
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2010
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Raymond
Raymond rated it it was ok
Jan 30, 2008
Kerry Foley
Kerry Foley rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Kyle
Kyle rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Pitchfork 500: Our Guide to the Greatest Songs From Punk to the Present
  • The Rock Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Rockological Knowledge
  • Bubblegum Music is the Naked Truth: The Dark History of Prepubescent Pop, from the Banana Splits to Britney Spears
  • Remarks: The Story of "R.E.M."
  • The Heart Of Rock & Soul: The 1001 Greatest Singles Ever Made
  • Modern Recording Techniques
  • U2 Show
  • More Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason
  • 1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die (1,000... Before You Die Books)
  • Listverse.com's Ultimate Book of Bizarre Lists: Fascinating Facts and Shocking Trivia on Movies, Music, Crime, Celebrities, History, and More
  • Ripped: How the Wired Generation Revolutionized Music
  • How Musical Is Man?
  • The Music Instinct: How Music Works and Why We Can't Do Without It
  • How Do They Do That?
  • Why Do Dogs Have Wet Noses?
  • The NPR Guide to Building a Classical CD Collection: The 350 Essential Works