Start by marking “Music Lust: Recommended Listening for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason” as Want to Read:
Music Lust: Recommended Listening for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason

Music Lust: Recommended Listening for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The MP3 and iPod revolution have changed forever how people listen to music, but choosing what to listen to next remains the dilemma of music lovers everywhere. As music director of KCRW in Santa Monica, CA, and DJ of the influential “Morning Becomes Eclectic” show, Harcourt uncovers the best in new and overlooked music for over half a million listeners every day. In Music ...more
Published August 15th 2005 by Sasquatch Books

To ask other readers questions about Music Lust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Music Lust

Erin
This book is a cursory analysis of many many music genres. While I appreciated the coverage of categories like "cowboy songs" and "rock soundtracks" there isn't a need to discuss "bands from iceland" or "bands named after food" in depth. If someone were going on a game show this book would be a perfect way to study all sorts of popular music though.
Becca
Jun 17, 2014 Becca rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who has never heard of huge worldwide bands, Pandora, Spotify, Napster, or the Radio
This was a waste of paper. There was nothing original in here at all aside from some Native American and Japanese artists. The categories were overly predictable. I was expecting something like "If you like Led Zeppelin, try this band you may never have heard of" or maybe "If you're feeling angry or romantic or lonely or unpredictable, then listen to this". Instead it was mostly "Top 10 Beatles Songs", "Jazz Vocalists: The Ladies" and "Jazz Vocalists: The Men" with only the occasional list that ...more
Ben
As if the infestation of "list" cover features that have replaced music journalism in the past few years isn't bad enough, now we have L.A.'s arbiter of "good taste" giving us, the listening/reading public, a slice of his musical world. What we get is the most boring and predictable list of music choices imaginable. You know those Columbia House CD Club blow-in cards that used to be in music magazines? Harcourt's lists read like one of those. Seriously. When I first picked up (lifted up, not bou ...more
Marjanne
Jul 03, 2007 Marjanne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in expanding their musical horizons
This book is basically a brief history for several music genres and artists. It is also a book of lists, recommending albums, artists, etc. in a variety of music genres. If you are interested in music in general, you will like the different areas and artists discussed, as well as it may give you good leads on albums and artists. I agreed with some of the authors recommendations, however I have checked out a couple of the bands he noted and was a bit disappointed. Though there are probably as man ...more
Jansie
This was not what I expected at all. This was basically a book full of one or two page 'essays' on a particular style of music or band or singer. The title is misleading, as he recommends everything in the book---without consideration to mood, moment or reason. If you are an eclectic music fan you will know practically everything in this book anyway. If you are a newbie to certain genres then it could be helpful as a starting point...but so is the internet. Very disappointing.
Gus Sanchez
Terrible disappointing and somewhat trivial compilation. Definitely written in mind for the musically clueless. I mean, if you need an introduction to the Beatles or Miles Davis, then this book is written specifically for you. For serious, dedicated music lovers, Music Lust isn't lusty whatsoever.

Skip it, you probably already know the syllabus by now. Assuming you do know who Fela Kuti and Serge Gainsbourg are. Right?
Michelle
This is what I'd call the ultimate music primer. If you're looking to expand your horizons or just want a brief history on what you already know, this book covers it all. I think I ended up listing 10 different albums I want to buy--and that was just after skimming it the first time through! Pretty much every genre is covered, including genres I didn't know had a specific name to their genre.
Kurt
The best sections of this book are Nic's autobiographical reminisces, but the "listener's guide" format doesn't suit his personality or style. I would love to read a full autobiography by Nic, as he's had an interesting life and is a terrific guy. He must be, to get all these difficult/antisocial musicians to not only play on his show, but talk comfortably in interview segments.
Ash Crowe
This book needs a warning label. Reading this book will make your list of music to buy go up by 20 or 50 albums. I wish Harcourt would have covered some of the subjects in more detail but the range of music covered is exceptional and my wish list of music has gone up two fold.
Lyn
A good reference guide for someone who doesn't know a lot about music history. There are some great recommendations in here. Plus the author is the legendary radio DJ/programmer at KCRW.
Jeff
Jan 14, 2009 Jeff is currently reading it
Shelves: music
Nic Harcourt has is a definitive authority on a broad spectrum of music. I love his radio show and I love this easy-to-read book of lists and essays on music genres.
Rachel Terry
I was hoping for a bunch of new ideas for my Grooveshark lists, but this wasn't really helpful. It's sort of like 250 pages of sparsely elucidating lists.
Dan
A nice guide to popular music from the past hundred years or so. An easy read with lots of good recommendations.
Gregg
Great book by the brilliant Nik Harcourt of KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic, the best music channel in the U.S.
Julie
I (heart) Nic Harcourt
Yuliana
Loved this book.
Nduduzo
Nduduzo marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Ginnie Grant
Ginnie Grant marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Shelby Lynn
Shelby Lynn marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Rachel W.
Rachel W. marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Maryanne Tran
Maryanne Tran marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Goldie
Goldie marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Tess
Tess marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Melinda Waugh
Melinda Waugh is currently reading it
Mar 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Pitchfork 500: Our Guide to the Greatest Songs From Punk to the Present
  • The Rock Snob's Dictionary: An Essential Lexicon of Rockological Knowledge
  • Listverse.com's Ultimate Book of Bizarre Lists: Fascinating Facts and Shocking Trivia on Movies, Music, Crime, Celebrities, History, and More
  • Remarks: The Story of "R.E.M."
  • The Heart Of Rock & Soul: The 1001 Greatest Singles Ever Made
  • 1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die
  • The Music Instinct: How Music Works and Why We Can't Do Without It
  • U2 Show
  • More Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason
  • Ripped: How the Wired Generation Revolutionized Music
  • U2: Into the Heart: The Stories Behind Every Song
  • Modern Recording Techniques
  • Bubblegum Music is the Naked Truth: The Dark History of Prepubescent Pop, from the Banana Splits to Britney Spears
  • The Fundamentals of Typography
  • Kill Your Idols: A New Generation of Rock Writers Reconsiders the Classics
  • Love Rock Revolution: K Records and the Rise of Independent Music
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • Is Tiny Dancer Really Elton's Little John?: Music's Most Enduring Mysteries, Myths, and Rumors Revealed
Music Lust