Start by marking “Flabbergasted” as Want to Read:
Flabbergasted

Flabbergasted (Flabbergasted #1)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  1,339 ratings  ·  167 reviews
Ray Blackston's novel will tickle your literary taste buds with a relational gumbo of quirky characters, stirred by the irreverent but sincere Jay Jarvis.

Jay is new in town, young and successful, and not afraid to plop down in a pew to scope out the females. What he finds is a lovely-yet-unusual missionary with a warped sense of humor and a wicked throwing arm. She and a w

Published June 1st 2004 by Revell (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Flabbergasted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flabbergasted

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta JacksonAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversThe Master's Plan A Novel About Purpose by Stephany Tullis
Christian Chick Lit
160th out of 422 books — 431 voters
The Master's Plan A Novel About Purpose by Stephany TullisLeaper by Geoffrey  WoodThe God Cookie by Geoffrey  WoodThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisThe Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
Must Read Christian Fiction
60th out of 160 books — 213 voters

More lists with this book...

Chelsea
To defend why I picked this up off the random fiction shelf, look at the cover. What book could possibly look more fun and inviting? Then after reading the summary, I thought, why not? I always think that mormons have the corner on strange, inside cultural idiosyncrasies...so I wanted to see what other religions had that could compare. Anyway, it started off okay...really, their "singles retreat" was exactly like our Single Adult outings in college. Some people were there only to hook up, others ...more
Keiki Hendrix
Loved this book. I am from Greenville, South Carolina and loved the references to my own town. This is an hilarious book that will have you laughing through every page. And the most appealing part of this book is faith factor.

A must read.
Joan
I can't rate this book. It wasn't anything like I expected and I really dislike 'churchy-preachy' novels. There seemed to be very little tension in the story and in the end I stopped reading. Just not my sort of thing.
Cathy
I absolutely loved this book. It's about single life in the southern churches. Fabulously entertaining. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a good read.
Valerie
Flabbergasted, by Ray Blackston, is a breath of fresh air. I laughed and laughed. It's not often that I give 5 stars, but this one gets my 5 stars fair and square. Also it's not often I mail a book to someone, but I've got just the friend to mail this one to.

Jay is a young professional man recently relocated to South Carolina. To meet girls, he checks out the Presbyterian church and ends up on a singles trip. Packed with hilarity, Jay narrates the events, his spiritual questions, his observatio
Jo
I do not normally read Christian fiction as I normally find it very lame and pushing an agenda. However, I accidentally started this book and quite enjoyed it. It was a light hearted, easy to read story.
Melody
Being a lover of stories, I am often known to push through several chapters of a slow read in order to unearth a gem of a book. Pushing through this one, however, lasted far more than several chapters and proved to be much harder than I thought it would. I think the only thing that kept me actually continuing through to the end was the mystery of the main character's love interest and my own wanting to see the story resolve in some pleasant ending. I suppose it did after all, but it took me so l ...more
Teena Stewart
BOOK REVIEW: FLABBERGASTED BY RAY BLACKSTON

From the moment I started this book by Ray Blackston I couldn’t put it down. I can’t attribute it to one particular thing but to a gift of combined talents that hooked me. These include his superb writing, keen observations, ability for humor, and a unique story telling style, all from a single man’s perspective.

The main character, Jay, an investment broker is single, new in town, and has recently broken up with his girlfriend. Though he’s not necessar
Stan
I found this one free for Kindle, so thought, "Why not!"

And, I read every word. I get irked by people who skim a book and then write a review. That said, let me tell you what I thought.

The idea of the book intrigued me quite a bit, in large part because I grew up in church and also live in South America. I think the author had quite a sense of humor with the whole Single's Class - especially the spreadsheet ranking the local church single's groups! I think the author did a great job relating wha
Ap
I think I've decided that I like female authors better than male authors when it comes to fiction. This book was ok, but listening to the romantic details from a man's point of view left me blah and wishing for more. I guess the word "details" is not the right word! But the part I did like was how he slowly came to accept Christ. That part of the story was very realistic and took the whole book to unfold.
Shenek
Free on Kindle.
I admit I didn't read every word... I wanted to read this because the last section of the book takes part in Ecuador. The two main characters are there doing missionary service and since that's where I did my missionary service I was intrigued and I did read everything in that part of the book. There weren't any colossal mistakes about Ecuador. The main character did mention the conversion rate but it was stated in a joking way so maybe I should give that the benefit of the doubt.
Miranda Agee
Due to it being summer and the interruptions of vacations, kids no longer being confined by the restraints of the time-honored tradition of school, and, most importantly, that pesky time-sucking habit called 'sleep', it took me much longer than my normal 48 hour max to read and review this book, yet, even through numerous breaks in concentrated reading, I found this novel relatively easy to follow. The all-over-the-place, simile-lovin', comma-kaziing main character's POV was charming, witty, ref ...more
Rob
This was a comical, enjoyable book! This is not the typical kind of book I find myself reading, but I really enjoyed it nonetheless. I like the characters Blackston created and loved the location! As a current resident of Greenville, SC and a son of South Carolina, the setting quickly grabbed my attention. The author did a great job of using humor and real life to share the gospel. Blackston does not make Christians out to be perfect people who do all things for the right reasons at the right ti ...more
Erin
I'll never forget the day in June 2004 in Pryor, OK, when I brought this book home from the library by accident. By accident. Look at that bright cover! I don't know how it was possible that I took it off the shelf, walked it up to the desk to check out, brought it out to the car, and drove it all the way home before I realized which book it was. I had thought I picked up the Terri Blackstock novel next to it. But home was 15 miles away from the library and I had no reason to go back and exchang ...more
Jacy Brie
Sue
Even though this was not my 'cup of tea', it was a book I still finished. I can't seem to rate it, though. If I had been raised going to church, I might have found it more inspiring. For me it was not. I liked the characters okay but none of them really touched my heart or made me feel connected to them or their story. SO, no idea how to rate a book that I really didn't enjoy...it's not the authors' fault I didn't like the premise of the book - so you can read it and determine its' rating based ...more
Michael Baylosis
The sarcastic voice of the narrator really had me laughing. As the blurb states, it is indeed a male version of Bridget Jones and I did have a good time reading the novel.

It is rather quite surprising though because in the end you just have to realize that this is not like any other romantic comedy you see on bookstores and shelves. It is a journey of a stockbroker through life - finding and discovering meaning and purpose despite of overwhelming opportunities (a 6-figure job in Manhattan, how'
Wilma Reiber
This book is written in a very entertaining style. Sometimes,I could have done with fewer metaphors, but it was an entertaining and - at the same time - thought provoking read.
Even though I guessed early on in which direction the plot was going, the end was not completely what I expected.
I am usually not too much interested in the core subject (church, missionary), but I still enjoyed this story.
Betty
I read this because it was a free Kindle book and was surprised that I enjoyed it so much. It's been a while since I found myself laughing out loud while reading. It's a quick read but I didn't skim - read it all. A fun story line in the beginning but i especially enjoyed the Ecuadorian sections and wished for more. The characters are delightful. The main character's faith journey interesting.
Michelle
I enjoyed this book of a man's journey of self discovery and spiritual growth. He moves to a small town in South Carolina and starts going to church for the "singles" class to meet women. He finds God along the way. I'd have given it 5 stars but the ending was too abrupt. It was almost as if the author (or his editor) decided there were enough pages so "quick, end the story".
Beth
Oct 25, 2014 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I loved this book. It's humorous, entertaining, and well-written. It has romance but it's not overly romantic. It has religious aspects but it's not overly religious. I like that the book is written from a man's point of view but there are some very specific conversations between women that women would definitely have. The book seems realistic despite being fiction.
Stephanie
I could find interesting story lines in this book but the premise was awkward and the ending was flat. I struggled to find the protagonist's goal in the story and never found one. Also there were a few places where the point-of-view character said/thought something that brought me out of the story i.e. the male POV refers to Barry Manilow's song Copacabana.

NICOLE NEGLIA
FLABBERGASTED!

FLABBERGASTED!

I used to read so called religious books when I thought I was going to be a missionary (nun).
Wow, though I in a different space in my life, I totally love this book. It's a real feel good book that helped me remember the simplicity of life when one accepts subsistence!!!
Roxie Smith
When I first seen the cover of this book and read the reviews I just knew I had to get it. And I def was not disappointed. There was times I actually laughed out loud cause this book is that funny at times. It also has an amazing story line. I wish there was more books out there like this one. It is truly a great read, I couldn't put it down.
Jennie
I enjoyed this humorous book about a single male searching for love in the singles class at church! Along the way he finds the love of Christ and meets a young lady as well. Anxious to read the next book. I loved that the book took place in South Carolina. They visited myrtle beach, Litchfield and murrel's inlet. Loved the lime green caddy!
Jeffrey
I probably didn't give this book a fair chance but put it down after only a couple of chapters. I would categorize it as a contemporary Christian romance with humorous overtones. However, do people REALLY act/behave like that? Again, I apologize for my peculiar sensibilities because it is probably a great read for most of you. However it was slow, plodding and boring to me.
Jill
This is the first time I believe I have ever read a book from a guy's perspective and you know, I really enjoyed it!!! I can reflect back to those days in my early 20s looking for the "right one." The adventures and characters were awesome. No matter your age, I recommend this book.
Maggie Dory
Enjoyable word vomit.The manic pixie cliche of contemporary romance meets simple Christian fiction in this verbose novel. It takes a while to get used to the author's prosaic word vomit, but the overall writing is not bad at all. I like the simple, non preachy message about faith.
Daniel Keohane
Read this book back in '05, mostly while at the beach for a long weekend - and the beach is such a great place to read this. Genre-wise, it would probably fall under "christian Inspriation" but he spends most of the time mocking the usual christian tropes, it's probably why he hasn't been all that widely read these days - too controversial. (kind of the Larry Norman of authors, if anyone knows what that even means)... but funny. Quick, biting wit, both in the narrative and dialogue, it's about a ...more
Amy
CD/Unabridged/Christian Fiction: I listened to Lost to Rooville about two years ago and I really liked it. I found out about halfway through that it was book 3 of the Jay Jarvis series. I was delighted to find the audio for this (Book 1). This is the story of how Jay moves from TX to SC and finds salvation & peace in his life. Jay starts by trying to find a date in a church singles club. Along the way, he meets a girl who is a South American missionary and has complete peace in her life. Thi ...more
  • Single Sashimi
  • She's Out of Control (Ashley Stockingdale, #2)
  • It Had to Be You
  • A Whisper of Danger (Treasures of the Heart #2)
  • No Dark Valley (The Derby Series #5)
  • Oklahoma Weddings
  • Plague Maker
  • Perfecting Kate
  • Savannah Comes Undone
  • Newlywed Games
  • Zora and Nicky: A Novel in Black and White
  • Rules of Murder (Drew Farthering Mystery #1)
  • Let Them Eat Cake (French Twist #1)
  • The Winds of Sonoma (Regalo Grande #1)
  • Everyday Blessings (The McKaslin Clan: Series 3, #4)
  • The Trouble with Tulip
  • Dreaming in Black & White
  • Dream a Little Dream (Mule Hollow, #4)
A Delirious Summer Lost in Rooville Pagan's Nightmare Par for the Course Last Mango in Texas

“There are potholes on the road less traveled. Some deep, some not so deep, some you dig yourself. Most are filled with mud. Many contain rocks. Once in a while, however, you'll be walking along and step in one a bit more accommodating... shabby, green, and pulsing with life. It'll tickle your feet, like clover.” 7 likes
“Tuesday evening while grilling chicken on” 0 likes