Start by marking “An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew, #7)” as Want to Read:
An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew, #7)

An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew #7)

Believers in the theory of nominalism have set some Cambridge colleges at the throats of those who believe them to be heretics and Michael, the Senior Proctor, has his work cut out to keep the peace. When a nominalist is murdered during a riot Michael is certain he will easily find the killer amongst the Dominicans, but before he can get any sense out of them his junior pr ...more
Published June 6th 2002 by Sphere (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about An Order for Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Order for Death

Philip Cook
Sep 19, 2015 Philip Cook rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I've found a comfort zone with these characters. Their shared banter makes me smile and the period is startlingly vivid.
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 01/06/2002
Author: Susanna Gregory
Recommended for: fans of historical fiction

I love murder mystery novels and I especially love books by the wonderfully talented Susanna Gregory. Matthew Bartholomew is an absolutely lovely character! There isn't a single bad thing I could say about this book. It is a must read for anything fan of murder mystery books.

This book is set in Cambridge, where the junior proctor called Walcote is found hanged. Matthew Bartholomew is following leads which end
Rich
Nov 08, 2014 Rich rated it it was ok
Theosophical differences threaten to (once again) tear apart Cambridge while Matthew and Michael investigate another mysterious murder.

The worst in the series so far. This has all the faults of the previous books and little of their merit. Secondary characters are again too indistinct to stick in the mind (again this is only a problem with the male characters), the identity of whodunnit is blindingly obvious. The book grinds on and on with no momentum - just dullness infusing every page. There i
Anna
Oct 10, 2012 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: medieval
"An Order for Death' could be subtitled "Monks Behaving Badly'...

Seriously, is this what these supposedly godly men were like? The high body count reminded me of an episode of Midsomer Murders; numerous deaths in a pleasant country town... And as for the nuns..

Quite good fun. I liked the main character, Matthew Bartholomew and the way he interacted with his fat, cheerful and energetic friend, Michael. The plot kept me interested even though I struggled with remembering who belonged to which Rel
Kestrell
Jul 22, 2012 Kestrell rated it liked it
This is _The Name of the Rose_ Lite, hwich is not necessarily a bad thing, because there is far less philosophy and a lot more action, plus the blind monk isn't evil, which I found personally gratifying. Most of the characters obviously have no clue what the nominalism-realism debate is about, and whn it does come up, it is given short shrift. I would have liked this otherwise lively story more if there weren't so much time making fat jokes about one of the main characters, and if he hadn't spen ...more
Kristi Thompson
Mar 18, 2009 Kristi Thompson rated it really liked it
A nunnery run as a bawdy house, inter-Order riots over philosophical points, rivalry between Universities spanning plots, conspiracies and murders ... Not a sanitized Middle Ages, the way Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael novels were. I don't know if it goes too far in the other direction...

I like the people though, and the setting. They ring true and three-dimensional in a way Frazer's carefully researched portraits do not.

Wish she'd write a simpler murder though, just to show she can. Something
Margaret
Apr 25, 2014 Margaret rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
This is the second of her books I have read in this series. Both are long and repetitive. The setting, Cambridge in the 1350's, is interesting, as is the raucous bickering among the students and monks. I don't know if all the historical details are correct. Would a man of modest means be fumbling for right and left boots, or were right and left lasts developed centuries later?
Amy Ward
May 05, 2014 Amy Ward rated it liked it
Carmelites and Dominicans begin a physical dispute over the nominalism-realism debate. Faricius is killed after a crush, followed by the death of Kyrkby andJunior Prior Walcote. After a week of investigation, it is found that the new JP Timothy and his friend Janius are working under Prior Lincolne...
Shannon
Jul 20, 2016 Shannon rated it liked it
My least favorite Matthew Bartholomew book so far. Very easy to figure out right in the beginning and much more poorly written. Almost like the author had a deadline so she just wrote really sloppy stuff and it got published. A good editing would have made this book worlds better.
Helen
Aug 03, 2008 Helen added it
Not the sort of book I would normally read but as it contains some historical facts - although somewhat fictionalised in places - I stuck with it to the end. I did work out who the miscreant was but not until almost the end.
Leslie Conner
Aug 02, 2012 Leslie Conner rated it really liked it
I liked this but its a little harder to get through when I'm distracted. Lots of details and names, to hang onto through a long read.
Nov 04, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
nice read with the familiar faces of the past books. looking forward to reading the next one in the series
Georgia Lengyel
Feb 23, 2015 Georgia Lengyel rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, library
Still one of my favorite series. Really hard to believe that the different Orders at Cambridge hated each other so much.
Carole-Ann
I have the June 2002 PB published by Sphere
Mandy anderson
I can't actually say I read this. over 100 pages in and trying to read through it since Sept. I am giving up. bluaghhh
Fay
Fay rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2014
Joacim
Joacim rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Narelle Cassey
Narelle Cassey rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Georgia
Georgia rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2010
Barry
Barry rated it really liked it
May 08, 2015
Amye Quigley
Amye Quigley rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2009
Louise
Louise rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2008
Esther
Esther rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2013
carole brunnock
carole brunnock rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2015
Kim Counts
Kim Counts rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2012
KR Garland
KR Garland rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2013
Sue Riley
Sue Riley rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Mary Beth
Mary Beth rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2014
  • The Anger of God (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #4)
  • Fate and Fortune (Hew Cullan Mystery, #2)
  • The Elixir of Death (Crowner John Mystery #10)
  • The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2)
  • The Sempster's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #15)
  • The Spider's Web (Sister Fidelma, #5)
Susanna Gregory is the pseudonym of Elizabeth Cruwys, a Cambridge academic who was previously a coroner's officer. She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysteries featuring Matthew Bartholomew, a teacher of medicine and investigator of murders in 14th-century Cambridge.

AKA Simon Beaufort

She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysterie
More about Susanna Gregory...

Matthew Bartholomew (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1)
  • An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2)
  • A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3)
  • A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
  • A Masterly Murder (Matthew Bartholomew, #6)
  • A Summer of Discontent (Matthew Bartholomew, #8)
  • A Killer in Winter (Matthew Bartholomew, #9)
  • The Hand of Justice (Matthew Bartholomew, #10)
  • The Mark of a Murderer (Matthew Bartholomew, #11)