Start by marking “An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew, #7)” as Want to Read:
An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew, #7)

An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew #7)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  357 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Believers in the theory of nominalism have set some Cambridge colleges at the throats of those who believe them to be heretics, and Brother Michael, the Senior Proctor, is struggling to keep the peace. When a nominalist is murdered during a riot, Michael is certain he will find the killer among the Dominicans—but before he can act, his junior proctor, Walcote, is found han ...more
Published June 1st 2002 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published June 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about An Order for Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Order for Death

Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Published: 01/06/2002
Author: Susanna Gregory
Recommended for: fans of historical fiction

I love murder mystery novels and I especially love books by the wonderfully talented Susanna Gregory. Matthew Bartholomew is an absolutely lovely character! There isn't a single bad thing I could say about this book. It is a must read for anything fan of murder mystery books.

This book is set in Cambridge, where the junior proctor called Walcote is found hanged. Matthew Bartholomew is following leads which end
Amy
Carmelites and Dominicans begin a physical dispute over the nominalism-realism debate. Faricius is killed after a crush, followed by the death of Kyrkby andJunior Prior Walcote. After a week of investigation, it is found that the new JP Timothy and his friend Janius are working under Prior Lincolne...
Margaret
This is the second of her books I have read in this series. Both are long and repetitive. The setting, Cambridge in the 1350's, is interesting, as is the raucous bickering among the students and monks. I don't know if all the historical details are correct. Would a man of modest means be fumbling for right and left boots, or were right and left lasts developed centuries later?
Kestrell
This is _The Name of the Rose_ Lite, hwich is not necessarily a bad thing, because there is far less philosophy and a lot more action, plus the blind monk isn't evil, which I found personally gratifying. Most of the characters obviously have no clue what the nominalism-realism debate is about, and whn it does come up, it is given short shrift. I would have liked this otherwise lively story more if there weren't so much time making fat jokes about one of the main characters, and if he hadn't spen ...more
Anna
"An Order for Death' could be subtitled "Monks Behaving Badly'...

Seriously, is this what these supposedly godly men were like? The high body count reminded me of an episode of Midsomer Murders; numerous deaths in a pleasant country town... And as for the nuns..

Quite good fun. I liked the main character, Matthew Bartholomew and the way he interacted with his fat, cheerful and energetic friend, Michael. The plot kept me interested even though I struggled with remembering who belonged to which Rel
Georgia Lengyel
Still one of my favorite series. Really hard to believe that the different Orders at Cambridge hated each other so much.
Kristi Thompson
A nunnery run as a bawdy house, inter-Order riots over philosophical points, rivalry between Universities spanning plots, conspiracies and murders ... Not a sanitized Middle Ages, the way Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael novels were. I don't know if it goes too far in the other direction...

I like the people though, and the setting. They ring true and three-dimensional in a way Frazer's carefully researched portraits do not.

Wish she'd write a simpler murder though, just to show she can. Something
Carole-Ann
I have the June 2002 PB published by Sphere
Helen
Aug 03, 2008 Helen added it
Not the sort of book I would normally read but as it contains some historical facts - although somewhat fictionalised in places - I stuck with it to the end. I did work out who the miscreant was but not until almost the end.
Leslie Conner
I liked this but its a little harder to get through when I'm distracted. Lots of details and names, to hang onto through a long read.
nice read with the familiar faces of the past books. looking forward to reading the next one in the series
Lara
Aug 09, 2012 Lara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
13c who-dunnit amongst religious orders in Cambridge.
Heather Williams
Another great Bartholomew mystery !
Gianna
Gianna marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Becky
Becky is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
Evilgrapefruit
Evilgrapefruit marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Quizzyperson
Quizzyperson marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Vicky
Vicky is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Joanna Stelmasiak
Joanna Stelmasiak marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
  • The Anger of God (Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #4)
  • The Witch Hunter (Crowner John Mystery #8)
  • The Sempster's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #15)
  • The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2)
  • Our Lady Of Darkness (Sister Fidelma, #10)
Susanna Gregory is the pseudonym of Elizabeth Cruwys, a Cambridge academic who was previously a coroner's officer. She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysteries featuring Matthew Bartholomew, a teacher of medicine and investigator of murders in 14th-century Cambridge.

AKA Simon Beaufort

She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysterie
More about Susanna Gregory...

Matthew Bartholomew (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1)
  • An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2)
  • A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3)
  • A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
  • A Masterly Murder (Matthew Bartholomew, #6)
  • A Summer of Discontent (Matthew Bartholomew, #8)
  • A Killer in Winter (Matthew Bartholomew, #9)
  • The Hand of Justice (Matthew Bartholomew, #10)
  • The Mark of a Murderer (Matthew Bartholomew, #11)
A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1) An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2) A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4) A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3) A Conspiracy of Violence (Thomas Chaloner, #1)