Start by marking “The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling

The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Now with updated lists of available resource materials and the latest information on homeschooling technology, this manual is your access guide to homeschooling-maximizing family life while providing a quality education for children. With wit and wisdom gleaned from years of experience, Debra Bell sets forth a compelling vision for the joys of home-based learning and the e ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 448 pages
Published April 1st 2005 by Thomas Nelson (first published February 28th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling

Ami
This is probably the best homeschooling book I've read to date (and I've read ALOT). The book is an actual guide through the process of deciding to homeschool, what you need to homeschool, and lesson-planning for homeschool. Debra Bell is the first homeschooling author that has the guts to publish the downside to homeschooling and some of its ugly side effects on the mom.
This book is a very realistic look at homeschooling with great information and tons of additional resources listed. I may act
Julie King
I consider this book to be the Bible of homeschooling. Bell covers everything from standardized tests, curriculum choices, creating transcripts, preventing burnout, support systems, field trips, and even getting homeschoolers admitted into college.
Bell is a Christian and there is a heavy amount of Christian leaning, but you can also skip over those parts if you so choose. I think Bell gives great ideas that can be used by non-traditional homeschoolers who seek out opportunities to provide additi
Libby
I could have sworn I already reviewed this book...

Overall, it was a good resource, BUT I still feel a bit lost and overwhelmed. It sounds like she relied on a local group quite heavily, and I'm not sure there is one here that I want to rely on. I admit, I still have some prejudices about the types of kids who are homeschooled, because most of the ones I knew growing up were... weird. BUT as it becomes more mainstream, I realize there are more normal people taking it on, and it's likely there wil
Debbie Phillips
I stopped reading this book. I finished most of it so I am counting it. In the later chapters on High School and preparing your children for college I started to feel like I was giving my children an inferior education, just because I did not do things her way. There is no balance in this book on the many choices for homeschoolers, like starting your own business after high school. Also she very much recommends outside classes, and even started a homeschool school to avail her kids of other teac ...more
Jen
I have been surprised this year to realize that my tendencies as a public school teacher very much carry over to my homeschool environment. When I was a public school teacher, every year, around Valentine's day, I would hit the wall. I would feel unsuccessful, stressed and burdened down with things that weren't working. The same has proved true this year, even though my teaching platform has moved to my house. In years past, I would look at my current plan, identify what was or wasn't working an ...more
Elaine
This book really covers a lot of ground, from deciding whether or not to homeschool(advantages and challenges), to learning style, curriculum, tips for not getting burnt out, homeschooling teens, guidelines for when to teach things for each subject, lots of recommended resources. It's written from a Christian perspective, but even if the reader is not a Christian, there are a lot of practical tips.
Milka
A good overview of homeschooling and everything it involves, from teaching philosophy, to curriculum preparation, to planning and organizing. The only issue I have with this book is that it should mention the author describes homeschooling from a Christian perspective. While it's easy to skip over those parts, they are there, throughout the book, not grouped in a specific chapter.
Jodi
The most practical down-to-earth book I've read about homeschooling thus far. She doesn't glamorize it or think everyone should do it. It was overwhelming at times, but I think it is because I am just beginning my homeschooling journey. I might have to buy this one as a resource.
Naomi
Many homeschooling books begin with attempts to convince you that you should homeschool. This one has several chapters about making the decision. They outline the pros and cons. The author is even willing to say there are times when homeschooling would be a wrong choice. I appreciate the balance and would recommend it to anyone considering this educational option.
Joselle173
A decent book with loads of references, compilations of useful information on hsing curriculums, etc. and was thankfully written by someone who wasn't out to convince the reader that all homeschoolers never have problems, which was refreshing. I got a lot out of this book, and would recommend it be on any beginner homeschooling family's bookshelf.
Jennifer Daniel
I wish it would tell you on the cover when it is a Christian based homeschool approach. I know a lot of homeschoolers who are Jesus people, but not everyone is! I was looking for fresh ideas on lesson plans, some new ideas etc. not how to save my immortal soul.
Mary
This is truly an Ultimate Guide. It's full of good, doable advice based on experience. It's written in a funny way and not so hard to follow or understand. A must and good read for every homeschooler or any family thinking of homeschooling.
Nancy
This book gave so much information in a variety of areas and was very helpful. I got this from the library and tried taking notes, but realized there was too much to take notes on and that I should buy this book for my library!
Rebecca
I've been skimming this book for a while now. She's very witty, and I enjoy reading things here and there. I haven't been able to just read through it. Maybe because I'm so far from actually homeschooling.
Carrie
Good book, full of common sense information. I got lots of ideas from the book, as well as lots of confirmations that I was choosing the right curriculum, etc--will keep this one as a reference
Melinda
I got this out because it had hs specifics on teaching to different personalities however that chapter was rather uninventive and the rest of the book is too fundamentalist Christian for my taste.
Joy
i learned some things to help with the classrom, like things for special needs students,for success in the classroom, determing your childs learning style.
Emily
Feb 22, 2008 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Even if you don't homeschool, this book is fantastic!! Tons and tons of resources and helps! I've used it now for a few years and just love it!!!
Heidi
LOVE this book, I refer to it a lot. There are some parenting philosophies I don't agree with but on the academic stuff, it's a great resource.
Michelle
This book was excellent--practical, down-to-earth, and got me going in the right direction. Debra Bell is hilarious--an added plus!

Sandy
Known for many years in my house as "the big yellow book" this was my go-to guide when I had questions. Highly recommended.
Karen
A great resource. I really like her definitions of learning styles, different than others out there.
Kathleen
Entertain but informative. Anyone looking to homeschool should have it on their shelf.
Stephanie Scott
One of the most thorough, well-written, how-to books on homeschooling that I have read.
Linda
Love Debra Bell's wit and encouragement. Very readable and lots of great ideas!
Lesley Webster
lots of great information
Kristi Gibb
Kristi Gibb is currently reading it
Mar 26, 2015
Virginia
Virginia marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Kcshrader
Kcshrader marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Educating the Wholehearted Child
  • 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum: Choosing the Right Educational Philosophy for Your Child's Learning Style
  • Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe
  • The Three R's
  • For the Children's Sake
  • A Charlotte Mason Companion: Personal Reflections on the Gentle Art of Learning
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home
  • Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond
  • So You're Thinking About Homeschooling: Fifteen Families Show How You Can Do It
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
  • The Way They Learn
  • The Educated Child: A Parents Guide From Preschool Through Eighth Grade
  • Honey for a Child's Heart: The Imaginative Use of Books in Family Life
  • A Charlotte Mason Education: A Home Schooling How-To Manual
  • Teaching the Trivium: Christian Homeschooling in a Classical Style
  • What Your First Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good First-Grade Education
The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Teens The Ultimate Homeschool Planner The Cannabis Diaries: A Mother's Struggle to Save Her Family