Start by marking “The Hand of Justice (Matthew Bartholomew, #10)” as Want to Read:
The Hand of Justice (Matthew Bartholomew, #10)

The Hand of Justice (Matthew Bartholomew #10)

In Cambridge 1355 the colleges of the fledgling university are as much at odds with each other as they are with the ordinary townfolk. This tension has recently been heightened by the return of two well-born murderers after receiving the King's pardon, showing no remorse but ready to confront those who helped convict them. And in the midst of this Bartholomew the physician ...more
Published May 26th 2005 by Sphere (first published June 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Hand of Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hand of Justice

Jo Chambers
Sep 25, 2016 Jo Chambers rated it really liked it
It is always a pleasure to visit my friends Matthew Bartholomew and Brother Michael who live in medieval Cambridge. I love the banter between the two and the setting in the early years of the university town is so bustling and alive. It is like I have just stepped back in time.
This is the tenth in the series and although I enjoyed it, I did feel this outing was over long and would have benefited from tighter editing. The crime plot was satisfyingly confusing with a large amount of dead bodies!
Sep 14, 2010 Spuddie rated it really liked it
#10 Matthew Bartholomew medieval mystery in which the Cambridge scholar/physician becomes the official Corpse Examiner for the University, specifically for Brother Michael, the senior proctor. More physicians have come to Cambridge, easing the pressure on Matt so he no longer needs to run here and there treating everyone and struggle to do his teaching at Michaelhouse college.

A war is heating up in Cambridge--aside from the usual "town and gown" conflicts, there are rival mills vying for busine
Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic)
Apr 16, 2015 Sophie Narey (Bookreview- aholic) rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Published: 01/06/2005
Author: Susanna Gregory
Recommended for: fans of historical fiction

I love murder mystery novels and I especially love books by the wonderfully talented Susanna Gregory. Matthew Bartholomew is an absolutely lovely character! There isn't a single bad thing I could say about this book. It is a must read for anything fan of murder mystery books. This one is set in Cambridge in 1355, where two well known murderers arrive back in the village ready to find those who got them convict
May 09, 2016 Madge rated it really liked it
Based on historical crime fiction genre: 4/5 stars.
I adore what Susanna Gregory has done in the world of historical crime fiction. Detailed, thorough, comprehensive, and very much in order, without being in overkill drive.
I enjoyed this book so much. It gave me so many chuckles, much laughter, and pleasure.
Mel Fouch
I have enjoyed all the books in this series so far, and usually rate them at three or four stars.

This one gets two because the main characters seem to spend most of their time either announcing everything they've discovered aboutt the central murder mystery to any person they happen to meet, irrespective of whether they may actually be on the suspect list, or sitting around endlessly re-hashing everything they know about the crime and the various suspects.

It doesn't make for a terribly exciting
Jun 28, 2016 William rated it it was ok
This is the tenth book in the series (and the tenth that I have read) and it may well be my last. I find other books in this genre "hard to put down", but I am starting to find these books to be "hard to hold on to". The multitude of characters and the drawn out story lines make reading these books a chore rather than a pleasure. Also, does the author have to make everyone other than the main character somehow evil or antagonistic? Can't Bartholomew have at least one or two "normal" people in hi ...more
Philip Cook
Nov 02, 2015 Philip Cook rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I don't know which makes me smile the most, the repartee shared by Matthew and Michael or the hilarious antics of the choir. Whichever - a thoroughly enjoyable read. On to the next in the series!
Grace Lambie
Apr 20, 2014 Grace Lambie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, mystery
as usual I don't figure out who the killer is .. the reason I love her books so much and this series!!
David Brown
Feb 25, 2016 David Brown rated it really liked it
Continuing a good run of late, this is a complex and confusing tale with multiple murders, plenty of red herrings, personality feuds and medical mishaps to keep you guessing till the very end. More characters are introduced, some are sketched out more and Bartholomew's universe becomes an ever more colourful if not any less dangerous place to be.
May 26, 2009 Pammy rated it really liked it
i enjoyed this book, although it took me a little longer than the other Bartholemew mysteries to get into. Once again, excellent level of historical accuracy, coupled with an intriguing, if sometimes overly complex, plotline. The characters were superbly drawn, as usual. One to read when you fancy a bit of a mental workout!
Feb 16, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
I do love Susanna Gregory's books. The familiar chracters are growing with each book. I loved when Matthew Bartholomew finally works out who the killer is and the added twist at the end. However i have a feeling that Cambridge is just as dangerous as Oxford and Morse!

Dec 11, 2011 Connie rated it liked it
I've enjoyed this entire serious, but this one was not my favorite. The author seemed to go around and around with the same information and repeated clues with no real progress in the story until near the end.
Andy Field
Mar 21, 2013 Andy Field rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Normal tangled plot lines and bafflement for Matthew and Michael followed by dawning realisation. A really good sense of the medieval in this novel.
Jul 31, 2011 Zorah rated it really liked it
I enjoy Susanna Gregory's characters, her plots and the historical tidbits she encorporates into her stories.
Oct 13, 2013 Anietta rated it it was amazing
An addictive series. The atmosphere of medieval Cambridge with it's scholars and townfolk are compelling.
Jul 22, 2012 Bryan rated it it was amazing
Many twists and turns. Keeps you guessing to the very end.
Mary G.
Mar 27, 2011 Mary G. rated it really liked it
Very Good and Interesting look at Cambridge.
Georgia Lengyel
May 12, 2016 Georgia Lengyel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, library
A really great ending.
LauraLindley Roff
LauraLindley Roff rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Elisa Rice
Elisa Rice marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
Malcolm Addison
Malcolm Addison is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2016
Ms Loretta Humphreys
Ms Loretta Humphreys rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Shannon marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Trudy rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2016
Cassie Shorey
Cassie Shorey marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Narelle Cassey
Narelle Cassey rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2016
Sarah Williams
Sarah Williams marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Carol Hardman
Carol Hardman marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
  • The Magician's Death (Hugh Corbett, #14)
  • Our Lady Of Darkness (Sister Fidelma, #10)
  • Hue and Cry (Hew Cullan Mystery, #1)
  • The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2)
  • The Maiden's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #8)
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
Susanna Gregory is the pseudonym of Elizabeth Cruwys, a Cambridge academic who was previously a coroner's officer. She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysteries featuring Matthew Bartholomew, a teacher of medicine and investigator of murders in 14th-century Cambridge.

AKA Simon Beaufort

She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysterie
More about Susanna Gregory...

Matthew Bartholomew (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1)
  • An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2)
  • A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3)
  • A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
  • A Masterly Murder (Matthew Bartholomew, #6)
  • An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew, #7)
  • A Summer of Discontent (Matthew Bartholomew, #8)
  • A Killer in Winter (Matthew Bartholomew, #9)
  • The Mark of a Murderer (Matthew Bartholomew, #11)