A Can of Peas

A Can of Peas (Lake Emily #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  428 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Weaving together the strong threads of family and friends in a pattern of grace, forgiveness, and kindness, A Can of Peas invites readers into a place where every day brings a new story and neighbors are more than just people who live down the road. Sometimes funny and often poignant, these vignettes will draw both men and women into the reassuring rhythms of life as it ou...more
Published July 16th 2002 by WaterBrook Press

Valerie
After the death of his grandfather, Peter Morgan and his bride of six months, Mae, face a life-changing decision: should they embrace the career-chasing ambitions of their family and friends in St. Paul or try and save the family farm in the Minnesota?

With thoughts of living the quiet, serene life and to get away from living with Mae's mother, the Morgans set out to follow in the footsteps of Peter’s grandparents. Soon, they are learning not only how to run a farm, but figuring out how to see ea...more
Kasey
An excellent book that will open your eyes to the troubles and joys of midwest farm life. Learn to have more appreciation for the simple joys in life, right along with Peter and Mae. After all as Leonardo da Vinci said: "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
Diane
Great book!!! I especially enjoyed the sense of history that came with the "flashbacks." I recommend this to anyone that likes a good story where not a lot happens, but it's fascinating anyway - kind of like my life!
jimtown
This is a new author for me. A Can of Peas is the first book in the Lake Emily Series. At Chapter 12, I'm finding her writing smooooooooth and very descriptive. I enjoyed A Can of Peas very, very much. It got four stars only because nothing exciting happened in the story. It was all too pleasant.
The very best part of the story was the excellent descriptions of activities on the farm. All the characters were likeable but it was the addition of Trudie, Mae's sister that was truly a delight in the...more
Donna
Nov 17, 2011 Donna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I really enjoyed this book. It's about a young man named Peter whose grandfather just passed away. He has many fond memories of helping his grandfather on the farm in Minnesota and wonders why his father didn't stay there to take over the farm. He resents his father, who is a musician, for always moving around while he was growing up and for missing his grandfather's funeral. Peter is between jobs and he and his new wife Mae are staying in her parents basement which hasn't been ideal. Mae's mom...more
Kate
Mar 19, 2009 Kate rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Mitford, Harmony, or Elm Creek
Traci Depree's Lake Emily books were recommended to me because I am/was a fan of Jan Karon and Philip Gulley's similar tomes. Traci Depree's novels are another entry into the (I think) relatively newish genre of Christian literature.

I am not a particularly religious person, but I love Philip Gulley's Harmony books above most books I've read in the past 10 years. I find my enthusiasm for the Mitford series has waned, they're a little too preachy. So I find myself approaching Christian fiction wit...more
Angela
This is a memoir-style story-driven overtly Christian fiction book with well-developed characterization and strong sense of rural-Minnesota place. The story starts out somewhat simplisticly though engagingly, and even though I enjoy description in my fiction, I felt it moved a little slowly at the beginning for my taste. It is authentic in its farm knowledge, and a person feels they can learn the workings of a farm and its prodidgious to-do list by learning along with the main character. This wa...more
Jamie
This book made me think of what my mother went through being a Detroit city girl and moving to a farm. It made me smile, laugh, cry... The last scene is so typical of that country living hospitality, it made me sob!

A young couple moves to the husband's grandparents farm to help out after the grandpa passes away. They left the face-pace city life behind along with their ambitious careers. Can they run a successful farm without any knowledge of doing so?

I didn't know this book was a Christian nove...more
Ellie
Come visit Lake Emily, where a charming small town community welcomes newcomers Peter & Mae Morgan into their midst. Share the laughter and tears along with the Morgans, as they struggle to save the family farm and embrace life in a close-knit community so very different from the life they once had in the city. A heart-warming story that leaves you feeling uplifted and thankful for the simple joys in life, appealing to readers of Janette Oke, Jan Karon (Mitford series) Philip Gulley (Harmony...more
Chandler
What a sweet story. Big city girl moves to small town farm country and has to learn to fit in. I loved it. Good clean story with references to God and faith. I love country life and would love to have grown up on a farm and learned all the things that they know about canning, gardening that sort of thing, so this book touched me there. Very sweet characters and I liked the way the author introduced them and the way things happened in their lives who shaped who they are today.
Kris
Oct 16, 2013 Kris rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to read a sappy feel food story with little depth
This story is about a couple who leave life in the city (St Paul, MN) and move to a family farm in western MN. They incounter obstacles & hardships that many farmers face. The author also weaves in stories from the past of many of the other people living in the small farmning community. I feel like the author could have spent more time fleshing out the characters and how they worked through trials. Issues were glazed over & solutions seemed to end with a random "let's pray".
Heidi
Hmmm...this book was a lot of fun. I loved the author's ability to weave the past and present together so that the reader gets a better understanding of the lives of everyone in the book. I loved the characters, the setting, and the faith and hope that underscore the entire storyline.

I would have liked, however, more information and closure with regard to several of the storylines; especially with regard to Mae's sister, Trudy.
Natalie
My grandmother read this at her book club in Asheville, NC and gave it to me when she was done with it. Then I invited my friends who are also in a book club to read it. It was a quaint little story of a city boy who moves to the country to take over the family farm. I was pregnant at the time with David and the man and his wife were expecting their first child. This is the first of a trilogy.
Jessica
I picked up this book from our library's "Gentle Novels" collection and that just about sums it up. It is a nice story about a young married couple that decides to take on a farm. Reading the novel wasn't particularly life changing, but while reading the novel I wanted to move to the country!
Brandy
This book was pretty good. It's a Christian type book which was ok. It wasn't overkill but I did skip when it was too much. The story was interesting though - it was about a city couple that moved and took over a farm. It was very real life and had happiness and sadness in it.
Nancy
Feb 25, 2008 Nancy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Moms everywhere
Recommended to Nancy by: Stephanie Shepherd
I absolutely loved this book! The story line about a young newly married couple taking over the family farm is just charming. I like the way the author introduces the characters in flashback vignettes. It has a suprise ending. I cried during this one!
Trinna
Cute story. 3.5 stars. Simple and sweet telling the story of a young married couple trying to make a go of farming and small town living. Has so cute relationships. Similar to a Jan Karon type book.
Amy would like this book too!
Traci
A story of young married couple trying to hold on to the family farm despite the hard times... Book shows strong work ethic of a young lad who wants the absolute best of for his family and to preserve his grandfather's legacy..
Jennifer Dawbin
I liked the book enough to want to read the second in the series. Interestingly, I found the smaller stories of folks to be more engaging the main story line. It's those folks that I want to know more about in the books to come.
Barb
This book is wonderful. An easy read, light and full of fun. It will make you laugh and cry. The characters in the book are so easy to relate to. This is the first book of a series of three.
Kris
Jul 15, 2012 Kris added it
Loved this book! I read it 8-10 years ago and enjoyed the characters and how they dealt with their challenges in life. You'll also want to read the other books in this series by Traci Depree!
Lori

A lovely, moving novel. The characters were well defined and realistic. The beauty of a simple life relying on the help and kindness of friends, God and the community was portrayed.
Amanda
I have many things to say about how much I loved reading this book, but not until after I lend it to my good friend Meghan. I don't want to spoil it for her! :)
Melissa
Chosen at random from the library shelves. This was a nice piece of Christian lit, clean, not too preachy. A little too idealistic of small towns and farms.
Kim Faires
This book did not move me, but by the end of it I was starting to like the characters. Surprisingly I think I will read the next book in the series.
Patty
I loved these books, I could have read them all in two days, but forced myself to wait a couple of days before starting the final book!!
Heidi
A little predictable, but a good uplifting story. I am interested to see what happens to the characters in the next book.
Suzanne
Hated it! Nothing against Christian printers but nothing happens and the characters have no redeeming qualities!!!
Kathie
Apr 18, 2009 Kathie added it
If you grew up on a farm or your relatives havee, you'd really enjoy it! Deals with ups and downs of farm life.
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • The Lumby Lines (Lumby, #1)
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1)
  • Friendship Cake (Hope Springs #1)
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • The Island of Heavenly Daze (Heavenly Daze #1)
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Tough
  • Summer Breeze (The Four Seasons of a Marriage Series #2)
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • A New Leaf: Cape Light #4 (Kinkade, Thomas)
  • Ladies with Options
  • Time Lottery
  • A Delirious Summer
  • Savannah Comes Undone
Traci DePree is the author of nine books. She loves creating new worlds where readers can escape the demands of everyday life and discover a deeper place of faith where true hope resides. She makes her home in a rural town in Minnesota where she fills her days with books, volunteering, gathering with friends and loved ones, playing a little tennis, riding dirt bike, as well as sewing and knitting!...more
More about Traci Depree...
Dandelions in a Jelly Jar Aprons on a Clothesline A State of Grace (Mystery and the Minister's Wife #2) Into the Wilderness (Mystery and the Minister's Wife #7) Open Arms (Mystery and the Minister's Wife #11) by Traci Depree