Start by marking “Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror (Falcon Quinn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror (Falcon Quinn, #1)

Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror (Falcon Quinn #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  455 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Thirteen-year-old Falcon Quinn and his neighbors, Max and Megan, board bus number 13 for school on an ordinary day in Cold River, Maine. Only the bus doesn't take its ordinary route, and Falcon and his friends soon find themselves in an extraordinary place—on Shadow Island, at the Academy for Monsters.

With a student body stranger than the cast of any monster movie Falcon h
Published May 11th 2010 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published July 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
If You Like Harry Potter You Might Like...
130th out of 342 books — 475 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Wizards, Magic, and More!
63rd out of 84 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Samrat
Really?! Average rating in the high threes? Did it really get better in the second half? Book club declared this one a disaster. We wanted to like it, but it was just so badly cliched, weirdly bigoted, awkward, slow paced... I think I'm going to try to finish it before I bring it back to the library, but I'm feeling kind of masochistic about it.
Adam Bolander
Mar 27, 2013 Adam Bolander rated it did not like it
If there’s one type of story that’s popular right now, it’s the one where special children go somewhere special to learn how to do special things. Two of the biggest franchises in the world share this common theme. Harry Potter sends children to a magical school to become witches and wizards. Percy Jackson sends demigod children to a special summer camp to learn how to control their powers. And now Jennifer Finley Boylan attempts to capitalize on this popular subject with Falcon Quinn and the Bl ...more
Anne Freya
Nov 13, 2011 Anne Freya rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel
Pengarang bernama Jennifer Finney Boylan ini dulunya adalah seorang pria bernama James Richard Boylan. So, apa yg dirasakan Falcon Quinn --yg terjebak dalam tubuh separuh monster dan separuh manusia-- kurang lebih menjelaskan hal-hal yg (mnrtku) pernah dialami pengarang.

Falcon selalu merasa dirinya tidak cocok berada di manapun, setiap org punya kelompok sendiri, punya teman dgn minat dan hobi yg sama. Bahkan di kalangan monster pun ia tdk memiliki tempat sama sekali krn ia tdk tahu ia termasuk
Chase
Mar 28, 2010 Chase rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all teens
Recommended to Chase by: St. Helens Book Shop
Shelves: arc-s
Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror
By: Jennifer Finney Boylan

A Book Report By: Chase Pixley

Falcon Quinn always knew that he was different than other kids. Falcon’s father fell through the ice on Carrabec Pond while his mother didn’t want him. He seemed to belong nowhere at his middle school in Cold River, Maine and had two different colored eyes - one blue and one black.
It is the first day of spring during Falcon’s 7th grade year. After a close call on Carrabec Pond his normal morning bus, numb
Chris
Dec 27, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
Everyone needs a label, a category in which to fit. If you don't claim one for yourself, others will assign you one. Emos, goths, athletes, geeks, monsters, guardians . . . everyone has to fit in somewhere.

Right?

( . . . monsters?)

Falcon Quinn doesn't, though. He's never been part of any group, never been put into a category or stuck with a label. He doesn't fit; he's a misfit. And life is lonely when you're always an outsider. So when Falcon, with two classmates, gets whisked away by a magical s
Joshua
Jun 09, 2010 Joshua rated it really liked it
I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could. Can a book be 100% original but also extremely derivative? This title shares a lot of similarities with the first Harry Potter book, not the least if which was the use of a mirror as a main plot conceit...

However, for some reason despite all of that I found myself flying through the book with its quaint cast of monsters... I think the only reason I did not give it 5 stars for poor entertainment was that I felt some of the dialogue was annoying and repetitive par
Erin
Jun 08, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
I read Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror when it first came out last year. I liked it then, and I enjoyed it again when I reread it in preparation for reading the sequel, Falcon Quinn and the Crimson Vapor. Though it follows the rather tired formula of "misfit boy is recruited to school for supernatural beings," the humor, pitch-perfect dialogue, and sheer weirdness make this book stand out.

The message of the story--be yourself no matter the cost--is, I suspect, a deeply personal one for Boylan
Abi
Fun, fun, fun, fun book! :) Silly, inventive fantasy novel where some ordinary kids find out they are monsters when they arrive at a monster academy. Great characters and friendships, and a good message about being true to yourself.

Definitely recommended for readers who like fantasy and mild/silly humor - very middle grade friendly.
Also, if you're a parent who wants a book that is fun and funny but has a good moral about being true to yourself, this is good for you. Jennifer Finney Boylan wrot
Aelvana
Dec 30, 2014 Aelvana rated it did not like it
Falcon, Max, and Megan are standing in line for the bus on a morning much like any other morning. Only this time the bus doesn't take them to school. At least, not the school they wanted. At the Academy for Monsters, the students will learn things more suited to the monstrous natures they've inherited. Things like how to blend in with humans. Which isn't a goal all monsters share...

On the level of a school story, with the wacky characters, interesting monsters, and various mishaps, I enjoyed thi
Vconner
Oct 13, 2014 Vconner rated it liked it
Ok, I actually "audiobooked" this one with my 2 sons (ages 6 and 12) who absolutely loved the characters. I think if I tried reading it I may have abandoned ship early on. The audiobook version was done well. I must admit that there were some parts I stopped early while the kids were listening and told them we would resume the next time we were in the car. I did this due to the dark direction it appeared to be taking. I would then listen ahead while the boys were not with me and give them a less ...more
Sarah Richards
Jan 04, 2011 Sarah Richards rated it did not like it
This book started off with so much potential. The longer I read though, the worse it got. By the end I was only reading it to see how bad it would get. I was no longer hooked on the book for reasons a person should be. This book is the reading equivalent of a hundred car pile up. You cannot help but stare at the words in awe of the badness as you turn the pages to the end.
Dwi Setianto
Aug 11, 2015 Dwi Setianto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waw, seru dan menyenangkan! Banyak humornya juga, cocok banget buat hiburan :D

Pernah denger kalo orang tenggelam di sungai, trus rohnya diambil setan? Apa benar mereka pergi ke alam jin dan jadi budak? Jangan-jangan mereka malah pergi ke Akademi Monster?
*abaikan saja lah XD
Shannon
Nov 16, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
My 13-year-old son devoured this book and spent all day today reading the second. :) Definitely a hit for those in the magic/fantasy crowd.

Update: he just read it AGAIN in two days. :)
Angel
Nov 28, 2015 Angel rated it it was ok
As far as exposition goes, this was a bit abrupt. I would've liked to see Falcon at his normal middle school for a few chapters so we could better understand his feeling of not belonging, instead of blatantly stating it in the first few pages and then carting him off to the otherworldly school on an island in the Bermuda Triangle. I find a similar issue with the other main characters. If there were a few flashbacks of their (for lack of a better word) human lives, maybe their characters would be ...more
Jun 14, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book (with my middle school aged boys).
Ira Book Lover
Hmmmm, saya kurang sreg dengan cerita Falcon ini. Semuanya serba nanggung menurut saya. Tapi kakak saya bilang ceritanya lumayan seru. Dia bahkan berhasil menamatkan cerita ini dalam semalam. Sedangkan saya …. eh …. butuh waktu hampir seminggu, hahhah.

Karena ceritanya Falcon ini bersekolah di Akademi Monster, maka kita akan bertemu dengan berbagai macam monster di sini. Mau ketemu Frankenstein ada. Zombie ada. Vampir ada. Naga ada. Monster cumi ada. Serigala jadi-jadian ada. Beruang jadi-jadian
Kristen
Sep 15, 2011 Kristen rated it it was amazing
First Impression:
I'm not quite sure where I found out about this series, but I remember it being reviewed as the "next Harry Potter", something that struck me because I had had several students last year ask me what to read that was like Harry Potter. So I had to give this first book a try to see what it was all about.

While Reading:
To be honest, it was quite how Harry Potter started, well sort of. Three students get whisked away on a magical bus to a magical school. Ah, but this is a school for
Celina Yuwono
Mar 27, 2015 Celina Yuwono rated it really liked it
Some people tried to compare this book with JK Rowling's. They way I see it, do the same thing as them just like compare baseball with tennis. They're same physicaly but different in many ways. The rule, goals, character...
I like this book, great, and interesting.
While Potter want to kill noseless man, Falcon's mission is make peace for monster and guard world. Two side of character in this book. :)
Nice, aaaand addicted.
Tina Burr
Apr 15, 2014 Tina Burr rated it liked it
This book started off with so much potential, thou the longer I read it lost its originality. I actually thought it was fairly humorous but some character development was lacking. I felt the dialogue was annoying, badly cliched, and slow-paced. Often I found myself downright confused with lots of questions, and a lot of the plot seemed out of the ordinary. It shared a lot of similarities to the first “Harry Potter” book.
Dana
Jul 05, 2014 Dana rated it it was amazing
Ok, at first, I saw that this book is in the same genre as Harry Potter, The Last Olympian and several others - kids who are "different" go to a school for kids who are similarly "different" - in this case, a school for kids who are monsters and I thought it would just be another copy cat book. But, it is a really good book! The kids don't know they are monsters until they get to the school, and Falcon, the main character, does not find out what kind of monster he is until near the end of the bo ...more
Bunga Mawar
Di buku ini, ternyata Shakespeare juga merupakan monster. Sedangkan di buku yg selesai saya baca sebelum ini, penulis tersebut adalah salah satu juru kunci Imaginarium Geograpica.

Hmmm, di seri lain lagi, Nicolas Flamel, Shakespeare masih hidup lho, sekarang. Dia kan termasuk kaum abadi. Bisa jadi salah satu jurnalis yg lagi meliput keriuhan pemilu capres tahun ini :)
Terry
The story has life lessons and humor that will resonate with teens and their parents. The cast of characters and their personalities transcend the school they attend. I liked the author's attempt to demonstrate the importance of being true to who you are, but overall the story fell flat for me.

Pros: Every reader will find himself / herself (or their friends!) at the Academy of Monsters. Humor, suspense, and the ever-present "what next" will keep readers turning the page well past lights out.

Read
Camille Stanford
When Falcon Quinn get taken by a school bus to attend a school for monsters, he feels like he doesn't belong anywhere just like at regular school, and his lack of monstrousness makes it difficult to get along with the others. But when the school tries to suppress their monster selves, even throwing disobedient students into the dungeons, Falcon and his friends escape, only to get into more trouble.
I found this book interesting, and enjoyed all the different types of monsters in the school. Falco
Rachel
Jan 09, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Falcon is a odd one. He's never felt like he's fit in anywhere. On the first day of spring, he discovers why that is: he's not human. He and a couple of classmates are picked up and delivered to a school for monsters, only to find that he doesn't really fit in there, either.

The storytelling is a bit heavy-handed, as is the theme of not letting others choose your identity for you, and the monsters are a really obvious metaphor. Then again, some anvils need to be dropped.

A decent, fast-paced read
Kenzi
Mar 02, 2015 Kenzi rated it did not like it
Interesting idea, but not a lot of humor and kind of drags a little bit. I got fairly bored, until the very, very, very end, but I almost didn't make it that far.
☘RubyRedWriter☘
Dec 23, 2015 ☘RubyRedWriter☘ rated it really liked it
I remember this book!! I had almost completely forgotten about it, but I LOVED it :D:D:D:D
Douglas Cootey
Good book. Fanciful monster academy premise. A bit reminiscent of Harry Potter, likely due to school setting. I found the story interesting, but the dialogue often annoying when the secondary characters took over the conversation. Their characters were simply too two dimensional to be given so much prominence. There was a moralistic undertone to the story as well that was often too overt for my tastes. However, I loved the ending. The story twisted, then tied up well. Lastly, I especially enjoye ...more
Zoë B
Jan 03, 2015 Zoë B rated it it was amazing
This book was so good! I loved to listen to the exciting stories.
Joy Land
Apr 28, 2014 Joy Land rated it it was amazing
This was a light coming of age story that had a lot of action and made you want to root for Falcon.
Cairn
Nov 29, 2015 Cairn rated it it was amazing
This is the best book EVER!!! Can't wait for the next one!
  • The Key (The Magnificent 12, #3)
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • RuneWarriors (RuneWarriors, #1)
  • The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes
  • The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons
  • Archvillain (Archvillain, #1)
  • Ghostsitters (Araminta Spookie, #5)
  • Unlucky Charms
  • The Little Secret
  • Wolven (Wolven, #1)
  • The Hero Revealed (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #1)
  • The Traitor King
  • Key Holder of the Realms (Tales of the Whosawhachits, #1)
  • The Invisible Tower (Otherworld Chronicles #1)
  • Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet (Tales of a Sixth-Grade Muppet, #1)
  • Potterwookiee (The Creature from My Closet)
  • The Wizard of Dark Street  (Oona Crate Mystery, #1)
  • Time's Daughter
Jennifer Finney Boylan is a widely praised author and professor.

Edward Albee summed up her oeuvre in 1988: -- "Boylan observes carefully, and with love. [Her] levitating wit is wisely tethered to a humane concern…. I often broke into laughter, and was now and again, struck with wonder."

Jenny's memoir, She's Not There, published by Broadway Books in 2003, was one of the first bestselling works by a
More about Jennifer Finney Boylan...

Falcon Quinn (2 books)
  • Falcon Quinn and the Crimson Vapor (Falcon Quinn, #2)

“Maybe . . . it's easier to have enemies than not to have them. . . . If you don't hate people, you have to learn to like them. . . . And liking people? That's not easy.” 8 likes
“Monster a person though monster not human.
Monster like music. Like Beatles! Like Schumann!
World full of stupid. World full of noise.
Monster feel ANGRY. No birthday. No joys.
World full of JUNK monster not comprehend.
What is a childhood? What is a friend?
Monster and human both want the same.
Want conversation. Want love. WANT NO PAIN.
If monster speak heart: monster life only worsen.
Monster not human: BUT MONSTER A PERSON!”
1 likes