Start by marking “Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror (Falcon Quinn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror (Falcon Quinn, #1)

Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror (Falcon Quinn #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  407 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Thirteen-year-old Falcon Quinn and his neighbors, Max and Megan, board bus number 13 for school on an ordinary day in Cold River, Maine. Only the bus doesn't take its ordinary route, and Falcon and his friends soon find themselves in an extraordinary place—on Shadow Island, at the Academy for Monsters.

With a student body stranger than the cast of any monster movie Falcon h
Published May 11th 2010 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published July 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
If You Like Harry Potter You Might Like...
119th out of 318 books — 451 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Wizards, Magic, and More!
48th out of 69 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Adam Bolander
If there’s one type of story that’s popular right now, it’s the one where special children go somewhere special to learn how to do special things. Two of the biggest franchises in the world share this common theme. Harry Potter sends children to a magical school to become witches and wizards. Percy Jackson sends demigod children to a special summer camp to learn how to control their powers. And now Jennifer Finley Boylan attempts to capitalize on this popular subject with Falcon Quinn and the Bl ...more
Samrat
Really?! Average rating in the high threes? Did it really get better in the second half? Book club declared this one a disaster. We wanted to like it, but it was just so badly cliched, weirdly bigoted, awkward, slow paced... I think I'm going to try to finish it before I bring it back to the library, but I'm feeling kind of masochistic about it.
Anne Freya
Pengarang bernama Jennifer Finney Boylan ini dulunya adalah seorang pria bernama James Richard Boylan. So, apa yg dirasakan Falcon Quinn --yg terjebak dalam tubuh separuh monster dan separuh manusia-- kurang lebih menjelaskan hal-hal yg (mnrtku) pernah dialami pengarang.

Falcon selalu merasa dirinya tidak cocok berada di manapun, setiap org punya kelompok sendiri, punya teman dgn minat dan hobi yg sama. Bahkan di kalangan monster pun ia tdk memiliki tempat sama sekali krn ia tdk tahu ia termasuk
Chase
Mar 28, 2010 Chase rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all teens
Recommended to Chase by: St. Helens Book Shop
Shelves: arc-s
Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror
By: Jennifer Finney Boylan

A Book Report By: Chase Pixley

Falcon Quinn always knew that he was different than other kids. Falcon’s father fell through the ice on Carrabec Pond while his mother didn’t want him. He seemed to belong nowhere at his middle school in Cold River, Maine and had two different colored eyes - one blue and one black.
It is the first day of spring during Falcon’s 7th grade year. After a close call on Carrabec Pond his normal morning bus, numb
Chris
Everyone needs a label, a category in which to fit. If you don't claim one for yourself, others will assign you one. Emos, goths, athletes, geeks, monsters, guardians . . . everyone has to fit in somewhere.

Right?

( . . . monsters?)

Falcon Quinn doesn't, though. He's never been part of any group, never been put into a category or stuck with a label. He doesn't fit; he's a misfit. And life is lonely when you're always an outsider. So when Falcon, with two classmates, gets whisked away by a magical s
que_bella
I read this book in the summer going into fifth grade, and I really liked the way that this book mixed mischief and magic in with a dangerous threat against their school. Kind of like Harry Potter (I can now compare since I'm reading the books) but still different.
Joshua
I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could. Can a book be 100% original but also extremely derivative? This title shares a lot of similarities with the first Harry Potter book, not the least if which was the use of a mirror as a main plot conceit...

However, for some reason despite all of that I found myself flying through the book with its quaint cast of monsters... I think the only reason I did not give it 5 stars for poor entertainment was that I felt some of the dialogue was annoying and repetitive par
Erin
I read Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror when it first came out last year. I liked it then, and I enjoyed it again when I reread it in preparation for reading the sequel, Falcon Quinn and the Crimson Vapor. Though it follows the rather tired formula of "misfit boy is recruited to school for supernatural beings," the humor, pitch-perfect dialogue, and sheer weirdness make this book stand out.

The message of the story--be yourself no matter the cost--is, I suspect, a deeply personal one for Boylan
Abi
Fun, fun, fun, fun book! :) Silly, inventive fantasy novel where some ordinary kids find out they are monsters when they arrive at a monster academy. Great characters and friendships, and a good message about being true to yourself.

Definitely recommended for readers who like fantasy and mild/silly humor - very middle grade friendly.
Also, if you're a parent who wants a book that is fun and funny but has a good moral about being true to yourself, this is good for you. Jennifer Finney Boylan wrot
Aelvana
Falcon, Max, and Megan are standing in line for the bus on a morning much like any other morning. Only this time the bus doesn't take them to school. At least, not the school they wanted. At the Academy for Monsters, the students will learn things more suited to the monstrous natures they've inherited. Things like how to blend in with humans. Which isn't a goal all monsters share...

On the level of a school story, with the wacky characters, interesting monsters, and various mishaps, I enjoyed thi
Vconner
Ok, I actually "audiobooked" this one with my 2 sons (ages 6 and 12) who absolutely loved the characters. I think if I tried reading it I may have abandoned ship early on. The audiobook version was done well. I must admit that there were some parts I stopped early while the kids were listening and told them we would resume the next time we were in the car. I did this due to the dark direction it appeared to be taking. I would then listen ahead while the boys were not with me and give them a less ...more
Sarah Richards
This book started off with so much potential. The longer I read though, the worse it got. By the end I was only reading it to see how bad it would get. I was no longer hooked on the book for reasons a person should be. This book is the reading equivalent of a hundred car pile up. You cannot help but stare at the words in awe of the badness as you turn the pages to the end.
Shannon
My 13-year-old son devoured this book and spent all day today reading the second. :) Definitely a hit for those in the magic/fantasy crowd.

Update: he just read it AGAIN in two days. :)
Jun 14, 2010 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book (with my middle school aged boys).
Ira Book Lover
Hmmmm, saya kurang sreg dengan cerita Falcon ini. Semuanya serba nanggung menurut saya. Tapi kakak saya bilang ceritanya lumayan seru. Dia bahkan berhasil menamatkan cerita ini dalam semalam. Sedangkan saya …. eh …. butuh waktu hampir seminggu, hahhah.

Karena ceritanya Falcon ini bersekolah di Akademi Monster, maka kita akan bertemu dengan berbagai macam monster di sini. Mau ketemu Frankenstein ada. Zombie ada. Vampir ada. Naga ada. Monster cumi ada. Serigala jadi-jadian ada. Beruang jadi-jadian
Kristen
First Impression:
I'm not quite sure where I found out about this series, but I remember it being reviewed as the "next Harry Potter", something that struck me because I had had several students last year ask me what to read that was like Harry Potter. So I had to give this first book a try to see what it was all about.

While Reading:
To be honest, it was quite how Harry Potter started, well sort of. Three students get whisked away on a magical bus to a magical school. Ah, but this is a school for
Celina Yuwono
Some people tried to compare this book with JK Rowling's. They way I see it, do the same thing as them just like compare baseball with tennis. They're same physicaly but different in many ways. The rule, goals, character...
I like this book, great, and interesting.
While Potter want to kill noseless man, Falcon's mission is make peace for monster and guard world. Two side of character in this book. :)
Nice, aaaand addicted.
Tina Burr
This book started off with so much potential, thou the longer I read it lost its originality. I actually thought it was fairly humorous but some character development was lacking. I felt the dialogue was annoying, badly cliched, and slow-paced. Often I found myself downright confused with lots of questions, and a lot of the plot seemed out of the ordinary. It shared a lot of similarities to the first “Harry Potter” book.
Dana
Ok, at first, I saw that this book is in the same genre as Harry Potter, The Last Olympian and several others - kids who are "different" go to a school for kids who are similarly "different" - in this case, a school for kids who are monsters and I thought it would just be another copy cat book. But, it is a really good book! The kids don't know they are monsters until they get to the school, and Falcon, the main character, does not find out what kind of monster he is until near the end of the bo ...more
Bunga Mawar
Di buku ini, ternyata Shakespeare juga merupakan monster. Sedangkan di buku yg selesai saya baca sebelum ini, penulis tersebut adalah salah satu juru kunci Imaginarium Geograpica.

Hmmm, di seri lain lagi, Nicolas Flamel, Shakespeare masih hidup lho, sekarang. Dia kan termasuk kaum abadi. Bisa jadi salah satu jurnalis yg lagi meliput keriuhan pemilu capres tahun ini :)
Camille
When Falcon Quinn get taken by a school bus to attend a school for monsters, he feels like he doesn't belong anywhere just like at regular school, and his lack of monstrousness makes it difficult to get along with the others. But when the school tries to suppress their monster selves, even throwing disobedient students into the dungeons, Falcon and his friends escape, only to get into more trouble.
I found this book interesting, and enjoyed all the different types of monsters in the school. Falco
Rachel
Falcon is a odd one. He's never felt like he's fit in anywhere. On the first day of spring, he discovers why that is: he's not human. He and a couple of classmates are picked up and delivered to a school for monsters, only to find that he doesn't really fit in there, either.

The storytelling is a bit heavy-handed, as is the theme of not letting others choose your identity for you, and the monsters are a really obvious metaphor. Then again, some anvils need to be dropped.

A decent, fast-paced read
Kenzi
Interesting idea, but not a lot of humor and kind of drags a little bit. I got fairly bored, until the very, very, very end, but I almost didn't make it that far.
Douglas Cootey
Good book. Fanciful monster academy premise. A bit reminiscent of Harry Potter, likely due to school setting. I found the story interesting, but the dialogue often annoying when the secondary characters took over the conversation. Their characters were simply too two dimensional to be given so much prominence. There was a moralistic undertone to the story as well that was often too overt for my tastes. However, I loved the ending. The story twisted, then tied up well. Lastly, I especially enjoye ...more
Zoë B
This book was so good! I loved to listen to the exciting stories.
Joy Land
This was a light coming of age story that had a lot of action and made you want to root for Falcon.
Sharon
Try the word "CRAZY". Seriously. My nephew spoiled the ending for me (as in, spoiled EVERYTHING), but I still absolutely enjoyed it. The wacko characters were definitely my favorite part, especially Sparkbolt ("cake--BAD, alfalfa--BAD, poem--NEEDS DEAD")and Johnny ("it's just this thing I can do"). Falcon was a good choice as a main character, because he was more sane that anyone else, except maybe Megan. There was a pretty good plotline too, albeit predictable. Nice light mood, new ideas. Love ...more
Jill Simm
This book definitely falls into the realm of Harry Potteresque fantasy. I give it 3 stars for effort and acknowledge that I am 30+ years past the target age for this story. I surely would have liked it better if I was 12.
Veronica Bates
Great kids book. I enjoyed it. Can't wait to red the next one.
Janet Riegel
adventure harry potterish
  • The Key (The Magnificent 12, #3)
  • The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes
  • Time's Daughter
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons
  • Wolven (Wolven, #1)
  • Archvillain (Archvillain, #1)
  • The Traitor King
  • Key Holder of the Realms (Tales of the Whosawhachits, #1)
  • The Witch's Buttons
  • The Invisible Tower (Otherworld Chronicles #1)
  • Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
  • Nightmare Academy (Nightmare Academy #1)
  • The Mask of Destiny (Billionaire, #3)
  • Magicalamity
  • Thresholds (Magic Next Door, #1)
  • The Society of Unrelenting Vigilance (Candle Man, #1)
Jennifer Finney Boylan is a widely praised author and professor.

Edward Albee summed up her oeuvre in 1988: -- "Boylan observes carefully, and with love. [Her] levitating wit is wisely tethered to a humane concern…. I often broke into laughter, and was now and again, struck with wonder."

Jenny's memoir, She's Not There, published by Broadway Books in 2003, was one of the first bestselling works by a
More about Jennifer Finney Boylan...

Falcon Quinn (2 books)
  • Falcon Quinn and the Crimson Vapor (Falcon Quinn, #2)
She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders I'm Looking Through You: Growing Up Haunted Stuck in the Middle With You: A Memoir of Parenting in Three Genders Falcon Quinn and the Crimson Vapor (Falcon Quinn, #2) The Planets

“Maybe . . . it's easier to have enemies than not to have them. . . . If you don't hate people, you have to learn to like them. . . . And liking people? That's not easy.” 7 likes
“Monster a person though monster not human.
Monster like music. Like Beatles! Like Schumann!
World full of stupid. World full of noise.
Monster feel ANGRY. No birthday. No joys.
World full of JUNK monster not comprehend.
What is a childhood? What is a friend?
Monster and human both want the same.
Want conversation. Want love. WANT NO PAIN.
If monster speak heart: monster life only worsen.
Monster not human: BUT MONSTER A PERSON!”
0 likes