Start by marking “Good-Enough Mother: The Perfectly Imperfect Book of Parenting” as Want to Read:
Good-Enough Mother: The Perfectly Imperfect Book of Parenting

Good-Enough Mother: The Perfectly Imperfect Book of Parenting

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In an ideal world, mothers would have time to hand-sew their kids' costumes for the school play, prepare all-organic meals, and volunteer in the classroom at the drop of a hat. In reality, most moms have to settle for plopping their little ones in front of SpongeBob so that they can prepare yet another chicken nugget-based dinner, guiltily convinced they're falling down on...more
Published March 27th 2007 by Gallery Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Good-Enough Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good-Enough Mother

Lane
Like her style, but she gets kind of repetitive...I get it, we don't need to be perfect (thank god, I got it a long time ago!)
Heather
I liked the author's message; that it is okay, and even preferable, to not be a perfect mother and kids will still turn out normal. I appreciate her honesty regarding the difficulty of parenting and the need for mothers to still take care of their personal needs. However, I wasn't expecting as much of a memoir as it turned out to be. The writing was a bit marginal and pretty repetitive. I got about 2/3rds of the way through but I just couldn't finish it.
Bree
I was looking for something that was less personal and a bit more like the "I was a better mom before i had kids" book I read right before this. It is mostly her struggle on how to keep her (wonderful in my eyes) job and raise her kids. It doesn't really relate to what I am currently doing and the age is a bit older than my daughter. I am just trying to deal with a 2 year old without losing my mind so I might appreciate this a few years down the road.
Amy
About halfway through, but I am really enjoying Syler's thoughts on being a mother, especially one who is equally devoted to her children and herself. I keep agreeing with her on the thought behind being a "working mom" (ever heard of a "working dad"? didn't think so...) and on being a mother who does her best, and that is good enough.
Rakisha
A wonderfully sweet and motivational book about being a mother in these current times. It's funny, moving, and relatable. It proves that the woes each mom (or dad) have are not new and won't be new when our children become parents. Not as funny (nor as cynical) as Naptime is the New Happy Hour.
Mel
This is a light, entertaining look into the family and motherhood adventure of news anchor Rene Syler. As is the case in many families, her two children are completely different. This is a nice read for a mother and it serves as a light-hearted reminder that "good enough" is often good enough!
Holly
This was not a preachy how to book, but more of a parenting memoir. I found it an easy read, with a couple of nuggets of mommy-wisdom. Nothing earth-moving, but there was quite a bit of affirmation for my own parenting styles and choices.
Jenny
Funny and real. Whether you're a stay at home Mom or a Mom who also works outside of the home, you'll find things to love about this book. And you'll laugh out loud. Funny read for Moms.
Christy
Feb 29, 2008 Christy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
What a giant waste of time. The anectotes are boring, the advice useless and her parenting style uninspiring. I would defintely not recommend.
Catherine
I was looking for practical tips, and this was more funny essays, but they weren't really that entertaining...
Monica
Not what I was expecting. More autobiography than parenting.
Brigitte
This was more a memoir than a parenting book.
Karen
Karen added it
Jun 05, 2014
JJ
JJ marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Jen Wood
Jen Wood marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Lisa Glavin
Lisa Glavin is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2014
G
G added it
Dec 05, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013