A Sharpness on the Neck (Dracula Series, #9)

A Sharpness on the Neck (Dracula Series #9)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  8 reviews
In 1792, Philip Radcliffe, the bastard son of Benjamin Franklin, comes to France to deliver a letter to Thomas Paine--only to get caught up in a conflict far more horrifying than the Revolution. By foiling a powerful vampire's attempt at fratricide, Radcliffe dooms himself and his descendants to suffer the vampire's eternal vengeance.

In present day, Philip and June Radclif...more
Published March 15th 1998 by Tor Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Sharpness on the Neck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sharpness on the Neck

Tom
An OK Dracula read. Saberhagen's Dracula is the classic interpretation (wooden stakes, mirrors, mist and bats), but he's not really a monster... or at least, he is a monster with a very high moral code. In this book, he's having a centuries long spat with his little brother (also a vampire). Dracula refuses to (permanently) put his brother to death, but his younger brother has no such qualms.

The book kept switching from 1st person to 3rd person perspective, switching timelines from "now" back to...more
Kim
I've read all of Mr. Saberhagen's Dracula series and only recently discovered I'd missed this last one when it was released. So I was fairly excited to get a new one. I've always found these books entertaining, if light, reading. But I was disappointed with this one. The plot was decent, I suppose, dealing with the Terror after the French Revolution and the struggle between Vlad Dracula and his brother Radu. But the writing was really poor. I just reread the first in the series, The Dracula Tape...more
Bert Edens
Apr 06, 2010 Bert Edens marked it as to-read
Shelves: vampire-fiction
Read several books in this series when my older son (who was born in 1993) was in NICU immediately after birth. I read the books out loud to him, and it was fun hearing the nurses tell each other at shift change what had happened in the story :)

Anyway, I've read all the books in the series and want to go back and re-read them.
Keith
"A Sharpness On The Neck" by Fred Saberhagen, is the 9th book in his 'Dracula Series' I have read over the years. This book and this series has been an entertaining set of novels to read. The writing quality varies in each of the novels. Fred Saberhagen has done a credible job in giving the 'Dracula' story a twist in his retellings.
Jenilyn
This was an amazing, well written book. I recommend this book for those who like vampires minus all of the drama that is found in modern vampire books(such as Twilight).
Joene
The Dracula series continues on with this enjoyable story.
Dale Rosso
Loved it, another great addition to the Dracula series.
colleen
read 05.31.06
good series
Anne Tilney
Anne Tilney marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Shaka Simba
Shaka Simba marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Nikki Wade
Nikki Wade marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Robert Stepien
Robert Stepien marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Michael Peacor
Michael Peacor marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Ollivier
Ollivier marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Coyote
Coyote marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Kemy
Kemy marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Jeri
Jeri added it
Jul 09, 2014
Brian Barnett
Brian Barnett marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • Dracula in London
  • In the Blood (Sonja Blue, #2)
  • Children of the Vampire (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #2)
  • Dracula the Undead
  • The Bloody Red Baron (Anno Dracula, #2)
  • Renfield: Slave of Dracula
  • The Saint-Germain Chronicles (Saint-Germain, #6)
  • Heroes
  • Tapestry of Dark Souls (Ravenloft, #5)
The First Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1) Berserker (Berserker, #1) The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #2) The Complete Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1-3) The Lost Swords: The First Triad (Lost Swords, #1-3)