Start by marking “The Wyndham Legacy (Legacy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wyndham Legacy (Legacy, #1)

The Wyndham Legacy (Legacy #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  2,467 ratings  ·  65 reviews
The first novel in Catherine Coulter's acclaimed Legacy trilogy.
Published September 1st 1994 by Jove Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Wyndham Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wyndham Legacy

MelissaB
Fani
I can't be impartial about this because blandly put Coulter's humor, just like Julie Garwood's, doesn't work for me at all. Had I known this was more on the humorous rather than the angsty side, I'd never have picked it to begin with.

Impartially though, the heroine had little to recommend her in the first half of the book. For the first 100 pages she only reacts with nods and single line answers to her encounters with every person she meets, including the hero, even when she's insulted. Such a
Maggie
Normally I love Catherine Coulter novels but this book was horrible.

(view spoiler)
Diana
tacitus
Frustrating, Infuriating, Garbage. Psychotic Characters with Incomprehensible Behavior

Firstly, I will tell you that the hero is screwed over, repeatedly, in the most infuriating and soul-ripping ways that I entirely understand how he became such an insufferable monster. Of course he did. And the heroine does absolutely NOTHING to mitigate any of it. She knows full well that her silences, her calm responses, only infuriate him further, and yet she STILL CONTINUES TO DO IT. She acts as if the hero
Jaime
I’ve never read Catherine Coulter and don’t read a lot of historical romance, but I enjoyed this. Most of the book was banter between the Duchess and Marcus, and you found yourself cheering them to succeed. And Aunt Wilhelmina was just about the best “evil relative” I’ve ever read — more comic relief than anything else. The “Wyndham Legacy” was mostly just a diversion from the love story, but the ending was a surprise.
Amy Sanders
I loved this story. Marcus was terrible for most of the book, but Coulter does a great job showing why he is this way.
Her background on the Dutchess was wonderful.
Although I thought the first cousins was kindof gross, I know that was common at the time.

Marcus had been very cruel at times, when he realizes what he has done to the Dutchess emotionally, he does not skim over the degree of wounding he caused, but makes amends, and changes.

ThI liked the Dutchess' journey from cold reserve from de
Tara Lynn
I promised no more romance, and maybe I lied just a little. I'm willing to make exceptions for AMAZINGLY researched historical romance: i.e., Gabaldon, John Jakes, etc. Back in high school, when I could admit to reading such fluff, I got into Catherine Coulter and Katherine Woodiwiss, historical romance writers who actually seemed to research the periods they were writing in. Unlike Gabaldon and Jakes, who in my opinion are probably the best I've seen in the field, (and whose expected sex scenes ...more
Abdmoody
This book had potential but it was too predictable. Too much like every other book/story. It was long and drawn out. It was a boring read for me. I also am not a fan of hot and heavy and there was a bit of that too. The author could have done so much more with the mystery treasure portion and never explained the last attempted murder or completely solved the other attempts really either. My 3 star rating is a bit generous.
Melanie
The book was easy to hang onto and with flowing writing, I followed the plot as it unraveled. As time moves on, however, I find myself only reading to witness one minor event that is incoming, not for the end or 'what happens' to both of the main characters. I don't particularly like either of the main characters, I'm not sure if this is intentional or if their qualities simply don't appeal to me. Indeed I find Badger to be the best of the entire set. It's very hard for me to find a fiction/roma ...more
ErinReadsTooMuch
Having a really hard time finishing the book. The characters are just so unlikeable. I will give it to Coulter in that she is historically accurate, but it doesn't make me like the characters more.

OK, I finally finished the book. I kind of wish that I had just read the last maybe 75 pages of the book and left the rest. That's the only part where the Hero is tolerable, even likable. The rest of the book was just hard to read. The only thing I stick to is that she is historically accurate (or so I
Bebe Four
Marcus is an unbelievable jerk for much of this book, although he's much better in the other books.

Series rating: 3.5
My ranking: #2 > #3 > #1
The secondary characters are especially well done in this series.
Melinda Medlin
I really enjoyed the characters. I wish there was more dialogue between Dutchess and Marcus about why they felt they way they did and how that contributed to the tension. Great story.
ErinReadsTooMuch
I thought I already wrote my review of this book. Hated it. The female lead was a strong woman, but completely in love with an abusive man, and loved him even though he was nothing but cruel to her. He didn't get tolerable until the last quarter of the book, which is way too long for me. Even though she spends a lot of time being historically accurate, and has wonderful side characters, I just couldn't stand the main 'hero'. Seems like a sad waste of talent when an author goes to all the trouble ...more
Katherine ang
It was fun. I wish Maggie and Mr. Sampson's love story was hinted at the book. They just immediately announced that they will be getting married without knowing their story. Also, Mr. Sampson didn't had a lot of exposure here. I expected a lot from him because he was such a charming character at The Valentine Legacy, which I read first before this book. Also, in the Valentine Legacy, the peacocks played quite an interesting role. However, they didn't appear whatsoever in this book. Hmmmnn. The m ...more
Kari
I love Ms. Coulter's historical books. I really wanted to like this one. Unfortunately, I didn't. In fact, it ended up being a DNF for me. It was just boring. It seemed to take forever to get through a scene. Some of the conversations were unnecessary and seemed to be included as filler.

I hated the hero. Marcus was whiny and acted like a 3 year old who didn't get his own way. The way he spoke to Duchess was appalling. I had to turn it off. I also didn't like the narrator. Her accents were horrib
Vetta Webb
Good book, kinda wish it eneded diffrently.
Dpic
soso drivel
Tatrd
Josephina "Duchess" Cochran & Marcus Wyndham
They are first cousins. She was a bastard who's father had a long and loving affair with her mom upon her stepmother's death. The Earl married her mother and legitimized her. Upon his death the Earldom went to his nephew - Marcus - only if he married Duchess otherwise he was left penniless. Duchess tricked him into marrying her and consummating their marriage. American Wyndhams thought they inherited so they came and cousin Trevor wants to be the E
Susan Ward
Interesting story. Didn't see the villain coming. :-)
Rebekah
Much better then the last Coulter book I read but that's really not saying much. I hated both the duchess and Marcus for 90% of this book. They were both so infuriating. (the only character I hated more then these two was Aunt Wilhelmina- she reminds me a little too much of my mother-in-law, and trust me when such under the breath comments are directed at you its less then funny). The main redeeming quality of this book was the servants. Spears, Badger, and Maggie never failed to delight me.
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
I really enjoyed this one. I liked Marcus Wyndham and I adored the Duchess. This was a really cute romance from slightly enemies to lovers. I love the racing cats too. This was a really good romance for me because I liked both Marcus and the Duchess. They are both endearing characters who make the best of the situation they are in. Neither one of them are completely bad or good. Highly recommended historical romance for a feel good book.
Mariah
The wyndam legacy is a superb read. The plot was good, the characters had there own special flare. Then the plot thickens within the mystery dealing with in the Ruling of Henery the 8th and it's long lost treasure. The romance between hero and heroine was also a passionate fullfilment within the plot. Along with the loving Romance, and Of course the True love They find.
Donna
This was good, not as good as some of her others. I did enjoy it.
Qtpham85
First of all, I had to pretend in my mind that they are NOT first cousins...But was reminded of that fact several times throughout the book and I had a hard time getting over it. It's just not cool! Otherwise, it's a really fascinating story with the main characters acting really badly yet still falling in love with each other.
Susan
The story was good, the characters annoying, the mystery pretty good, but my main complaint is the overuse of sex scenes. I wanted to try Catherine Coulter and felt that the historic time period and the fact that it was written in the 1990's would be safe. It was not and I will not read any of her others.
Pat
Well written little fast reading historical novel. Takes place in the first of the 19th century and involving the aristocratic earldom of the Wyndham family in Northern England. Lots of graphic sex and lots of mystery plus a very good story flow. Well done Ms. Coulter. Published in 1994.
Ron
This 12 1/2 hour audio book was captivating to listen to on the road. That is until the "Duchess" knocks out cold nasty Marcus. The story goes down hill from then when all of the intrigue is gone. Maggie McClellan has a nice voice, but does a poor job in portraying the men's voice.
Amanda Ryan-Romo
For the category (cheesy historical romance) this is by far one of Coulter's best and most creative. The main male character is pretty stock for Coulter, but the Duchess is definitely beyond the norm. What makes this book great, though, is the suporting characters. They make the book.
  • Impulse
  • Desired
  • Defy Not the Heart (Shefford's Knights, #1)
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
  • Splendor
  • River Lady
  • Fairest of Them All
  • The Gift (Crown's Spies, #3)
  • The Panther and the Pearl
  • Mistress
The Cove (FBI Thriller, #1) The Maze (FBI Thriller, #2) Split Second (FBI Thriller, #15) Point Blank (FBI Thriller #10) Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)