Start by marking “The Devil's Disciple” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Disciple
Read Book* *Different edition

The Devil's Disciple

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  739 ratings  ·  47 reviews
The year 1777 is the one in which the passions roused of the breaking off of the American colonies from England, more by their own weight than their own will, boiled up to shooting point, the shooting being idealized to the English mind as suppression of rebellion and maintenance of British dominion, and to the American as defence of liberty, resistance to tyranny, and sel ...more
Published May 23rd 2008 by Nuvision Publications (first published 1897)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Disciple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Disciple

Stela

George Bernard Shaw’s Devil’s Disciple is quite an example of melodrama gone, so to speak, good. I mean, everything is there: mistaken identity, turnaround of events, conjugal triangle, surprise inheritance, self-sacrifice, contrast between appearance and essence with a bit too much emotional tension display to turn into comedy and a bit too much happy ending to turn into tragedy.

Everything is there except for the usual sentimentalism, which is counteracted by light parody. In fact, at the time
Lina AL Ojaili
تابع الأنسان مناسب أكثر
John
The first play that I have read, the Devils Disciple is an encouraging start. Fast paced, clever, and witty this three act play follows the lives of several New Englanders during the revolutionary war. The dour Mrs. Dudgeon, held in high esteem for her desultory piety by the local community, opens the play overseeing (in a condescending abrasive way) her illegitimate grandaughter while awaiting the return of her husband who has traveled to attend the hanging (by the british forces) of his broth ...more
Realini
The Devil’s Disciple by George Bernard Shaw

This is an interesting play about Duty, Honor, Religion and Love with capital letters. We could add freedom and a few other values, but let’s forget about a shopping list and see what is going on in the play.
It was unexpected, if not shocking to learn what the subject is, in a play by George Bernard Shaw. I thought it will be another comedy in the vein of Pygmalion, but found the play to be a drama, set on the American soil and about the beginning of th
David Sarkies
Jun 28, 2015 David Sarkies rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Philosophers and Christians
Shelves: modernist
The inversion of Good & Evil
5 July 2014

Like a number of Shaw's plays, he begins this one with an introduction on the topic of the play, which seems to be about the nature of good and evil and how in reality it is quite difficult to distinguish between what is good and what it evil, especially in the political sphere. The play is set during the American Revolution and is about how 'the Devil's Disciple', Richard Dudgeon, a self-avowed devil worshipper, takes the role of the village vicar in
Timothy Morrow
After possessing a copy of a book of four Shaw plays, I became rather excited. I have read two of his works beforehand and found them entertaining and brilliant. The idea of the American Revolution being a center point for the story did alarm me slightly, not wishing to delve into that time period nor the country. What I found from reading the first act was delightful.

My first introduction to the character Richard was explosive and entertaining. For a man composed and said to be pure evil, he w
Joy H.
Mar 19, 2013 Joy H. marked it as watched-film-only  ·  review of another edition
Added 3/19/13.
March 2013 - I watched the 1990 British film adaptation starring Patrick Stewart (via a Netflix DVD). I did not read the play.

FILM ADAPTATIONS:

IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133712/f... ("Theatre Night" "The Devil's Disciple" (1987) (1990?) (with Ian Richardson, Elizabeth Spriggs, & Patrick Stewart)

IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052735/?... ( The Devil's Disciple (1959) ) (with Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, & Laurence Olivier)

NETFLIX: http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Th
Goddess Of Blah
This play is hilarious, extremely witty. It's superior to GBS's more famous plays such as Pygmalion (better known as My Fair Lady). The character who appeals the most must be General John Burgoyne (often referred to as Gentleman Johnny). He has a rapier wit and a disdain for stupidity and pomp.

And as with all GBS's plays there's brilliant social, political and moral observations, all dispensed in a comical witty manner. And a hint of romance which is never seen through (i.e. the couple decide i
Elius
Nov 12, 2011 Elius rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: High Schools
Shelves: 2011-books, drama
This was my second Shaw play after Man and Superman, and honestly, I expected more. Maybe because Don Juan in Hell: From Man and Superman had so much philosophy crammed in it, that I expected the same from a play titled The Devil's Disciple.

Anyway, on to the play, Shaw discusses the US Revolutionary War in his own satirical way. I did see his criticisms to those who maintain the status quo and his pulling the nose of the religious community, but all-in-all, it was a fast and simple read.
Adrienne
I love this play. I've read it so many times I've lost count. This book is all about a man who doesn't care what others think of him. His name is Richard Dudgeon (Dick), and he is basically outcast from everyone in his family. They all consider him to be below them and to be a terrible "sinner." Shaw basically shows Dick to be a man of better morality than his relatives and to be a true hero. Dick is the most Christ-like character in the book, even though he rejects Christians and is rejected by ...more
Irena
It was perfect almost till the end, when it suddenly fell flat, tying up the lose ends in an unconvincing knot.
Josh Meares
Short play by Shaw that castigates the negativity of Puritanism. In other words, the Puritanical definition of holiness as not doing things you shouldn't. Shaw also, as is his wont, criticizes those who follow the status quo or who bow to the opinions of others. It is interesting that the man character, Richard aka the Devil's Disciple, should turn to the ministry while Anderson the priest should turn warrior. Shaw also endeavors to save Guscoyne's reputation (he was the general who served as th ...more
Leah Wener-Fligner
LA Theater Works via spl.
Mai Sweed
اول مرة اقري مسرحية عجبتني بصراحة دمها خفيف و بتبين ان اي انسان جواه خير مهما كان الناس شيفاه شرير و اي انسان بيتظاهر بالصلاح و الاكتمال هو من جواه في نقص لانه ببساطة انسان ...........
Hasan
Absolutely brilliant! One can find wit and candidedness like one feels if he is reading Oscar Wilde. I think Mr. Shaw wrote with the same frame of mind, especially when it comes to plays/dramas.

The play highlights what was wrong with the world in past and present as well. That it scraps obsolete steam-engines and dianamos; but it won't scrap it's old prejudices and its old moralities and its old religions and its old political constitutions.

Byernard Shaw is "a ruthless realist" as well a great
Florin Pitea
I liked the preface even more than the play. :)
Yngvild
George Bernard Shaw could be acerbic, but The Devil’s Disciple is more of a light romp, a dig in the ribs of those members of the religious community who take themselves far too seriously. Shaw’s message to the audience is to eat, drink and be merry. Nobody loves a misery.

All’s well that ends well in this comedy, kept light-hearted by its lovable bad-boy hero. The aptly named Mrs. Dudgeon, representing all that is dour, dreary and womanish about religion, gets her come-uppance in a most satisfyi
Aman Mittal
The Devil’s Disciple was written in 1896-97 by G. Bernard Shaw. The play occurs in the town of Websterbridge, New Hampshire, in 1777 during the American Revolution. The play is written in a way in which each act ends in a cliff-hanging affair. The hero acts out of unselfish idealism. Otherwise all other characters are significant and make the play a melodrama with a difference. The court-martial scene is one of the funniest scene of its kind in dramatic literature. It revolves around a General w ...more
Katie
Oct 14, 2008 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katie by: Saw the play at Ithaca College
Shelves: favorites, history
A "devil's disciple" is usually a bad guy..but remember that Shaw was essentially a satirist. As usual, he turns everything on its ears, in this case notions of heroism, patriotism, piety, and propriety, among other perennial favorites. The British Army comes off looking rather silly, as does colonial America ("I have defined the 100% American as 99% an idiot," Shaw once said, "and they just love me").

So anyway, what is the proper way to hang a gentleman as a prisoner of war? Should you let his
albin james
all is full of love : you just ain't receiving
all is full of love : your phone is off the hook
all is full of love : your doors are all shut

all is full of love
Deke
Riveting plot, brilliant writing, some of the best dialogue ever. Fascinating, thoughtful, compelling, was not expecting to love it as much as I did.
Haibar Zair
You can never go wrong with Bernard Shaw. You can never go wrong with Bernard Shaw =)
David
Classic Shavian play and set in the Revolutionary War in America.
احمد فتيح
قراتها من سنتين .. الروعة برنارد شو
Steven
Rather heavy-handed and predictable play.
Rolls
I love the plays of George Bernard Shaw. Usually. This wasn't bad but its an early effort and left me wanting more. There's some good stuff here though. The romance is novel and the narrative pace is brisk. The trial scene though is like a blue print for the one in "Saint Joan" and I kept wishing I was reading that play instead of this one.
John Martinez
A view of some hypocrisy of early American puritanism. An excellent play. Bernard Shaw's dialogue isn't great, but you can see a lot of his intelligence and writing skills come out in his scene introductions and character descriptions. A short play that is definately worth a read if you haven't done so already.
Mike Jensen
Shaw's clever play about the US Revolutionary War does not disappoint. Droll, intelligent, and highly moral, the last of these may be seen as a surprise for Shaw. On the other hand, it gives him a chance to razz the British government, something he could never resist. Smart work.
Boni
This setting of this play of George Bernard Shaw is during the fall 1777, during the Saratoga campaign of the American Revolution. This is about mistaken identity between a minister and a black sheep member of a family, the Devil's Disciple.
  • The Ecclesiazusae (or Women in Council)
  • The Shoemaker's Holiday
  • Phaedra
  • The Lady from the Sea
  • Phantasmagoria and Other Poems
  • A Delicate Balance
George Bernard Shaw was an Irish playwright, socialist, and a co-founder of the London School of Economics. Although his first profitable writing was music and literary criticism, in which capacity he wrote many highly articulate pieces of journalism, his main talent was for drama. Over the course of his life he wrote more than 60 plays. Nearly all his plays address prevailing social problems, but ...more
More about George Bernard Shaw...
Pygmalion Pygmalion and Three Other Plays Pygmalion & My Fair Lady Arms and the Man Saint Joan