Start by marking “The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou” as Want to Read:
The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou

The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou

4.4  ·  Rating Details ·  6,633 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
For the first time, the complete collection of Maya Angelou's published poems-including "On the Pulse of Morning"-in a permanent collectible, handsome hardcover edition.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published January 21st 2009 by Random House (first published 1986)

Nandakishore Varma
May 11, 2016 Nandakishore Varma rated it really liked it
What I like about poetry is that it is never completely "read". Like the Akshaya Patra ("Inexhaustible Vessel") in the Indian Epic Mahabharata, which keeps on delivering food no matter how many times one approaches it, a poetry book will keep on supplying food for the intellect. In every new reading of a favourite poem, you will find something fresh to appreciate.

I read this book by Maya Angelou after I finished the first part of her biography, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, because I was impr
Didi
Jun 01, 2014 Didi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ordered this book the day I heard about the death of Maya Angelou. this beautiful hard cover book was delivered the very next day in which I dropped all of my other reading, The Good Lord Bird, to experience the world of poetry by Maya Angelou. What a wonderful book filled with some of her most popular poems like Phenomenal Woman and Still I Rise, but also of lesser know poems which should have a place along side the popular ones. These poems are varied in themes about relationships, family, l ...more
Cheryl
Dec 10, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
His lidless eye slid sideways,
and he rose into my deepest
yearning, bringing
gifts of ready rhythms, and
hourly wound around
my chest,
holding me fast in taut
security,
Then, glistening like
diamonds strewn
upon a black girl's belly,
he left me. And nothing
remains. Beneath my left
breast, two perfect identical punctures,
through which I claim
the air I breathe and
the slithering sound of my own skin
moving in the dark.

**I've had this collection for three years and somehow at the end of each year, I've always
Wanda Lea Brayton
She came to my college to give a lecture. Unfortunately, as I was the night circulation supervisor in the library, I couldn't go. But - my favorite literature teacher, Helen Cullins Smith (who was the lady responsible for Ms. Angelou's coming) gave her the poem I'd been inspired to write...Helen came into the library the next day and gave me an announcement that Maya had signed...it said "Wanda Lea — Write On!" I'm still reading her works.
Tara Račić
Feb 20, 2016 Tara Račić rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alena
Jan 07, 2015 Alena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hold Maya Angelou as an icon in my mind, a source of wisdom and grace. This collection also reminds me that she was a brilliantly passionate, even angry, black woman. I was sometimes uncomfortable, often moved, driven to read lines two or three times and always, always in awe. That's good poetry.

Plus, my very favorite Angelou one-liner:
Does my sassiness upset you?
Jun 08, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, poetry
Maya Angelou writes with rhythm, verve, anger, celebration, sexiness. Her poetry is measured, balanced, and rhymed, and it carries the music of her spirit. Whether defiant, empowering, confrontational, sensual, or accepting, each poem is an anthem.

Personal favourites include Caged Bird, Preacher Don't Send Me, On Working White Liberals, Still I Rise, and Equality.

Equality
You declare you see me dimly
through a glass which will not shine,
though I stand before you boldly,
trim in rank and marking
Harley
Oct 12, 2014 Harley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, read-2014
With the passing of Maya Angelou, I decided to read some of her work which somehow I had missed previously. I finished I Know Why a Caged Bird Sings earlier this summer and now I have finished The Complete Collected Poems. Like any collection of poems, there are some that I like better than others. Some of my favorites include:

Pickin Em Up and Layin Em Down
When Old Folks Laugh

While Angelou will
Susan Botich
Oct 14, 2012 Susan Botich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Angelou's poems are like songs that tell passionate, personal stories. She speaks with depth and intimacy. She uses the vernacular of black American heritage to reveal ourselves to us, our humanness, in all its frightening, shameful, mysterious and wonderful aspects. Powerful and involving.
Andrea
Dec 08, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, poetry
A poem by Maya Angelou anytime is a fine good read. Very now and then I like to take a big huge dose of her great work.
Claudia Putnam
Oct 28, 2016 Claudia Putnam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Sacrilegious to give this less than 5 stars, I know, but the problem is that the collection is a little too complete. It ranges from stunningly insightful, the hauntingly melodic, to the embarrassingly adolescent. And unfortunately, not all the adolescent stuff is that early:

Greyday

is what I wear.

No one knows
my lonely heart
when we're apart.

I don't care if this is about mooning over a missing lover or a loss of fait
Ruth
Nov 01, 2014 Ruth rated it really liked it
I feel that Maya Angelou is the female Langston Hughes--and for a new generation. There's that same rhythm, the same flair, the same knowing. Of course, all poets want to be their own voice, and she really is that. It's just that some of her things have a Hughes quality to them.

There are masterful poems throughout the book. A few of my favorites are "Late October" with its gently reflective cast, the impatient "The Telephone," and "He Went Home." There are too many wonderful poems to count. Many
Jan 16, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
This book is a collection of poems by Maya Angelou. I am reviewing the poem "Phenomenal Woman".

This is a poem that states how phenomenal women are. It describes how powerful women can appear to those around them. We can catch a man's attention by the way we walk into the room or the way we stand. It reminds us that we are phenomenal because we are strong, able to take care of so many other people, take care of our homes, our families yet able to have careers. Women are phenomenal because we can
Isobel
Jan 31, 2015 Isobel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, read-in-2014
This is beautiful. Having read 'I know why the caged bird sings', I was interested in picking up some of Angelou's poetry, and chose this collection on the recommendation of my mother. Angelou's use of language and form is refreshing and striking, and her boldness in addressing topics such as race and sexism is admirable. My favourite poems came early on in the collection, and were mostly shorter pieces that seemed to give a snippet into Angelou's mind in a very relatable, lovely way, but the co ...more
Leslie
Nov 15, 2013 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
As with all collections, my rating refers to my overall impression, an informal average. In this set of poems, I found several which I loved for the rhythym & rhyme, several others I loved for the content. Others I found stirred up my feelings, which I admire and are powerful but disturbing. Only a few left me uninterested.

I would strongly recommend this poetry, especially to women. Angelou has a strong feminist voice as well as a voice for African-Americans. She captures the anger as well a
Louis
Sep 22, 2013 Louis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
This is truly a wonderful book that is good for the soul. I had read many of Maya Angelou's books before, so had read many of the poems before. Yet, as I read through them all with this reading -- in less than a day -- I found myself once again inspired, moved, touched, and so much more. I am sure I will return and read this book a few more times.
Lettie
Jul 22, 2014 Lettie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The spirit of love that is entrenched in her desire for social change is always a breath of fresh air.
Claudia
Mar 25, 2009 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't own many poetry books, but this is one of the few and a rare jewel among them. My favorite poem is I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, since it's meaning is different for whoever reads it.
Pink
Dec 16, 2014 Pink rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some good, some bad. Or maybe it was more a case of some okay, some bloody amazing. I'd recommend reading those from 'And Still I Rise' and go from there.
Jae_pooh_88
Jan 04, 2012 Jae_pooh_88 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS WAS THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!!!! IT IS VERY VERY VERY VERY INSPIRAIONAL!
Stephanie Kapllani
Maya Angelou has always been one of my biggest heroes as her beautiful words have helped mend my heart through the years. Her recent passing away made me go back to these beautiful poems and although I admit there are some of them I really can't relate to as I've never had to go through the same sufferings as she has, they're nonetheless very soul-moving.

Some of my favorites from her are Africa, America, Remembering, In a Time, When I Think About Myself, We Saw Beyond Our Seeming, Passing Time,
Mykie
Why I Read This Book:
I have read this book on a frequent basis since I was 15 years old. My Grandmother bought this for me because I was in love with poetry and with Maya Angelou’s work. After all these years, my book is still in excellent shape. I pick it up and read various pieces from it several times a year. With the recent passing of Maya Angelou, I picked it up again.

Content:
The book is a nice, hefty, collection of Maya Angelou’s poems. I’ve had this collection for almost 20 years and I ne
W.M. Driscoll
Aug 09, 2016 W.M. Driscoll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What to say about the poet and author Marguerite Ann Johnson, a.k.a the sublime Maya Angelou? Like other larger than life figures, she has filled many roles for many people over the years and worn many hats, literary and otherwise, but it is my intention here to limit the scope of my comments to the poet and her poetry, and what poetry it is! Some critics have sought to dismiss her poems for their popularity or performance aspects in favor of her other writings, which are considerable. This is a ...more
Jean Poulos
Jun 19, 2014 Jean Poulos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
The Complete Collected Poems of Maya Angelou was published in 1994. When reading Maya Angelou’s poems I hear her voice in my head. When she read her poems she brought them to life for me. I love the rhythm and rhyme of her poems but also the story or narrative poems. Her poetry of slave and work songs she uses a personal narrative and emphases on the individual response to hardship, oppression and loss. She once said “Once I got into it I realized I was following a tradition established by Frede ...more
Rozonda
Jun 03, 2014 Rozonda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not one to rush and get a writer's work after they die, and this hasn't been exactly the case with Maya Angelou either. At a certain time of my life, I met her poetry- thanks to the Internet, literary anthologies, and so on. I only read a few of her poems, probably the most popular ones- PHenomenal Woman, Alone, and others- but they really were very important to me: I was undergoing a depression and the strength and power of her poetry helped me a lot.
When she died, I was reminded of all t
Maria Ch
Aug 01, 2013 Maria Ch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Maya Angelou writes simple, like one talks, like one thinks, like one feels. She writes out of memory, out of experience, out of fear, hope, happiness, but ultimately her poems are real and you can identify with them no matter what your skin colour, ethnic background, age, gender, sexuality.(at least i assume you can)I am glad i read this collection again and i cant wait to reread it in a few years time just to see my experience and reaction to these poems as i grow older, because the notes i to ...more
Amy Burch
Dec 21, 2011 Amy Burch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to read this book mainly because I had heard that Maya Angelou's poems were very inspiring and real. After reading this collection of poems, I would have to agree. How she overcame so much in her life to become such a successful woman is amazing. Although several of her poems were sad, this collection had its fair share of happy poems too. Majority of her poems were either about a struggle she has faced; lack of love, race, abuse, poverty, or about the feelings she had after overcoming ...more
Chad
Feb 15, 2015 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was looking at poetry books at my local library with my daughter, she needed a book for an English class, I looked at the beats and Whitman and things of which I had read. When I saw the books of poetry by Ms. Angelou I thought how does one become in this day and age famous as a poet? After reading her lines and sometimes rhymes I understand why she's so beloved, she makes you feel and, I may be wrong, isn't that the point of poetry? She also can make you think and even see things differently; ...more
Amanda
Jun 18, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I was prompted to read Maya's work after her death, but for years I thought about her on occasion. She spoke at my college graduation 12 years ago and I remember her being inspirational and capturing. She called us little birds (about a dozen times) and told us to fly. :) Poetry is hard to read for most, including me. Maya is not terribly difficult for the average person. My favorite poems are Senses of Insecurity, Where We Belong, Phenomenal Woman, and Call Letters: Mrs. V. B. My favorite line ...more
James
Mar 07, 2016 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, afro-american
Favorite moments for me include reading Maya Angelou and recalling her presence in Portland's Heathman Hotel Lounge, listening to Dave Frishberg play the piano. She greeted everyone behind the counter with a smile and a few words. Her poetry collection is as personal and memorable for me.

Mothering Blackness, Touch Me Life-Not Softly, And I Still Rise, Caged Bird, I Shall Not Be Moved, Human Family, Equality, Many and More, Grandmothers. I urge you to get on board.
  • The Collected Poetry, 1968-1998
  • Her Blue Body Everything We Know: Earthling Poems 1965-1990 Complete
  • Cries of the Spirit: More Than 300 Poems in Celebration of Women's Spirituality
  • The Collected Poems
  • Poetry as Survival
  • Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America
  • Blessing the Boats: New and Selected Poems, 1988-2000
  • Directed by Desire: The Collected Poems
Maya Angelou, born Marguerite Ann Johnson April 4, 1928 in St. Louis, Missouri, was an American poet, memoirist, actress and an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement. In 2001 she was named one of the 30 most powerful women in America by Ladies Home Journal. Maya Angelou is known for her series of six autobiographies, starting with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, (1969 which was n ...more
More about Maya Angelou...

Caged Bird

A free bird leaps on the back of the wind
and floats downstream till the current ends
and dips his wing in the orange suns rays and dares to claim the sky.

But a bird that stalks down his narrow cage
can seldom see through his bars of rage
his wings are clipped and his feet are tied so he opens his throat to sing.

The caged bird sings with a fearful trill
of things unknown but longed for still
and his tune is heard on the distant hill
for the caged bird sings of freedom.

The free bird thinks of another breeze
and the trade winds soft through the sighing trees
and the fat worms waiting on a dawn-bright lawn and he names the sky his own.

But a caged bird stands on the grave of dreams
his shadow shouts on a nightmare scream
his wings are clipped and his feet are tied so he opens his throat to sing.

The caged bird sings with a fearful trill
of things unknown but longed for still
and his tune is heard on the distant hill
for the caged bird sings of freedom.”
514 likes