Half-Price Homicide (Dead-End Job Mystery #9)

Half-Price Homicide (A Dead-End Job Mystery #9)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  548 ratings  ·  46 reviews
The national bestselling author presents a high society murder mystery...

At Snapdragon, a high-end designer consignment shop, Helen is at the beck and call of snobby- yet frugal-customers. That alone is a deadly combination, especially with Chrissy, a drool-worthy fashionista who walks in with a purse to sell, and ends up screaming at her husband and another customer.

He...more
Published May 4th 2010 by NAL Hardcover (first published May 2010)

Gail
What started out as a good heroine on the lam, a mystery series with a gimmick is winding down with a whimper. Helen Hawthorne has been on the lam because of a bad judgement over her divorce but she's been found out long ago. Her totally sexy mysterious boyfriend has evolved into a faithful fiance at her beck and call. She does resolve her marriage woes, her tax woes, and her life straightens out so she could get paid what she is worth. However, a mystery is set for another book, and the stage i...more
Melodie
I think this may be the last in this series and it's probably a good thing. I didn't care for Helen in the first book or 2 in this series and I felt that way about her again in this one. Rob's back and there's been a murder made to look like suicide in the consignment shop Helen's working in. Yada, yada, yada........
Donna in Southern Maryland
This book is just perfect for a lazy couple of summer afternoons. Helen is one again working off the books, and once again, there's a murder. At least the police detective is really starting to look at her funny! Where ever she works, someone turns up dead! Oh, well, it's just a fun mystery series. I like the characters.

There's an odd situation that sets her up for future blackmail. Just when she's gotten her legal life back and gets married to Phil. Not a single mention of Clapton in this book...more
Elizabeth
I just finished Half Price Homicide by Elaine Viets, in her Dead End Jobs series. Helen's mother dies, which presents a whole new ball game. There is of course a murder or two which must be solved as Helen works in an upscale resale ship.
Betty
When the judge awarded Rob half his wife's earnings for life, Helen Hawthorne refuses to pay this outrageous alimony. She leaves her affluent home in St. Louis and goes on the run until she reaches Fort Lauderdale where she works at a series of dead end jobs. Helen also meets her fiancé private investigator Phil at the apartment complex they both live in. Phil wants to marry her, but before they can Helen must return to St. Louis to fix her legal and financial liabilities.

Meanwhile she works at...more
Mason
If it wasn’t for bad luck, Helen Hawthorne won’t have any luck at all.

At least that’s the way it seems most of the time as Helen changes from one dead-end job to the next trying to stay one step ahead of her womanizing leech of an ex-husband, Rob. Helen is the heroine in HALF-PRICE HOMICIDE, author Elaine Viet’s latest installment in the Dead-End Job Mystery series.

Helen’s current job is at a high-end clothing consignment shop in South Florida. Vera, the shop owner, buys and re-sales designer ap...more
Raiveran Rabbit
This is the first book I've read in the series. I'm sure I've mentioned before; since I started reading these "cozy"-type mysteries, all of which feature a single woman with a crap relationship in the past, I've grown more horrified as I've noticed the mean, petty, narrow-sighted and just plain evil aspects of these MCs' actions. This MC isn't any different. She's selfish, immature, and sports the optional "Cozy mystery relationship action figure", who's of course obedient, supportive and seemin...more
Fittytiff
I have read this series in order. It's a good summer beach want to relax type read for the mystery reader. It been a while since I read the others and I am now catching back up on the series. The one thing I do not like is that you do need to read in order as the sub plots go in order. Some how I wishes these were numbered so I know which to read. I have the next four ready to read and it was a bit confusing as to which to read next so I have kind of spoiled a few things.
My other small complaint...more
Norma Huss
I won this book, and I'm so glad. I've read several of the Dead-End Job Mysteries, both before and after this episode, but I'd missed this one---and I'd missed an important element in the overall arc of the series. (Shouldn't do that!)

In this episode, Helen Hawthorne works at a high-end used mostly clothing store. She wants to clear her name of alimony evasion and marry the man she loves. But a lot more happens, of course. There's murder at the shop, and family upheaval. Let's just say, great r...more
Rachelle
I'm not a fan of this author's writing style. It seems like two different people wrote this book. In one chapter, the main character mentions another character in the book, and in the next chapter, when that same character is mentioned, she has to be reminded who he is. This happens in book-time maybe a day after she was talking about him.

Character personalities aren't consistent or realistic. I get the feeling this series is just the author's way of putting her real life experiences in book fo...more
Ed
#9 in the Dead End Job series. Helen finds yet another off the books job to avoid paying alimony and yet another corpse to challenge her sleuthing abilities. Luckily she has an understanding landlady and a loving fiancée for support in this light hearted Florida cozy.

Dead End Job series - Helen Hawthorne and Vera Salinda, the owner of Snapdragon's Second Thoughts, are shocked when Chrissy Martlet, a wealthy developer's trophy wife, is found coshed, then hung with a scarf. Identifying Chrissy's k...more
Veronica
Well, I must admit that this title started with a BANG, but quickly lost momentum for me. Helen, the main character and amateur sleuth, has a likable AND plausible personality. She's a little like STEPHANIE PLUM of the Janet Evanovich Series, but less funny. There were so many plot lines that were going on in this book and each of them had a logical, albeit incomplete, place. I felt that the storyline was too rushed and not all the threads were adequately "flushed" out...And without going too ov...more
Min
I think I know where this is going next and I'm not sure I'm all that keen to go along. I have the next book already from the library so I'll at least start it. Unless it vastly improves, however, I think my time with this series may well be over.
Jaclyn
The book was good, but I'm not sure I like the twist at the end with the ex-hubby. It doesn't sound like Helen and her sister make very good choices.After all helen has been trhough she enters into her new marriage with a lie looming over her head? Perhaps this is a way of keeping the series going? I will read the next one and see where the author is going with this but I hope it's not going to get too much more far-fetched and silly. The witty humor of the first few novels really appealed to me...more
Scilla
This was sort of a stupid book. Helen Hawthorne, has left St. Louis to go to Florida to escape the alimony she is supposed to pay to her divorced husband. She works at a consignment store where a rich customer is murdered in the dressing room. Meanwhile, her estranged mother broke up her next wedding and dies in Florida. Helen takes the body back to St. Louis because the mother's husband doesn't want to pay anything, and more strange activities take place during funeral activities. Back at home,...more
Susan
Janet
I'll be interested to see where she goes with this series. I need to see the main character get a grip on reality.
Ann
Helen Hawthorne is hiding from her ex-husband. He was awarded 1/2 of all of her future earnings by a judge in their divorce. She is working at a high-end thrift store when one of the customers is found dead in the store's dressing room. Helen needs to stay in town because her mother is dying in a local nursing home. She is engaged to be married and needs to get things solved and the problems with her ex solved so that she can start her new life with no extra baggage. This is kind of cute but I d...more
Deneen
Without spoilers-I like the Dead End Job series and Elaine Viets, but this book, although I enjoyed reading it is left some loose ends, weird loose ends. Although I can guess where perhaps her last book in this series will take us(I am guessing there will be one more to wind up the series), it was as if Ms. Viets threw in a twist she'll have to revisit and it just sort of appeared at towards the end of the book like it was just thrown in. From the reading of this one, if she doesn't do a "wrap u...more
Melody
This book was OK. The reason I only gave it two stars is that I felt the author created an unnecessarily sordid situation involving a child in order to set up a blackmail situation for a possible next book. Without that, it may have been three or maybe even four stars for me, but I just found that particular aspect of the book tasteless.
Darcy
Boy, this series has really gone down hill. I found myself very bored while reading this one. Sometimes I can handle when the story is very formulaic if the characters are still interesting, but in this book they have become caricatures of themselves. The events that happened in St. Louis have a will probably have an effect on future books. I will probably read them, but just not rush out to the library to get it right away.
Susan
I usually like the quick pace, the dialogue and the characters (especially Margery, the landlady) in these mysteries. This one had all those elements, but it also had a very improbable scene with Helen's sister. Looks like there will be more of the Dead End series, too, since there is a loose end concerning that scene. In spite of that, this is a great book for a lazy summer afternoon.
Lois
This book had so much more content than the others have, of late. I really enjoyed the new life twists and turns, the inclusion of bigger roles for the supporting characters and the change and growth that each seem to have made. I'm rather pleased that Helen Hawthorne's old life is almost behind her and she can start pursuing other things.
Patricia Gulley
Another great story in the dead end series. This time consignment store dealing in very expensive clothes and items. Lots of things happening in this book to change our heroine. Lots of new problems too. Great read.
Linda Smatzny
This is the ninth book in the Dead-End Job Mystery series. The main character, Helen Hawthorne, finally gets married and gets free of her ex-husband and all the problems stemming from their divorce. It was an easy read.
Robin Green
This was a fast read. It's a good book I enjoyed very much. The characters are interesting & funny yet there's a murder to solve. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mysteries.
DJ =^^=
I am addicted to this series. It's not the best mystery or anything like that. I just like the main character, I love how each book she is working a different dead-end job. Funny to me.
Linda
I have read them all but this one leaves some weird loose ends. Plus Helen and her sister do something that just doesn't make sense. You will have to read it to find out.
Julie
Not as humorous as some in the series and I had some trouble getting into it but that could have been my own distractions. Still, I'll be looking out for the newest addition.
  • Cook the Books (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #5)
  • Nightshade on Elm Street (A Flower Shop Mystery, #13)
  • Pampered to Death (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #10)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Die Job
  • Murder of a Stacked Librarian (A Scumble River Mystery, #16)
  • No Way to Kill a Lady (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #8)
  • Slightly Irregular (A Finley Anderson Tanner Mystery #4)
  • Darling Dahlias and the Confederate Rose (Darling Dahlias #3)
  • Murder on the Half Shelf (A Booktown Mystery, #6)
  • Buffalo West Wing (A White House Chef Mystery, #4)
  • Fine-Feathered Death (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-sitter Mystery, #3)
  • Murder by Mocha (Coffeehouse Mystery, #10)
262084
As a young girl, Elaine Viets was taught the virtues of South St. Louis: the importance of hard work, housecleaning, and paying cash. She managed to forget almost everything she learned, which is why she turned to mystery writing.

Living in South Florida has not improved her character. But it has given her the bestselling Dead-End Job series. Like her amateur detective, Helen Hawthorne, Elaine actu...more
More about Elaine Viets...
Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1) Murder Between the Covers (Dead-End Job Mystery, #2) Dying in Style (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper, #1) Dying to Call You (Dead-End Job Mystery, #3) Just Murdered (Dead-End Job Mystery, #4)