Start by marking “Anthropology” as Want to Read:

Anthropology

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,031 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
"Crying":
story number 13 from Anthropology

"My girlfriend left me, and I started crying in my sleep. My nightly lament became so loud that my neighbors called the police. The press found out, and people came to stand outside my house to hear me call her name and moan. Television crews arrived, and soon a search was on to find the object of my misery. They tracked her to h
Published 2010 by Canongate Books (first published 2000)

Melki
101 stories, 101 words each.

101 quirky little laments about lost loves, unforgettable loves, obsessive loves and just plain disturbing loves. The stories are both devastatingly sad and uproariously hilarious:

---------------------------------------------------------

Pieces

They kidnapped my girlfriend and asked for an awful lot of money before they would even think about giving her back. I was grateful for the peace and quiet, so I wasn't in too much of a hurry to settle up. After a while, they sta
MJ Nicholls
Dan Rhodes makes micro-fiction writing look pimps.

His lauded collection, Anthropology, collects 101 stories, each approx 101 words (the word count isn’t rigidly adhered to), and over the course of 200 pages, breaks down the bulk of a billion novels about heartbreak, obsessive lovers, hapless male losers, and pouting femme fatales into hilarious, touching and poignant mini-stories.

I have been a doubter of micro-fiction for some time, but reading this collection has opened my eyes to the possibili
Mister Mank
Sep 19, 2007 Mister Mank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: misanthropes
I'll read everything Dan Rhodes will ever publish based on the strength of this tiny book. 101 stories about love all 101 words long. Meditations on relationships and the character names keep getting weirder and weirder. Rhodes is just sick about love, deathly ill. He has a wonderfully disturbing sense of humor and a keen awareness of the thin line between love and some other awful, regrettable thing.

The characters hurt and I laugh. I laugh and it hurts.
Aldrin
Jan 31, 2011 Aldrin rated it really liked it
If brevity is, as Polonius says in Hamlet, indeed the soul of wit, then Dan Rhodes, with his turn of the millennium collection of short short stories, is a writer possessed of extraordinarily sharp perception. His stories in this collection, titled Anthropology and a Hundred Other Stories, represent the best that short comic and literary fiction can offer.

Anthropology is a slim anthology of a hundred and one stories, each a hundred and one words strong and each narrated by an unnamed man romant
Tina
Jun 28, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I randomly picked this book up because a) it sounded interesting, b) I loved the cover and c) was in a ginormous reading slump, had the attention span of a butterfly and needed something that was either short stories or had really short chapters. Good that I picked it up, though, because the style of Dan Rhodes is absolutely amazing and did get me out of the reading slump I was in.

Anthropology consists of 101 wicked short stories about love, sex, relationships and break-ups that are very funny a
Rowena
Mar 18, 2013 Rowena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd actually give its rating as a 3.5 (I wish we could give half-star ratings on Goodreads). I read this book because I was interested in the premise ; 101 short stories, all 101 words each. Each story was straight to the point,and witty at times. Some stories were just tragic.It was a very quick read.
Ben
Oct 08, 2010 Ben rated it it was amazing
I'm wondering if there's a Dan Rhodes book I won't five star now. Funny for both its accuracy and its ridiculousness, these stories are succinct, precise, touching and lethal. I was going to list some of my favourites but there's too many. I'm going to force this book on a lot of people.
Eduard
May 24, 2014 Eduard rated it really liked it
I have never heard of Anthropology before browsing for books on the internet. I was intrigued by the premise: 101 love stories composed of exactly 101 words each. So, I bought it.

Rhodes' work, which resembles microfiction, is odd, heart-breaking, with bits of witty humour and, at times, even dirty. With names like Skylark and Hummingbird, "his girlfriends" are something different. They literally die laughing,they get pregnant in two years time and sometimes they resemble Mount Fuji.

Although some
David Gallagher
Nov 04, 2010 David Gallagher rated it really liked it
It's really difficult to write a full story in 100 words, but Rhodes has accomplished that. The girls' names in each story are simply hilarious to begin with. And reading My girlfriend left me at the beginning of almost every story is another.

Although infused with comedic tragedy and quirkiness that makes you shake your head, there are themes in these love stories that apply to real life as well: cheating, having your loved ones crashing your dreams, getting over someone, dealing with their exe
tee
Jun 01, 2011 tee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, short-stories
I wanted to hate it but I didn't really. There were only a couple of pieces that were so quirky that they nudged my gag reflex. The majority of the rest were okay and there were several gems. It was these gems nestled amongst the rest of the okay pieces that were it's saving grace. Gems such asL

"They kidnapped my girlfriend and asked for an awful lot of money before they would even think of giving her back. I was grateful for the peace and quiet, so I wasn't in too much of a hurry to settle up.
Jasmine
Mar 31, 2011 Jasmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jasmine by: MJ Nicholls
Shelves: british
so I guess this is book 33 of the year which is about on target.

this is a book that I think can really be judged by the cover. there are women of three colors on the cover. all the red women are the same women, all the pink women are the same women. but I think the green women are different women. the book is like this too not unlike AM/PM where there are repeat characters in the stories this book has repeat characters although in this book they have different names each time. I suppose except
Heli
Oct 19, 2013 Heli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tarinakokoelma kuin macaron-lajitelma: maistettuaan kymmeniä on edelleen pakko ottaa vielä muutama pieni herkkupala, jos niissä olisi jotain eroa. No ei ole, kaikki maistuvat samalta, mutta kohta tarjotin on tyhjä. Kitalaessa kihelmöi mantelin karvas kitkeryys ja hampaissa tuntuu tahmainen sokeri. Ällöttää vähän, vähää enemmän. Ja aina maistellessa miettii, että tällaisia voisi tehdä itsekin, mutta ne epäonnistuisivat kuitenkin. Macaronit sopivat esimerkiksi cocktailkutsuille, joissa yhteen ihmi ...more
Andrew Mcq
This is a clever, but slight, collection of short musings on the nature of love and infatuation. The majority are concerned with 'over-loving' the object of your affections. Many of the funniest relate to being the object of over-attentive affections. It's a clever device, I can imagine these as a regular feature in a satirical magazine. They are a great insight into the savage humour of Rhodes, which comes out in his fiction, and are not below-par in writing terms. However, he has given himself ...more
Taylor
Feb 03, 2016 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Taylor by: Chris
Shelves: short-stories
One of my favorite books of all time and an incredible gift that was given to me.
Vickie Wilson
Apr 09, 2014 Vickie Wilson rated it it was amazing
Anthropology is my first foray into the vast and strange world of Dan Rhodes mind and I don't think it will be my last. This 101 page book somehow manages to may every single page story relatable, funny sad and poetic. Ranging from the silly ('My girlfriend was lost in space') to the downright bizarre ('I found my girlfriend smashing our two year old's toes with a rock'), I read the whole book in one sitting but would have happily read five or six.

My girlfriend is so besotted that she can't take
Elena
Mar 13, 2015 Elena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Inanellare tre libri assolutamente pessimi uno in fila all’altro non è da tutti, concedetemelo. Questi due mesi hanno segnato un record personale, mai mi era capitato di sbagliare tre letture consecutivamente. Della prima vi ho già parlato, il libricino di Hornby del mio ultimo articolo, che chiamarlo romanzo è un’offesa per il genere. Del secondo non intendo scriverne, se non queste due righe per consigliarvi di evitarlo: Un lieve profumo di limone di Rachel Joyce. Il terzo è il soggetto di que ...more
Nalnac
Dec 16, 2011 Nalnac rated it really liked it

A collection of very-very-short, surreal, funny, stories.
Tiny snippets of/about love.

And the crazy thing is, that we have all been there somehow.

This book will have the honour to sit next to A Lover's Discourse: Fragments in my bookshelf .

Simply perfect.
rose
May 30, 2009 rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: recovering romance/chick lit fans looking for fluff with unique thoughtful interesting substance
Recommended to rose by: my goodreads lurkage.
Quick, but definitely interesting. Makes for a light read, but is able to explain the way we relate in love and why we do the silly things we do through a mere collection of fluffy stories. Not that they are really that fluffy though, some are rather twisted, sad and heart wrenching wheras others are hilarious. A tale of love from the male perspective. Definitely a good read.
Ghadah;
May 07, 2013 Ghadah; rated it really liked it
This is a small book of short stories. very short. a story a page. But they were brilliant. Rhodes tells stories about couples and relationships, and some of them are quite wicked. The sense of humor is really dark. Pieces is absolutely my favorite. It was shocking and it made me giggle.
Lauren
Jun 28, 2013 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This is a small book that packs a lot of punch. With shameless writing, creating wickedly hilarious gems such as 'Paint', 'Real', 'Toys' and 'Stuff', this is one book I can see myself dipping into again and again.
Blogbaas Van 'tVliegend Eiland
8/10
Of course, a better way to rate an author is to buy all his books, which I just did.
tara
Jun 03, 2013 tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm in love! Can't wait to read another of his books..
Craig Wallwork
This shouldn't have taken as long as it has to read. What you have here are bite-sized stories of around 100 words per page, of which there are 100 stories. Maybe 101. But part of this book's charm is also it's failing. Yes, you can devour this book in one sitting, of probably a couple of hours at the most, but to so means you miss some of the subtle beauty Rhodes delivers. That said, there is probably 30 stories too many in this collection. Those that could be cut merely appear brain-dumps from ...more
Alexander Turner
Aug 10, 2014 Alexander Turner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this small book. A collection of short stories or condensed novels as jg ballad called his stories in the atrocity exhibition.

These are stories of love, or on the theme of. Lots of witty one-liners and miscommunication.

I got this as a library book having chanced accross it, had heard of dan rhodes through stewart lee, genius uk comedian and one time novel writer who says: 'My favourite author who isn't dead'.

As my library doesnt date stamp books anymore, I decided to write the da
Jen
3.5 stars - good

I read this book, but I'm really torn over how many stars to give it. On the one hand, it was well-written and interesting. On the other hand, it was incredibly depressing and disturbing, and I hated it. While the latter feelings might mean I should give this book many stars, I just don't feel right doing so.

If I had to name one of the 101 stories that most describes the "why" of how I feel about this book, it would be "Binding:"
I found my girlfriend smashing our two-year-old'
Samantha Penrose
Overall, I found this to be an unpleasant read. It's a collection of 101 blurbs, (each story is only a paragraph or two long), depicting broken, twisted, failed relationships. I dog-eared four passages that I "liked," and could have read nothing more and gotten the point. I liked the following passages enough, however, that I'm glad that I read the book.
Page 93
Lilac
I was overcome with the desire to build. I bought some bricks and cement and started work, going as high as I could. The tower was a
Sonia
Nov 04, 2015 Sonia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don’t often take much notice of the recommendations that I get from Amazon, but the Dan Rhodes book covers are so intriguing, that when this was suggested to me (after buying Little Hands Clapping) I thought I’d take a look. It sounded quirky and totally up my street (and 2.27 on Kindle).

This isn’t a story, and it’s barely a whole book really – it’s only 101 short stories of just 101 words long each. It literally took me about 1-2 hours to read. But they were a couple of wonderful, surreal hou
Alan
I won this from Short Review. Tiny book of tiny stories, almost finished and I only started a minute ago. Ok five minutes ago.

Well stories about girlfriends - break ups mainly, either way (I mean girlfriend leaves or he leaves) and funny, mostly. Some only made me slightly smile, others make a laughing noise. Pretty good if you like that sort of thing. Here's a complete story (all are about 101 words, 101 stories too):

Normal
After a blazing row Harmony joined the nuns. ‘That’s it,’ she said. ‘I’m
Нона
Apr 15, 2015 Нона rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Абсолютно небольшое, но забавное произведение, которое невольно вызывает улыбку.
Во время чтения складывалось впечатление, что оно составлено на основе личных впечатлений автора, которые были доведены до абсурда в его мыслях. Многие этим занимаются (я уверена), но не каждый возьмёт на себя смелость записать всё это на бумаге.
Книга и автор оказали на меня вдохновительное и успокаивающее действие — я поняла, что не так уж одинока в своём сумасшествии.
Dec 16, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories, quirky
This is a fun little book to own. Each page contains a teeny tiny story about some (ex-)girlfriend. Some are sweet, others pretty twisted.
At times I thoroughly enjoyed it, but eventually I found it to be a bit repetitive. It probably works better if you only pick it up every now and then to read a story, maybe two.

Anyway, I'd recommend it if you're looking for something a bit different. It's quirky, it's short and it looks beautiful! Could make a nice gift, if, at least, you think the recipient
  • Black Watch
  • Don't Try This at Home
  • Babe in Paradise: Fiction
  • This Isn't the Sort of Thing That Happens to Someone Like You
  • Bleak Expectations
It should be noted that a recent Gallup poll revealed that there are an estimated 14,000 writers worldwide who share Rhodes’ name. He is not to be confused with the Daniel Rhodes who writes books about vampires, or the Daniel Rhodes who writes books about ceramics, or the Dan Rhodes who writes books about theology, or the Danny Rhodes who writes teenage fiction, or the character Sheriff Dan Rhodes ...more
More about Dan Rhodes...

“-Paint-

My girlfriend is so besotted that she can't take her eyes off me. After we've turned out the light she puts on her night-vision goggles, and watched me as I sleep. Quite often I am woken by her sighing and involuntary yelps of happiness. This has been going on for years, and is showing no sign of abating. Once I asked her to stop all this infra-red activity, but it didn't really work; I'd wake up to find her covering me in luminous paint, and softly whispering, 'Sometimes I wonder if you know how much I love you.”
11 likes
“I fell in love the moment I saw her in her grandfather's kitchen, her dark curls crashing over her Portuguese shoulders. 'Would you like to drink coffee?' she smiled.

'I'm really not that thirsty.'

'What? What you say?' Her English wasn't too good. Now I'm seventy-three and she's just turned seventy. 'Would you like to drink coffee?' she asked me today, smiling.

'I'm really not that thirsty.'

'What? What you say?' Neither of us has the gift of language acquisition. After fifty years of marriage we have never really spoken, but we love each other more than words can say.”
4 likes