Start by marking “The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House (The Sandman #2)” as Want to Read:
The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House (The Sandman #2)

The Sandman, Vol. 2: The Doll's House (The Sandman #2)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  49,429 ratings  ·  1,248 reviews
New York Times best-selling author Neil Gaiman's transcendent series SANDMAN is often hailed as the definitive Vertigo title and one of the finest achievements in graphic storytelling. Gaiman created an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision.

During Mor
Published October 19th 2012 by Vertigo (first published June 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Sandman, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sandman, Vol. 2

Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
I'm sorry Neil Gaiman..That first book in this series was kinda bland.

I think you way stepped it up in this book.

Yes, I know..you has some fangirls..err Kelly and Synesthesia..might want to send those to some fan mail..they got your back.

This one featured Dream guy but it actually made some sense..or did I drink the kool-aid?? Am I dreaming now..Now I'm paranoid.
I hate to give much away because these books aren't very long. So you gonna have to read these suckers.
Oh! Wait! I will tell you. If
Patrick
Note: This is part two of a rambling multi-volume re-read of the series. It will probably make better sense in context of other reviews...

In this volume, we get several cool stand-alone stories and our first longer story arc with a non-sandman character. It's good stuff. Clever and fun and smart. Everything you'd expect from Gaiman.

When I first read it, it wowed me. It was cool and real and mythic all at once.

Reading it now, I look back on my first-read-through self and smile fondly, thinking
Alejandro
An extraorDinary masterpiece!

Creative Team:

Writer: Neil Gaiman

Illustrators: Mike Dringenberg, Malcolm Jones III, Michael Zulli, Steve Parkhouse & Chris Bachalo

Letterer: Todd Klein

dOLLS & dREAMS

So, this is no man, no god, but something else.

You know that this TPB is something else when Clive Barker does the introduction!

While I only read (so far) four of the first TPBs of The Sandman, at least in this moment I have to say that this is the strongest storyline.

The first time that I st
Anne
2.5 stars...possibly 3?

I had forgotten why I stopped after volume 1.
Now I remember.
I see why everyone loves and reveres this title, I really do. It's just not my cuppa. It's just too dark and trippy for me, and the art isn't something that I actually enjoy looking at.
I'm not saying it's awful...I just don't like it!
I really wish I could say that I got all the deep introspective stuff that Gaiman was saying, but...
Truth?
I'm a few tiny steps away from being completely shallow and silly.
Especially
Andrew
Aug 29, 2007 Andrew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I used to stubbornly think that graphic novels had no intellectual merits other than for amateur entertainment (I know, pedestal). This series not only blew me away visually, but caused me to see graphic novels in a new light. Everyone should read this series.

Here's what i want to say, but someone else said it first and better than i could:
"Erudite, allusive, complex and ambitious, SANDMAN is undoubtedly the finest writing the mainstream comic book industry has ever seen. It dares to tell the st
Brad
One of my favourite lines in film is from Bull Durham. Annie Savoy (Susan Sarandon) asks Millie how the sex was with Ebby Calvin LaLoosh (Tim Robbins), and Millie says, "He kind of fucks like he throws, sorta all over the place." And that is EXACTLY how Neil Gaiman writes.

He has mad creative talent. There is no denying it. But too often that talent is uncontrolled, chaotic and even bafflingly silly. The Doll's House, written back when he was just becoming Neil Gaiman (and probably had editors f
Algernon

short review : WOW !!!

long form : The Sandman series gains in confidence and daring, leaves behind most of the influences from the original DC comic and takes flight on its own with the second volume. The eight issue story arc opens with Tales in the Sand : a look at the distant past of the Endless entity known as Dream. Like one of the Greek gods, he falls in love with a mortal - Nada, the queen of a prosperous African tribe. Their union is doomed, and all that remains is a cautionary tale ab
Sam Quixote
What do you do when you encounter a run of bad comics? Return to the ones you’ve read and loved before for a re-read! So it’s doubly disappointing when a comic you thought you enjoyed way back when turns out to be kinda crappy – even more so when it’s an acknowledged classic like The Sandman!

Morpheus has returned to the Dreamtime after being imprisoned for 70 years (see the first volume for how that came to be and how he escaped). He begins putting things to rights and sets off to round up his
Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost)
In this one, Morpheus discovers several of his creations escaped the Dreamland while he was imprisoned, so he has to go retrieve them. They are some pretty messed up beings too, especially The Corinthian. *shiver* He also discovers there is a new "vortex" in the shape of a teenage girl named Rose who threatens to damage the Dreaming.

This one was a bit too dark for me. It's got serial killers and child abuse in it and that goes way out of my comfort zone. I also just didn't really like the story
Anthony Chavez
Right now that this is currently my favorite Sandman book (Mind you this is only the 2nd volume). I read volume one "Preludes & Nocturnes" and liked it, but the beginning was a little slow and didn't grab me right away. That cannot be said for "The Doll's House," this volume hooked me from page one, and it didn't let up, I wanted to devour every page. Even when there is a side story in the middle of the book, I was still fascinated by the tale because I knew, Gaiman is going to make this awe ...more
Airiz C
While Morpheus starred in the forefront in Preludes and Nocturnes, he takes a backseat in The Doll’s House. Here, mortals—the Walkers—fueled the story.

The Doll’s House treads on the similar path as Preludes and Nocturnes. In the first volume, Morpheus has to find important talismans; in the second volume Morpheus has to seek for dreams that have escaped his realm and morphed into human forms in the wake of the chaotic events in P&N. We get introduced to Rose Walker, a dream vortex that was f
Jesse
Well, I must say right now that this is currently my favorite Sandman book. I read Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturns and really liked it, but there is a part in the middle of it that just didn't grab me. That cannot be said for "The Doll's House". I was hooked from page one, and only got more drawn into the book as it went. Even when there is a side story in the middle of the book, I was still fascinated by the tale. In fact I would say my favorite part of the book is the side story in the middle. ...more
Stephen
4.5 to 5.0 stars. As good as Preludes and Nocturnes was, it is in this second volume of the Sandman series that both the character and the evolving storyline comes into its own. After over a century of imprisonment, Morpheus returns to his realm to find Dreamland in disarray and proceeds to get things back in order. Gaiman continues his high level storytelling and we get to learn more about Sandman's siblings, the Endless. Great, great stuff.
Paul
The second volume of the Sandman series opens with a tale of an African Queen who falls in love with Morpheus himself. It is forbidden for mere mortals to fall in love with the dream king, and she suffers for it.

After this little sojourn, you are straight into the story properly. There are several stories and threads that weave their way through the narrative, Morpheus is trying to recover the position and authority that he held before, and you meet his cohorts. There is Rose, a teen who has ju
Ronyell
6 stars!!!

After reading Neil Gaiman’s first graphic novel in the “Sandman” series “Preludes and Nocturnes,” I just had to read more from this fantastic series and lo and behold, I have just picked up the second volume of the “Sandman” series, “The Doll’s House!” “The Doll’s House” is just as dark and gritty as the first volume and this will be a volume that fans will cherished for many years!

After the events of “Preludes and Nocturnes,” Dream (known as “The Sandman” or Morpheus) goes back and
Teresa
Much tighter than the first volume, with better storylines and some referential explanation of earlier events. Even the expected gore of certain sections, though it made me cringe, was well-done: social commentary is its purpose. I'm hoping certain characters (not the serial killers!) make reappearances in later volumes. The inventive story had me paging backwards, the ending reflecting back to the beginning, something I always love.
Ekairidium
Following the promising premise of Preludes and Nocturnes, this second volume became one of my favorite installments.

I believe this is the book of The Sandman series that captured not only my heart but my imagination in varying ways I did not expect it could. This is also the first time that Gaiman explored the vitality and freshness of his material and the result was a provocative examination of the unconscious and often catastrophic desires of human beings that are caught up in fulfilling su
Paul Nelson
First issue kicks off with Dream falling in love with a mortal queen named Nada; and she also falls in love with him. Dream is one of the Endless and Nada knows that they can never be together and she refuses to marry him, Dream sentences Nada to hell and her kingdom is ruined. This is one of several stories within the main story, each taking you into Dreams head a little at a time.

The main story thread starts in the second issue with a girl Rose Walker, who is the granddaughter of Unity Kincaid
J.G. Keely
Like most of these collections, there are several fairly strong stories but one which stands above the others. In this second installation, it is the convention of serial killers where Gaiman is able to tap into his sense of human nature and draw out something that is funny, terrifying, and well-written. Often, his archetypal main characters cannot hold a candle to the depth and complexity of the small throwaways such as Gaiman creates here.

Perhaps he is afraid of alienating the reader, and henc
Jonathan
Well that was impressively done. The more I read the more I am starting to understand and appreciate the techniques. It is a very difficult thing to create a mythic structure that feels true, that feels heavy and rich enough to have any power. I see why this has such a following.
Arielle Walker
Even darker and more twisted than the first, if that's possible, with interconnecting storylines that really pull you into the Sandman's world. Rose is an interesting character, and I hope that she makes more appearances in the next volumes. The "Convention of Collectors" was disgusting, perfectly so, and the Corinthian was the best part - although when I say "best", I really mean most terrifiying, but is that not the same thing here? There were more brilliant evil characters on one pag
Hanaa
Tremendously better than the first volume. This volume contained a lot of my own personal nightmares, along with how I feel about my own dreams and if they truly mean anything at all.

Anyway, I loved this graphic novel =)
Paige
I suppose I’m not much of a Neil Gaiman fan, which seems like a blasphemous statement on the internet. There are definitely things I like about this series, for example the mythology of “the endless,” the world building, the magic/fantastical aspect, and sometimes the writing and the mood. But out of this collection, I only really liked the first two stories. Then there was another one in the middle I liked too. Basically, the only stories I liked were those that weren’t part of the main storyli ...more
Ricardo
5 / 5

Imaginación a la máxima potencia. Una completa genialidad.

Reseña pendiente...
David Schaafsma
2nd reading of this volume, and I liked it even better, and though I am not exactly a fantasy nor horror buff, I was actually pretty moved by it all, in the end. Part of it is that I am rereading it and understanding the intertextual references better, the layering of effects. There's a lot of wonder in it, a lot of good writing, and Morpheus/Dream really comes alive, periodically visiting with one human he allows to be alive for centuries, so you get an historical sweep of his effects. We also ...more
Rauf
After reading Doll's House I know that I:

1. Should never fall in love with an Endless.

Who are the Endless?
They're 7 siblings with insurmountable power that have been around since before the dawn of time; Destiny. Death. Dream. Destruction. Desire. Despair. Delirium (she used to be Delight).

2. I now know Desire will always make you miserable.

3. I also know the original tale about the Little Red Riding Hood did not involve red riding hood or a happy ending.

4. When an Endless took part in an immac
Marfita
This falls into that category of Wow, Good But Don't Make Me Read It Again. I'm familiar with "Der Sandman" by E. T. A. Hoffmann but I took a chance on this book anyway. O Weh's mir!
This was a bit gruesome for me and I'm sorta glad it normally hides in the Adult Graphic Novels because "graphic" really describes it. Okay, you have to use a bit of your imagination to finish the picture, but ...
I'd like to know if stories like this satisfy the reptilian part of our brain and when order is restore
Hollis
I didn't like this as much as the first one, although it was still good. In the introduction, Clive Barker says that Gaiman assembles the Sandman stories like a ''demented cook'', throwing everything together and hoping that it sticks. That works sometimes: with this one, I just felt that Gaiman had stumbled several times into incoherence and wasn't keeping things together.

Also: am I the only person who noticed this? About two-thirds of the way through the story the only Chinese person in the co
Sookie
At first Gaiman's characters don't make sense. Its spectacular how he ties these characters together to tell a much bigger story. Couple of characters here have a great impact on final outcome of Dream himself, his destiny perpetually tied to them and their families.

Gaiman writes couple of stellar stand alone stories (Serial killer convention) which are downright creepy.
El
Great fun to be had in the second volume. During Dream's incarceration (see the first volume), three dreams got free into the real world and this edition is alls about Dream hunting them down. There's a bad-ass showdown at the strangest convention of collectors you ever did see, rivaling the excitement and weirdness of the first volume's fantastic diner massacre scene.

Yeah, I shouldn't be into it as much as I am.

More fantastic artistry in these pages, love love love Dave McKean's cover work (mar
  • Lucifer, Vol. 10: Morningstar
  • Fables, Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons (Fables, #5)
  • Promethea, Vol. 3

The Sandman (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Sandman: Overture (The Sandman, #0)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1)
  • Præludier (The Sandman)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 3: Dream Country (The Sandman #3)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 4: Season of Mists (The Sandman #4)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You (The Sandman #5)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 6: Fables and Reflections (The Sandman #6)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 7: Brief Lives  (The Sandman #7)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 8: Worlds' End (The Sandman, #8)
  • The Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones (The Sandman #9)
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere The Ocean at the End of the Lane

“For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.” 181 likes
“Love belongs to Desire. And Desire is always Cruel. -Old Man” 58 likes