Start by marking “Black Sea Affair” as Want to Read:
Black Sea Affair

Black Sea Affair (Navy Justice #4)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  25 reviews
As the U.S. Navy searches for weapons-grade plutonium that has been smuggled by terrorists out of Russia, a submarine mishap in the Black Sea brings the United States and Russia to the brink of nuclear war. It is a race against the clock, with Russian missiles activated and programmed for American cities.
Published May 26th 2009 by Zondervan (first published June 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Black Sea Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Sea Affair

Leo
It took me a little while to warm up to this book. It didn't help that it ticked me off in the first chapter. They set up a really interesting idea and then copped out on it. It was something that might work in a movie to get your attention, but in a book it was just plain tacky. I was also a little bit peeved at myself for not paying more attention when I picked it out thinking it was DAN Brown instead of DON Brown. Also, the book features the submarine USS Honolulu, which in and of itself is n ...more
Debbie
"Black Sea Affair" is a Christian military thriller. It's the fourth in a series, but the connecting character was a very minor character in this book. I didn't need to read the previous books to understand this one.

There were a fairly large number of point-of-view characters from all sides of the conflict, yet the author skillfully maintained uncertainty about several closely timed events involving those characters. The suspense was high from the first page to the last. The suspense was created
Jerry
A Quickie Review

I'll be the first to admit that I am not a military enthusiast. Though I have the utmost respect for those who have served and defended our nation, all the terminology and technology is as foreign to me as Pokémon was to most adults back when it first became popular. Even when it comes to my entertainment diet, most of the movies and books I consume that have soldiers of some sort are either sci-fi/fantasy (Star Wars) or take place long ago (Gods and Generals). Maybe I should che
Eddie Snipes
This book has a lot of churchy jargon, which I don't particularly enjoy reading. The idea of the story was good, but I kept asking myself why the military took such illogical actions. This won't give away the plot since it is revealed up front.

A special crew is organized to go into the Black Sea to sink a freighter that is smuggling a nuclear weapon from Russia. A sub had to go through a narrow strait to get into the Black Sea to intercept a freighter that they knew would head for main ocean. T
Ralph
3.75 out of 5
Reminds me of Hunt for Red October and other early Tom Clancy novels. Lots of riveting, high stakes action that caused me to lose sleep staying up for just one more chapter. I wasn't sure what to expect from this novel, but it turned out to be most enjoyable for me.

Mr. Brown is a Christian writer and when Christian beliefs are woven into the characters, it is done realistic and natural way, with no sense of preaching or prothetizing.

stormhawk
I got this book as a free Kindle download, but I would have been willing to pay for it. It's a rollercoaster ride of submarine warfare and international diplomacy and saber-rattling that keeps you reading. I didn't want to put this book down, so much so that I downloaded an extra copy to my phone so I could continue to read while I was away from my Kindle!

Unlike the other books in the Naval Justice series by Don Brown (Treason, Hostage, and Defiance), the focus is not on Zack Brewer's Legal wra
Katy
I'd give the action in this book 4 stars, and the storyline up until the very end was 4-star worthy as well. The ending was very disappointing. And the cameo by Zach Brewer was unnecessary. There were also several nonsensical editorial errors. At the beginning if the book there was mention of the Council of Ishmael, but then they were never mentioned again. Why were all the Russian men called by their first and middle names throughout the book? And why were their names all so similar that it was ...more
Sue Mattocks
Black Sea Affair

Good reading - very suspenseful! Enjoyed it very much. My only complaint would be it skipped around a great seat and sometimes I had trouble keeping up with each segment.
Dianne
great book! This author is fantastic! He can really put together a complex plot from many angles without overpowering the reader. Excellent book for military suspense lovers
Liquid Frost
So, I read this book for free and it was worth far more than the money. I have read worse! I found it a bit odd that there was no reference to Diane - very odd. The one thing that I did enjoy - the absence of the love/infatuation with Zack. My thoughts during the first three - which does Brown love more - his God or Zack? Again, I find it odd that Diane was not referenced once - I don't think I skimmed the book and missed it?
David
A well written story set against the backdrop of nuclear war between Russia and the USA in the post cold war environment which starts with terrorists who seize Russian plutonium and an American sub entering the Black Sea to stop them. The fate of a dozen Ukrainian orphans (and the entire world) hangs in the balance. It reminded me of Red Alert (Peter George). I got this as a free download for Kindle from Amazon.com
Bruce
This was a different type of book for Don Brown. Most of it was NOT about JAGs. He did a great job. The plot had a number of different elements. There were some great twists. And the ending was very good. If you've read Don Brown's other books, then you will like this one also.
Amber Moore
I had a heck of a time getting throught this book it was good then not good for a long time. I am glad this is the last one by this author that I have. If you like to have every step they make and every breath explained to you then this is author for you!
Peter Jones
Apparently, I misunderstood the ending of book 3 and assumed there would be more to the story arc in 4: there wasn't. Instead, this book was barely connected to the rest of the series. That said, it was an entertaining Red October knockoff.
Larry
I have really enjoyed Don Brown's books. He is a Christian writer, but weaves prayer and faith in the Savior very well into his stories. Highly recommend this book. Number four in his Navy Justice Series.
Rick Austin
Good read. Not as engaging as the last book I read by this author but a nice escape from my normal reading fare :-)
Kathleen Anderson
Another gripper. Pretty intense situation with terrorists and getting a sub into the Black Sea.
Dbroder74
USN sub sneaks into Black Sea to sink Russian ship suspected of carrying nuclear materials
Scott
I loved it! Wish the libraries around here carried more Don Brown books.
Paul Hafer
Liked the book, loved the series. Only downside was the religious tones
Burt
Terrible. Jesus wants a USN Captain to disobey orders. I don't think so.
R Bartel
As with the rest of his books - a tremendous read.
Jody
This was a great story and a quick read.
Rick
Better than other Don Brown other books
Tom Turpin
Tom Turpin is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2015
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Mary Onstead
Mary Onstead marked it as to-read
Stanley E. Bokoski
Stanley E. Bokoski marked it as to-read
Kay Lee
Kay Lee is currently reading it
  • Monday Night Jihad
  • Dark Pursuit
  • By Reason of Insanity
  • Midnight in Madrid (The Russian Trilogy #2)
  • Unbreakable (Shadow Destroyers, #1)
  • Hostile Intent (Devlin, #1)
  • My Name Is Russell Fink
  • Primitive
  • Vanish
  • The Almost True Story of Ryan Fisher
  • The Mark (Henry Parker, #1)
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • Urge To Kill (Frank Quinn, #4)
  • Tumor
  • Strings Attached  (Tales from Ballena Beach, #1)
  • Motorcycles, Sushi & One Strange Book (Real Life, #1)
  • Stranded with a Spy (Code Name: Danger #11)
  • 72 Hours (Devlin Group, #1)

DON BROWN, a former U.S. Navy JAG Officer, is the author of Zondervan’s riveting NAVY JUSTICE SERIES. a dynamic storyline chronicling the life and adventures of JAG officer ZACK BREWER. In 2003, Don began writing TREASON, his first novel in the NAVY JUSTICE SERIES. After TREASON was published to rave reviews in
More about Don Brown...

Navy Justice (4 books)
  • Treason (Navy Justice #1)
  • Hostage (Navy Justice #2)
  • Defiance (Navy Justice #3)
Treason (Navy Justice #1) Hostage (Navy Justice #2) The Malacca Conspiracy Defiance (Navy Justice #3) Thunder in the Morning Calm (Pacific Rim #1)