Start by marking “The Book of Renfield: A Gospel of Dracula” as Want to Read:
The Book of Renfield: A Gospel of Dracula

The Book of Renfield: A Gospel of Dracula

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  107 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
When we first meet Renfield in Dracula, he is a tortured soul in decline, a fly-gobbling, Scripture-quoting lunatic who acts as a haunted harbinger of Dracula's arrival in England. At the novel's climax, readers discover that Renfield, under restraint in the asylum of Dr. John Seward, has been in psychic communication with Dracula all along, acting as his eyes and ears in ...more
Published June 2nd 2005 by Touchstone (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Renfield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Renfield

Nick Miranda
Aug 03, 2011 Nick Miranda rated it really liked it
One of the great things about this book is the style in which Lucas tells the story. Voiced in the narrative of Dr. Jack Seward, this book fills in the gaps in his and Renfield's tale omitted by Stoker. Another key element to this novel is that Lucas does a wonderful job of copying the Victorian dialect and mannerisms used by Stoker so that it reads like missing chapters of the original novel instead of a mere companion.
Oogmar
Dec 29, 2009 Oogmar rated it really liked it
This is a book I would recommend to anybody who even sort-of enjoyed Dracula. The style is a bit brisker, smarter, but holds to the same patina of dread that makes the first book so suspenseful.

I finished it during a four hour tattoo session. I had no problem keeping my attention on the book. If that's not interesting, I don't know what is.
Elizabeth
Sep 06, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book from Renfield's point of view. Edgy, and well written.
Jolene
Sep 29, 2013 Jolene rated it really liked it
IF YOU LOVE BRAM STOKER'S "DRACULA", YOU'LL LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!

RENFIELD HAS BEEN INSTITUTIONALIZED IN THE CARFAX ASYLUM BEING TREATED BY DR. JOHN SEWARD. IN THIS BOOK YOU READ RENFIELD, VAN HELSING, & SEWARD'S CONVERSATIONS IN THE BEGINNING, AS IF YOU ARE READING A LONG LOST INTERVIEW OR SOMETHING. THERE IS A LETTER (AFTER THIS LOST INTERVIEW OR SOMETHING ) WRITTEN BY DR. JOHN SEWARD FOR THE READERS TO READ, THEN AS THE BOOK GOES ON YOU ARE READING DR. JOHN SEWARD'S DIARY.THEN THERE ARE SOME
Rachel
Jan 08, 2013 Rachel rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish this book. I started it, didn't care for it, put it aside and read two other books thinking I'd come back to it, but I lost interest altogether. I had no compulsion to find out what happened. I made it one-quarter of the way through. It was just strange. The book focuses on Renfield's history all the way from his childhood. His childhood memories as related by Renfield himself seem highly unrealistic. Like he was putting his own spin on interpreting his childhood as he went. Ov ...more
Susan
Mar 12, 2013 Susan rated it did not like it
When I started this book, I was interested in a backstory tale that would give some accessibility to the crazed charter in Stoker's book. Unfortunately, what I got was a story so convoluted and loaded with arcane mysticism that I eventually gave up. I never did care about this character; I felt no empathy for him and found the continual barrage of weirdness for weirdness' sake to be tiring. The imagery is good, but the filling in of every crevice in every character with whatever ill struck the w ...more
Brett
Oct 05, 2015 Brett rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Not an ostensibly bad book but one I won't finish. I wanted to read the story of Redfield and not the doctor who sometimes talks to him for a while. It's not terrible but it isn't what I wanted or what was advertised.
Eomicheli
Mar 01, 2011 Eomicheli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great follow-up to Bram Stoker's Dracula. We see deeply into Renfield's life and as a bonus, come to know Jack Seward much better. I liked this as an adddendum to Dracula, and have given it 4 stars. In retrospect, I wish I could give Dracula 4.5 stars as I liked the variety of characters and locations that were developed by Stoker.
Dan
Jan 30, 2011 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent novel, I couldn't put it down. Any fan of Bram Stoker's Dracula will appreciate and enjoy this book. Tim Lucas does a masterful job of conveying his interpretation of Stoker's Renfield; essentially "filling in the blanks" in the life of the oddest and least understood character in Dracula.
Angela Render
Apr 20, 2015 Angela Render rated it liked it
I just couldn't get into it. The writing is in that pompous style of the late 1800's (the setting of Bram Stoker's Dracula). In that, it was extremely well written. Just not for me. I couldn't finish it.
Sue
Jun 04, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it
Excellent book hat focuses on two of the characters in Bram Stoker's Dracula. The reader learns more about Renfield and also about Dr. Seward. Renfield's past is fascinating and knowing how it fits in to the Dracula storyline makes it all that much more interesting.
A. E. S.
Sep 01, 2014 A. E. S. rated it it was ok
Shelves: vampire-lore
Only read this if you're a die-hard fan of Renfield and want to know about his tragic past. Although "Our Holy Bewhiskered Mother of Patchwork" to describe Jolly under a blanket was the cutest, funniest part in the entire novel!
Nightraine
Feb 23, 2011 Nightraine rated it really liked it
This was good for the most part, but it kind of left me a little perplexed at the end. If you like Dracula, you will be interested in the life of Renfield. He was acutally one of my favorite characters in Dracula.
Patti
Jul 16, 2011 Patti rated it liked it
It was interesting. You got to learn more about the man Renfield, and how he got involved with Dracula. Interesting read, and I would recommend it to anyone who likes the Vampire genre or the story of Dracula.
Bibliofiendlm
Aug 05, 2015 Bibliofiendlm rated it it was amazing
Dracula from the most interesting character's point of view ;)
Adrian
Jul 30, 2010 Adrian rated it did not like it
ODD beyond odd.
Sara Kreps
Sara Kreps marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Hexe
Hexe marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
MaryLou (Tarrant)Rieves
MaryLou (Tarrant)Rieves marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Beth
Beth added it
Jun 18, 2016
Tonya Cate
Tonya Cate marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Kerry Dean
Kerry Dean marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Mary Emmanuelle LLenos
Mary Emmanuelle LLenos marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Donna Gosser
Donna Gosser marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
April Chase
April Chase marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
trish loveless
trish loveless marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Zhenya Voskresenskaya
Zhenya Voskresenskaya marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Angie Ayala
Angie Ayala marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
  • The Ultimate Dracula: New Stories by Some of the World's Leading Authors
  • Oglaf Book Two
  • The Journal of Professor Abraham Van Helsing
  • The Fate of Mice
  • Angel & Faith: What You Want, Not What You Need (Angel & Faith, #5)
  • Tall Stories:  Expecting Someone Taller and Ye Gods
  • The Time of Feasting
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 4
  • Underwood and Flinch

“Repetition opens doors, you know?” 4 likes
“An introspective man who doesn’t keep a diary consigns himself to a special hell” 2 likes