Start by marking “Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible: A Reader's Guide” as Want to Read:
Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible: A Reader's Guide

Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible: A Reader's Guide (Continuum Contemporaries)

Continuum Contemporaries will be a wonderful source of ideas and inspiration for members of book clubs and readings groups, as well as for literature students.The aim of the series is to give readers accessible and informative introductions to 30 of the most popular, most acclaimed, and most influential novels of recent years. A team of contemporary fiction scholars from b ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Bloomsbury Academic

To ask other readers questions about Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible

Peter
Jan 02, 2015 Peter rated it really liked it
The story being told through the eyes of the four females enabled a range of view points to be expressed giving a wider insight to their situations. Our Western culture was shown to be duplicite with the bigoted Christian missionary more interested in his own glory than the best interest of the local Congolese and the US using any means to overthrow a legitimately elected communist government to further their own aims.

The mothers description of loosing a child was brilliantly written giving an i
Sue
Jan 12, 2009 Sue rated it it was amazing
I have a first edition from this most trusted author. Her non-fiction is superb. I have loved all of her novels but this is a masterpiece. I learned about the Congo and the US culpability - isn't this timely, AGAIN, in 2009.
Hank Fay
Jul 01, 2015 Hank Fay rated it it was amazing
Impossible to look at our "civilized" world from the same perspective, when so many other perspectives have been brilliantly and lastingly imprinted.
Nina Milton
Jun 18, 2013 Nina Milton rated it really liked it
The Price family carry everything they think they’ll need with them on a lumbering late fifties plane and flew to the Belgian Congo as Nathan Price draged his wife and four daughters to in yet another missionary post; a village called Kilanga on the Kwilu River in the summer of 1959 and follows three decades of postcolonial Africa.
Creating the voice of a character that feels realistic, authentic and engrossing is one of the most difficult parts of creating a narrative, but creative five indepen
Teresa Lashbrook leonard
1 1/2. Not much here to enlighten your reading experience of the novel. I think the high marks for this readers guide are due to confusion of thinking this is the actual novel"Poisonwood Bible".
Snyder, Donna
Nov 05, 2015 Snyder, Donna rated it it was amazing
On my list of top 25 books ever read! First 150 pages not too great. Stick with it...gets better!!
Dawn
Nov 20, 2015 Dawn rated it it was amazing
This book truly changed my life. It remains the only book I've ever read twice.
Una
Jul 17, 2011 Una rated it it was amazing
It was a slow start to this epic saga of family ,of imperialism ,of the triumph of the human spirit over overwhelming odds in a Congo ravaged by foreign greed and local betrayal . Well worth pursuing to the end.Intensely researched and beautifully written.A must read for anyone thinking of working in a developing country or even working with people from other cultures.
Carol
Apr 07, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing
This was an absolutely amazing book. It remains one of my favorites and I have read everything else she has written. Just awesome..
Surina Knott-craig
Sep 22, 2011 Surina Knott-craig rated it it was amazing
Will always remember this book - touched my heart!!!
Darci
Jun 30, 2011 Darci rated it liked it
She's a great writer...the story was just sad.
Frank Schapitl
Sep 15, 2013 Frank Schapitl rated it it was amazing
A fantastic novel that I was to see end
Virginia
Jun 14, 2013 Virginia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: completed
Highly recommended
Jake
Jake rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Laura marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2016
Clynch
Clynch marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Cara
Cara rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Gerry
Gerry marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Kathe
Kathe added it
Jun 30, 2016
Cheryll Robinson
Cheryll Robinson marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Nancyla3
Nancyla3 marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Aleah Brost
Aleah Brost rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Tara Leaver
Tara Leaver marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Kay
Kay added it
May 29, 2016
Sue Sayer
Sue Sayer rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Homeland / The Bean Trees / Pigs in Heaven
  • The Nostradamus Secret (Danforth Saga Book 3)
  • The Arm and the Darkness
  • Night and Horses and the Desert: An Anthology of Classical Arabic Literature
  • Gilmore Girls and the Politics of Identity: Essays on Family and Feminism in the Television Series
  • Stretching Lessons: The Daring that Starts from Within
  • The Art of Imperfection: Simple Ways to Make Peace with Yourself
  • Postcards: True Stories That Never Happened
  • Sylvia Long's Mother Goose
  • F. Scott Fitzgerald's the Great Gatsby (Modern Critical Interpretations)
  • The King of Thieves (Knights Templar, #26)
  • Up Island and Low Country
  • Orange County: A Personal History
  • جدلية الزمن
  • Welcome to the Wisdom of the World and Its Meaning for You: Universal Spiritual Insights Distilled from Five Religious Traditions
  • Sade/Fourier/Loyola
  • Hello Darlin': Tall (and Absolutely True) Tales About My Life
  • Greene on Capri

Continuum Contemporaries (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest: A Reader's Guide