Frost on my Moustache: The Arctic Exploits of a Lord and a Loafer

Frost on my Moustache: The Arctic Exploits of a Lord and a Loafer

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  288 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Guided by the fastidious journals of an eminent Victorian adventurer by the name of Lord Dufferin, Time Moore sets off to prove his mettle in the most stunningly inhospitable place on Earth-the Arctic. Armed only with his searing wit, wicked humor, and seasickness pills, our pale suburbanite-wracked by second thoughts of tactical retreat-confronts mind-numbing cold, blood-...more
Published February 9th 2001 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 6th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Frost on my Moustache, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frost on my Moustache

Jim
This is a book that made me laugh and cry. I cried because the hardbound edition I owned had glued signatures that apparently used reject adhesive from Russian Post-It notes and dissolved as I turned the pages. It wouldn't have mattered if I hated the book, because I could then hurl it at the wall and watch it explode like a pressure-cooker bomb. But I loved the book, and found in Tim Moore a kindred spirit who could send me into gales of guffaws.

Frost on my Moustache: The Arctic Exploits of a L...more
Brian
Vomit - Verb, to disgorge see also: Spew, Ruminate, sick, chunder, hurl, throw up.
There's a lot of ways to say the same thing, and if you are constantly seasick travel author Tim Moore, even more ways to experience it! In keeping with the travel theme of the summer reading program I decided to reach deep into the catalog for a title by one of my favorite, albeit, not well known in the states, writers. What do you get if you mixed Bill Bryson with the cast of Monty Python and left the resulting...more
Liz
I’ll admit that I almost gave up on Tim Moore after reading The Grand Tour and not really enjoying it very much. However, I had already purchased this book, and so I felt obligated to at least give it a chance. I’m so glad I did! This is the tale of the author’s attempt to follow in the footsteps of the indomitable British adventurer Lord Dufferin, who in the nineteenth century journeyed into the Arctic on a wooden yacht, and then wrote a wildly popular (at the time) book about it. While the aut...more
Jennifer Delamere
I picked this up because 1)I am considering a trip to Iceland, and 2)the author follows the itinerary of Lord Dufferin, who made the trip during the mid-Victorian era, a time-frame I'm so interested in because I've set my own books during that time.

The book was very funny and I loved his descriptions. The only thing I found slightly off-putting was that he acted in every way like a single man/slacker, including many irresponsibly dangerous adventures, even though he had a wife and two small chil...more
James
Have I mentioned I'm in love? It's just a literary love affair, but those can be as satisfying and less messy than the real thing. Tim Moore is the object of my affection. The witty, wordy-wise travel writer can do no wrong in my book. Or in his.

In his first adventure, Moore follows the footsteps of a Victorian lord. It's a journey that takes him across Iceland and up to the Arctic, giving him ample scope to show off his talents for nautical incompetence and sensational seasickness, not to menti...more
William
If you can get past the first 10 pages or so, which tend toward the confusing (it is Moore's first book!), the rest of his narrative -- the recreation of an expedition led by Lord Dufferin in the mid-19th century -- is very entertaining. Funny and fascinating Arctic experiences. One minor flaw is that numerous references are made to British popular culture form the late 20th century (such as TV shows or public personalities) that mean little to American readers. Sharp and witty, nonetheless.
Klara
Jun 23, 2010 Klara rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Armchair travelers.
Shelves: iceland, nonfiction
I must admit, I didn't know Lord Dufferin or Svalbard existed until I read this book. Therein, though, lies the beauty of the book. Moore's account of his adventures presents an intellectual journey as well as a rousing travelogue: the likable, relatable narrator successfully grabs and holds readers' interest as he researches Lord Dufferin just as well as when he ventures abroad. The author relates his exploits with an appealing mix of humility and humor reminiscent of Bill Bryson; I sympathized...more
Hannah
Another journey full of slapstick and satire with Mr Moore. The historical narrative of Lord Dufferin's adventures through the Arctic was interesting and Tim's reconstructions enjoyable to read about. I just didn't enjoy this book as much as others by this author. The narrative dragged on a bit in places leaving my mind wandering and was a little repetitive in places (a bit like this review). But still an enjoyable read with an interesting tale to tell.
Susan
Sep 29, 2008 Susan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like travel memoirs and slapstick comedy
Recommended to Susan by: the bargain bin at JR's giant redneck store in North Carolina
Laugh out loud funny. No, I really mean it. Tim Moore is a British journalist who decides to re-enact Lord Dufferin's voyage to the arctic. What? You don't know who Lord Dufferin is? It doesn't matter, you'll learn.

Here is one passage where Moore describes his feelings on attempting to secure passage on a Viking ship to cross the North Sea: "The whole endeavour was plainly both overambitious and disasterously inept. Of all the adjectives I could apply to boats in which I would not want to cross...more
Alonzo
I first attempted to read the paperback, but couldn't get into it...

Then, I found the audio-book; listening sometimes helps with inflections, pauses, etc. which a reader may miss in print. The audio-book is narrated by Richard Greenwood and is hilarious. I laughed aloud in the middle of the night while listening to the uproarious things this guy did; I literally had tears in my eyes and nearly lost my breath laughing so hard. My wife thought I was having some kind of attack!

If you need a good l...more
Coffeeboss
May 19, 2007 Coffeeboss rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Humorous travel writing
This is one of the funniest travel essay books I've ever read. Tim Moore decides to follow the path of a not-so-famous British explorer from the 1850s named Lord Dufferin. Moore follows the route on boat, bike, and plane, taking him through the northern climes of Iceland, Norway, and Spitzbergen. Moore is a decidedly wimpy traveler, which makes his tale all the more hilarious. Let's just say there is much humiliation and sea-sickness vomiting to be had. I laughed out loud many times while readin...more
catherine
moore retraces the path of a 19th century a english lord's (mostly) sailing tour through parts of scandinavia. the journey itself sounded interesting (as does dufferin's original text), but i was disappointed in the writing. definitely a british humor, and not a travelogue. and it's *very* british, which i don't have much of a taste for. moore's a decent craftsman, but i just don't enjoy his tone. dufferin went on to become some early canadian statesman, which was a fun fact for me, as "dufferin...more
Lester
A book with many ridiculous statements!! A great way to read a travel diary..yep..Tim Moore does a grand job of teaching whilst being entertained!
I looked up Spitzbergen and it is amazingly beautiful. A bit of trivia; On Spitzbergen is the Svalbard Global Seed Vault..started storage in 1984 in an abandoned coal mine..official opening was Feb. 26, 2008. This would be a fine travel plan for me..go to Norway..over to Spitzbergen and see if anyone would 'hahahah' give me a tour of the Seed Vault!
Iñaki Tofiño
Found it in a hotel in Galle, Sri lanka, and took it just to have something to read (forgive me, father, for I have sinned...). It has turned out to be a great travelogue, funny, witty, sometimes plain silly, but always interesting.
A contemporary Englishman, Tim Moore, the loafer, follows the steps of a Victorian gentleman, Lord Dufferin, through Iceland and Arctic Norwegian regions in what is a description of former/modern endurance and character. Quite recommendable!
Marjorie Elwood
This was amusing: the best portions were centered around his actual travels. The first portion of the book was about his antics with a titled somebody and I found that a little tedious - the "oh, I'm such an idiot and not worthy of your company" kind of thing. But he redeemed himself somewhat later on and I appreciated that his journey had a theme and wasn't totally random.
russell barnes
Tim Moore's first book and it shows; it's scatty in places, the reason he's off on the trip isn't really that clear and the prose is a bit wonky.

However, it's still a pretty good read and interesting to see where the genius of continental drifter, french revolutions and spanish steps began.
Paul Tisserant
An enjoyable read as the not-quite-feckless writer follows in the footsteps of a forgotten Victorian legend. his journey takes him to Iceland, the land of his wife, through Norway and for an all-too-long stay in Svalbard. Told with humour and an almost 'we're doomed, all doomed, I tell yer' tone. recommended.
daysgoby
I often think when I'm reading English fiction that there must be a lot I miss...not knowing the tone of voice, or a lot of the background jokes.

This book was much the same, with the exception of a few chapters - notably one HILARIOUS retelling of a boat voyage...
effie
I literally cry every single time I read this book...from laughing so hard. it is my comfort book. I quote it all the time. YOU GUYS I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH.
go read it now. stay close to the commodore and observe his movements.
Robin
I need more Tim Moore books now that I'm no longer traveling along with him to the Arctic Circle.
Lynda
Just read the section about authors travels (travails) through Iceland. I enjoyed it, but would have read further if it had drawn me in more strongly. Moore is a funny author, and can ride a bike, too. : )
Katie
Not as tightly focused or as funny as his later books - my attention drifted during the first hundred pages and a few of the later passages - but still has plenty of self-loathing British humor.
Kevin
Loved this man's view of life, he observes, comments and made me laugh in every way. I felt total empathy with every step he took on what was a real adventure for the curious.
Erin
I really love Tim Moore, and am so sad that my library system does not carry his books. He's a serious contender for Bill Bryson's title of king of comic travelogues.
Susan Carlson
I laughed SO hard while reading this book. Not hugely insightful, not fantastically well-written, but I adored the narrator's voice.
Rachel
Not that great a read. Not as good as some of his others. Perhaps it's just that the Arctic doesn't excite me that much.
Alyson Zikmund
Eh. I usually tear through travel narratives but for some reason couldn't get into this one. Too cute, maybe?
Martha
Even though I did not get a lot of the British cultural references, this is one of my favorite books EVER!
Tom
  • Among the Russians
  • Paddle to the Amazon: The Ultimate 12,000-Mile Canoe Adventure
  • The Divided Mind: The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders
  • This Cold Heaven: Seven Seasons in Greenland
  • My Oedipus Complex and Other Stories (Penguin Classics)
  • The Man Who Ate His Boots: The Tragic History of the Search for the Northwest Passage
  • 101 Reykjavik
  • The Last Viking: The Life of Roald Amundsen
  • A Yank Back to England: The Prodigal Tourist Returns
Tim Moore is a British travel writer and humorist. He was educated at Latymer Upper School in Hammersmith. In addition to his seven published travelogues to date, his writings have appeared in various publications including Esquire, The Sunday Times, The Independent, The Observer and the Evening Standard. He was also briefly a journalist for the Teletext computer games magazine Digitiser, under th...more
More about Tim Moore...
French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago Do Not Pass Go Continental Drifter You are Awful (But I Like You): Travels Around Unloved Britain