Start by marking “Frost On My Moustache” as Want to Read:
Frost On My Moustache

Frost On My Moustache

Inspired by the swashbuckling travelogues of Victorian diplomat Lord Dufferin, frail surburbanite Tim Moore sets out to prove his physical and spiritual worth before his sceptical Nordic in-laws by retracing Dufferin's epic voyage to Iceland and Spitzbergen. Dufferin's battles with icebergs, polar bears and the deep potations of hospitable Norsemen is a tale of derring-do; ...more
Paperback
Published January 1st 2000 by Little Brown and Company (first published April 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Frost On My Moustache, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frost On My Moustache

Jim
Apr 23, 2013 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that made me laugh and cry. I cried because the hardbound edition I owned had glued signatures that apparently used reject adhesive from Russian Post-It notes and dissolved as I turned the pages. It wouldn't have mattered if I hated the book, because I could then hurl it at the wall and watch it explode like a pressure-cooker bomb. But I loved the book, and found in Tim Moore a kindred spirit who could send me into gales of guffaws.

Frost on my Moustache: The Arctic Exploits of a L
Liz
Feb 17, 2009 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I’ll admit that I almost gave up on Tim Moore after reading The Grand Tour and not really enjoying it very much. However, I had already purchased this book, and so I felt obligated to at least give it a chance. I’m so glad I did! This is the tale of the author’s attempt to follow in the footsteps of the indomitable British adventurer Lord Dufferin, who in the nineteenth century journeyed into the Arctic on a wooden yacht, and then wrote a wildly popular (at the time) book about it. While the aut ...more
Brian
Jul 05, 2011 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Vomit - Verb, to disgorge see also: Spew, Ruminate, sick, chunder, hurl, throw up.
There's a lot of ways to say the same thing, and if you are constantly seasick travel author Tim Moore, even more ways to experience it! In keeping with the travel theme of the summer reading program I decided to reach deep into the catalog for a title by one of my favorite, albeit, not well known in the states, writers. What do you get if you mixed Bill Bryson with the cast of Monty Python and left the resulting
Vikas Datta
Aug 14, 2015 Vikas Datta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superbly funny.... brings an old Victorian nobleman and his exploits to life and replicates them in the modern era but with more disastrous consequences.. and of course, Lord Dufferin's valet Wilson was a Marvin the Paranoid Android of his time...
Lindsey
Tim Moore's self-deprecating Arctic travels. Funny enough in a 30-something, boyish kind of way, but not 280 pages funny. More like two columns in a magazine funny.
James
May 05, 2010 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Have I mentioned I'm in love? It's just a literary love affair, but those can be as satisfying and less messy than the real thing. Tim Moore is the object of my affection. The witty, wordy-wise travel writer can do no wrong in my book. Or in his.

In his first adventure, Moore follows the footsteps of a Victorian lord. It's a journey that takes him across Iceland and up to the Arctic, giving him ample scope to show off his talents for nautical incompetence and sensational seasickness, not to menti
Jennifer Delamere
Sep 19, 2012 Jennifer Delamere rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because 1)I am considering a trip to Iceland, and 2)the author follows the itinerary of Lord Dufferin, who made the trip during the mid-Victorian era, a time-frame I'm so interested in because I've set my own books during that time.

The book was very funny and I loved his descriptions. The only thing I found slightly off-putting was that he acted in every way like a single man/slacker, including many irresponsibly dangerous adventures, even though he had a wife and two small chil
Klara
May 24, 2010 Klara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Armchair travelers.
Shelves: iceland, nonfiction
I must admit, I didn't know Lord Dufferin or Svalbard existed until I read this book. Therein, though, lies the beauty of the book. Moore's account of his adventures presents an intellectual journey as well as a rousing travelogue: the likable, relatable narrator successfully grabs and holds readers' interest as he researches Lord Dufferin just as well as when he ventures abroad. The author relates his exploits with an appealing mix of humility and humor reminiscent of Bill Bryson; I sympathized ...more
Susan
Sep 29, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like travel memoirs and slapstick comedy
Recommended to Susan by: the bargain bin at JR's giant redneck store in North Carolina
Laugh out loud funny. No, I really mean it. Tim Moore is a British journalist who decides to re-enact Lord Dufferin's voyage to the arctic. What? You don't know who Lord Dufferin is? It doesn't matter, you'll learn.

Here is one passage where Moore describes his feelings on attempting to secure passage on a Viking ship to cross the North Sea: "The whole endeavour was plainly both overambitious and disasterously inept. Of all the adjectives I could apply to boats in which I would not want to cross
Alonzo
I first attempted to read the paperback, but couldn't get into it...

Then, I found the audio-book; listening sometimes helps with inflections, pauses, etc. which a reader may miss in print. The audio-book is narrated by Richard Greenwood and is hilarious. I laughed aloud in the middle of the night while listening to the uproarious things this guy did; I literally had tears in my eyes and nearly lost my breath laughing so hard. My wife thought I was having some kind of attack!

If you need a good l
Coffeeboss
May 19, 2007 Coffeeboss rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Humorous travel writing
This is one of the funniest travel essay books I've ever read. Tim Moore decides to follow the path of a not-so-famous British explorer from the 1850s named Lord Dufferin. Moore follows the route on boat, bike, and plane, taking him through the northern climes of Iceland, Norway, and Spitzbergen. Moore is a decidedly wimpy traveler, which makes his tale all the more hilarious. Let's just say there is much humiliation and sea-sickness vomiting to be had. I laughed out loud many times while readin ...more
catherine
moore retraces the path of a 19th century a english lord's (mostly) sailing tour through parts of scandinavia. the journey itself sounded interesting (as does dufferin's original text), but i was disappointed in the writing. definitely a british humor, and not a travelogue. and it's *very* british, which i don't have much of a taste for. moore's a decent craftsman, but i just don't enjoy his tone. dufferin went on to become some early canadian statesman, which was a fun fact for me, as "dufferin ...more
Hannah
Apr 21, 2014 Hannah rated it liked it
Another journey full of slapstick and satire with Mr Moore. The historical narrative of Lord Dufferin's adventures through the Arctic was interesting and Tim's reconstructions enjoyable to read about. I just didn't enjoy this book as much as others by this author. The narrative dragged on a bit in places leaving my mind wandering and was a little repetitive in places (a bit like this review). But still an enjoyable read with an interesting tale to tell.
Anna
Oct 15, 2015 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir-biography
I read this because I found it on lists of books to read when going to Iceland. I didn't make it very far before going but I think it actually was better to read it after having been there as I better understood what he was talking about during the Iceland section. I probably would have liked the rest of the book better if I had been to the other places on this madcap trip. As it was I got rather tired of his drinking and moaning by the end of the book.
William
Mar 09, 2014 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
If you can get past the first 10 pages or so, which tend toward the confusing (it is Moore's first book!), the rest of his narrative -- the recreation of an expedition led by Lord Dufferin in the mid-19th century -- is very entertaining. Funny and fascinating Arctic experiences. One minor flaw is that numerous references are made to British popular culture form the late 20th century (such as TV shows or public personalities) that mean little to American readers. Sharp and witty, nonetheless.
Iñaki Tofiño
Aug 26, 2011 Iñaki Tofiño rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found it in a hotel in Galle, Sri lanka, and took it just to have something to read (forgive me, father, for I have sinned...). It has turned out to be a great travelogue, funny, witty, sometimes plain silly, but always interesting.
A contemporary Englishman, Tim Moore, the loafer, follows the steps of a Victorian gentleman, Lord Dufferin, through Iceland and Arctic Norwegian regions in what is a description of former/modern endurance and character. Quite recommendable!
Lester
Mar 12, 2013 Lester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book with many ridiculous statements!! A great way to read a travel diary..yep..Tim Moore does a grand job of teaching whilst being entertained!
I looked up Spitzbergen and it is amazingly beautiful. A bit of trivia; On Spitzbergen is the Svalbard Global Seed Vault..started storage in 1984 in an abandoned coal mine..official opening was Feb. 26, 2008. This would be a fine travel plan for me..go to Norway..over to Spitzbergen and see if anyone would 'hahahah' give me a tour of the Seed Vault!
russell barnes
May 15, 2007 russell barnes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Tim Moore's first book and it shows; it's scatty in places, the reason he's off on the trip isn't really that clear and the prose is a bit wonky.

However, it's still a pretty good read and interesting to see where the genius of continental drifter, french revolutions and spanish steps began.
Paul Tisserant
May 02, 2014 Paul Tisserant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read as the not-quite-feckless writer follows in the footsteps of a forgotten Victorian legend. his journey takes him to Iceland, the land of his wife, through Norway and for an all-too-long stay in Svalbard. Told with humour and an almost 'we're doomed, all doomed, I tell yer' tone. recommended.
Marjorie Elwood
This was amusing: the best portions were centered around his actual travels. The first portion of the book was about his antics with a titled somebody and I found that a little tedious - the "oh, I'm such an idiot and not worthy of your company" kind of thing. But he redeemed himself somewhat later on and I appreciated that his journey had a theme and wasn't totally random.
effie
I literally cry every single time I read this book...from laughing so hard. it is my comfort book. I quote it all the time. YOU GUYS I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH.
go read it now. stay close to the commodore and observe his movements.
Michaela
Jan 09, 2016 Michaela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I laughed way more than I anticipated, given that the premise seemed to provide slim pickings for a full-length book. But his self-deprecating humor and English review of a Victorian gentleman and his abused valet won me over.
Norah
I started this and found it fascinating as I live near the Clandeboye area referred to, but got a bit bogged down in it. Thought I'd get back to it eventually but now I find I have bookcrossed it to someone else so will have to get another copy!
Isabelle Solal
A disappointment after French Revolutions and especially Spanish Steps, which I loved. It seems Moore was rather bored by his Arctic trip and, unfortunately, that really comes across a bit too well. Yawn.
daysgoby
Oct 18, 2007 daysgoby rated it liked it
I often think when I'm reading English fiction that there must be a lot I miss...not knowing the tone of voice, or a lot of the background jokes.

This book was much the same, with the exception of a few chapters - notably one HILARIOUS retelling of a boat voyage...
Lynda
Apr 14, 2013 Lynda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just read the section about authors travels (travails) through Iceland. I enjoyed it, but would have read further if it had drawn me in more strongly. Moore is a funny author, and can ride a bike, too. : )
Katie
Jul 18, 2007 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as tightly focused or as funny as his later books - my attention drifted during the first hundred pages and a few of the later passages - but still has plenty of self-loathing British humor.
Martha
Jan 20, 2012 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Even though I did not get a lot of the British cultural references, this is one of my favorite books EVER!
Kevin
Aug 06, 2013 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this man's view of life, he observes, comments and made me laugh in every way. I felt total empathy with every step he took on what was a real adventure for the curious.
Rachel
Aug 02, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not that great a read. Not as good as some of his others. Perhaps it's just that the Arctic doesn't excite me that much.
  • The Full Montezuma
  • An African in Greenland
  • This Cold Heaven: Seven Seasons in Greenland
  • Malaria Dreams: An African Adventure
  • Journey to Armenia
  • Fried Eggs with Chopsticks: One Woman's Hilarious Adventure into a Country and a Culture Not Her Own
  • The Bird Man and the Lap Dancer: Close Encounters with Strangers
  • Het mooie kotsende meisje
  • The Road to McCarthy: Around the World in Search of Ireland
  • Among the Russians
  • Playing the Moldovans at Tennis
  • Not So Funny When It Happened: The Best of Travel Humor and Misadventure
  • Alone With All That Could Happen: Rethinking Conventional Wisdom about the Craft of Fiction
Tim Moore is a British travel writer and humorist. He was educated at Latymer Upper School in Hammersmith. In addition to his seven published travelogues to date, his writings have appeared in various publications including Esquire, The Sunday Times, The Independent, The Observer and the Evening Standard. He was also briefly a journalist for the Teletext computer games magazine Digitiser, under th ...more
More about Tim Moore...