Start by marking “French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France” as Want to Read:
French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France

French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  1,328 ratings  ·  96 reviews
Not only is it the world's largest and most watched sporting event, but also the most fearsome physical challenge ever conceived by man, demanding every last ounce of will and strength, every last drop of blood, sweat, and tears. If ever there was an athletic exploit specifically not for the faint of heart and feeble of limb, this is it. So you might ask, what is Tim Moore ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published May 14th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about French Revolutions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about French Revolutions

Foxthyme
I'm not quite sure how you prepare for biking 3000 km of the Tour de France route by running a couple of times and heading out on the new bike a couple of times. But somehow Moore pulled it off.

And he doesn't pull any punches with the descriptions. Wanna know how you'd feel after biking just over 254 km in a day, arrive in the town of Troyes in the night only to find there's not a hotel room in the entire town, but your wife, calling to France from England for you found one in a city 13-22 km a
MisterFweem
Travel writing is ubiquitous, but good travel writing is hard to come by. Fortunately, Tim Moore's "French Revolutions" fits in the latter category.

Moore is a crazy Brit who decides he's going to cycle the Tour de France route in 2000 about a month before the tour and discovers that, at the end of all things, he was indeed mad to undertake such an adventure. He fails in some of his goals, triumphing in others. He meets genuinely good people and a bunch of pratts. His encounters with "official" F
Michael Mcclelland
Thank goodness I read this book. Many years ago I circum-cycled Tasmania and, on completion, thought about what my next challenge would be. Unsurprisingly (due to what must have been lactic acid-affected cognition) I also hit upon the idea of cycling the Tour de France route. And though I subsequently recognised it as a silly idea (or rather, far too hard), now I really, really don't have to do it 'cause this author has done it for me.

Containing some fascinating anecdotes of Tour history, and pr
Sean O'Hare
Yeah, it is about the Tour de France. Let's just get that out there. It's also about France and cycling and traveling and a mad person doing a mad thing. It's a really funny story (true) about a guy who decided that he probably didn't have traditional athletic skills but figured he could ride a bike so why not ride one around France in the month before the Tour de France and write about it. That's it, so if the idea of an out of shape Englishman hopping on a bike and trying to ride the course of ...more
Mary
A rank amateur rides the route of the Tour de France, with painful and hilarious results. Very funny, lots of Tour history. Think Bill Bryson with a bicycle.
Greg
Picked this up a few weeks ago from the used bookstore after recognizing it from the Book Lust “Bicycling” list. This is the first season I’ve paid even the least bit of attention to road racing (after watching A Sunday in Hell and other classic-era race footage), making it a perfect read for the early season.

This is the true story of Tim Moore, a British humorist / travel writer / journalist, who - despite not owning a bike or ever having much success riding them - makes the resolution to ride
Nodes
Really fun look at the ideas and passions of cycling around France in 'Le Tour'. Tim Moore is a funny guy and he tells the story in a enjoyable way. Good fun read.
Russell
A good story about a self-proclaimed non-cyclist (I think he said that he writes for a cycling magazine so I'm not so sure?) who cycled the Tour de France route 6 weeks before the real thing.

It's certainly not all about the cycling; there are many humourous observations about people and places too.

Overall, a book I enjoyed and would recommend, especially if you're getting in to long distance cycling as it's mildly inspirational.
Amalasuntha
If I could give this book no stars I would. Funny for the first half chapter and after that cringe making. Moore spends most of the book whinging and complaining, and when he's not doing that he critising. His behaviour is appalling. The worst kind of tourist, and why anyone would want to read about this I don't know. I only persisted with this book because I thought it couldn't all be like this. But it is. Be warned.

Gene
Really enjoyable read. Would have been even better if I had understood the French language bits, and there are more than a few anglocentric jokes and references, but if you are a cyclists and have ever contemplated doing something crazy on your bike, this is the book to either convince you to go for it - or to totally discourage from doing so. And I have to say, I loved the ending!
Cyanide Bunny
tim moore isn't for everyone and i know he hams it up a bit, but l like his disorganized and poorly prepared approach to everything he does. He is often compared to Bill Bryson, but i find him a lot less twee. Perhaps a foul mouthed Bill Bryson would be more accurate.
Ann
Bill Bryson on a bike. Good Tour history and laugh-out-loud stories about how physically challenging the route is for a normal human being.
William
Moore has quite a line of travel writing (this is #3 of 8 books), and I have read only his first book, Frost on My Moustache, before this one. However, French Revolutions does not suffer from some of the minor defaults of Frost on My Moustache. It is strong from the start, its humor is even more developed, and the tale is told in a way that makes it less time-sensitive (well, without the knowledge of Lance Armstrtong's recent revelations, but the rest seems timeless). The mix of the author's tri ...more
Doug Gordon
This was a pretty good book, but probably only if you're a cycling fan and particularly if you're British. I enjoyed the main story of the author's tour and especially the tidbits about the history of the TdF, but a lot of the humor frankly went right past me.

Mainly, for ostensibly speaking the same language, the British sure do have a lot of slang words, phrases, and various cultural references that might make a fellow Brit chuckle, but just made me go "huh?" (and I even watch lots of "Masterpi
Jacqueline
When Tim reignited a passion for cycling, aged 35 and not actually owning a decent bike, he was inspired to take on the challenge of the Tour de France, although obviously not as a serious team competitor. Tim, who wasn’t the fittest, or even the greatest cyclist, bought himself a bike and set off to cycle the 3630kms of the 2000 proposed Tour de France route ahead of the main peloton (by a couple of months).

What follows is a journey of pain, frustration, determination, discovery and above all (
Monthly Book Group
There was general agreement that the book was a light, journalistic, good holiday read which did not need - or get - over analysis. The account of Moore’s escapades read well, eg his intake of calories including alcohol, though some thought he tried too hard to be funny. His treatment of his wife and children attracted some criticism, though Moore did show some awareness.

There was some discussion of what type of book it was. It was not a travel book. Moore did not give any insight into the Franc
Ac
As a someone who enjoys cycling (but still hesitate to call myself a *cyclist*) I really enjoyed and was inspired by this book. The author decides to follow the Tour de France route and covers 3000 kilometers, including all the brutal mountain climbs. The style of writing is travelogue, with a very dry british sense of humor which had me laughing out loud in parts e.g. like when the author, his body rapidly succumbing to the cold while climbing one of the mountains, in desperation slathers himse ...more
Alan Staples
Nice intermezzo book for the tour...finished early though. Tour still got one and half weeks to go. Still, good read, funny and inspiring at the same time. If he can do stuff like that...?
Anthony
Laugh out loud funny at times, inexplicably homophobic at times. Also, this guy is British as they come, so as an American there are some Anglo words and phrases that take some getting used to. Worth a read for sure, though.
Diane
I had high hopes for this book, and some of the anecdotal information about the Tour is interesting, but for the most part, the author tries way too hard to be the funniest guy in the room, sometimes successfully but more often not. Every sentence is obscured to the point that you lose his point due to his ineffective efforts to be hilarious--I don't know how this book got written. It would have been a little more interesting had he stuck to the storyline. It gets old quick--I can't believe ther ...more
Scott
This was a pretty good book. I liked it since it was centered around two of my favorite topics; bicycling and travel. The book had a humorous slant to it, so it was enjoyable to read. I would recommend this book more to cycling fans than I would to travel fans. I must tell you about one of the reading habits. It takes me twice as long to finish a non-fiction book as it does a fiction book. I guess it is because fiction books flow better, I'm not sure. After I finish my mountain of Dick Francis b ...more
Kevin Kuechenmeister
Read it if you love cycling. Read it if you love great literature. Read it if you love humor. Read it.
Clark Gable
Very good read. Good writer, laughed quite a lot reading this.
Rob Boots
It has been a while that I laughed so hard, so often, reading a book.
Martyn
This was just what I needed, and just what I didn't expect it to be. It was hilarious from start to finish with a truly British sense of humor and way of seeing the world. I loved it and immediately looked up Tim Moore in the library catalog to see if he'd written anything else - he had, lots.

EDIT: Don't let the absence of the letter U fool you. I'm an ex-pat Brit living in the belly of the beast and therefore am perfectly entitled to make subjective judgements on all things "Bridish".
Gareth Evans
Tim Moore is very funny, but also slightly mad. Setting out to complete the 2000 Tour de France he does minimal preparation - in terms of logistics (what is the route?) and fitness (seemingly no training) . After skipping early parts of the route and some of the early climbs he not only conquerors some monster climbs, but completes a full 250k stage. Chapeaux Tim. Funny throughout, it might seem that this has an odd target audience, but the are lots of aspirant armchair cyclists out here.
Doug
LOL funny in parts, interesting in others, but mostly just above average...kind of engaging, but nothing more. Definitely not on par with Bill Bryson or Tim Cahill. If you like cycling and the Tour de France, give it another 0.5 stars.
Paul Tisserant
A very good read. Has been well-described as a British Bill Bryson. A non-cyclist cycling the route of the Tour de France, all 3,360 km of it! A very funny writer.
Steve
Moore is off his rocker, but he's pretty entertaining, and he's good for at least one belly-laugh every other chapter. (Is that worth it? I dunno.) If you're looking for an informative travelogue of France, this isn't it. Hard core bikers will be disgusted (in a paternal, holier-than-thou kind of way) with Moore's "preparations," efforts, "insights," and cycling achievements. As for non-bikers, well, I can't even begin to guess what they might think...
  • Rough Ride
  • The Death of Marco Pantani: A Biography
  • Put Me Back On My Bike: In Search of Tom Simpson
  • How I Won the Yellow Jumper: Dispatches from the Tour de France
  • Racing Through the Dark
  • The Rider
  • Slaying the Badger: LeMond, Hinault and the Greatest Ever Tour de France
  • Chasing Lance: The 2005 Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Ride of a Lifetime
  • A Race for Madmen: The History of the Tour de France
  • From Lance to Landis: Inside the American Doping Controversy at the Tour de France
  • 23 Days in July: Inside the Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Record-Breaking Victory
  • Boy Racer: My Journey to Tour de France Record-Breaker
  • Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours
  • We Were Young and Carefree: The Autobiography of Laurent Fignon
  • Miles from Nowhere
  • Where the Pavement Ends: One Woman's Bicycle Trip Through Mongolia, China & Vietnam
  • The Complete Book of Long-Distance Cycling: Build the Strength, Skills, and Confidence to Ride as Far as You Want
  • Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle
Tim Moore is a British travel writer and humorist. He was educated at Latymer Upper School in Hammersmith. In addition to his seven published travelogues to date, his writings have appeared in various publications including Esquire, The Sunday Times, The Independent, The Observer and the Evening Standard. He was also briefly a journalist for the Teletext computer games magazine Digitiser, under th ...more
More about Tim Moore...
Travels with My Donkey: One Man and His Ass on a Pilgrimage to Santiago Do Not Pass Go Frost on my Moustache: The Arctic Exploits of a Lord and a Loafer Continental Drifter You are Awful (But I Like You): Travels Around Unloved Britain