Start by marking “Burger Boy” as Want to Read:
Burger Boy

Burger Boy

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Benny likes burgers. Benny loves burgers. In fact, burgers are the only food that Benny ever eats. “If you don’t watch out, you’ll turn into a burger one day,” warns his mom.

And one day, Benny does.

Hilarious, roly-poly illustrations capture Benny’s wacky transformation and the chaos that ensues. A delectable cautionary tale, this is a rollicking read-aloud that’s certain t
Published October 16th 2006 by Clarion Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Burger Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burger Boy

J-Lynn
A boy who loves burgers eats so many that he turns into one. He is chased by all sorts of things that want to eat or exploit him until his mother saves him and makes him eat vegetables to transform back into a boy. A good message in today's overweight society, but I didn't like the ending.

The illustrations are colored pencil, acrylic and cut paper. They are simple, in bright colors and the people have large round cartoon heads.
Ralf Urbach
My wife and i always tell our children, if we eat too much pizza you'll turn into one, and thats precisely what happens here only with hamburgers. Very entertaining to watch my kids expressions and ask "can you really turn into something that you have too much of?" Funny read and fairly decent illustrations to go along.
Magila
3.5 is about right (the overall aggregate score for this book on Goodreads).

I love the illustrator, Mei Matsuoka's style. I have been grabbing everything she has done since I read The Great Sheep Shenanigans.

The story of a child turning into their favorite food is as timeless as idle parental threats and older siblings. This book brings that to life to teach children it is important to eat a variety of foods. It was ok, just not great.

On the plus side, it's targeted at younger boys, and appropr
Kylie
Burger Boy is a story about a boy named Benny who loved to eat hamburgers. He ate so many hamburgers that he turned into one! Dogs, cows, and boys chased him trying to eat the burger. He was saved by the owner of his favorite restaurant Bigga Burgers. The owner put Benny out on display as a giant, talking burger. Benny's mom came to his rescue and after eating fruits and vegetables, Benny turned back into the boy he used to be.

I think this story is adorable, however I am a little hesitant to us
Christina
I read this book for our library story time recently and liked it way more than I should. Since then, I have been telling all sorts of people the story...teenagers, my wine and words book club, etc. For some reason this book just cracks me up! I was laughing out loud reading it, and all the moms were just looking at me like I was crazy. It really is a cute book. Pick it up for your little one and give it a try.
Megan Mccormick
this book was so funny the girl i had in my groups of kids read it to us and she loved it and it was very funny.
Christina
This book shares a lesson about eating healthy foods and eating appropriate amounts of foods. The boy loves to eat hamburgers and that's all he eats for a period of time; however, he turns into a burger the more he eats them. He learns that this is not a healthy lifestyle, so he begins to eat vegetables until he eats too many of those too. This book can be tied with a lesson on eating a balanced diet (health lesson), but other than that, this would just be a fun story to read to young kids. They ...more
Shannon
My kids and I love this book! It was funny and had a good lesson for kids that hate vegetables. A reminder to keep a balanced diet but in a fun and witty way. Does not read like a lecture but at the ending my kids all got the point. My 6 year old wants to hear this story all the time. And my 12 year old who thinks he is too old for stories with us always sits in on this one. I would recommend this to anyone who has a child who hates to eat one thing and wants to over indulge in another.
Mamoon Razaq
Benny loves burgers and that is the only thing he will eat.

His mothers warns him that he will turn into a burger one day if he is not careful. He eventually turns into a burger and everyone laughs at him now.

Then one day he gets chased by dogs and the cows. Will this nightmare change Benny's eating habits?

A very charming tale with by the author who uses some great pictures in the book.
A book that children from age 3-7 years will love.
Natalie Haskins
I mostly love this book for the illustrations and the humor it brings. It's about a boy who absolutely loves burgers, so all he ever eats are burgers. Eventually, he turns into a burger, after his mom warned him that he would turn into that. The hidden message behind this is to simply get kids to eat there vegetables! That's every parents wish. It is a fun and quirky message to get across to students about there healthy foods.
Bree
while funny I would worry about the message it sends. children do have a sense of humor but can take things literally. just know your audience before reading.
Lindsey Reyes
Burger Boy tells of a story of a boy who loves eating ... burgers. He eats so many that he starts to look like one. Dogs, cows, and children all chase him throughout the book. He gets mistaken for a real hamburger and decides he should eat vegetables and fruit instead of just hamburgers. He starts to gain his shape back and becomes a vegetarian. It teaches children how to eat properly and healthy.
Alice Hudson
I have to read this to my 2yo every night before bed or he shouts at me.
Melanie
Young Benny loves hamburgers. It's the only thing he'll eat. One day he finds that he has become a burger. He is immediately chased by dogs, cows and hungry children. He is then rescued but put on display in a burger shop. His mother finally gets him safely home where she feeds him nothing but fruits and vegetables. He has to be careful though. If he eats too many vegetables he may became a...?
Jen
The problem with working at the library is that I'm constantly picking up picture books and flipping through them when I should be shelving them! I couldn't resist this cover and the story was so cute. A boy who eats too many burgers turns into one and is chased by other burger lovers until his mom feeds him veggies and turns him back into a boy. I love the illustrations.
Marta Boksenbaum
This book would be great for a food-themed storytime, especially as a plug for healthy eating. This funny book takes a common saying literally, when a boy turns into the thing he eats most. He is chased by many characters who want to eat him until he is rescued by his mother by giving him veggies to eat. This book is very silly and very fun, and portrays a great message.
Lauren Brown
This interesting and different book tells the tale of a boy who turned into a cheeseburger because he only ate cheeseburgers. It's cute and funny with adorable illustrations by Mei Matsuroka and the text curves with the pictures to make it a little more interesting. Overall a cute book that can be used for children who only eat one particular thing!
Dona
SO funny. Benny is aptly named Burger Boy because he won't eat anything but hamburgers until the life changing day when he actually turns into one. Oh if only he had listened to his mother who fortunately came to his rescue and saved him from a miserable fate as Burger Boy only to prepare him to become....Carrot kid? Maybe there will be a sequel.
Mary
This is a very literal tale of a little boy who became what he ate! One day, disaster strikes, and the only way he could turn back into a boy was to eat vegetables. But, eating too much of those isn't always a good thing, either!
The pictures are entertaining and the story is great to read aloud to young children.
jacky
Sep 24, 2010 jacky rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool - primary
A cute spin on the idea that if you eat too much of something you will turn into it. Some adventure and some humor, but also a little scary that the boy was stuck as a burger and almost eaten. In the end, we learn that everything is good in moderation. A possible addition to a primary grade nutrition unit.
faelinwolf
This book made me laugh. It reminded me of how my grandma used to tell me that I ate so much of a particular thing that I would turn into it. :) A fun way to try to get kids to eat their veggies...or rather a more balanced diet (because they could turn into veggies too if they ate too much!).
Josie Dipiero
I really liked this book, because it was very relatable. I feel like every child gets told when they are younger that if they eat too much of one type of food they will turn into it, so that is exactly what happens in the story. I think the story was very cute.
Amber Cooper
Wonderful illustrations. Simple text(near 2nd grade) reading level. Theme (comic, eating habits, moderation.) -Its a "Cautionary tale of fast-food" Great for beginning readers learning about punctuation and the change in reading tone.
Melissa
I'm anxious to share this with the pre-k through 2nd grade groups during our summer reading program this year. I love the idea of the boy turning into what he eats and the consequences that followed. This book made me smile.
Rose Ramon
This book is such a pleasure to read to children! I use it in my storytimes and the kids go wild when the boy is chased by all the different animals. It's also pretty close to my heart because I LOVE hamburgers!
Dolly
May 31, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, pets
A funny book to read for the picky eaters in your life. Our girls thought it was great. The illustrations are silly and the narrative is humorous and repetitive. We've read this one a couple of times.
Heather
48 months - A boy learns that you can't just eat the same food day in and day out. We've all been told "If you eat one more... You'll turn into..." What happens if you really did?!? Silly book.
Julia
A little boy who eats too many burgers and turns into one, only to be chased by angry cows, hungry little boys and enterprising business owners. Hilarious cautionary tale for kids about nutrition!
Leah
A cute story about remembering to vary your diet. It is a kooky story with giggle worthy moments. We have taken this one from the library 3 or 4 times, at the little one's request.
  • Hi, Pizza Man!
  • Whopper Cake
  • If I Were a Jungle Animal
  • Jumpy Jack & Googily
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
  • Big Smelly Bear
  • Ivan the Terrier
  • Worms for Lunch?
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Duck Soup
  • Huck Runs Amuck!
  • The Baby Beebee Bird
  • The Luck of the Loch Ness Monster: A Tale of Picky Eating
  • Hungry Hen
  • Gilbert Goldfish Wants a Pet
  • Cupcake
  • Meow Said the Cow
  • Mail Harry to the Moon!
Always and Forever I Love You, Little Monkey Dear Tooth Fairy A Dinosaur Called Tiny Big Bad Bunny