Start by marking “Seven Days of Possibilities: One Teacher, 24 Kids, and the Music That Changed Their Lives Forever” as Want to Read:

The inspirational true story of one plucky young teacher, whose passion for her students transformed their lives-some for only seven days, others for a lifetime. Johanna Grussner arrived in New York City starry-eyed. She was a young Finnish jazz singer looking for the big time. But it was hard to find steady gigs. Propelled by pluck, determination, and a smidgen of ...more
Published September 1st 2004 by PublicAffairs (first published June 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Days of Possibilities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Days of Possibilities

Lynn
May 16, 2011 Lynn rated it it was ok
This was a disappointing book -- as you can tell from the start date and all the books I have read since starting this one, it was extraordinarily easy to put down and almost forget that I had checked out from the library.

The concept was wonderful -- music and underprivileged school children. It had the "Sound of Music" written all over it. However, I was just so disenchanted for the writing seemed petty at times. The reader watches Johanna get into the school and grab the attention of the teach
Kcshrader
Sep 14, 2012 Kcshrader rated it it was ok
So uneven... parts were compelling, parts were a poorly done documentary. Some parts read like a legal brief and some touching memoirs. In places the prose was beautiful and lyrical, and in others it read more like it had been written by someone for whom English was a 2nd language, poorly mastered. This book could have been notable with much stronger editing to improve its consistency.
Megan
Jun 11, 2010 Megan rated it it was ok
Even though I rated this slightly low, I wouldn't say it was a boring book. It had really neat info about the history of NY schools (these chapters I skimmed). I enjoyed more the chapters about the children's experience in Aland - partly because it reminded me of my good ol choir days abroad. I admired Johanna's excitement for music.
RosaLea
RosaLea rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2010
m
m rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2011
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2013
Mattias
Mattias rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2008
Christy
Christy rated it it was ok
May 09, 2009
Laura rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2008
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2014
Creative Choices
Creative Choices marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2008
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2008
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2009
Lori
Lori added it
Dec 21, 2009
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
May 15, 2011
Dom Schwartz
Dom Schwartz marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2011
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2011
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Jieh Jieh
Jieh Jieh marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2014
Jessie Ward
Jessie Ward marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2016
Anemona Hartocollis is a reporter and columnist for the New York Times newspaper.
She is the daughter of Peter Hartocollis.
More about Anemona Hartocollis...