Start by marking “Republic of Fear: The Inside Story of Saddam's Iraq” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Republic of Fear: The ...
Samir al-Khalil

Republic of Fear: The Inside Story of Saddam's Iraq

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Describes what he calls the most ruthless regime in the world, that of Saddam Hussein & his Bath Party in Iraq. Shows the importance of the obsessive fabrication of enemies, & the tortuous logic that compels Hussein to maintain a state of perpetual alert against the enemies of Arabism both inside & outside the country. Explains how such a state could be created ...more
Published May 28th 1989 by Diane Pub Co (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Republic of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Republic of Fear

جمهورية الخوف

نشر كنعان مكية كتابه هذا سنة 1989 م، تحت اسم مستعار هو سمير الخليل، كانت الحرب العراقية الإيرانية قد انتهت لتوها، وصدام لم يصبح عدواً للجميع بعد، فلذا صار هذا الكتاب مهماً جداً بعدما غزى صدام الكويت، ووضع بلده في وجه مدافع 34 دولة سنة 1990 م.

يحاول مكية في هذا الكتاب تحليل مسيرة حزب البعث في العراق، وكيف قبض على السلطة بيد حديدية، وقضى على كل منافسيه، وهو يعتمد في هذا الكتاب على دراسات وإحصائيات تتناول الحالة العراقية، مورداً قصصاً مرعبة عن التعذيب والتصفية تحت الحكم البعثي.

I have been thinking about whether to include books in which I have only read a chapter or two.

Since I use this space as an archive, I have decided to add a new shelf: "read some of it."

I dreaded reading this because the book is an artifact used by the US government to attack Iraq the first time. Still I really need to find what I am looking for.

I am looking for citations that provide evidence for the how Iraq used its oil profits after 1973. There is plenty of work on how it used some of thos
well, this is a good book. I particularly liked the first chapter. "jihaz hanin, the army, the mukhabarat". It is very interesting to be informed how the ba'th as a party state polity was formed and how it later developed under the leadership of saddam. what each "institution of violence" original role was and how it later undertook different or additional roles under the ba'th. The chapters concerning the Legitimation of ba'th(chpater 5 and 6), why the communists failed and the ba'thists' succe ...more
This book was a pretty effective indictment of Saddam Hussein, by an Iraqi, who, if I'm not mistaken, started out as a Trotskyist and ended up some kind of liberal democrat.

Makiya, who taught at Brandeis of all places for an Arab, was one of the drum-beaters for Gulf War II. What he thinks about it now, I do not know.

The Republic of Fear was written well before the invasion.
Makiya strives for objectivity, but falls short. This is a rather interesting historical artifact/relic. Written post Iran-Iraq war and Pre-Gulf War I, it has a forward written in the late 90's. It would be most interesting to read another update now to see what insights Makiya has on what has transpired in the 15+ years since his first forward added.

Ultimately, I think it falls short because there is a bit too much conjecture on what things mean. It does make it seem quite apparent that any hop
Tom Schulte
It may seem a little late to read a detailed, scholarly overview of the rise of Baathism and Saddam in Iraq from the late '60s to the Iran-Iraq War, but this updated edition has a lot to offer. One, it serves as a detailed analysis of centralized anti-communism turned into a fascistic dictatorship, ala Nazi Germany or Fascist Italy. Also, it explains a lot of the roots of the current patchwork of politico-religious issues in the mideast traced from the Ottoman millet system to post-WW II nation ...more
Corey Toomey
Interesting stuff that taught me alot about Baathism and Iraq while it was under Saddam's regime that operated on that political ideology. The downside, however, is that it's sort of dry and insipid and failed to hold my attention for an extended period of time.
David McMahon
A well formed examination of Iraqi Ba'thism from an insider who is thankfully free of the usual post colonial guilt. It's slow going due to the sheer volume of detailed information but I did not lose interest at any point.
At some point I will return to this...extremely informative but overwhelming at this point in time.
Superbly written by an individual that witnessed the atrocities of the Bath Party first hand.
Sebastian Cosgrove
Assigned for class. My fear was I would never get through it...and I didn't.
Oh if only one person in the Bush administration had ever read this book.
Peter Ager
Heavy going but enlightening
Travis marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Ahmed Eisa
Ahmed Eisa marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Catherine marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Thu Nguyen
Thu Nguyen marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
LNZ added it
Oct 01, 2015
Hussaien Yassen
Hussaien Yassen marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Ibrahim Almoosawi
Ibrahim Almoosawi marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Connor Zicari
Connor Zicari marked it as to-read
Meran Ali
Meran Ali marked it as to-read
Ronza Najjar
Ronza Najjar marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Mika marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Paul marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Gonçalo Portela
Gonçalo Portela marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Suzi added it
Sep 22, 2015
Jack marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Benn Roberts
Benn Roberts marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
  • What's Left?
  • The Flight of the Intellectuals
  • A History of the Modern Middle East
  • Righteous Victims: A History of the Zionist-Arab Conflict, 1881-1998
  • Islamic Imperialism: A History
  • Iran: A People Interrupted
  • Sacred Causes: The Clash of Religion and Politics, from the Great War to the War on Terror
  • Al Qaeda:  The True Story Of Radical Islam
  • Occidentalism: The West in the Eyes of Its Enemies
  • Defending the West: A Critique of Edward Said's Orientalism
  • The Mantle of the Prophet: Religion and Politics in Iran
  • The Siege of Mecca: The Forgotten Uprising in Islam's Holiest Shrine and the Birth of al-Qaeda
  • Saddam
  • A Long Short War: The Postponed Liberation of Iraq
  • A God Who Hates: The Courageous Woman Who Inflamed the Muslim World Speaks Out Against the Evils of Islam
  • A History of Iraq
  • Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here: Untold Stories from the Fight Against Muslim Fundamentalism
  • Chasing Ghosts: Failures and Facades in Iraq: A Soldier's Perspective
Republic of Fear: The Inside Story of Saddam's Iraq The Monument: Art, Vulgarity, and Responsibility in Iraq The Monument: Art and Vulgarity in Saddam Hussein's Iraq Intolerance