Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Republic of Fear: The Inside Story of Saddam's Iraq” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Republic of Fear: The ...
 
by
Samir al-Khalil
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Republic of Fear: The Inside Story of Saddam's Iraq

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  152 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Describes what he calls the most ruthless regime in the world, that of Saddam Hussein & his Bath Party in Iraq. Shows the importance of the obsessive fabrication of enemies, & the tortuous logic that compels Hussein to maintain a state of perpetual alert against the enemies of Arabism both inside & outside the country. Explains how such a state could be created ...more
Paperback, 310 pages
Published May 28th 1989 by Diane Pub Co (first published 1989)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Republic of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Republic of Fear

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
فهد الفهد
جمهورية الخوف

نشر كنعان مكية كتابه هذا سنة 1989 م، تحت اسم مستعار هو سمير الخليل، كانت الحرب العراقية الإيرانية قد انتهت لتوها، وصدام لم يصبح عدواً للجميع بعد، فلذا صار هذا الكتاب مهماً جداً بعدما غزى صدام الكويت، ووضع بلده في وجه مدافع 34 دولة سنة 1990 م.

يحاول مكية في هذا الكتاب تحليل مسيرة حزب البعث في العراق، وكيف قبض على السلطة بيد حديدية، وقضى على كل منافسيه، وهو يعتمد في هذا الكتاب على دراسات وإحصائيات تتناول الحالة العراقية، مورداً قصصاً مرعبة عن التعذيب والتصفية تحت الحكم البعثي.

الكتاب
...more
David
This book was a pretty effective indictment of Saddam Hussein, by an Iraqi, who, if I'm not mistaken, started out as a Trotskyist and ended up some kind of liberal democrat.

Makiya, who taught at Brandeis of all places for an Arab, was one of the drum-beaters for Gulf War II. What he thinks about it now, I do not know.

The Republic of Fear was written well before the invasion.
Naeem
Jan 28, 2008 Naeem rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-some-of-it
I have been thinking about whether to include books in which I have only read a chapter or two.

Since I use this space as an archive, I have decided to add a new shelf: "read some of it."

I dreaded reading this because the book is an artifact used by the US government to attack Iraq the first time. Still I really need to find what I am looking for.

I am looking for citations that provide evidence for the how Iraq used its oil profits after 1973. There is plenty of work on how it used some of thos
...more
Firas71 Ramahi
بقي هذا الكتاب فترة طويلة في رفوف المكتبة بإنتظار القراءة ولربما جاء ذلك من أسباب النقد الموجه لمكية بمواقع التواصل الاجتماعي ، والذي أعتقده انه كان غير حيادياً (النقد) على مكية ..
نقل معاناة الشعب العراقي بصفحات كتاب تخليداً لمرحلة زمنية مهمة مرّ بها الشعب والوطن هو شيء مهم جداً ومرحلة آيدلوجيا حزب البعث كانت أحد أهم المنعطفات التي مررنا بها والتي تركت الكثير من الندوب على شخصيتنا الضائعة الهوية أصلاً ..
Corey Toomey
Jul 24, 2011 Corey Toomey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting stuff that taught me alot about Baathism and Iraq while it was under Saddam's regime that operated on that political ideology. The downside, however, is that it's sort of dry and insipid and failed to hold my attention for an extended period of time.
David McMahon
Sep 04, 2013 David McMahon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well formed examination of Iraqi Ba'thism from an insider who is thankfully free of the usual post colonial guilt. It's slow going due to the sheer volume of detailed information but I did not lose interest at any point.
Rich
Dec 13, 2007 Rich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Superbly written by an individual that witnessed the atrocities of the Bath Party first hand.
Peter Ager
Jan 31, 2013 Peter Ager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heavy going but enlightening
Mishari
كتاب جمهورية الخوف ، يقدم الكتاب الحالة العراقية أثناء سلطة البعث العراقي و يقدم تحليلًا لمسيرة هذه السلطة و أيديولوجيتها و سياساتها و أدواتها و علاقتها بالعنف و القمع و طريقة وصولها للسلطة المطلقة و يقدم تشريحًا دقيقًا لوسائل و أدوات و سياسات و دعاية هذه السلطة الدموية منذ فترة الستينات حتى نهاية الثمانينات

الكتاب دقيق و متزن في وصف و تشريح الحالة البعثية العراقية ، ربما يعيب الكتاب التمطيط و النقص في عدة محاور مهمة
لكنه عمومًا كتاب جيد متزن
Joseph Stieb
Jun 24, 2016 Joseph Stieb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: iraq
An odd, dense, abstrusely written but occasionally insightful book about the nature of Baath ideology and Saddam Hussein's regime. The first 100 pages or so explain how fear and violence defined politics in Baathist Iraq. He explains how SH put the various security organizations in place, the roles they play, and how they have pursued the totalitarian goal of atomizing the individual, undermining traditional authorities like the family, and then reuniting society purely on the basis of loyalty a ...more
Yas
May 04, 2015 Yas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
well, this is a good book. I particularly liked the first chapter. "jihaz hanin, the army, the mukhabarat". It is very interesting to be informed how the ba'th as a party state polity was formed and how it later developed under the leadership of saddam. what each "institution of violence" original role was and how it later undertook different or additional roles under the ba'th. The chapters concerning the Legitimation of ba'th(chpater 5 and 6), why the communists failed and the ba'thists' succe ...more
Zack
Mar 08, 2014 Zack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Makiya strives for objectivity, but falls short. This is a rather interesting historical artifact/relic. Written post Iran-Iraq war and Pre-Gulf War I, it has a forward written in the late 90's. It would be most interesting to read another update now to see what insights Makiya has on what has transpired in the 15+ years since his first forward added.

Ultimately, I think it falls short because there is a bit too much conjecture on what things mean. It does make it seem quite apparent that any hop
...more
Tom Schulte
It may seem a little late to read a detailed, scholarly overview of the rise of Baathism and Saddam in Iraq from the late '60s to the Iran-Iraq War, but this updated edition has a lot to offer. One, it serves as a detailed analysis of centralized anti-communism turned into a fascistic dictatorship, ala Nazi Germany or Fascist Italy. Also, it explains a lot of the roots of the current patchwork of politico-religious issues in the mideast traced from the Ottoman millet system to post-WW II nation ...more
Fahd
Jan 25, 2016 Fahd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ببلا
Sebastian Cosgrove
Assigned for class. My fear was I would never get through it...and I didn't.
Johnny
May 08, 2007 Johnny rated it really liked it
Oh if only one person in the Bush administration had ever read this book.
Christopher
At some point I will return to this...extremely informative but overwhelming at this point in time.
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2009
Wouter de Visser
Wouter de Visser rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2014
Americanenglishexper
Americanenglishexper rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Matthijs Koningstein
Matthijs Koningstein rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2013
Sarah
Sarah rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2017
John
John rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Dhuha
Dhuha rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Marc Puckett
Marc Puckett rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Dana Tucker
Dana Tucker rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Michael Zacchea
Michael Zacchea rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2017
Colm O'mahony
Colm O'mahony rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2013
Stuart Elliott
Stuart Elliott rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it did not like it
Aug 24, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • What's Left?
  • The Flight of the Intellectuals
  • Righteous Victims: A History of the Zionist-Arab Conflict, 1881-1998
  • The Quotable Hitchens from Alcohol to Zionism: The Very Best of Christopher Hitchens
  • A History of the Modern Middle East
  • A History of Modern Lebanon
  • Sacred Causes: The Clash of Religion and Politics, from the Great War to the War on Terror
  • Iran: A People Interrupted
  • Al Qaeda:  The True Story Of Radical Islam
  • A Long Short War: The Postponed Liberation of Iraq
  • The Mantle of the Prophet: Religion and Politics in Iran
  • The Siege of Mecca: The Forgotten Uprising in Islam's Holiest Shrine and the Birth of al-Qaeda
  • Occidentalism: The West in the Eyes of Its Enemies
  • Islamic Imperialism: A History
  • A History of Iraq
  • Saddam
  • Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here: Untold Stories from the Fight Against Muslim Fundamentalism
  • Defending the West: A Critique of Edward Said's Orientalism

Share This Book