Start by marking “Twitter Wit” as Want to Read:
Twitter Wit

Twitter Wit

2.95 of 5 stars 2.95  ·  rating details  ·  415 ratings  ·  67 reviews
Sometimes, what happens on Twitter shouldn't stay on Twitter.

Twitter Wit is the first ever compilation of Twitter aphorisms and witticisms, celebrating a medium that has enabled millions of users to broadcast their lives and quips within Twitter's 140-character limit, thus reinventing wordplay in the tradition of Dorothy Parker and Oscar Wilde. This collection includes hun
Published August 25th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Twitter Wit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twitter Wit

Zuzia
This isn't edgy or all that witty. There were maybe 5 tweets that made me laugh out loud and a handful that were just funny. But apart from that, there were a lot of cheap shots and jokes at the expense of marginalised groups. So if you enjoy jokes about rape, women, African Americans and disabled people - well you're a terrible person and this book is perfect for you.

No wit, lazy editing, and poor judgement and you TOO can publish a book.
Cheryl
Twitter Wit ... really? With the exception of a couple of the tweets, this book was about as unfunny as you could get. Thee odd couple of tweets made me smile (no laughing) but the rest were boring and even bordering in offensive at times. Luckily it's not a long book so I finished it rather quickly.
I think they need to go back to the drawing board and do more research through Twitter because there are many funny tweets out there, it's just unfortunate that none of them are in this book.
Elizabeth
[2.5]

This was totally meh. Some were funny, most didn't make sense and the others were just offensive. I didn't really enjoy this. The only redeemable quality was that there were some good ones in the mix though they weren't the majority.
Katie Johnston
I can't give a completely unbiased review, because I'm in the book, but I can say that this is a great one to pick up when you just want a quick laugh, and is also really fun to read all of the way through. Some of the funniest people on Twitter don't have millions of followers, or even thousands, and I think if people bothered look for and follow these everyday wits then they wouldn't complain that Twitter is just Ashton and Demi talking about their favorite types of sandwiches. This is a great ...more
Frankie
another good bus read
David Brzezinski
Revu in 140 chars or less: Meh!
Abbe
Sep 20, 2012 Abbe added it
Shelves: in-library
SUMMARY: New York Magazine proclaims, "Twitter is the hot web company right now...the Next Big Thing;" the New York Times calls it "one of the fastest-growing phenomena on the Internet;" Time magazine claims "Twitter is on its way to becoming the next killer app;" and Newsweek notes that "Suddenly, it seems as though all the world′s a-twitter." Since its creation in March 2006, Twitter has unleashed a torrent of self-expression from its six million members around the world, who send and read eac ...more
Julie
Let's ne honest, I can't justify giving this more than a 3 star because I feel like that would be unfair to the books that I have given 5 stars. Don't get me wrong, i had a good giggle at a few of the tweets in this book, however, I am the generation that lives on Pinterest and buzz feed so I have seen much funnier tweets.
It was a good book, I flew through it in one night, so project catch up on my reading challenge is back to being on track haha
The Reading Countess
My oldest son picked this title up for me as a gag when he was shopping at yet another bookstore closing a few months. I lay it aside after thumbing through a few pages, although we chuckled over a few (real) tweets in the book. This is a quick read, and I needed a chuckle today, so I read it in one sitting while nursing my sick youngest son. Since I am on Twitter (too much, according to my family), the book was hilarious. Some tweets would make this a not-for-young-eyes book (lesson learned the ...more
Ali Juma
Buzzfeed-style listicle-type book, before Buzzfeed was a 'thing'.

Don't bother - it's junk. Nothing particularly witty or edgy about this collection of tweets. You're more liked to be amused looking at your own feed. Go follow @MedievalReactions or something.
Hannah
Obviously this book was very funny, as the tweets featured were the best of the best on offer, or at least, the wittiest of the witty. I liked the fact that after checking some of the profiles featured, not all the tweeters are famous or highly-followed, and the home-grown touch adds afeel of authenticity to the edition.

I wasn't very impressed or even interested in the "tips" for wittier tweeting, and I think these pages could have been left out. The purpose of the book wasn't to parade the bes
Steph
36 pages in and laughing my head off... mostly. There are some decidedly naughty tweets. And some frighteningly bodily-function-related that I don't really find funny. And the cusses. People aren't required to censor their language on twitter, so consider yourselves warned.

Overall, though, quite funny. The only problem is that now I'm ashamed that I don't have anything witty to say on my Facebook updates. Seriously. I need to find a way to train my brain to think in a more twisted, humorous way
Ed Wagemann
Apr 16, 2012 Ed Wagemann marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
What The Internet Is Doing To Our Brains:
Krista
I love it when the Internet gives back to literature. Luckily, Douglas and I share the same sense of humor. His list of tweets is witty, dark and at-times controversial--everything I love about Twitter. It's like reading through a list of my favorite tweets list on Twitter. I laughed out loud a lot, and found some new people to follow.

I wouldn't recommend this for anyone who's not already on Twitter or is particularly sensitive. The tweets are San Francisco-centric at times. I loved that becaus
Nakeesha
I will never have a twitter account because I know it would become a nifty reference webpage for self-loathing, but I would totally start one if I could sound like this:

"I haven’t had anything left for lent since 1993 when, at Arsenio’s urging, I gave it up for Marlon Wayans."

"Sometimes I worry I’m one of those people from the black and white parts of infomercials whose lives are held hostage by things like pockets."

"I appreciate that modern medicine gives us the option of penicillin instead of
Ramie Jacobson
Some funny stuff but mostly a mindless read with outdated jokes and kinda not funny twitter humor
Ietrio
Junk. Interesting junk. Someone has made a book out of time wasted online. Still junk.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Didn't laugh once. And there was at least one tweet that was repeated multiple times.
Zatika
As someone who loathes to be on Twitter, this book compiles most of the best tweets. Another one for the bathroom.
Shannon
I hate myself. This is the last "book" I have completed. I am horrible.

This fucking thing was funny though. Minus the self-important introduction which extolled the virtues of Twitter like it's a revolution in communication rather than just another bullshit social networking site which I have major issues with because I am incapable of being succinct.

THE END.
Patricia
I must have been a Kindle Deal of the Day that I got for 99 cents or something. Definitely worth a buck. There were some witty tweets included and a few that were hilarious. I don't spend a lot of time on Twitter, so it was fun to read a compilation of the better tweets.
Elliot Richards
This book gave my eyes a good workout as they rolled upwards on every tweet I read. Clearly "brilliant wit" is subjective where this book is concerned; alas the only impression I got from all this was that Twitter is populated by idiots. I didn't even bother finishing it.
dersteppenwolf
Un compendio con los "mejores" tweets publicados en Twitter.
Un libro tan innecesario como "lo más buscado en las páginas blancas", un dvd conmemorativo con lo mejor de "el minuto de dios" o una obra de teatro basada en el Boletín del consumidor.
David
#notworththebother Seriously, there are some interesting, even funny tweets in this book. But you'll find that tweets from your friends and others that you are following will give you more pleasure than reading all the tweets in this book.
Bobbi
Interesting and fun book about the funny and charming things that have been posted on Twitter. Towards the end, it loses it's charm due to the seeming repetitiveness of the format. However, I would recommend for those who enjoy Twitter.
Just a bunch of quips: some really funny, others not so much. Short interesting read for those looking for something to do, well when you're not actually reading Twitter feeds. ;P
Megan
I needed a good laugh...and I found it here! There are some seriously witty people taking advantage of 140 character usage! Highly recommend for some laugh out loud reading!
Followers! 1 2 Jul 23, 2012 06:29PM
  • Don't Be That Guy: A Collection of 60 Annoying Guys We All Know and Wish We Didn't
  • Niubi!: The Real Chinese You Were Never Taught in School
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • mental floss presents Instant Knowledge (Collins Gem)
  • What's Wrong With Eating People?: 33 More Perplexing Philosophy Puzzles
  • Facebook and Philosophy: What's on Your Mind?
  • American Freak Show: The Completely Fabricated Stories of Our New National Treasures
  • 'Rommel?' 'Gunner Who?': A Confrontation in the Desert
  • Turn Left At The Trojan Horse: A Would-Be Hero's American Odyssey
  • The 776 Stupidest Things Ever Said
  • The Battle for Gotham: New York in the Shadow of Robert Moses and Jane Jacobs
  • Motorworld
  • Your Call Is Important to Us: The Truth About Bullshit
  • In The Neighborhood: The Search for Community on an American Street, One Sleepover at a Time
  • Back to Our Future: How the 1980s Explain the World We Live in Now--Our Culture, Our Politics, Our Everything
  • The Devil's Playground: A Century of Pleasure and Profit in Times Square
  • Tears of a Clown: Glenn Beck and the Tea Bagging of America
  • And Then There's This: How Stories Live and Die in Viral Culture
Nick Douglas is a technology writer and humorist known for bringing a sarcastic viewpoint to the usually dry world of tech journalism. The founding editor of Valleywag, Gawker Media s blog about Silicon Valley, Douglas has also written for Wired, Slate, and the Huffington Post, among others. Douglas boasts over 9,000 followers on Twitter, making him one of the top 200 users on the site. He lives i ...more
More about Nick Douglas...