Start by marking “Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitter's Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,986 Ratings  ·  171 Reviews
Enjoy the practical advice, real-life knitting instruction, and irreverent humor of Yankee Kay Gardiner and Tennessean Ann Shayne, the duo behind the renowned knitting web log masondixonknitting.com. The ladies of Mason-Dixon Knitting will take you on a thrilling adventure through Knitopia, a place where knitting and creativity unite through the zaniest knitted items imagi ...more
Published February 9th 2010 by Potter Craft (first published March 28th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Mason-Dixon Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mason-Dixon Knitting

Teri-k
Feb 16, 2016 Teri-k rated it really liked it
When my Mom was alive she once confessed to me that she liked looking at quilts, watching people quilt and reading about quilts, but she didn't like quilting. I told her that was OK. :) In the same way, I like knitting and there are some knitting books that I enjoy looking at and reading, though I have no desire to make anything in them. This isn't one of those books. I want to make almost everything is this fun, lavishly illustrated knitting book. And for the few items I don't want to make, I w ...more
Shelley
Oct 01, 2007 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
Absolutely hysterical! I love their common sense approach to projects. I'm not sure how many of the projects are for me, but I am intrigued by the log cabin pattern...
Callina
Mar 21, 2008 Callina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knitters and people who want to be knitters.
I'm a new knitter, and this book definitely inspired me and reaffirmed my decision to knit. First of all, it's really funny, and there's not much I love more than a book that can make me laugh out loud, because so many of them don't. Even some of the patterns made me laugh. It even had my husband chuckling (and why he was reading it I have no idea).

It's full of interesting anecdotes, witty jokes, and great advice. There are 30 patterns in the book, and they're not your usual suspects. Another t
Jennifer Ochoa
Mar 16, 2014 Jennifer Ochoa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I've had this book for years and it's a favorite. Beautiful color photographs, witty writing, and the story of a magical friendship between two women who met on the internet. I would say this is a book best for novices who know the very basics but are ready to move on from boring garter stitch squares. The patterns are simple, but not boring and the color selections are spot-on.

Their blog is pretty great too, with the unique format of them addressing their posts to each other. It's like reading
Sybylla
Jan 02, 2013 Sybylla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
As a reader of the Mason-Dixon blog, I knew Kay and Ann had fantastic sense of humor. I have also seen several log cabin blankets which were genius and beautiful. But somehow the long introductions to every pattern sucked my enthusiasm for them out of my bones.
Jen
May 19, 2008 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading the stories in this book, and there are several good patterns, but overall a little underwhelming considering I know how popular this book is. A good percent of the patterns also use the same yarn, which looks lovely, but I like some variety as well.
Leslie Jem
Feb 16, 2011 Leslie Jem rated it really liked it
Shelves: needlecrafts
I have found my knitting idols! Love the authors' philosophy of knitting and life. Next employee discount days, I will buy this book.
RH Walters
Feb 17, 2010 RH Walters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The authors' friendship and saucy writing style is the biggest part of these books' appeal for me; the inventive patterns are a bonus.
Linda
Mar 01, 2009 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normally I wait until I am completely done with a book before reviewing it. However, I just finished ripping apart The Gentle Art of Domesticity and this book shines in contrast. Mason Dixon Knitting is both pretty and practical, fun and informative, everything I hoped Gentle Art would be but wasn't.
This book is also blog-based, yet it succeeds as a book in its own right. Partly that's due to the truth in advertising of the title. It really is "stories, patterns, advice, opinions, questions, ans
Celeste Miller
May 08, 2008 Celeste Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafty-crafty
The fact that I found this pattern book an entertaining, funny read is perhaps testament that my knitting hobby has gotten a little out of hand. The irreverent spirit of Kay and Ann's now-famous blog is preserved in this collection patterns and anecdotes.

That said, I'm probably not going to knit anything in this book, save for a dish towel or two (and what dish towels they will be!), they certainly did inspire me to consider that yes, I can create more than human garments with my knitting obsess
Skylar
My mom has this book and I have browsed through it a couple of times. However, I have been contemplating the purchase of this book for myself over a period of time so thought that I would check it out from the library for one last once over to determine whether or not I should add it to my well-pruned personal book collection.

After reviewing each pattern and reading the book through, I find this book to be fun and entertaining. Some of the patterns are quite appealing to me, such as the Moderne
M
Jun 12, 2014 M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great read. Really helps to calm the new knitter's nerves and rev up the excitement of knitting again for one hitting a bit of a rut. Great collection of patterns, perfect for the novice and the expert and definitely the in between. A must read for all interested in knitting.
Jess
I've had this since it came out, somehow, I never marked it as read on here.
I have made more Ballband dishcloths than I can count! I've also made a log cabin blanket for my mom.
I love the giant, squishy rugs. I want to make them all.
Tracy
Sep 07, 2007 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knitters with a sense of humor
I love this book -- it's probably the only knitting book I've ever read, as opposed to skimmed. The authors share many of my sensibilities about knitting -- that it shouldn't be so difficult as to be work, but should be challenging enough to be fun; that experimentation and possible failure are part of the glory; and that knitting with friends, or sometimes even just talking about knitting with friends, constitutes a rollickin' social occasion (particularly when mixed with good food and/or drink ...more
Sarah Milner
This is a great knitting book - not necessarily for beginners (they don't have anything on the basic, basics - but, that's what YouTube is for anyway), but full of easy to medium projects that will only encourage you to keep at it.
Kel
Jul 14, 2007 Kel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
Kay and Ann simply are stars in the Knitting World. Their blog is fantastic and this book just continues in the fantasticalness. ;o) The book is beautifully photographed, the projects are mostly easy ones that knitters of any level can complete with success, and what little there is to read outside of the patterns is great just like the MD blog is. And I LOVE a book that is mostly dedicated to projects made with yarn that can be bought for less than $2 a ball in most stores. :)

My only problem wi
Vicki
May 14, 2014 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love being able to connect with a writer of a craft book. The authors gave us a small glimpse into their lives without being preachy or stuffy. The projects were also great!
Jan
Apr 22, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A knitting book beautiful enough to be displayed on one's coffee table. The authors' writing is entertaining and informative, but most of all inspiring. It moved me to push my knitting into new places, like using drop stitch patterns and more colors, while it also pushed me to try new fibers like linen. Sometimes I just pull it out to stare at the photographs. I even took a photography class from Gale Zucker, who shot the book, I loved it so much. This book has something for everyone--neophyte t ...more
Ashley
Sep 14, 2015 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So I'm not done with this book yet, but the patterns are really poorly written for beginners. The colors, layout, and graphics of the book are great and appealing. However, they really should have had a beginner try to follow their patterns without asking for help. I'm sure they would have found it as frustrating as I am when trying to make this darn baby kimono. I'm sure that I'm about to turn this kimono into a horrible disaster.

The ballband dishcloth pattern was great even though I had to goo
Lucy
Jan 07, 2012 Lucy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't find anything I really wanted to make in here, but the graphics are gorgeous.

***UPDATE 1/7/12 . . . . I do not know what I was thinking the first time I read this book and gave it a two star review--it is awesome. I guess I didn't really get it until I read it really carefully and thoughtfully. THIS BOOK IS RAD. DO NOT RECALL IT FROM THE LIBRARY. I plan to renew and renew and renew until I have made all the things I want to make, some of which will require a deep level of commitment tha
Jan
Jul 19, 2012 Jan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A knitting book beautiful enough to display on one's coffee table. The authors' writing entertains and informs, but most of all inspires. It moved me to push my knitting into new places, like using drop stitch patterns and more colors, which it also encouraged me to try new fibers, like linen. Sometimes I just pull it out to stare at the photographs. I even took a photography class from Gale Zucker, who shot the book, I love it so much. This book has something for everyone--neophyte to expert--a ...more
Inder
Gorgeous photos, some great-looking projects, and fun, easy-going, chatty text. These ladies make knitted dish cloths seem hip, cool, and totally with-the-times (so ecologically sound!), which is sayin' something.

My only complaint is that the patterns are a bit difficult to read and full of omissions (like, how many skeins of yarn does the pattern require?). If you're a beginner, you may need a basic knitting book in order to understand the patterns here. However, the style, tone, and can-do att
Nicole
I liked reading this, I might read it again, the pattern that I was working on at the time came out good.
Yvonne
Jun 05, 2014 Yvonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
This is a good book. I was expecting a typical pattern book. Not so. This book is cleverly written to both entertain and instruct.
cristina g. dowdle
One of my favorite & most borrowed knitting books. The patterns are great & well written.
Cheryl Branz
Apr 01, 2016 Cheryl Branz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good book. I made a blanket that was in this book. The log cabin blanket.

Canesgalactica
Jan 15, 2013 Canesgalactica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of the few knitting books I own in which I sat down and actually read the commentary and amusing stories that accompanied the patterns.

It was funny in parts and endearing in others. The patterns range from household items (like dishcloths and bath mats) to lingerie and baby items. Many of them are very nice and easy to follow (though many of them utilize Peaches and Cream (or like cotton yarn) and sportweight (which I never seem to have on hand in large quantities).

Either wa
Birgit
Apr 26, 2009 Birgit rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An likable how-to set amidst the story of a developing friendship between two knitters. This book is more suited to knitters who enjoy looking upon their knitting projects--all over the house. As a callout box on one page says, "I have a very strong urge to knit all the furniture." And this just isn't me. I don't need felted boxes or knit bathmats or negligees. But as always, I loved perusing the colorful and creative projects (though most I'll never try). This novice knitter is still amazed at ...more
Nicole
Apr 30, 2016 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Could've used a little more instruction on the patterns.
Bibliothekerin
Dec 28, 2015 Bibliothekerin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
This book is great, full of quick patterns for practical things like baby bibs, a throw and a blanket. "Baby Bib o’Love" is the cutest darn baby bib pattern I have yet to see. Shaped into 3 'petals'.

I also like the Flying Geese Blanket pattern (looks like the Flying Geese quilt pattern) and the Moderne Log Cabin Blanket, which, although it looks nothing like the traditional Log Cabin quilt pattern (which is OK!). It is modern-looking, abstract, big blocks of color. Sophisticated and refined. Kin
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Scarf Style
  • Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • The Opinionated Knitter
  • Knitting Rules!: The Yarn Harlot Unravels the Mysteries of Swatching, Stashing, Ribbing & Rolling to Free Your Inner Knitter
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • Weekend Knitting: 50 Unique Projects and Ideas
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles: A Manual of Elegant Knitting Techniques and Patterns
  • A Treasury of Knitting Patterns