Start by marking “Jonah & the Great Big Fish” as Want to Read:
Jonah & the Great Big Fish

Jonah & the Great Big Fish

Rhonda Gowler Greene retells this popular Bible story an a way that will teach children that they should obey God, since he knows best.
Published August 26th 2007 by Zonderkidz

To ask other readers questions about Jonah & the Great Big Fish, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jonah & the Great Big Fish

Jamie
Aug 04, 2014 Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story of Jonah and the whale is one of the most popular Old Testament stories in the bible and one young children learn early on in Sunday school. I understand completely – it’s one of those larger than life stories that’s fascinating and one you learn many life lessons from. I’m always happy to find a great children’s version of the story too! Like this one :).

The pictures are fun, the story clear and my favorite part? It rhymes! For younger children (this one is for 4-8 year olds), one of
Juanita
Sep 07, 2015 Juanita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through BookLook Bloggers [Harpercollins Publishers] book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

J_140_245_Book_1286_coveronah and the Great Big Fish
by Rhonda Gowler Greene [Illu
Crystal Carder
Jul 22, 2014 Crystal Carder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonah and the Great Big Fish is a perfect recreation of the famous biblical story, Jonah and the Whale. In this book we learn about a man name Jonah who disobeys God's wishes for him to go preach to the people of Nineveh but instead boards a ship and causes a great storm. This book brings the story of Jonah to life for young children.

The book, which is hardcover, is made with great quality. In fact, the book's cover actually had a smooth, soft like texture to. Written in a rhyme like fashion, th
Jalynn Patterson
About the Book:

God told Jonah to obey,

said, Go to Nineveh this day.

But, stubborn Jonah fled instead.

Didn t do just what God said.

Jonah s disobedience landed him inside a big fish! And there he had time to think and pray.

Children will feel the waves and hear the splash as Jonah sinks down and down and down into the belly of the fish. This story serves as an excellent reminder of how important it is to listen to God."

About the Author:

Rhonda Gowler Greene is the author of over twenty picture books.
Lindsey Silvestrini
My kids are familiar with the story of Jonah and the whale but it's a classic that just never gets old! Every writer tells it a little bit differently and the illustrations can make or break the story. The team of Rhonda Cowler and Margaret Spengler as illustrator are a winning combo for a book my kids loved in Jonah and the Great Big Fish.

Reed is six and just finished Kindergarten. He is not a big reader. I have been slacking a bit on reading with him over the summer because we've been so busy
Alyssa
Greene stays true to the Biblical story of Jonah and even manages to do so with adorable rhyme. The concept is obviously a bit beyond an almost two year old, but I was, and am, hoping it will be a book my child can grow into. Even more importantly, a book that can teach her a lesson about obeying God.

'Jonah's' biggest hurdle? The illustrations. While I find them whimsy and artistic, they also feel blurry and out of focus. It is hard to get younger children to focus on the book when there aren't
Brenda
Jul 27, 2014 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonah and the Great Big Fish is filled with eye catching illustrations that is sure to capture the eye and imagination of your little ones. The book opens with scripture from Jonah 1 1:2 with God telling Jonah to go to the city of Nineveh, of course Jonah doesn't obey and he winds up inside the belly of a fish. Written in rhyme the story sticks very close to scripture using simplistic words that youngsters will certainly understand. What a wonderful way to introduce youngsters to a beloved story ...more
Shauna
Aug 12, 2014 Shauna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweetly illustrated and very simple version of the story of Jonah and the whale. Soft, cartoony pictures accompany a couple of sentences on each page. The text rhymes and is easy to read. This would be a good book for preschoolers or just beginning readers. My kids and I enjoyed this retelling of the story, but my one concern is that I would have liked it to continue on a bit farther to see God's grace extended not only to Jonah but to Nineveh as well. It ends instead when Jonah agrees ...more
Jul 07, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
JONAH AND THE GREAT BIG FISH is a totally cute illustrated Bible story for the preschooler and young reader in your life. Written in rhyme, with fun sized letters and font to illustrate the point, it clearly shows the story how wet and scared the sailors were, how frightened Jonah must've been as he was swallowed by the whale, and what he did while in the whale's stomach.

Parents and Grandparents and other caregivers will want to pick up a copy of JONAH AND THE GREAT BIG FISH. Also perfect for c
Senna
Jul 21, 2014 Senna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told in a creative rhyming verse, this book is a great way to introduce young children to the Biblical story of Jonah. The story of Jonah could come across as a little alarming to some young children, the idea of being swallowed by a whale is pretty scary. However this text presents the idea in a gentle and positive manner.
Melissa
Jonah and the Great Big Fish is a cute rhyming story of the book of Jonah. Over all I liked the book and thought the rhyming was witty and creative. I wished that Rhonda extended the story a bit towards the end of the book of Jonah. The book pretty much ends when Jonah is out of the "great big fish" I would of loved to have at least a part of how the people of Nineveh repented when Jonah shared the word of the Lord.
As for the illustrations they are cute and have some whimsy but nothing to wow to
Beyond the Pages
Sep 01, 2014 Beyond the Pages rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Zonderkidz book tells the story of Jonah. With rhythmical words and colorful illustrations, Jonah and the Great Big Fish takes youngsters on a grand adventure. Readers will find Scripture, kid-friendly artwork, and memorable content. Parents will love the simplicity of the story and find it to be a superb introduction to this remarkable Bible character.

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Recommend: Yes
Rachel Reyes
Rachel Reyes rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2016
Loren & Rachel
Loren & Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Santana Hicks
Santana Hicks marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Tam
Tam marked it as to-read
May 10, 2011