Start by marking “Dreadnought (H.I.V.E, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dreadnought

Mark Walden

Dreadnought (H.I.V.E. #4)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  2,338 ratings  ·  73 reviews
The fourth book in H.I.V.E. Working title was stormfront.
Published 2009 by Bloomsbury

To ask other readers questions about Dreadnought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreadnought

Hayden
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

MAJOR EPIC GIANT MASSIVE HUGE ENORMOUS CLIFFHANGER!!!!!

Actually, I have Rougue in front of me, so I don't really care :)
Still, I feel sorry for everybody who doesn't have it.

This book had quite a few twists and things in (Vicontessa?), which this book even more exciting than it already was. I wasn't expecting to find out about the person who trained Raven, although I never found out why she left Furan and joined Dr. Nero. Maybe I'll find out in the n
Hikachi
Bayla
As I continue to read this series, I find it more and more unbelievable that these guys are meant to be villains -- perhaps because they are always stopping bigger villains from destroying the world.
Jaden
Dreadnought is the fourth book in the series, H.I.V.E, which is a story about a school, pretty much in the middle of nowhere which trains elite kids/teens to become villains.

This story's protoganists are Otto Malpense. Otto is a highly intelligent 13 year-old who is able to hack anything electronic and understands difficult problems like they're child's play. Next character is Otto's best friend, Wing Fong. He is best at martial arts and pretty much anything that has to do with physical stren
Tony Keefer
In this 4th installment of the H.I.V.E. series, Otto and his friends are led into another death-defying adventure that involves stopping a new competitor to G.L.O.V.E.'s dominance as the leading super villains in the world.

The action sequences in Dreadnought are riveting, though a little darker than the previous books. A few more deaths are involved this time around.

Walden had struck a chord with readers like me. His vision of what cutting edge technology can do is both alarming and interesting.
Brooke
I have been a fan of hive since the first one. I like the young teen characters, the world Waldon has created, and the action. Because I forget important things like, how books end that I read, it is helpful that Waldon included a bit from the past as one reads along.
Elizabeth
Bless this book for going right in all the places it could have gone wrong.

When I first started this series I was a little cynical, a book about a school for super-villainous children? But I was proved wrong, and happily so. Everything about this series is wonderful, and exciting and it makes me happy.

No this is not high literature, it is happy literature - on the grounds that it makes me happy.

But serious RAVEN! and Shelby and Laura and Wing and Otto ALSO Lucy was pretty awesome. And I guess N
IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Otto and his friends Wing, Laura, & Shelby are still at H.I.V.E., the Higher Institute of Villainous Education learning how to become the world’s top supervillains. They have mad skills in computer hacking, martial arts and stealth.

This time, a rogue group of villains have decided to takeover G.L.O.V.E. (Global League Of Villainous Enterprises) and start their own sinister group. To do that, they have to bring down G.L.O.V.E. leader, Diabolus Darkdoom. To get to him they do what bad guys alw
Melissa
It took a while to re-acquaint myself with these well-loved characters, having read the previous book almost five years back. Dreadnought delivers the same exciting action and dose of trouble that seem to follow Otto, Wing, and their band of villainous heroes at H.I.V.E.- a secret school for super-villains of the future.

Still fresh out of their previous life-threatening experience, the group embarks on a training mission but instead gets into another precarious situation that forces them to fig
Justin Yan

This book was somewhat unsatisfactory compared to the other books in the series. That doesn't at all mean the book is anywhere near bad, it just started a bit predictable at the beginning. The introduction of the massive Dreadnought obviously points out something involving it is going to happen, and true to the H.I.V.E. style, HOPE commandos infiltrate the Dreadnought and capture Darkdoom along with the Dreadnought. Otto, his friends, Nero, and Raven narrowly escape the clutches of H.O.P.E. and

Crowinator
One-sentence summary: The fourth book in the H.I.V.E (Higher Institute of Villainous Education) series continues the adventures of a group of good kids attending a secret school run by a league of supervillains (the Global League of Villainous Enterprises).

This is an entertaining, energetic read that I sped through in a couple hours. It won't connect with everyone, because the writing is a bit stiff and entirely too wordy for the intended audience, but otherwise, this would be perfect for kids
Natalie C.
The cliffhangers are getting really good, but the plot arrangement is really strange, like it doesn’t even say a lot about the Disciples motives or explain Lucy very much. Lucy doesn’t really even have a personality, she’s just kind of there. And her “secret identity” was already done by Shelby! It seems very fictional that the Air Force could not do anything, or that there was no Carbon Monoxide alarm in the White House. The stories are getting very repetitive.
Rachel
H.I.V.E 4:Dreadnought is about four kids Otto, Wing, Laura and Stella who go to H.I.V.E, the Higher Institute for Villainous Education, which is a school located in the middle of a dormant volcanoe and teaches gifted studends how to be a villain. When the school takes a field trip to the north pole Nigel, the son of the leader of G.L.O.V.E the Global League Of Villainous Enterprises, is captured along with his father by a senior leader of G.L.O.V.E it is now up to Otto amd his friends to save th ...more
PurplyCookie
It’s up to Otto to save the world from a renegade faction of the world’s most powerful villains, known as the Disciples. And when they kidnap two of Otto’s friends, things get personal.

Otto and a few of his fellow students from H.I.V.E.—-the Higher Institute of Villainous Education—-head to America in order to track down their missing friends. The search quickly leads them to one of the U.S. military’s most top-secret locations, where it becomes clear that the Disciples are not at all they appe
Swapnil V.
Kat Goldin
HIVE: Dread Nought

My library owns all the HIVE books (some I had to purchase via eBay through England) and although I have now read the 4th installment, I can fully agree with the followers that HIVE is a great fiction work of intrigue. This is the 4th in the series of British author Mark Walden so seamlessly explores the work and happenings of GLOVE (Global League Of Villainous Enterprises). In this adventure of time and friendship, Otto’s and his friends foil a plot to take over the world. One
Ploy
Characterization has really improved since the first book, especially in Otto Malpense. He makes jokes, speaks sarcasm, and even smiles a lot more too. Nice change there, from what he used to be as a someone who had absolutely no sense of humor at all.

The narration is quite slow and has too much unnecessary detail. It does not flow very well.

Also the main conflict is very unimaginative; a billionaire guy tries to mass murder millions of people so he can rule the world. Like Mojo Jojo (powerpuff
Stephen
As the H.I.V.E. students triumph or fail readers will feel the excitement of the characters. Many teen boys will enjoy this series; and considering the hints at budding romance between some characters; girls can enjoy these books too.
Stephen
Benedict Reid
This series is still fun... but it was interesting that I was happy waiting a couple of years before reading this book. And I'm not rushing out to get the next in the series. I guess that like many of these teen series, each book is stand-alone and doesn't progress the overall story very quickly.
Andy
In this exciting adventure, Otto and his friends must find the dreadnought and stop the evil super computer in his quest to rule the world. With the incredible smarts, physical attributes, and amazing technology Otto needs to find out how to match wits with the smartest thing ever... a computer. The dreadnought is a giant floating machine that can hide itself in a man made storm. Imagine trying to find a hidden machine in the whole world with a super computer that knows all the weather patterns ...more
Raini
I thought it was confusing at first then it made sense at the end. I loved this book.
Lloyd
Back to form - an exciting adventure, though I'm sure that goes without saying.
Eric
The kids who attend the Higher Institute of Villainous Education (H.I.V.E.) are being groomed to become the supervillains of tomorrow. But some of them keep breaking the rules. Otto, for example, is the worst offender of the lot. In this adventure he rescues the President of the United States. That's strictly against school policy. He'll never get into the Anti-Justice League with that kind of behavior.

Full review here: http://superheronovels.com/2012/08/04...

Laurel
H.I.V.E. is a series with its ups and downs, but unfortunately Dreadnought seemed to be one of its low points. The plot, despite introductions of new characters and conflicts, was far less exciting than the previous books, and the characters and dialogue were little more than rehash from earlier installments of the series. Though the cliffhanger gives the dedicated reader just enough hope to continue with the series, Dreadnought is not the best example of Walden’s work.
Calum Futty
I know these books are aimed at younger people but i just cant seem to get enough of this series im officially hooked. Highly reccomend to be adapted into a film series.
Zoë (Toastie)
This series is getting so good! I would've given it 5 stars but since there are quite a few books I'm going to wait for one which is truly outstanding for those 5 stars - or another book with either Laura and Otto kissing or Shelby and Wing! hehe :D
Elise
It was really good and had a surprising ending.
Christian Emmanuel
  • The End of Infinity (Jack Blank Adventure, #3)
  • The Reckoning (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #3)
  • The Eternal War (TimeRiders, #4)
  • Jimmy Coates: Assassin? (Jimmy Coates, #1)
  • The Cheerleaders of Doom (NERDS, #3)
  • Villains Rising (The Cloak Society, #2)
  • The Lab (Agent Six of Hearts, #1)
  • Rise Of The Heroes (Hero.Com, #1)
  • The Rising (Department 19, #2)
  • By Royal Command (Young Bond, #5)
I am the world’s laziest man.

No…really. Not just a bit slack, really, truly, breathtakingly lazy.

Which is why it’s taken me so long to get off my big, lazy rear end and get myself properly on-line.

I’m the author of the HIVE series of books which I hope that some of the people who stumble across this might have read and enjoyed. Or read and hated…

I am fortunate enough to live with the two most beau
More about Mark Walden...
H.I.V.E. Higher Institute of Villainous Education (H.I.V.E., #1) The Overlord Protocol (H.I.V.E., #2) Escape Velocity (H.I.V.E., #3) Rogue (H.I.V.E, #5) Zero Hour (H.I.V.E, #6)