Start by marking “I'm with Stupid” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
I'm with Stupid

Gina Barreca

I'm with Stupid

Is God male or female? Why do women, but not men, flush public toilets with their feet? Why are men, but not women, obsessed with parallel parking? Why do women, but not men, leave eleven-minute messages on answering machines? Why do men feel guilty about nothing, and women feel guilty about everything? Was Marilyn Monroe...fat?
These philosophical quandaries, and more, a
Published January 27th 2004 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about I'm with Stupid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm with Stupid

Dominique
Jul 28, 2013 Dominique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
Wow this book is just amazing,I just finished in almost in one day. When I first saw this book I wasn't sure if it was a good purchase. My original intent was to learn about the misconception to between the two genders.

And I am happy to say that this books delivers and does more. The team of a male newspaper humor columnist and a female English professor who is a expert in humor and feminism to explain the misunderstandings of between the sexes. Sounds funny when you hear about it, well its hil
Nishani
Sep 02, 2008 Nishani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nishani by: Heather
This is SUCH a hilarious book. I laughed/giggled my way through almost every chapter. I've had people stare at me while reading this book in public because I just couldn't control my fits of laughter. Its written in dialog/debate format and gives good insight into the very different ways that men and women think. This is an old subject, I know, but its worth a read just for the humor. Heather and Dorothy, thanks for recommending this book to me we're going to be talking about it next time we mee ...more
Natasha
Aug 16, 2009 Natasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stand-outs
FANTASTIC,

what a neat idea for a book. Honestly! I can't imagine better coauthors.
Some books I've read have reviews that state, "Laugh out loud" and I never do. Most of the jokes I read in books I just appreciate in my head, never do I 'laugh out loud'. But with this book - that's a whole other story. I couldn't stop laughing.
This was fantastic. Like a manuscript, it could totally be made into a play. I'll reread it forever.
Mackenzie
Aug 16, 2009 Mackenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, 2009
Let's just say this book was AMAZING, and even that is an understatement in my opinion. I absolutely loved this book. Many books claim to be LOL funny and they seldom are, this one was different; it was downright hilarious! I laughed so many times to the point that my stomach was starting to hurt. :) Some places it's a little crude, but still funny. I found it to be such an interesting topic for a book. It was great! :)
Diane
A newspaper columnist and a feminist academic writes about the differences of men and women. With topics ranging from history to humor to parallel parking, throw in some men vs. women challenges (i.e. buying cars, writing novels and poems), lots of sexist comments and some big words that my dictionary can't recognize and you get a hilarious book that explains the raging (:P) war of the sexes. :)))
May 23, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
Okay I really liked this book, maybe even loved it, but I haven't rated a book 5 stars in so long, I just couldn't. We lost power last night, and I had like 3 pages left, and I finished by candle light. This book is just funny. I read in public a lot and was laughing out loud, asking people if I could read them parts. I finished this book in under a week, amazing! It is so enjoyable. Great summer read.
Nova Bennett
Feb 05, 2012 Nova Bennett rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The authors claim their book to be less patronizing, less insulting, less passive aggressive and more funny than Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus. Unfortunately, they are incorrect on all counts. Between the terrible writing, awful presentation, and shelves of unfunny jokes, I couldn't even finish it.
Jim
Nov 10, 2007 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is a man or woman.
From the Boop/Ventura continuum to the differences between the genders while car shopping, this is a witty and engaging look at the differences between men and women.

My favorite story involved the word 'schnauzer'.
James Pritchert
Jul 14, 2013 James Pritchert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is either a man or a woman
Recommended to James by: Met the authors
This is one funny book. It is written by two absolutely brilliant people and it will keep you going. I meet both authors and spoke with them about the book and other things. That was one excellent day and I enjoyed myself immensely.
Jo
Jul 06, 2010 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, non-fiction
A newspaper columnist and feminist/humour academic discuss gender specific stereotypes. It's actually funnier than that sounds and I found myself nodding along to quite a lot of the views. It's not a serious study but is an enjoyable read.
Amir
Feb 21, 2007 Amir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and eye-opening. Crash course in feminism. You'll need a dictionary for reading this book, as the authors use many words never seen before (not by me at least). Didn't like the title and especially not the subtitle. Oh, well.
Rebecca
Jun 14, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written as extended debate with the viewpoint of a male humorist from the Washington Post and a femminst Connecticut Professor with a sense of humor. A lot of basic topics and insight into how the other side thinks. An easy read and a lot of fun.
Holly
Sep 20, 2015 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
A Pulitzer prize winning reporter and a feminist academic coauthor a book on .... gender stereotypes and fart jokes? The title is terrible, but I can't help it, it's a fun book.
Catvest
Aug 08, 2010 Catvest rated it really liked it
So funny..I pretty much learned about all the differences between men and women. I never realized how opposite we are and how we think...
Hillary
Jun 16, 2011 Hillary rated it liked it
Good silly, summer read. The authors are pretty hilarious and bring up interesting questions on gender relations.
Mark
Nov 18, 2007 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very funny contrast between the sexes...
Colleen Shaw
Jan 10, 2013 Colleen Shaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intelligent in an entertaining way. A fun but not frivolous read.
Terry
very, very funny book. feminist humor at its best
Susan
Oct 16, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Willing to loan or trade for another Gina Barreca book :-).
Alene
Jun 28, 2007 Alene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps not the most insightful book about relationships, but totally hilarious!
Wendy
Jun 18, 2009 Wendy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've seen her speak and she's wonderfully funny!
Laural
Aug 12, 2008 Laural rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
too funny!
Jun 03, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A humorous book written as a conversation between a man Gene, and a woman Gina that taps into gender differences on everything from thoughts and actions. Reading the book is like listening to two radio show hosts battling it out verbally with good-natured humor and historical and literary references to back up expressed opinions. With chapters entitled "Why We Are Screwed: The Inordinate Importance of Sex" and "Infidelity: Get Out Your Hanky. And Your Panky." It's hard not to find something for ...more
Denise Louise
Apr 19, 2014 Denise Louise rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Ugh. Same old, same old. After noting in their introduction that they hoped to avoid "unnecessary generalizations", they proceed to write a book that was nothing but. If there were any new insights, they were lost in the foolishness of the dialog. No need to waste time finishing it; it didn't even make me laugh.
Chapters 9, 12, and 21 were ok. Some of the other chapters were very tough to sit through. Too much stereotypical stuff. The IM/Chat like conversation was more a distraction. Especially when one person went on a rant that you can tell came from a full essay. The book is good for the bathroom.
Kristi Fedorowicz
A quick, funny read. Good for a break from the deep stories I usually read. Made me laugh out loud a few times.
Julia
Oct 31, 2016 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was super funny. Loved the idea and the dialogue - would highly recommend to anyone looking for an entertaining read.
Laura rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Very New Orleans: A Celebration of History, Culture, and Cajun Country Charm
  • Ham Biscuits, Hostess Gowns, and Other Southern Specialties: An Entertaining Life (with Recipes)
  • Bell, Book and Candle
  • Fa Mulan: The Story of a Woman Warrior
  • I Killed: True Stories of the Road from America's Top Comics
  • It's Not That I'm Bitter . . .: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Visible Panty Lines and Conquered the World
  • Tropical Gothic
  • Creationists: Selected Essays: 1993-2006
  • Youngblood 3
  • Tales of the Spiderwoman: New Poetry
  • Fatal Flaw
  • Sanduguan ng Sangkalawakan! (Kikomachine Komix, #10)
  • Marriage Fitness: 4 Steps to Building & Maintaining Phenomenal Love
  • The Package Deal: My (not-so) Glamorous Transition from Single Gal to Instant Mom
  • The Filipino Heroes League: Sticks and Stones (The Filipino Heroes League, #1)
  • The Maid of the North: Feminist Folk Tales from Around the World
  • Some Day You'll Thank Me for This: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Being a "Perfect" Mother
  • Die Smiling (Claire Morgan, #3)
Dr. Gina Barreca, author of the new book If You Lean In, Will Men Just Look Down Your Blouse? Questions and Thoughts for Loud, Smart Women in Turbulent Times is also the author of It's Not That I'm Bitter: How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Visible Panty Lines and Conquered the World. Gina has appeared on 20/20, The Today Show, CNN, the BBC, Dr. Phil, NPR and Oprah to discuss gender, power, poli ...more
More about Gina Barreca...